1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What to do now?!?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by RevRick, Oct 28, 2013.

1. RevRick

RevRick Long Haired Leaping Gnome Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Thomasville, GA
    Boy, I knew better than to come in here following yesterday's loss. There is a lot of bulla sheet, hyperbole, exaggeration, angst, frustration, explosive venting being thrown about in here today... If I hadn't checked the URL, I would have thought I was on one of our old boars, I mean boards.

Folks... Tannehill was not the main problem yesterday. On the swipe fumble, I saw a number of those from St. Dan in his tenure here, and no one said diddley about it when it happened to him. Besides, Tannehill was in the process of starting the throw when a FREE RUNNER swiped his arm. Gimme a break!! It's really easy to take shots after a loss like that one.. But, the problem is not all on Tannehill's head, and he is going to be better than Henne (Who in the name of pluperfect purgatory threw THAT one out there. They ought to be stripped of the fandom for a week and sent to root for someone else.... like Pittsburg!)

I think we have a more definitive problem. I was worried at the beginning of Philbin's tenure when I saw the number of cronies and college coaches on the staff. I think he is going to have to change that. If he does not - this may be his last year. He better start now building a fire under all of their collective tukkises right now! The loss was inexcusable yesterday since the team appeared to roll over and play dead in the second half. That is on the staff as well as the players.

Additionally, the defense has a lot of good players, but they are not playing like a good defensive TEAM! The offense has some good players, some growing players, and no discernible creativity in play calling. I cannot imagine how long it has been since I have seen a Miami Dolphins football team do ANYTHING on the first play of the game except hand it to a running back heading somewhere behind a guard or tackle. OY!!!!!!! The offense is as predictable as rain in a thunderstorm! It also, at times, seems to harken back to the days of Henning - afraid to make a mistake more than willing to take a chance on possibly winning the game.

Finally, we have been in this rut for virtually 16 years. From the last days of the disgust for the never to be forgotten Jimmy Johnson tenure through this year, fans have waited for the team to show character, courage, and desire for a championship. This is the fifth regime in 13 years. The team has tried an old cronie, a phonie, a pretender, a nevershouldabeen, and now a possibility as coach, and allowed an disasterrous, drowning over his head coach/GM wannabe (God forbid we ever do that again!), a fill-in, an arrogant *** (HC/GM!!), a question mark, and a retiree in waiting as team leader/general manager combo (God forbid that ever again), and a rookie to 6th year as GM!

I though we had a chance this year, if the players we thought could be good turned out to be good, and if the coaching we glimpsed least year continue to grow. That has not been the case thus far. I have been supportive of the cast of characters in leadership, because it was our team, and I put any possible misgivings I might have had in the background. But in the last six years, there has been very little progress toward a consistently winning team. The coaching has become predictable. And the team has faltered yet again.

Unless Philbin shows has has a pair the size of a Jersey Bull and Takes Names and Kicks A$$ in the next week, this team will not perform up to the level of fan expectations again - and I would think his expectations for continuing as Head Coach would disappear. People who were depicted as performing well last year are playing abysmally this year (Can you say John Jerry, Tyson Columb... I mean Clabo?) We had to in desperation trade for Mt. McKinney... who could be good, but he missed a block on a DB yesterday that lead to a strip fumble on the QB -which could be chalked up to the fact that he had to be in camp all of five days of prep at most! (If Mac had just stuck his paw out the guy would probably have to run two more steps to get around him, but he closed down on the interior rusher instead!) The pocket still looks more like a C Clamp attached to an outboard motor - rapidly closing for those who lost the metaphor!)

And, finally, this has been the third team fielded since the end of the Parcells debacle. Unless this team turns around and performs like winners should perform in the next nine games, that failure falls directly on the head of the person who brought in the players who have failed. I have reached the point that I find myself at the point of having to not only question, but deeply examine my support of Jeff Ireland as General Manager - and quite probably, if this year continues on the downward spiral on which it has tumbled following the New Orleans game - entirely retract that support. Ireland has some wins, Cam Wake (though he has not shown up after his injury), Jared Odrick (thought it took a few years), Paul Soliai (who we may lose) and the Dion Jordan pick might prove to be a stroke of genius (He was covering a tight end yesterday!)

My emotions range everywhere from hiring Guido and Lefty to come in and tote Ireland out of the facility in his chair NOW to telling him that if this team fails to reach 9-7 THIS year - he can plan for a decades long vacation as far as the Miami Dolphins are concerned.

And then, I look at owners, and teams, who have stuck with a GM/Head Coach/staff through a long season (longer than this specific combination has been together) of losing and mediocrity to put together, finally, a team which fits a certain vision of a winning team - built for the long haul. And in reality, Ireland has only had three seasons (this one not complete yet) with HIS vision. Is that enough, or would the team just be cutting off it's nose to spite it's face in cutting Ireland loose? Winning franchises have stability. They don't change at the whim of fans, or media, or impatience in the structure. Is Ireland's vision the one which will lead to a winning team, and is he just trying to overcome the statistically probable realities of finding the right combination of players? How long does that take? Does he have the right vision? Or, is he in over his head?

It is easy to choose the immediate gratification of pain/anger/frustration and vent it toward one person - the quarterback, the head coach, the GM, the owner, the offensive line as a whole, or even the refs. It's hard to know what to think!

Am I frustrated? Hell Yes! I grew up as a football fan watching Don Shula. I agonized in the last years of his reign! I was appalled that Jimmy Johnson was hired to replace him! I wailed with Wannstedt in charge! And so on, etc., and so forth.

Now, I teeter on the tightrope with patience on one side and immediate gratification on the other, and wonder just what in the name of all that is football holy to do!

Boy, am I glad I don't have to make that decision.

I need another cup of coffee!

2. KB21

KB21 Almost Never Wrong Club Member

Dec 6, 2007
    Great post, man!

I was working in the ER yesterday, and we were slow during the first half of the game. I was able to watch it on my Sunday Ticket app. What I saw in the first half was a Dolphins team that was dominating the Patriots. The Dolphins were gashing the Patriots with both the inside and outside zone runs. They were moving the ball through the air on short passes. The team was up 17-0 and had the Patriots in a 3rd down situation when one of the worst PI calls I have ever seen was made. Jimmy Wilson goes underneath Gronk to bat a pass a way, and it is somehow interference.

The ER got busy after that, and I was unable to watch the rest of the game. I do not know what happened. How can a team that was dominating in the first half completely fall off the cliff in the 2nd half? NE had only 3 points in the first half thanks to a bad penalty call on the refs.

3. VManis

VManis Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 10, 2010
    My simple answer is that Belicheck realized he wasn't going to get to TH with just 4 rushers like other teams had and decided to start blitzing like crazy. Sherman didn't anticipate it and didn't have any answer for it until the damage had been done.

4. Rick 1966

Rick 1966 Professional Hipshooter

Nov 23, 2007
    Powell, WY
    Can you give me any examples of this in the last ten years?
    Cause I can't.
    I can think of owners who've had patience with GMs and coaches that didn't do well for a few seasons, but none of them have gone anywhere in the playoffs.

ASOT likes this.
  5. Ohio Fanatic

Ohio Fanatic Twuaddle or bust Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    that was my biggest beef yesterday, even with the bad ref calls. We know our Oline is bad in pass protection, why the hell doesn't this coaching staff have a better plan for addressing the blitz? are they hoping that other teams will not blitz because our other facets of our offense are so dominating?

we did do some nice short passes yesterday, but with Gibson out, we lose effectiveness there, especially on 3rd downs and redzone.

6. DullFinsSuck

DullFinsSuck Banned

Oct 28, 2013
    Fortunately for you, the Dolphins are the best NFL team in the state!! Woohoo! The 'Noles are probably the only in-state team that can beat them.

Look on the bright side - there's plenty of room on the Bills bandwagon. At least that organization is finally showing signs of life.

7. Pandarilla

Pandarilla Purist Emeritus

Sep 10, 2009
    Boone, NC
    I haven't seen pluperfect purgatory since watching Clue Club as a little boy...

8. pocoloco

pocoloco I'm your huckleberry Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    North Chicagoland
    Unless you lose the players, I believe every NFL head coach should get his four years. It's just too hard to implement your philosophy with players some other guy picked for a different system.

There is no indication that Philbin lost the lockerroom yet, so count me among his strongest remaining supporters.

9. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Well upside is McKinnie played great, Martin played decently well at RT

More time in our system will acclimate him into his role

Tannehill simply must hang onto the football better, it is to the point were any sack means a fumble, defenders smell it like a lion going after a wounded Zebra, until he handles it then it will continue to happen

Defense has been very disappointing tbh, there is no will to dominate and since Wake went down they seem to have lost their edge, Coyle should sense this and make changes.

ST has been a net minus for weeks now, not sure what Rizzi is doing but that also needs to be straightened out

10. ASOT

ASOT New Member

Mar 29, 2013
    Coral Gables, FL
    Are you completely certain he's ever "had the locker room" because some evidence suggests that he's never had it

11. xphinfanx

xphinfanx Stay strong my friends.

Nov 1, 2009
    What evidence shows Philbin not having the locker room?

12. pocoloco

pocoloco I'm your huckleberry Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    North Chicagoland
    The team plays pretty hard. The offensive line couldn't pass block a determined toddler, but that's not because of a lack of effort.

RevRick likes this.