1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What popular movies have you NOT seen?

Discussion in 'TV, Music and Movies' started by Unlucky 13, Jun 13, 2014.

1. Unlucky 13

Unlucky 13 Team Raheem Club Member

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    Watching the Today Show, they were talking about how Matt Lauer hasn't seen Star Wars, and it got me thinking. We talk all the time about the things that we have seen. I thought I'd start a thread about what things most others probably have seen that you yourself have not, for whatever reason, excluding ones made recently.

For me, I made a vow with a friend in the 90's to never watch Titanic, Scream or Speed. All three were very popular with my generation, but looked like they sucked to me. Haven't seen anything other than a short clip of any of the three. I've also never seen any of the Godfather movies. Just zero appeal to me. Id never seen The Lion King until a few months ago when we watched it with my daughter. Hugely overrated. I also don't usually like really old movies, and there are a lot from the pre-1960'a era that I haven't watched.

Claymore95 likes this.
  2. unluckyluciano

unluckyluciano For My Hero JetsSuck

Dec 7, 2007
    seen parts of Titanic. Pretty god awful. I never understood how it got so much attention.
    I wish I could unsee avatar.

NaboCane likes this.
  3. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    I don't love it, but I like Avatar. Looking forward to more in the series.

4. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    Never watched Titanic either, and have no intention of doing so (Twighlight and its sequels are others). I am sure there are more, but I can't just think of many off the top of my head. In a handful of instances I plan to see them, but just haven't yet (Saving Private Ryan & One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest is another).

Paul 13 likes this.
  5. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    Haven't seen any of the Harry Potter, LOTR, or Narnia films.

Haven't seen Scent of a Woman, Citizen Kane, TKAMB, or Raging Bull.

Never seen St. Elmo's Fire, American Beauty, Jacob's Ladder, or American Psycho for that matter.

6. unluckyluciano

Dec 7, 2007
    Oh I've never seen the first couple of harry potter, catch a far and all that, and twilight.

7. Clark Kent

Clark Kent Fighter of the Nightman

May 9, 2008
    The nude drawing scene, amirite? :yes:

SICK, NaboCane and MikeHoncho like this.
  8. MikeHoncho

Nov 13, 2009
    "Wow, this movie sucks. This old lady won't shut the hel–"

*unzips

SICK, Paul 13, Clark Kent and 3 others like this.
  9. Claymore95

Claymore95 Working on it... Club Member

Sep 8, 2012
    Peebles, Scotland
    Same here. No particular reason, as although it's not my favourite genre I'd still probably like them, I've just never got round to watching them.

There's a load of other popular films that I've never watched, but as I've got no intention of ever wasting any hours of my life on the likes of Twilight or the Narnia films, then I don't count them. The ones like Godfather are more unusual for me as there's no real reason I've not watched them.

10. invid

invid Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 9, 2012
    See Jacob's Ladder. It's a real mind****er and a pretty scary movie that holds up to this day. I hear some rumors that they were remaking it but that it wouldn't be a scene for scene remaking but a "reimagining" whatever the hell that means.

MikeHoncho likes this.
  11. NaboCane

NaboCane Banned

Nov 24, 2007
    Titanic', I've seen bits and pieces. Okay, one bit, and Kate Winslet's titties were in it. Started watching Avatar', ****ing hated it. I won't see any glittery vampire flicks; I take my vampires seriously, don't **** widdit.

But how can you not have seen the 'Godfathers'? Forget subject; they are masterpieces of cinematography, of storytelling, of acting. They are Shakespearean, operatic, and Greek tragedy.

Seriously; don't purposely bisect yourself from great art.

Sethdaddy8 likes this.
  12. TiP54

TiP54 Bad Reputation

Nov 25, 2007
    Live from the Internet.
    Any of the Godfather movies.

[edit]

The placement of this post is thick with irony, amirite Nabo? :lol:

NaboCane likes this.
  13. unluckyluciano

Dec 7, 2007
    Is it wrong I want to punch some of you for not having watched the Godfather movies? No, no it's not.

Paul 13, ToddPhin, Fin D and 2 others like this.
  14. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Not only should you watch them, you should man up and watch all 3 in one sitting. (Yes all 3, and yes even the third one.)

15. ToddPhin

ToddPhin Premium Member Luxury Box Club Member

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    surprising considering the girls you date.

16. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    No. In fact, anyone who's intentionally passed on this trilogy should take this moment to punch themselves in the face right now. They should have two choices, either grab a few six packs and settle into a 9 hour marathon or start posting sissy pics of themselves in the Lady's Lounge amIright.

17. MikeHoncho

Nov 13, 2009
    Girls? More like elderly.

Sent from my LG-MS770 using Tapatalk

18. unluckyluciano

Dec 7, 2007
    you've seen cocoon like 20 times amirite?

NaboCane, ToddPhin and MikeHoncho like this.
  19. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    Dream a Little Dream is his emotional fave though..... but the ending always tortures him.

20. byroan

byroan Giggity Staff Member Administrator Luxury Box

Nov 25, 2007
    NC
    Haven't seen Godfather movies either. Nor Star Wars. I've seen the family guy versions though.

Not seen Harry Potter. LOTR.

Titanic wasn't that bad. Not great by any means. Twilight though? Complete garbage.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

21. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    What's with you people and Godfather? :pity:
    Utter timeless classic like One Flew Over. If it were released today for the very first time in its original form, it would still be a blockbuster.

gunn34 and cuchulainn like this.
  22. Tone_E

Tone_E Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 8, 2007
    Why watch the whole movie. Just google it. 1:40 in.

[video=youtube;YuOBzWF0Aws]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YuOBzWF0Aws[/video]

23. MikeHoncho

Nov 13, 2009
    Round two.

Sent from my LG-MS770 using Tapatalk

24. cuchulainn

cuchulainn Táin Bó Cúailnge Club Member

Sep 7, 2012
    Hattiesburg, MS
    The Godfather series is a bit old and dated now, but even if you're not into the mafia genre, watch the freaking movies for the cast of upper echelon actors, the era, the ambiance, the scenery, the musical score, the to see the influences it has had since.

Marlon Brando, Al Pacino, James Caan, and Robert Duvall. I mean, damn. Watch em. James Caan was actually my favorite character.

I would demand people turn in their man card's - BUT you ALL have watched Goodfellas... (you all have watched Goodfellas, right?)

25. NaboCane

NaboCane Banned

Nov 24, 2007
    The most elegant way to ensure that a film will never become "dated" is to make it a period piece, set in the past. It's date-proof.

Todd brought up an interesting point; if One were released this Summer, how would it do?

The answer is: it would break every record and establish benchmarks that would not be exceeded until...well, until Two was released.

When we hear the word "groundbreaking" today it's used to describe some technological horse**** like 'Avatar.' But when 'The Godfather was being made, in 1968 when FF Coppola was selling blood and bleeding out his anus, doing screentest after screentest on his own dime—the actors paying their own way from NY to California each time, sometimes hitchhiking—to get studio execs to accept unknown actors Al Pacino, Robert Duvall, James Caan and Diane Keaton as the leads in the most ambitious project since DeMille's 'Ten Commandments'...THAT was the beginning of the redefinition of the word "groundbreaking" to describe a film.

You have a Director, just having come away with an Oscar for screenwriting for 'Patton', who would go on to win another Oscar for screenwriting for this film and who would go on to win 42 of the 49 major awards for which he's been nominated, directing an ensemble cast which included FIVE actors who would go on to win Oscars, in a film using—BAR NONE—the most memorable and enduring musical score (by Nino Rota and Carmine Coppola) in over a hundred years of filmmaking, shot by the greatest cinematographer of all time (Gordon Willis, whose name should forever be synonymous with the word "groundbreaking")

Yeah. I think it might make a buck or two today.

26. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    In light of the Godfather discussion and your post, why dont you start a timeless classics thread. ?

Great point BTW about how "groundbreaking" has become synonymous with technological crap.

cuchulainn and NaboCane like this.
  27. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    I saw Goodfellas once, and really didn't like it. Absolutely not my cup of tea.

28. cuchulainn

cuchulainn Táin Bó Cúailnge Club Member

Sep 7, 2012
    Hattiesburg, MS
    Perfectly acceptable response. While I enjoy dark and violent movies and dark humor, they are not for everyone. To each their own.

29. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    The impression that I've always gotten is that The Godfather is very slow, very dark, and very character (not plot) driven? Am I off base on that?

30. Paul 13

Paul 13 Chaotic Neutral & Unstable Genius Staff Member

Dec 3, 2007
    I think if you're under 40, and haven't seen the Godfather, that's somewhat a sign of the times since you were rather young when it was released. But if you're over 40 and haven't seen it, turn in your man card now for you do not have male parts between your legs.

As for the topic.. the one that used to surprise a lot of my peers was that I hadn't seen the Wizard of Oz. Of course, now that I have two children, I've seen it multiple times. One of those american classics which if you are from another country, like me, you don't see as a child.

31. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    I initially stalled for years to watch Godfather b/c I thought it'd be slow and would require effort on my part to get through 3 hours. Plus the whole gangster/mafia genre has never excited me. But you know what, it was quite easy to watch, and I don't recall thinking I'd wish they'd speed it up to get to the end. I relished the 3 hour trip into its world.

This analogy might help: the trilogy felt no different than binge-watching the first season of a great TV show that you can't put down....... and like many great shows, even during instances of slowness, there's still enough pre-established tension and drama built up to move you along in search of each resolution as well as the overall end one. I was never bored. IMO the trilogy is like compressing The Soprano's down to nine hours and then improving it by 500 percent. That's how I'd treat it, like 9 one-hour episodes of a masterfully done miniseries. Watch it one hour at a time if you want, but more than likely you'll blast through One and immediately jump into Two.

NaboCane likes this.
  32. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    OK, thanks for the analogy. I've never seen the Soprano's either though, lol. The only show I've ever binge watched was Firefly, and it instantly became my favorite of all time (all 1/2 season of it).

To the broader point, I can't think of a single mafia movie I've ever liked, unless it was a comedy spoofing it. In the end, thats probably why I haven't seen it more than anything else.

ToddPhin likes this.
  33. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    Growing up, my mom loved the Wizard of Oz, and had us watch all the time. Now, I have a wife who does the same thing, lol.

Paul 13 likes this.
  34. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    I have never seen Titanic. I refuse to see Titanic. I have zero interest in seeing Titanic.

I haven't seen the Godfather, but mostly because I just haven't seen it.

35. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    Godfather movies (I am 27, wonder if there is a trend here?)

Schindler's list

36. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    whut??? A bucket of popcorn and white people who can't swim? How could you pass that up?

37. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    yes, young people are getting gayer and gayer.

38. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    Shut up old man. I love Pacino. Seen "Scent of a women", Scarface, heat, etc etc.....I just have never gotten around to it. I think its been built up so much, I am worried I won't like it. Or it won't match up....so not watching it keeps "The best movie ever" in my options to have my eyes opened to one day.

ToddPhin likes this.
  39. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    Takes 2 hours of boring before that happens

ToddPhin likes this.
  40. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    I founds Schindler's List to be a very inspiring movie. I have learned to not tell people that without further explaining because they just assume that I want to kill a lot of Jews. I think that says more about them than it does me, since that is the first place they go.