1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Where is this team heading?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by zwave21, Sep 18, 2013.

1. zwave21

zwave21 New Member

Dec 31, 2012
    It's been awhile for me on here guys but with all the excitement and media we've been getting its had me pretty consumed. But, gosh damn does it feel good to be 2-0. After the shaky preseason and report from a certain beat writer the offense is in "shambles", its great to see the real thing on the field.
    y c
    The Browns game was a little rusty just like any first game is but regardless a win is a win. Man, the defense played fast and forced turnovers (nice to have a few of those) and as always won the 3rd down and red zone battles. The offense was yucky just plain stinky and yucky. Might have been the worst run blocking/run game I have ever witness at least for the dolphins. The passing game was ugh... but Hartline and Tannehill have a special connection.

The Colts game was the predictor of the capability of this team. The running game came to life and Miller should be getting at least 75% of the carries. Thomas is fine as a #2 but Miller is a game changer and needs to get his rhythm. If they are trying to keep him fresh for late in the season than i can understand that but there aint much wear on those tires. The OLine is still shaky and its sad cause how many years have we spent signing and drafting the solutions to this problem. Pouncey is a beast, and Martin is improving and will keep it up. Clabo is who I am disappointed in as he looks like Colombo v2.0. Jerry is what he is and Incognito is good for now but is he a long-term fit. Welcome to Miami Mike Wallace and hopefully the first of many TD's. I loved Brandon Marshall and due to his QB he didn't score many TD's but god damn Wallace just looks like a TD hound and I love it. Charles Clay? wow!!! The talent is evident the consistency is the problem, but keep it up big man. This defense when finally healthy can be terrifying. But, with our two rookie CB's riding the pine and Patterson hobbled we really lack depth in our secondary but they did step up last week. I don't know about you guys but I am sick of seeing Jimmy Wilson getting burned and shocked we can't sign or develop someone to replace him. Olivier Vernon whenever you wanna live up the hype your teammates have given you as the "Most Improved" player, that would be great...

So after two games it is early but where is this team headed?

With Atlanta, New Orleans, and Baltimore the next three weeks this 2-0 could turn to 2-3 and fast. I just don't see it happening like other years....Why?

COACHING!!!

That article that Wallace and Philbin met to talk gameplan and Philbin opened up his route tree is music to my ears. These coaches notice trends and adapt and I love that. The gameplan for the colts was spectacular and I believe they don't play favorites but rather those who play best and hardest. They're heading into a fortuanate situation in Atlanta this weekend with Jackson, Witherspoon, Bierman, and Roddy all hurt or missing the game. We still gotta rattle Matty Ice and contain Julio but I like how we match up with the rest of the team.

Their OLine is in shambles and with the pressure our D can bring I think we can make Matty's day pretty long. Julio is not going to be stopped but if we can limit him and provide the right matchups with him I'd sleep much better (cough...have grimes shadow him...cough). I will freak if Carroll spends the day on Julio despite how improved Carrol has looked. Another issue for us is TE's and its true what Coyle said "Tight Ends these days are matchup nightmares." But Jones has to step it up against Gonzalez and big. If we can do those three things we won't have to worry about a shootout.

For our offense we matchup quite well with the Falcons. They struggle to rush the passer, they have a young and green secondary, and there without two of the best players on that side of the ball.

So we know where we are playing this week but where is this team's ceiling.

Truthfully, theses next three weeks will tell us if playoffs are in the cards but I fully expect us to challenge the division and wildcard. I think we have the potential to finish 9-7 to 12-4. What? 12-4 but how can you be so optimistic.....

The Bills and Jets start rookie QB's and lack playmakers on both sides of the ball... I like our chances.
    The Pats look very pedestrian and we know how Brady can get rattled with pressure. We could definitely split with them if not better.

If we can make it out of this three game stretch 2-1 or better I only see the Chargers, Panthers, and Steelers as trap games for us.

So, what happens if we make it to the playoffs?

Well, the Broncos happen and that **** is scary.

We most likely wouldn't face them round one, but that could lead us to Houston and for some reason we just can't beat those Texans its like sad cause I remember losing to them in their first season.

But, let's say hypothetically we win round one and exit in round two.... What pieces are we away from taking the next step?

QB- looks like we are set.
    RB- hopefully Miller lives up to the hype but we are going to end up more of a passing team anyway so as long as our guy is consistent with 70 yds a week im fine.
    WR- Wallace, Hartline and Gibson look pretty solid but I'd still like another rookie WR to develop as a deep threat with size which we lack.
    TE- Clay's consistency will tell, but regardless we need a jump ball threat in the redzone unless they let Sims get some looks.
    LT- Martin is improving and unlike our last regime I don't think we have to waste a 1st rounder to find a solid starter.
    LG- Incognito is most likely gone unless the market is rough. But, why haven't we tried Dallas Thomas at guard instead of forcing him to be a tackle... dont like that choice
    C- Pouncey = $$$
    RG- Wil Jerry ever be upgraded from...if he continues to struggle why not try Watkins and see if he is worth anything. Regardless there will be someone new here.
    RT- If Clabo keeps up this crap it'll be a one and done next year.

So 2014 needs potentially....RG, RT, LG, TE, WR

Ultimately if we can improve our OLine and provide more depth this offense can be special pending Tannehill keeps trending up.

LE- Wake = $$$ but depreciating with age.
    DT- Solai/Starks one if not both are gone but we won't resign both. Both have icksaid stuff on the contract that could result in no offers but that'd be a mistake as this is what drives our defense. I say resign Solai who will be cheaper to 2-3 year deal and draft a DT to groom.
    DT- Odrick is a natural DT who has been played out of position and not appreciated. But he is a force in the middle.
    RE- Vernon is confusing. His teammates say he is improved but I don't see it. He can't get to the QB and is having trouble setting the edge. Hopefully Jordan can become a three down player but don't sleep on Shelby who is producing on limited reps.
    OLB- Wheeler is my 2nd favorite signing of the offseason and you can see the difference his speed and tenacity bring to the defense.
    MLB- Ellerbe looks pretty solid to me, yet havent seen the gamebreaking ability that we saw in B'More but its a young season.
    OLB- Misi still don't understand why we resigned him to an extension seeing as he really offers nothing but marginal.
    CB- Grimes who is my favorite signing and god has he lived up to the pre-injury hype. Priority during the season is to re-sign the man prior to week 8.
    CB- Patterson played well in week 1 and now I see why we brought him on last year. Not sure about his contract but pretty sure he is locked up for awhile and I like the fact he can groom our young guys.
    FS- I am finally starting to notice Clemons as a upper echelon FS. Why? He is constantly around the play... is he a ballhawk? No. But is he better than a lot of options? Yes. Re-sign him.
    SS- Jones...glad he got paid and staying in MIA but he hasnt impressed me yet in this young season.

So on defense...Resign Starks or Solai, resign Grimes and Clemons. Try to upgrade at OLB and develop our young pass rushers (Jordan, Vernon, Shelby) so we can blitz less with 5+ and pressure with 4 pass rushers.

K- Sturgis looks legit....great draft pick.
    P- Fields = $$$
    LS - Denney= $$$
    KR/PR - Thigpen....pending mode.

So, as you can tell I really don't see huge upgrades needed in free agency like this past offseason. I think it falls down to two major things.

1. Develop rookies/2nd year players
    -Tannehill, Miller, Martin and even Egnew looked to be improved from year one to two.

This year's class is still up in the air:

Jordan- needs more reps, gain strength and become a 3 down player. The first one should be priority this season and the latter will come from reps. Strength will be gained through a full and healthy offseason.

Taylor- "Taylor, Taylor, hello?" Is this kid injury prone or is he just a pansy. Like for real you go into camp injured play for a week then get re-injured and still injured over a month later. I had a lot of high hopes for the kid and he was my favorite pick. Can't help your team win from the tub.

Thomas- This kid is a guard, he knows it, scouts know it, the media knows it.... why doesnt our coaching staff. Jerry is a better suplemental backup tackle than Thomas is. This kid was a All-SEC starter

Davis- like what ive seen. REminds me of Asante Samuel with his gambling style. He is going to piss you off a lot by taking a chance but you can't teach those ball skills he has. But get healthy Davis we cant have anymore Jimmy Wilson as our 4th CB anymore.

Jenkins- had hopes for him coming out of school. That defense played fast but he hasn't really played it. Hopefully it slows down for him and he can contribute more than just special teams.

Sims- love that he is getting playing time but not the fact we dont target him at all. Maybe he isn't the pass catcher we have heard about but he is a size mismatch. Regardless not a bad pick in the 4th round to get a #2 TE in year 1.

Gillislee- if Thomas keeps struggling I hope we activate the kid and give him a chance to see if he can be the complementary back we need for Miller. While he isn't the power back he is a inside runner who is shifty.

Sturgis - best pick as of right now. Legit leg and legit compsure. Great pick

Jones- was shocked he made the team by the lack of playing time or recognition through the preseason. But, damn somone knew something we didn't. He looks like a special teams stud after these first two weeks.

Recap..Not as great a draft as I was hoping for Ireland. Jordan has shown glimpses but needs more reps. Him along with Taylor/Davis injury concerns me. Drafting a 3rd round OL who is inactive the first two weeks with a struggling OLine is never a successful thing. Sims is playing and playing fine, Jenkins is M.I.A. Sturgis could be the best AFC kicker in a year. Jones is a special teams stud right now.

NEXT IS DEPTH...DEPTH...DEPTH.

It hasn't caught us yet but its just week 2. There will be a point this year where are questions are directed at injuries and the lack of quality backups will cause us victories. We have playmakers and more talent than in the past decade but injuries do and will happen. Now we need to draft, sign, and trade for quality players to rotate, fill in, and develop.

With that I think next year we could be in the conversation for a legit contender and no not just for the playoffs.

Hope you enjoy the thoughts guys, as always let me know your thoughts.

jegol71, Finfan7273, Sippi and 7 others like this.
  2. Sumlit

Sumlit Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2012
    Miami
    Why is there a thumbs down in the thread title?

3. Killer Bees

Killer Bees Bringin' the Ruckus

Aug 14, 2011
    No offense man but I didn't even attempt to read that short story, maybe over time lol

4. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Don't forget Z were 2nd in cap space, so we can play a little bit, I'm thinking buy ourselves a real right tackle in free agency, do everything possible to target Colt lyerla in the draft (even if it takes moving up again), look at BOA after that, resign grimes, Richie, Starks, Solai..

5. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    Good post btw.

6. Onehondo

Onehondo Senior Member Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Chesapeake, Virginia
    Good post. Can't say I agree with everything but I agree with a lot of it, good post none the less.

7. MonstBlitz

MonstBlitz Nobody's Fart Catcher

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    I also don't understand the thumbs down icon? But yes, I agree with you. I keep unfairly drawing comparisons to the 2010 team and it causes me anxiety. And you hit it on the head. This team is better coached, and has a better QB. Things should not fall apart like they did in 2010. Unless the line play really goes south or there are significant injuries (knocking on wood).

8. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    Well, the trend for this team for the past decade has been to come home in a big game, a turning point game, and come out flat, I'm interested to see if this coach can motivate his players in the toughest place in the league to get motivated.

9. Larryfinfan

Larryfinfan 17-0...Priceless Club Member

I think you're right, Deej...it's like there are lot of folks waiting for the bottom to drop out of this team. Will it happen? Who knows. This team seems to have more grit than past teams, but geez, I can't wait, as you said, to see if they come out fired up and on an upswing this coming week, rather than flat as a pancake as in the past....

10. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    Yup, I think it will tell us a lot about our coaches abilities..

mullingan likes this.
  11. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    Good post, but I disagree with the assessment of Clabo = Columbo. Clabo has been poor but he still makes some plays. For example he was that first block that sprung Wallace on that screen pass TD.

I generally agree with DJ's guess about our probable off season priorities.

12. 54Fins

54Fins "In Gase we trust"

Nov 29, 2007
    over there
    3-0 after Sunday.
    One game at a time.

13. GMJohnson

GMJohnson New Member

Jan 27, 2010
    They're heading into week 3?

14. mroz

mroz Fix the OL Club Member