1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What is Parcells Doing?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by GARDENHEAD, Sep 22, 2008.

Tags:
  1. GARDENHEAD

GARDENHEAD Season Ticket Holder Club Member

May 7, 2008
    New Orleans
    Bill Parcells is the Executive VP of Football Operations for the Miami Dolphins. He's not a coach, and he's not the GM.

So what is he doing on a day-to-day basis? What did he do leading up to the Patriots game? I don't live in S. Florida anymore, so I don't get the local papers. Has the local media pressed Parcells on what he does?

I'm not sure what he actually does. Anyone?

2. anlgp

anlgp ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A

the media tried but he turned them away saying "thanks, but no thanks".

he hired sporano and ireland. he fired half the team at the end of last year. so you could say he is directly related to the coaching staff and players on the team currently.

he is the VP of football operations which you could tune it up to be "the second man on the totem pole".

3. Crappy Tipper

Crappy Tipper AKA Hero13

Aug 23, 2008
    He's hiring the right people to put the team together and he's letting the coaches run the team without getting in the way. He set this team in motion.

4. GARDENHEAD

GARDENHEAD Season Ticket Holder Club Member

May 7, 2008
    New Orleans
    I understand that.

But what does he do each week? Surely he does more than set up the structure of the organization, right? To think otherwise would imply that he has done his job.

5. Crappy Tipper

Crappy Tipper AKA Hero13

Aug 23, 2008
    I would guess that since he still has a presence at the practice facility he probably gives input to the coaching staff and gives overall advice. He is still a legendary ex-coach probably playing a massive role in being a mentor to Sparano
    As far as what his official duties are....like filing the x2000a form every Friday I have no clue :lol:

6. Loyal Fin

Loyal Fin Business as usual

Mar 22, 2008
    South Florida
    I was thinking about this...
    Without getting in the way means he's not nitpicking at everything like other F.O.s do... You have to ask yourself, would other teams be allowed to line up their QB out wide?....SEVERAL times in a game? I don't think so... That seems unconventional and I can only imagine Bill smiling as Sparano told him their plans. You have to wonder if Bill wanted anything in particular from this game... he knows the Pats are the fame of the AFC East.
    I dunno, just food for thought.

It makes me giddy to know that we have a bunch of football "gods" running the show now. Everyone expect John Bonamego, special teams, has impressed me... and it's only the third game. Hopefully Bill, Ireland, and all the other suits we hired make changes to the coaching staff(if/when "they" dont produce) with as much conviction as when we hired them.

7. anlgp

8. Jackson

Jackson Bruce Banner

Mar 24, 2008
    Connecticut/Florida
    Sparano said he talks with parcells everyday day about personnel. He has an eye for talent and knows how to construct a roster. He gives his opinions on current players and possible acquisitions. According to the players, he is also a motivator. Parcells impact is more likely felt in the offseason/draft than from week to week but make no mistake, he is working and making this team better from top to bottom.

9. GISH

GISH ~mUST wARN oTHERS~

Nov 23, 2007
    Over Yonder
    parcells is the babysitter. nuff said.

10. Crappy Tipper

Crappy Tipper AKA Hero13

Aug 23, 2008
    I'm just thrilled that your loss-o-meter can't go all the way to the top now.

11. pennphinfan

pennphinfan Stelin Canez Arcade Scorz

Dec 13, 2007
    Los Angeles
    well i remember in his Real Sports interview he said he'd be doing a lot of office work and playing a lot of golf so.. there you have it. I don't mind that he's kinda invisible. He's getting the job done upstairs and not giving the media all that 'told you so' press about him secretly controlling all aspects of the team.

12. NJFINSFAN1

NJFINSFAN1 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 24, 2007
    Northwest New Jersey

Players have said he walks in on practices and offers tips here and there.

13. anlgp

I have read a few D players saying he was teaching them where to put their hands on blocks one day so I can corroborate with that.

14. gunn34

gunn34 I miss Don & Dan

Jan 5, 2008
    Oviedo FL
    I read one player say when he was lifting weights, Parcels was there watching and all the players pushed up the weight a couple more times. Just because Parcells was there. Gotta love that.