1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

whats with the dump offs on 3rd and 4th and long?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by bcfinfan, Oct 24, 2010.

Tags:
  1. bcfinfan

bcfinfan New Member

Oct 4, 2010
    I like Chad Henne I think he's gonna be a good qb but I don't understand why he continues to try to pick up long yardage on 3rd and 4th down with 2 yd dump offs. Sure sometimes in 3rd down you have lots of time left and you don't want to throw an int. so you just pick up what you can or throw it away. But you've got to try and make the yardage when the games on the line, ie their last drive. What difference does it make if its intercepted when its 4th down and your last possession?
    And where does Brandon Marshall go in the 2nd half? They just seem to forget about him.

2. CitizenSnips

CitizenSnips hmm.

Nov 29, 2007
    PA
    cause nothing else is open. Everyone wants big plays but doesn't want picks. Could you imagine if he throws a pick on 3rd down? Imagine the backlash. The guy throws for 250+ yards against the best defense in the nfl and you're all still going to scrutinize. That 4th down play was blown up by the pass rush, we don't really know where that pass was going to go.

wtf. get off his nuts.

Disgustipate likes this.
  3. adamprez2003

adamprez2003 Senior Member

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    situationally he has to take more chances at certain times. 3rd and 8 two minutes to go, you don't check down to polite ever! frustrating but he has to learn that there are times in the games where you don't play safe and you take chances.
    pittsburgh took away marshall all game long and they did a great job covering our wrs but there are times you have to force it. he will learn. hopefully sooner rather than later

4. Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell Post Hard, Post Often Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    Troy Polamalu

MikeHoncho likes this.
  5. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    We're not giving enough credit to the Steelers coverage.

adamprez2003 likes this.
  6. NFL2102

NFL2102 New Member

Oct 4, 2010
    I agree, we have other receivers who can catch a ball downfield.

But, chances are Polite isn't gonna break an 8 yard run from a 2 yard catch with someone coming right at him or Ronnie Brown is gonna get a good gain after he has not been able to get good yardage ALL DAY!

Chuck it to Bess, Marshall, Wallace, or Hartline, all capable to catch a ball downfield if thrown right.

adamprez2003 likes this.
  7. Killerphins

Killerphins The Finger

Nov 11, 2008
    I'm starting to have real problems with Brandon Marshall
    1 TD in 6 games

8. CitizenSnips

CitizenSnips hmm.

Nov 29, 2007
    PA
    Steelers defense (Or any Defense that plays us)

"So who do we cover when miami gets in the redzone? Well, they have Brandon Marshall."

"What else they got?"

"...they have Brandon Marshall..."

"what about that Bess guy?"

"Oh like he'll ever score on us"

9. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    I'm sorry but Chad Henne is NOT a very good QB at this point. He has absolutely no feel for pressure and our redzone struggles are because he holds the ball too long and can't make snap decisions. He has NEVER had a feel for backside pressure and never will. Please start Pennington. Henne is good enough to QB an 8-8 or 9-7 team but is that what we want?

2socks likes this.
  10. adamprez2003

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    have to let him play so he can learn when to take chances and when to play conservatively. right now it seems its one or the other but for him to make the next leap he has to be able to understand that in any game there will be situations when you take chances and there will be situations where you play conservatively. just give it another year. we have no choice. i think he'll get it

11. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    My problem is that he cant feel pressure and that he double clutches far too often and locks in on his receivers. Sure he can get better but we can't say for sure it will. I don't see 8-6 Td/INT as a huge jump from his 12-14 its not the kind of improvement we should have expected.

12. Frumundah Finnatic

Frumundah Finnatic U Mad Miami?

Dec 2, 2007
    Miami FL
    Blaming Henne after a good performance is ****ing moronic.

13. BlameItOnTheHenne

BlameItOnTheHenne Taking a poop

Aug 15, 2010
    Davie
    No feel for pressure?...pretty dumb to say that when he handled pressure very well today.

MikeHoncho and Stitches like this.
  14. adamprez2003

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    today wouldnt be the gm to say that. he moved in the pocket very effectively and he went through numerous progressions. if anything maybe he was to quick to check down and not let the plays develop. impossible to say from tv coverage though

MikeHoncho and BlameItOnTheHenne like this.
  15. 2socks

2socks Rebuilding Since 1973

Nov 27, 2008
    Atlanta
    Its the damn ghost of Tedd Ginn

#19 and its screwed up Henne's head

16. finfaninilinois

finfaninilinois Active Member

Nov 29, 2009
    how do you know nobody else is open? do you have a magic camera that no else has that only you can see the whole field to make that statement.

the problem that I see with Henne is unless the receiver has 5 yards of seperation he is not throwing the ball to them. Good QB's need to be able to throw into a window and Henne doesnt take that chance. sure most times that is smart but with the game on the line HE HAS TOO TAKE THAT CHANCE!! that 3rd and 4th down play throw it up to marshal if no one is open let him battle for it - that is what we brought him for, but no the coaching staff has pounded the dont make mistakes into his head and now it is becoming a detriment to Henne.

yes that 4th down play they did blow it up but Henne rolled out and still had the ball for about 6 seconds which in football standards is an eternity

17. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    Bro. No offense but, you have Jacory Harris on your sig.

...your argument is invalid.

18. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Henne said repeatedly that some of those check-down plays came when the Steelers dropped a load of people into zone coverage. It's kinda fundamental to go underneath the coverage in those situations?

19. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Mediocre Qb's do so all the time.

Great ones make plays.

texanphinatic likes this.