1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which Dolphins Greats u guys talked too?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by dolfan40, Mar 23, 2014.

1. dolfan40

dolfan40 Well-Known Member

Jul 15, 2013
    Germany
    Im imterested in reading ur storys

2. PhinsRDbest

PhinsRDbest Transform and Transcend

Jan 5, 2010
    the next dimension
    I talked to Joe Robbie last night! We had an interesting convo about pickles.

MrClean likes this.
  3. dWreck

dWreck formerly dcaf

Oct 23, 2011
    Sebring, FL
    Well that escalated quickly

4. Phins_Fan_87

Phins_Fan_87 Phins and Heat fan Club Member

Mar 9, 2013
    Weston
    I have talked to keith sims(autograph session), jason taylor(mall), Dan Marino(golf course). can't think of any others right now.

5. MonstBlitz

MonstBlitz Nobody's Fart Catcher

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    Had a super deep conversation with Ronnie Brown in the hotel lobby of the Westin in downtown Denver in 2008.

Me: Good luck today, Ronnie!
    Ronnie: Thanks!

That's all I got.

Sadly, the most interesting real life encounter I've had with any NFL personality was Tom Donahoe, former GM of the Buffalo Bills. My old finance professor knew him and had him teach us a class on the NFL salary cap. It was fascinating. I learned a lot, most of which I've all forgotten. The funny part of the story was I showed up to class a couple minutes late and as I walked in my professor called me out as being a Dolphins fan which got a rise out of Tom but he was cool about it.

6. Aquafin

Aquafin New Member

Jun 16, 2011
    the poor house
    I talked to Dave Wannstedt and I asked him why he drafted Eddie Moore and he told me he was the best player available and he had comical value of tripping out . I asked Dave who was the best olineman and he said without a doubt it was Tim Ruddy .

he also said from a standpoint that Jay Fiedler gave us the best chance to win.

I also asked Jason Taylor hey man where did you get those two knots on the front of the forehead and Jason said McMichael put those knots on his head .

kiddng on all above.

7. BevoPhin

BevoPhin Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2013
    Used to go to TC as a kid and met a lot of badasses like JT and zach.

I met met sparano at a hotel but the douche wouldn't talk football.

Ricky was by far the coolest dolphin I've met as he'll actually talk football and won't rush off. And, he's still driving that old jeep which is pretty badass.

8. phinswolverinesrockets

phinswolverinesrockets If he dies, he dies

Oct 31, 2013
    Houston
    does clyde gates count?

9. dolfan40

dolfan40 Well-Known Member

Jul 15, 2013
    Germany
    Yes,players coaches etc..i will gurantee if i make the roster as first Rb ever u guys can visit me and got Dinner

10. Rick 1966

Rick 1966 Professional Hipshooter

Nov 23, 2007
    Powell, WY
    I ran into Larry Czonka at Katmai National Park in Alaska. I was there to photograph the Alaskan Coastal Brown bears and he was filming his TV show.
    Really nice guy...really BIG guy too.

[​IMG]

11. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    When I was a kid, I played flag football with Mark Duper's kid. This was probably the mid 90's after he retired, and not the kid he got arrested for beating. I don't remember much about him, he wasn't there all the time. There was a kids vs. adults mixed game and my dad tackled Mark Duper and was very excited about it.

I saw Jared Odrick at Zona Fresca in Ft. Lauderdale like a year ago. He was picking up food and I just waved, I don't think anyone else recognized him.

12. RoninFin4

RoninFin4 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    The only Dolphin great I've ever met and talked to was Paul Warfield. Very nice guy.

I also have met Jason Taylor, Jed Weaver, Troy Drayton, and Rob Konrad. All were pretty nice; Weaver was the only one that I ever talked to at length. Nice guy, but you could tell he's taken some shots to the head. Weaver talked a lot about that wild-card game against Indy where Lamar Smith went off for 200+. Said the team was just shot physically after that game.

Working with Anthony Munoz we used to bring in a bunch of HOF players for one of our events. While there I met Gale Sayers, Leroy Kelly, Paul Hornung, Charley Taylor, Paul Krause, Steve Largent, Oscar Robertson (NBA), and Johnny Bench (MLB). That was pretty cool. The highlight for me was Gale Sayers in a landslide.

jegol71 likes this.
  13. RickyBobby

RickyBobby VIP DIY

Sep 22, 2009
    Palm beach
    I know for a fact one of the members here ran a route against Chris Clemons when he bumped into him at Costco. I believe paper towel was used as the football.

14. bran

bran Senior Member

Dec 20, 2007
    New Hampshire
    did clemons drop the paper towel? i kid i kid of course he did. :tongue2:

15. Kevlared

Kevlared New Member

Jun 8, 2013
    i talked to oronde gadsden last night at the membership event at the stadium.

16. Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell Post Hard, Post Often Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    On the phone with Jeff Ireland right now.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Disgustipate likes this.
  17. RickyBobby

RickyBobby VIP DIY

Sep 22, 2009
    Palm beach
    Brian Cox. He was late to the scheduled signing session. I was a kid and it was at the blockbuster in Royal Palm Beach, FL.

18. I grew up in the same town as Jim Kick did and my Dad use to drink with him and Czonka at the local American Legion. I met both of them a bunch of times but I was very young. When your 7 those guys seem like giants.

I also met Bohkamper at his restaurant outside the stadium. He was a class act. I dont live in the area and was there on work so I stopped in for a burger just because. I bought a couple of his baseball caps from my waitress for me and my dad. Instead of my waitress coming back with them, he did. He sat at my table and we chewed the fat for a good fifteen minutes and then he signed my caps for me. Super nice guy and very down to earth.

jegol71 likes this.
  19. Califin

Califin Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Some years back, I was with a number of fans gathered behind the endzone while they were out here practicing at UCSD campus before a Charger game.

The offense was working on redzone stuff, so they were not far away, and a couple players walked up and were talking to us, think one was Lamar Thomas.

Marino was leaning against the goal post, facing away from us, watching the coaches.

A couple fans called out, "Hi Dan!" from behind the cheesy plastic fencing, but he never turned around.

He actually kinda moved further around the thick, padded goal post, opposite from where they were,

so they couldn't see him. :lol:

20. Boik14

Boik14 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    I met Dan Marino 2x. A friend that my mom grew up with used to live in the same development where he lived. Got to meet him briefly there..i forget how that happened...it was about 15-20 years ago. The 2nd time I met him I walked down to the CBS pregame show about 4-5 years ago that was hosted Uptown in NYC (I think it was by 66th and Lexington if youre ever in NYC) and showed up in a Marino jersey (of course) in front of a bunch of gross Jet fans haha.

Obviously living in NY I met more Jets and Giants. Some were real cool like Johnny Hector and Wesley Walker. Some were real pricks like Shaun Ellis.

21. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    I talked to Dan Marino on Friday.

22. dWreck

dWreck formerly dcaf

Oct 23, 2011
    Sebring, FL
    I remember this, and if I remember correctly, It was a "toy mouse" or a dog toy used as a football (..lol). And unfortunately I'm 99.9% sure it got debunked as 100% BS

23. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    The coolest was probably Kim Bokamper to be honest. Marino's cool and all but sometimes he's a bit grouchy.

I was at Bokamper's with Volin and we sat down at a table by the bar. Then Bokamper comes and sits at the corner table right next to us by himself. Bo saw us and had the waitress get us some drinks on the house. We thanked him and then the three of us just shot the sh-t about the Dolphins woes for the next half hour or so.

I met Zach once but not for very long. Just long enough to realize he's pretty much the nicest guy you could ever meet.

My buddy Vin has some great stories bumping into Richie Incognito and Brian Hartline. He actually bumped into Hartline the night Brian proposed to his fiancee (did they get married yet?). They bumped into each other before the proposal and again after, and Brian had her show off the ring to them and everything.

24. Steve-Mo

Steve-Mo 'Saban' Guy

Apr 14, 2010
    Western New York
    No Dolphins stories for me, but Sam Cowart (Bills training camp 2000?) wouldn't let it go that I accidently had him sign my guide twice. Luckily one of my cats pissed on it shortly after so I got the last laugh.

Sammy Morris was really nice about butchering a card of mine trying to sign it though.

25. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

I think you set a record. I've never seen anyone misspell the names of 3 Dolphins players all in one post before. :lol:

mbsinmisc and shula_guy like this.
  26. KeyFin

KeyFin Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2009
    I grew up with Manny Fernandez as my neighbor, so I met several legends from the 72 team before I even knew who Manny was. He had huge parties for the neighborhood kids and i went to most of them. Unfortunately though, I was a kid and they were adults...so i have no idea who was who. My dad said he had a beer with Czonka at Manny's house though, and I was there swimming in the pool....so I'm counting it.

I've met Dan Marino dozens of times through a friend, and I drove him home once. That's a long story though and I'll save it for another time. If any of you still live in S Fa, shop at the Publix on Weston and 595...you'll see Marino in there several times per week.

I beat Zach Thomas in pool at the Davie Ale House in his rookie year, and he was so drunk he wanted to fight me. JT and another defensive lineman pulled him out of there before he got arrested, and unfortunately I didn't recognize either of them at the time. my friend told me afterwards...you almost got into a fight with Zach Thomas! I was like, well s*#t, if I knew that I would have egged him on and let him beat my ***!

I've casually met Shula in passing a few times, but he also cussed me out once (well, he cussed out my friend, an autograph hound). That's another long story though.

Oh, I've met both Duper and Clayton...they came to my church for a charity drive when I was a teen and played a pickup game with us. They were both super nice, but this was also at the end of their career.

Oh, one more...I went to school with Autry Denson, so that's a Dolphin I know too.

27. Steve-Mo

Steve-Mo 'Saban' Guy

Apr 14, 2010
    Western New York
    Shouldn't JT have been at school during ZT's rookie year? Cool stories nevertheless.

slickj101 and MrClean like this.
  28. ScottishFin

ScottishFin Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Met Nat Moore when we played the Giants in London. Spent a decent amount of time chatting to him, he was surprised how much people in the UK knew about the NFL and the Dolphins. Really nice guy to chat to

29. MonstBlitz

MonstBlitz Nobody's Fart Catcher

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    Let's have the long stories, we have time.

30. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    So, is he going to take the janitor job or...?

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk 4

31. KeyFin

KeyFin Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2009
    Super busy with work, but I'll try tonight.

MonstBlitz likes this.
  32. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

Yup. When Zach was a rookie, JT was still in college. in Ohio.

33. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    I once played a Turkey Bowl game lined up against a dude who looked like Greg Camarillo.

MonstBlitz likes this.
  34. Alex13

Alex13 Tua Time !!! Club Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Berlin,Germany
    american bowl denver vs miami at berlin, we had a training session with the dolphins, when I was still playing and I talked to scott secules, mark clayton and some other guys i canĀ“t remember also when i was in london for the giants @ dolphins game, i talked to john beck, samson satele and john denney

35. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    If the story is true I'd assume it was Zachs second year. Easy mistake.

36. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    My ex gf dealt craps to JT the night before a BUF game in 2010. She didn't know who he was until afterwards.

A lot of my family has met Jim Kelly, whom they said was as cool as you'd expect. A few of them have met Steve Tasker and apparently he's a complete tool.

I have a friend who worked for the Bills PR for a few years and he's got some funny lockerroom stories. The best of which involves Willis McGahee walking around naked and accusing an intern of being a, "meat-gazer." Somehow it managed to not be an E!SPN scandal.

37. dolphindebby

dolphindebby Season Ticket Holder Luxury Box

Nov 26, 2007
    GA
    I met Joe Rose and a number of other guys at a scrimiage game in Atlanta. It's been so long ago. And I have autographs from some of them. but there in a picture frame under another picture.(and I can't remember which one it is):sad:

I have Duper"s autograph from a basketball game at GA. Tech. He was so nice. And there was a QB their, but he got hurt in a pre-season game and never played again.

I got a good picture of Shula from the Pre-season game in Atl.

38. 2socks

2socks Rebuilding Since 1973

Nov 27, 2008
    Atlanta
    Don't know if you would call him a "great" but I met Vonnie Holiday in 2003. At the time he was playing for the Kansas City Chiefs and he came in to lay out his new Condo with me. At the time he brought his girlfriend. I cant remember her name but they were supposed to get married. My company that I owned did the electrical work. He had us do a ton of extra stuff for low voltage wiring and plasma theater, whole house audio, theater etc. I remember asking him about stuff and he asked me what was my favorite team. I told him the dolphins and showed him my necklace. He laughed and made a comment about I should like a real team like Kansas City, funny part was less then 6 months later he signed a two yr deal with a million dollar signing bonus with none other then the Miami Dolphins.....lol. He never paid us for all the extra wiring either

39. Killer Bees

Killer Bees Bringin' the Ruckus

Aug 14, 2011
    I've met Ronnie Brown, Channing Crowder, Randy McMichael and Dan Marino all at the restaurant I used to work at. They were all really nice guys. Randy came in the night before we played the pats and he side tipped me $80 bucks for taking his food to his car. I said to him you guys better whoop up on the pats tomorrow and he responded "that's the game plan". We ended up winning that day because of me lol and he scored. I posted it on here a while back when all the Hartline contract talk was going on but I met him on New Years 2 years ago and he was extremely nice. Went out of his way to introduce me to his girl and the people he was with, I told him I hope he gets resigned and asked him a few random dolphin questions. He seemed surprised someone knew who he was, great guy. Also Cam Wake stayed at the same hotel as me that new years night, saw him getting into his jaguar I think it was when we were leaving, I screamed CAMMMM like a school girl from the car haha. Dan was always kind of a jerk when he came in.

40. 54Fins

54Fins "In Gase we trust"

Nov 29, 2007
    over there
    I talked with: Bokamper/Mandich when they were doing a pre game on 560? I think...
    I met and spoke with Zach (cool as sh**), Wanny, Ruddy (very intelligent guy) and Brock Marion ( he had to go, was hitting on the white chicks)
    Met and spoke with Earl Morrall. (asked him why Shula didn't start him instead of Griese in the SB) :shifty:
    Talked with Konrad (he still can't block)
    Ran into O.G. on 2 occasions. (he bumped into me at the Walmart around the corner from the stdium before a game) and the other was a meet and greet thing.
    My wife talked to Marino as I was looking for HER in Coconut Grove at a function.Long story, but he wouldn't sign autographs because of a clause in his contract. :pity: Met Jim Kelly though, and he signed the football I had and posed for pics too. I'm pissed at Dan still and Jim had nothing to do with this function, go figure.
    Said Hi to Joe Rose.
    Spoke with Keith Simms (cool friggin' guy)
    Had a brief encounter with Ricky Williams.He signed a poster I had and looked at it first asking me where it came from? I told him I wasn't sure, but he signed it with
    hesitation and looked back at me with red eyes. (ya' know what I'm saying) and smiled. It was a good evening in South Beach....

My encounters aren't like most and I forgot some, but at least I remembered a few. :lol: