1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What went wrong: Lamar Miller

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Fin-Omenal, Apr 18, 2014.

1. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Thee...Ohio State University
    Unlucky 13 likes this.
  2. Unlucky 13

Unlucky 13 Team Raheem Club Member

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    Pretty good article, and accurate, I think. The problems in the run game weren't one thing. It was a combination of the bad OL, bad coaching, bad playcalling, the fact that the defense didn't respect the passing game the way other teams do, and on Miller as well for not always hitting the right hole. The good news is that most of those things should be better this season. How much better is the important question, but we don't even have all the answers yet, as two OL positions are still open.

3. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Its amazing we were 8-8 considering our QB was so bad that Wallace's problems are Tanny's fault, the running game sucking is his fault, the sacks were his fault, bad playcalling was his fault, the defense not being able to stop the run was probably his fault too. Hell, I hear he forced Cogs to molest that woman at the event and pick on Martin. Some studies have shown that gout, the clap, eczema are also linked to Tannehill.

4. xphinfanx

xphinfanx Stay strong my friends.

Nov 1, 2009
    Tannehill should pick better in the draft his picks just don't cut it either.

5. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Where in that article or this thread has led you to believe anyone thinks all that????

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

shula_guy, jdang307 and gunn34 like this.
  6. xphinfanx

xphinfanx Stay strong my friends.

Nov 1, 2009
    Not a good season for a running back who would want to earn a living behind the OL and problems it had last year.

7. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Moreno will take his snaps away this year, I'd like to see him produce in his role, run with more violence in his nature, not have an anxiety attack when he does get in the open field, be able to handle big moments, not drop the football when it's perfectly placed.

I think this year with his speed on the outside and us running more zone and stretch plays his role will be truly that of a change of pace back..the difference of speed between the two should take the defense by suprise some.

MikeHoncho and Unlucky 13 like this.
  8. Unlucky 13

Unlucky 13 Team Raheem Club Member

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    I agree that Moreno will, and should, get more carriers than Miller this season, but what do you think the breakdown will be. 300 for Moreno / 100 for Miller? Or something closer?

9. Brasfin

Brasfin Well-Known Member

Apr 27, 2013
    Brazil
    I think the author hit the nail on the head, poor execution on the OL's part and poor playcalling on the OC's part, that pretty much sums it up. Miller does frustrate me sometimes but I still think he has some potential.

ps: how did Tannehill even get into this conversation, the article didn't mention him ONCE.

EDIT- Actually it did mention him exactly once, in this sentence: "Miller botched his first snap of the preseason for a Ryan Tannehill fumble, and averaged a modest 4.23 yards on 17 carries thereafter."

10. Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell Post Hard, Post Often Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    Nothing went wrong. He was a fourth round running back. The odds of him succeeding were slim to begin with.

If anything, this is an instructive lesson on what to expect from the draft.

Here are a list of all the RBs drafted in the 4th round or later since 2009. There really isn't much to hang your hat on in terms successes.

Puka-head, DPlus47 and Limbo like this.
  11. Larryfinfan

Larryfinfan 17-0...Priceless Club Member

That Tannyhill is a bum !!!

Seriously, I think all of us saw that as the season unfolded. The OL issues, as has been the history of this franchise since Shula left, just never materialized. That in itself is reason for some optimism this coming season, however, some of the problem has to be laid on Miller. He was not much better than Thomas last season and that's a testament of HIS prowess, not a result of the OL or playcalling or other issues we had...

12. Stringer Bell

Mar 22, 2008
    Nothing really amazing. The game inherently entails mediocrity to be the norm.

13. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    Moreno is an every down player, like Manning said, a solid, very tough, dependable, pass catcher, blocker, Miller is gonna have to earn reps because toughness, dependability, blocking, were all things that were not there last year at the position, 100 reps sounds about right for Mareno's breather.

GMJohnson likes this.
  14. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    I think the issues are along the lines of what the article mentioned, but are more specific. Lamar Miller is an outside runner on a team that couldn't run effectively block them, and didn't really make good adjustments to do it better.

Miller might be more of a change of pace back than what everyone hoped for, but he's got some genuine ability when he hits the edge and the team should do a better job having linemen who can block outside zone, or breaking down and pulling linemen outside if need be.

15. Limbo

Limbo Mad Stillz

Mar 21, 2013
    Yup. He's a solid player, certainly worthy of a roster spot. But he just isn't a feature back/workhorse at this point. He's not strong or consistent enough pounding it between the tackles 20 times per game, and his decision making is average at best. He doesn't have Moreno's savviness in the passing game. He's a change of pace 12 carry-ish guy who can rip some long ones with a lane on the edge.

I personally don't think the staff is ready to admit this yet. I believe Miller will get more carries than Moreno because the staff feels like Miller was robbed by the OLine of his real 'opportunity' to seize a feature role. Moreno is insurance while they check out if Miller can be the guy. He has this one last chance to prove himself. I know I'm in the minority here, but I do think signing Moreno was actually a vote of confidence in Miller.

I was against the Moreno signing because it likely prohibits us from taking a stud back in the top 3 rounds, and the link you posted says a lot about why I want to draft a guy high. Tannehill needs a workhorse as he develops. Just about every legit franchise QB in the game right now had a stud RB in the backfield during his first few years. Even Peyton Manning was helped along by Marshall Faulk and Edge. It's an invaluable piece to developing a young QB.

DPlus47 likes this.
  16. Stringer Bell

Mar 22, 2008
    If you're the type of RB that can only work the outside zone runs, how valuable are you really? I don't think an inability to run between the tackles is particularly problematic. But if you can't pass-protect very well, that is too one-dimensional IMO.

GMJohnson likes this.
  17. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Problem being, once the outside run is established as a viable threat, the interior running lanes open up, add in poor execution and Miller being "okay" is no surprise.

18. WhiteIbanez

WhiteIbanez Megamediocremaniacal

Aug 10, 2012
    The fan base had expectations of Miller being a dynamic back but in reality he is merely mediocre.
    That is what happened to Miller.
    People blame the Oline exclusively but Miller has to make things happen and he just can't.
    I tried to tell everyone but people got pissed and said I was wrong.
    Miller has poor vision and is a one trick pony.

19. phinswolverinesrockets

phinswolverinesrockets If he dies, he dies

Oct 31, 2013
    Houston
    blame:
    40% offensive line
    60% coaching

it's hard for me to even give miller any blame.

20. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    I'm not gonna write him off just get Nez, a productive back does need a line that can block on three levels, the LOS, the 2nd level, and setting the edge, you and I both know that our oline couldn't do anyoff the three all year, I don't understand Lamar sometimes, I know he has very good feet in traffic, I know he can shift without losing his pace but the mind is not in sync with his feet yet, and maybe the disaster we called our oline last year was a major culprit to his lack of confidence..

Do you know at this point, Lamar miller is still 22 years old.

21. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008

Please explain why Tanny was brought up in THIS piece???

22. 77FinFan

77FinFan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Mar 10, 2013
    Buckeye Land
    The fact that he goes down so easy is not on him?

23. phinswolverinesrockets

phinswolverinesrockets If he dies, he dies

Oct 31, 2013
    Houston
    over 4 ypc with a horrible offensive coaching staff and a below average offensive line is a miracle, imo. imagine what his ypc would be with a competent coaching staff and an average o-line. not to mention, we totally misused his skills as a receiver out of the backfield. that drove me crazy more than anything. the flats were wide open all game.

24. FanMarino

FanMarino Season Ticket Holder

Nov 24, 2007
    The one run that sticks out for me with Miller was against the Bengals. 2nd Qtr..10mins on the clock. He had a home run if he cut left with an open field infront of him. He didn't when it was glaring. That cut back was obvious if Miller had that instinct. He didnt. Hmmmm.

77FinFan likes this.
  25. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    to me he played nervous, could be due to youth, could be guy shy from a poor oline..he just hasn't looked confident in his moves or cuts, I mean I've seen him trip over his own feet a few times now, maybe he's not the smartest guy and it's gonna take him a bit to figure things out before he finds his own confidence.

26. jdang307

jdang307 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    [​IMG]

Fin-Omenal likes this.
  27. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    I don't think he is entirely limited to just that, but it's what he is best at and they flat out couldn't do it last year. He might be a guy you need to supplement heavily, but he's got a specific skillset he can be very good at.

I don't think Miller's pass protection was particularly bad last season, either. He's not Clinton Portis, but the coaching staff let opposing defenses T-off on the backs in pass protection. I don't think any teams relied on their backs more often than Miami, and they basically telegraphed what they were going to do. There was too many times they both just got crushed by players they shouldn't have had to block over and over.

padre31, CWBIII and invid like this.
  28. invid

invid Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 9, 2012
    He wasn't bad in pass-pro. It's a terrible myth born from the terrible situations that Sherman put him in.

29. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    When you run a stretch play, where your OT's are supposed to block a Cb and they had -0- chance of getting it done, Miller's Hr potential was limited.

Add in, we passed the ball predominately w/the Rb staying in to block, and even then the OL could not execute simple draw plays, and yeah, I'm not down on Lamar Miller at all.

bad coaching, bad scheme fits, meets poor athleticism, and zone blocking is not going to work very well, yet instead of going more hat on hat blocking, Sherman stuck with ZBS

cdz12250 likes this.
  30. Stringer Bell

Mar 22, 2008
    His pass protection is average at best. You're basically pigeonholing yourself to a situation where you're forced to run the outside zone well if you want to make him productive.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

31. Stringer Bell

Mar 22, 2008
    The majority of situations Miller put himself in.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

32. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    no fullback, no Fasano, and no Jake long either.

GMJohnson likes this.
  33. cuchulainn

cuchulainn Táin Bó Cúailnge Club Member

Sep 7, 2012
    Hattiesburg, MS
    lol... I'd venture to guess because you brought Tanny into it in your original comment...

Fin D likes this.
  34. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    So just the name is all it takes to bring the clan out?? Point taken

35. cuchulainn

Sep 7, 2012
    Hattiesburg, MS
    lol... and now defensive passive aggressive behavior with the name calling of ... "the clan"? Dude, that is simply baiting the ire of others...

Point was, there was no need to bring Tanny into the discussion on Miller to begin with.

Fin D likes this.
  36. Conuficus

Conuficus Premium Member Luxury Box

Dec 8, 2007
    Well away from here
    There's a clan? Why am I always the last to know these things? :shifty:

Puka-head and cuchulainn like this.
  37. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Slow down Frued, it was just me laughing at the people who are so insecure about their stance with RT.....that they have to bombard every thread to attempt to come to his rescue.

I simply stated if you blame X and Y for the issues RT has, then you have to apply that logic to the other offensive players as well. Then the masses came uh runnin.

38. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Not enough time in mains.

Conuficus likes this.
  39. cuchulainn

Sep 7, 2012
    Hattiesburg, MS
    lol... you specifically named Tannehill, then posed the question as to why FinD was ridiculing your mentioning him, and I answered your question. Then you referred to anyone who defends or opposes your view on Tannehill by what is considered a largely negative term.

What masses? You're referring to a few comments due to you negatively mentioning Tannehill with the "excuses" swipe.

If you don't want to get growled at, then let sleeping dogs lie...

Fin D likes this.
  40. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008

Yea, what I said merited a meltdown from Fin D, and his crew.....anyone can see that.

But I'm glad it did, laughing at the over zealous RT nut huggers never gets old.