1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which 09 Hockey Game Should I get

Discussion in 'Gaming Forum' started by mor911, Sep 10, 2008.

Tags:

Which NHL Game Should I get for 360?

1. NHL 2K9 (By: 2K Sports)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. NHL 09 (By: EA Sports)

11 vote(s)
    100.0%
  1. mor911

mor911 pooping

Nov 25, 2007
    Austin, TX
    Obviously I don't need to pay for them... But in an effort to not get them both and try them both, you guys decide. Which NHL game should I get?

2. Ultra

Ultra Lazy

Mar 24, 2008
    Texas
    I heard EA is awesome this year. I think it got a 9.0 or something from IGN. The create a player and playing from only their perspective up through the minors looks awesome.

3. PeaTearGriffin

PeaTearGriffin Season Ticket Holder

Dec 8, 2007
    From everything I'm hearing its NHL 09 this year

4. Motion

Motion New Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Ah, the good 'ole days.

[​IMG]

vmarcilfan75 likes this.
  5. Regan21286

Regan21286 MCAT's, EMT's, AMCAS, ugh

Dec 3, 2007
    UCLA, CA
    EA's hockey franchise is actually better if you believe it or not. It's much more realistic than 2k's, which is really arcadey. Too bad they can't shovel some of that onto Madden and NBA.

6. brandon27

brandon27 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    NHL 09 for sure... its way above and beyond. EA Canada sure has their crap together with the nhl franchise.

7. Get Up And Go

Get Up And Go New Member

Dec 14, 2007
    Binghamton, NY
    I would hope so. You Canadians love Hockey Ehh:lol:

8. dolfan32323

dolfan32323 ty xphinfanx

Nov 27, 2007
    Washington DC
    I still play NHL07. The NHL0 games are better (EA).

9. unifiedtheory

unifiedtheory Sub Pending Luxury Box

Nov 24, 2007
    Burnaby, BC, Canada
    For all it's issues, NHL 09 will likely be the best.

NHL 08 had major issues for the diehard hockey fan but even with those issues it was a blast to play. No one asked for this but I can't resist...

Issue: frustrating when you out-shoot the computer 40-10 and lose 2-1 even though your goaltender is rated 90 and the computer's was 75.

Issue: the puck leaves the rink 1,000 times a game.

Issue: unbalanced penalties. Getting 1-2 powerplays per game (2 would be HIGH) and being shorthanded 6 times a game is a joke.

Issue: speed is WAY to important. Players that are very mediocre but fast in real life are what they are, mediocre players but in NHL 08 a fast player, regardless of how ****ty their other attributes are is a superstar.

Issue: period length. Since the dawn of time it's been either 5,10 or 20 minute periods. How hard would it be to give us a choice? I've played 5 minute periods since the Genesis days because 10 minutes makes the statistics totally out of whack. 5 minutes is close but I think 8 would be perfect.

Issue: no way in hell should I hit 10 goalposts a game but in '08 I was sometimes doing just that. A normal game would be 3-4 goalposts but the computer would bury it whenever he got a clear shot from the slot.

Issue: the franchise mode, while it has improved over the years, is still too thin. The draft is a bit of a joke. Every "rookie" you can draft after year one has the last name of someone currently in the league. I don't want to draft "Bill Crosby" or "Sergei Ovechkin" and in every draft there are at least a dozen players that are 6'9". Meanwhile, in real life, there are like 5 guys in the NHL that are that tall. How hard would it be to program random names or to come up with random names? Throw darts at a ****ing phone book if you have to.

Issue: player ratings are screwed up every year. If the player is a Canuck or an ex-Canuck you can bet your *** he is rated about 10% higher then he should be and if a guy from the Eastern Conference had a break out year you can bet it will take EA two years to get his rating correct. That is what happens when the people programming the game are all Canuck fans and only see the teams the Canucks play.

/rant...LOL!

10. TheMageGandalf

TheMageGandalf Senior Member

Nov 25, 2007
    FLORIDA
    I think its safe to say that in general, EA thinks that awesome Franchise modes are not good for $$$.

If a Franchise mode has a working draft, although a lot of people will want to play with new rosters and whatnot, the fact is that a good chunk of people would just sit on that version of the game for a few years and not want to upgrade until they saw some really neat new features.

Since EA is all about the $$$, they have somehow come up with the idea that they will lose more money by providing a game with a fully functional full-featured Franchise mode. Thinking all the while that if they just do some minor things here and there and basically try and coax and hype up the next years release, so you *think* it has more features when in fact it really doesn't, in an attempt to get and run off with your $60.

11. TheHighExhaulted

TheHighExhaulted Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2008
    NHL 08 was probably one of the best sports games I have ever played. I guess 09 came out already? I'll have to pick that up.

12. Yarg

Yarg New Member

Jan 3, 2008
    Fort Myers, FL
    I'm a huge Hockey Buff and have been playing hockey games for over 10 years. After playing both series this year, the 2k Series way better imho.

Both aren't that realistic but you can come closer to real hockey in 2k9 than in EA with slider changes.

13. vmarcilfan75

vmarcilfan75 blah...blah...blah... Club Member

Dec 13, 2007
    City Of Angels
    ahhh memories.....good times
    :knucks:

14. unifiedtheory

unifiedtheory Sub Pending Luxury Box

Nov 24, 2007
    Burnaby, BC, Canada
    Well, I picked up 09 today.

First impressions: Smooth looking game and it flows with a lot more realism then last years. They did what I've always hoped they would, made it so you can pick ANY period lengths you want to, FINALLY! They also added a cool feature that you can change your d-pairing or your forward line and not change as a group, also cool.

That said, they messed with the controls to accommodate the line change thing and the line change option is awkward. Nothing pisses me off more then a game that changes the control layout and gives you no option of customizing the controls.

The "custom controls" feature is in the menu but does not work. Apparently from what I've read online is EA did not enable this feature and it will be available in the patch...typical EA.