1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

what is the point of prayer?

Discussion in 'Religion and Spirituality' started by crunk-colt, Sep 19, 2009.

Tags:
  1. dolfan7171

dolfan7171 Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2009
    Arizona
    I created a thread about what I believe if anyone is interested.

2. dolphindebby

dolphindebby Season Ticket Holder Luxury Box

Nov 26, 2007
    GA
    I did talk to my preacher about faith.

He said by studying the word, prayer, and love for the Lord gives you all the faith you need. Plus, by studying the Bible strengthens your faith and love in God.

Prayer strengthens your fellowship with God.

He said, as the Pastor said, that personal conversations with God are sometimes better and more comforting than a formal type of prayer.

Throughout the Bible we learn about others who struggled with faith, and others that had much faith. So, I think that is where we need to go, study and love the word of God.

If we hold on to His word, His promises and His great love for us, I feel our faith will continually grow and strengthen us.

I hope I made sense. It's so hard for me to get the words out right when I'm typing about my faith. It would be easier to actually talk. But, hey, we try, don't we?

Bless you guys.

Ducken and Ohiophinphan like this.
  3. Ohiophinphan

Ohiophinphan Chaplain Staff Member Luxury Box

Two nitpicking points to add to your eloquent testimony. First, I think its God who embues us with faith from the get-go. Even our faith is a gft from God. Nurturing faith is certainly part of the Christian life, but God plants it there to start with.

Second, when I use "word" the way you did, I spell it "Word" to remind us that before there was a written word or even a proclaimed word there was Jesus the living Word of God (JN. 1:14)

dolphindebby likes this.
  4. Ducken

Ducken Luxury Box Luxury Box

Nov 25, 2007
    Lower Delaware
    Thank you Debby. Thank you very much.

Ohiophinphan and dolphindebby like this.
  5. maynard

maynard Who, whom?

Dec 5, 2007
    clearwater, fl
    this may sound strange to some, but my faith and belief is actually more of a logical one, not an emotional one

i didnt have a life-changing moment or anything like that. it just makes sense to me. after all, life without a creator is ultimately without purpose and meaning as honest atheists would admit

i think i may be lacking the emotional bond.

6. dirtywhiteboy

dirtywhiteboy Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Central Fl
    Ducken likes this.