1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What type of CB does this team want?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by RickyBobby, Jan 22, 2013.

1. RickyBobby

RickyBobby VIP DIY

Sep 22, 2009
    Palm beach
    Overall, what attributes?

Since the new coaching staff most(I think) of our cb pickups have been smaller quicker guys that like to hit. Is this bc we already hace a big corner in smith or is smith gone and we look at picking up a cb in the draft or FA.

Would we be okay with Marshall and Patterson starting? I've seen mention that Marshall is on his way out, if that's the case then we have only Patterson.

Just thinking, does our team want more nickel type corners? I feel how we set up our defensive backfield is just as, if not more important than our wr core. Our defense has to stay strong in order for us to consistently compete.

We know the coaches, gm and the owner all want more turnovers, we have to keep that in mind.

What if we let smith walk, drafted milliner or banks(I'd prefer banks) and picked up a certain LSU golden haired reformed pothead. More realistically, we draft Swearinger as our SS.

This would allow us to sign Starks, long and Jennings and leave us with

Banks/Millner
    Marshall
    Patterson
    Matheiu(sp? Dream-world)
    Wilson
    McCann

Jones
    Swearinger
    Wilson

I kinda went off track, it's late and I can't sleep, just brainstorming. But want I want the discussions to be about is what type of CB is this team looking for.

Amaya

2. unifiedtheory

unifiedtheory Sub Pending Luxury Box

Nov 24, 2007
    Burnaby, BC, Canada
    One who is better than what we have now. If Smith is allowed to walk me will need two.

3. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

I got ahold of the template Philbin's staff gave to the Front Office.

A Dolphins Cornerback Fits The Description Of A Player With Most, If Not All Of The Following Characteristics
    - plays biggest games against inferior competition
    - could play lower on the depth chart for another team
    - flashes of ability mixed with lapses in concentration and technique
    - gets into position well for interceptions but keeps hands off ball
    - tracks ball well in air but loses player
    - tracks player well on ground but loses ball in air
    - willing tackler
    - Pro Bowl confidence, Meineke Bowl ability
    - misses minimum of one game annually with injury (preferably more)
    - can backpedal all the way to endzone, through it and into tunnel after TD.
    - good hips, but late to diagnose and break on balls
    - all the physical tools, none of the stats that reflect them
    - excellent at point-and-blame technique
    - celebrates wide receiver drops by thumping chest and raising finger to sky while nodding emphatically
    - can blitz
    - saves pass interference for crunch time
    - will believe he could shut down Megatron because Dolphins receivers can't score touchdowns on him in practice
    - has no other options but to join us or work at a ramen shop near his old campus
    - runs his fastest 40 time from the locker room to his Escalade.
    - executes the "Damn" head shake and hand clap on par with league's best
    - no special teams value
    - rarely cause coverage sack
    - play man coverage that looks loose enough to be zone and zone coverage that looks like he's covering another cornerback
    - keeps receivers guessing by alternating tight coverage with dog-running-in-circles-with-an-inner-ear problem imitation

4. dWreck

dWreck formerly dcaf

Oct 23, 2011
    Sebring, FL
    :unsure:

5. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    If you're looking for players we'd want, then the list of attributes should always start with the same thing for every position: self-starting, professional.

If you're not including that #1 in your list, you weren't paying attention.

6. GMJohnson

GMJohnson New Member

Jan 27, 2010
    I'd match any somewhat reasonable offer that Sean Smith gets. Better to over pay for homegrown talent than an outsider. And I'm not feeling the draft his replacement talk. I don't see any DBs who are better and our high picks should be used to improve the team not to tread water.

7. CaribPhin

CaribPhin Guest

Smith Patterson and Grimes would be my preferred top 3 with Marshall and Jones back at safety.

8. The G Man

The G Man Git 'r doooonnne!!!

Mar 18, 2009
    I like Seattle's DB's. They're physical corners. That, to me, is the model to follow.

Also, I hope Smith is replaced this off-season because I don't think he is nearly as good as some on here think.

Bpk likes this.
  9. VManis

VManis Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 10, 2010
    That only holds true when said talent was selected by the current coaching staff. Since Smith was drafted we have changed coaches and defensive schemes so Smith needs to be evaluated on just how well he fits what this new staff wants to do on defense.

Bpk likes this.
  10. Claymore95

Claymore95 Working on it... Club Member

Sep 8, 2012
    Peebles, Scotland
    :lol:

11. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Well, I thought they liked corners who had overall game, Vontae Davis, but then they went after the opposite in Smith, so I don't know what they look for, personally I'd like an Antoine Winfield, Brandon flowers type.

12. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    If we're talking Draft then I think they might prefer Banks to Milliner because they're on a kick right now where they want more interceptions and turnovers. Banks has 16 in his 4 year career and Dee Milliner has 6 in his 3 year career.

13. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

Totally agree with this.

That said, I am concerned with Banks' speed at the NFL level.

It is adequate, not elite. Most CBs with adequate speed do not play at a Pro Bowl level (unless they have elite change of direction qucikness, which is why I think the shuttle is important for Banks)

14. ExplosionsInDaSky

ExplosionsInDaSky Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2011
    I like a playmaker on one side of the ball and a defender on the other side, and then fighters in the nickle.
    I think Patterson will fit nicely as our nickle CB but we need to decide what to do with Smith. Frankly i'm all for keeping him because I think he's a good defender. We need a playmaker on the other side of the though. Someone that can create turnovers and has a nose for the ball. I like Terry Hawethorne from Illinois in the third round if available. I think he's going to be a good pro.
    We should probably bring back Sean Smith too. Pay the guy.

15. Frumundah Finnatic

Frumundah Finnatic U Mad Miami?

Dec 2, 2007
    Miami FL
    God no.

If anyone so much as sniffs a starting job, Ireland should be strangled to death.