1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Where did the Gulf oil go? Deepwater bacteria are eating it up.

Discussion in 'Science & Technology' started by Eshlemon, Aug 25, 2010.

1. Eshlemon

Eshlemon Well-Known Member

http://www.rr.com/news/topic/articl...microbe_discovered_eating_oil_spill_in_Gulf/1

Remeber reading a couple weeks ago most of the oil spill has been lost and nobody knew where it was. Mother nature taking care of itself.

Syfy should make one of their crummy movies on this with the bacteria moving to warmer climate and gobbling up all the worlds oil.

2. Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell Post Hard, Post Often Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
  3. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Noticed this story Eshlemon, but my BS detector went on "DefCon 2" alert simply because it is quite convenient that after the largest oil spill in US history the idea is being floated that bacteria will dispose of the spilled oil.

As I thought about it, where are the metrics for how much oil the bacteria can consume? At that rate, how long could it take for the bacteria to dispose of the oil?

I've yet to see that mentioned but yet, to "Joe Average" the idea has been planted "Oh, that oil spill, bacteria ate it all"..that is the sort of shallow point that Cable News and the Limbaughs of the world will parrot but never bother to ask any questions whilst parroting.

Now what is fascinating to me is whether or not different forms of bacteria actually produce Crude Oil in the first place as the meme is "Oil, it comes from decayed dinosaurs!"

Err..no it doesn't...

MikeHoncho likes this.
  4. Desides

Desides Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    I'm still getting a good laugh at the expense of those who believed there was oil everywhere and that this was an enormous environmental disaster.

That's what you get when your primary source for the supposedly devastating environmental consequences of the spill is Mother freaking Jones.

5. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    You are crowing far to early Des, the real damage will have occured at the photoplankton/small crustacean level and will genuinely take 3 yrs to asses the impact on things such as fishing and shrimping industries.

Those creatures have a very fast life cycle so large scale damage will appear relatively quickly.

MikeHoncho and unluckyluciano like this.
  6. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    You misinterpret me. I'm not saying that there is no environmental damage. I'm saying that the underwater apocalypse everyone was afraid of did not occur. There's a vast difference of scale here.

Also, the feds have already said it's safe to eat seafood harvested from the Gulf, so I'd imagine any trickle up effect would be minimal at best.

Take that, Mother Jones.

7. Brakos

Brakos New Member

Aug 26, 2010
    Houston metro
    The planet will be fine.... it's the people that are screwed!

8. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    Carlin put it in a slightly different way. :shifty:

MikeHoncho likes this.
  9. Brakos

Brakos New Member

Aug 26, 2010
    Houston metro
    Yeah, still, he had a damn good point. lol

MikeHoncho likes this.