1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Whether or not you are a Ford person, this is the best.

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by calphin, Sep 2, 2009.

Tags:
  1. azfinfanmang

azfinfanmang Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Really?

I have owned 2 Ford Explorers.

A 92 that I traded in with 160,000 miles for a 96. It never had any issues what-so ever, and I drove it pretty damn hard. Lots and lots of mountain roads. I still got 6K trade in
    I traded my 96 in with 125,000, and ZERO issues..ever...nothing, not even a lightbulb or door handle (Something Toyota is famous for having break). I got 13,000 trade in value on that baby....

Sorry bro, that voice is old and tired....and just not true. :up:

calphin, Boik14, DOLPHAN1 and 2 others like this.
  2. Crappy Tipper

Crappy Tipper AKA Hero13

Aug 23, 2008
    God bless man, can't you just let someone get something uplifting out of something without casting a jaded opinion of it?

It seems at times you could be more selective in deciding when to throw the **** into the fan just for the splatter effect.

I think everybody recognized the fact that this commercial, like most patriotic songs and the like have at the base a desire to make money but can't you also accept the fact that they may also have a genuine message to get across? And even at a minimum sometimes people need to see the good message through the veil of the money making machine.

It certainly isn't a new phenomenon. Do you really think Elton John releasing Candle in the Wind 2 in 1997 with an additional single attached (Something about the way you look tonight) didn't have motive? Did it make the song less touching? For me it didn't, you probably so.

Anyway, I mean no more disrespect in this than I normally do to you :lol: but I just had to toss it at the fan to see what splattered I guess.

Boik14, calphin and azfinfanmang like this.
  3. DOLPHAN1

DOLPHAN1 Premium Member Luxury Box

Thanks Cal for this, I needed that today. Very good message in the "sales pitch", unlike most commercials today. Ford man or not, that really touched me, and I'm generally not a sentimentalist. It is a commercial, but a very well done commercial. Thanks again brother.

4. SargeZ33

SargeZ33 Semperfi!

Jul 24, 2009
    Fleming Island ,FL
    Great video.

calphin likes this.
  5. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    i have a 03 ford explorer only 60k miles.......it sucks......air system is garbage, the dash board lights always stay on and say door ajar when it isnt.....and the idle is a wreck......

guess i just got unlucky.....?

(this isnt a shot at ford, just saying that because 2 guys in here have good long working models doesnt make the company squeaky clean either) :up:

6. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Thank you. Elton John releasing Candle in The Wind 2, is exactly the same type of thing. And yes, it is equally wrong in my opinion.

Further, I'm argued with on too regular a basis to be affecting anyone's uplifting experience....or I'm right.:shifty::tongue2:

Look, if you want to believe in this stuff feel free, all power to you, but my opinion isn't any less valid compared to anyone else's just because some find it a downer. Maybe you shouldn't frequent a opinion message board...:tongue2:

Stitches likes this.
  7. DOLPHAN1

Yes, and unfortunately all levels of manufacturing have an acceptable failure rate percentage.

I don't think anyone is trying to devalue your point of view, however, you seem to have this way about you that just makes everyone say WTF?!?!?!:tantrum:

:lol::lol:

azfinfanmang and calphin like this.
  8. 54Fins

54Fins "In Gase we trust"

Nov 29, 2007
    over there
    2 out of 3 ain't bad.:wink2:

Being directly in the field for 27 years,I beg to differ.
    And...If I typed as well or as fast as most of you here. :lol: I can prove my point for days.

9. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    More specific please. It can be in a pm if necessary. I really am curious about this.

DOLPHAN1 likes this.
  10. Pagan

Pagan Metal & a Mustang

Mar 22, 2008
    Newburgh, NY
    Really? Do tell.

I've owned cars from the 60's, 70's, 80's AND 90's.

Most of the older ones I've owned started rattling and squeaking after maybe 50K, and after 100K got REALLY expensive to own due to repairs.

Just traded in a 2002 Saturn SC2 last year with 165K and not a squeak OR a problem.

11. DOLPHAN1

Done.:up:

Fin D likes this.
  12. Boik14

Boik14 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    Having worked in the ad business its effective and smart because it gets you to think about whats important. It may be tugging at the heart but if an ad can make you think and make you be emotional in a positive light about their ad then its good. Even the parent who doesnt have a kid coming home for any reason or child not returning from any service time can relate to it on that level.

I was anti-war but this isnt celebrating the war. It's celebrating the child coming home and the car that bonds them which is what makes it brilliant. They effectively worked their product in, in a manner which doesnt force you to be pro or anti war. They took a controversial topic and didnt force you to take sides. Their point was if youre an american you'll take our side because like you, we're american. That appeals to both older and younger generations and it works across different demographics. Its quite simply a great piece of work.

13. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    As I said, this was a very well done ad (production). And yes, it is effective. No argument there.

My personal morale code however, requires that when someone or entity co-opts or exploits something important like war or 9-11 or losing a loved one, merely to sell a product (especially one that has nothing to do with the subject matter), that I speak up and say I feel it is simply wrong. Some agree, some don't. But I personally couldn't sleep at night, if I thought up ads like that.

Stitches likes this.
  14. 54Fins

54Fins "In Gase we trust"

Nov 29, 2007
    over there
    If you are talking from a technology standpoint,I agree.Technology is better these days.I don't need to debate this with you,I just disagree wholeheartedly.My peers, knowledge,and experience paint a different picture.
    I have owned all sorts of cars in the past myself.Some good,some bad but ALL cars have their problems no matter what era we are talking about.It's a matter of what degree the problems are($$$).My opinion will remain that older cars are better BUILT than newer cars.(specify era)

About your old Saturn.I feel they are pretty good cars.I think they did well with there product also,but yet not bullet proof.You might of had luck with yours but the neighbor down the street might have had his in the shop all throughout it's warranty period.Here's a couple TSB's it had.

http://www.mycarstats.com/auto_tsbs/saturn_sc2_tsbs.asp

I'm not at work to print up the info from ALLDATA,so the above site is generic at best.

I'm not a car enthusiast,I don't keep up with the latest rim sizes or what radio is louder or better.I don't care about that stuff anymore.
    I'm burnt out from doing this day in and day out for 2/3 of my life.
    This is not a hobby to me.It puts food on the table,you know?
    So whether you prefer to listen to my opinions or not is OK by me,bro.

:knucks:

15. Boik14

Boik14 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    Thats the point i was making though; that the ad in no way really exploits the war. It just appeals to people's sense of patriotism which some people feel anyway about buying american products. Youre entitled to your opinion like anyone else bro but I just dont see it in this one. There are better examples of ads that do exploit events to just sell a product. :hi5:

Fin D likes this.
  16. Pagan

Pagan Metal & a Mustang

Mar 22, 2008
    Newburgh, NY
    I'm just going by past experience man. Back in the day, if a car had over 100,000K on it you were damn lucky.

Cars today regularly last close to 200,000K

I'm going by that.

54Fins likes this.