1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What if: Chad Pennington Poll

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Ohio Fanatic, Aug 26, 2009.

which teams would Chad Pennington have won the most superbowls with?

1. Joe Montana led - 49ers superbowl teams

27 vote(s)
    58.7%
  2. Phil Simms/Hostetler - Giants superbowl teams

8 vote(s)
    17.4%
  3. Troy Aikman led - Cowboys superbowl teams

5 vote(s)
    10.9%
  4. Tom Brady led - Patriots superbowl teams

3 vote(s)
    6.5%
  5. None - he would have been Jim Kelly-esqe with any of these teams

3 vote(s)
    6.5%
  1. Ohio Fanatic

Ohio Fanatic Twuaddle or bust Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    It's still pretty slow here, so something I've been thinking about lately. Being a big Chad P fan, I still strongly support the argument that given the correct talent and system, he can help you win a superbowl (and no, i don't think we're there yet).

My question is: if Chad Pennington were on the previous superbowl winning dynasty teams, would he have won the same number of superbowls given the superior talent those teams possessed (before the modern era free agency began)? And if so, which team would he have been the most successful with?

My choice? 49ers. I think the WCO + fact that his skills are closest to Joe Montana - average arm, superior field general/leader, receivers who had great YAC

dolfan7171 likes this.
  2. Bumrush

Bumrush Stable Genius Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    I voted Aikmen..

Good big targets, a dominant running game and D...

He could have had success under those JJ teams..

3. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    I went for the Montana led teams. I think his accuracy would have been perfect for that system. I think he could have won with the Cowboys too but almost any QB could have.

late again likes this.
  4. PhinsRock

PhinsRock Premium Member Luxury Box

Montana for the same reasons you stated. The WCO suits his mindset, accuracy, and is mostly short throws.

5. NJFINSFAN1

NJFINSFAN1 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 24, 2007
    Northwest New Jersey
    You could also add the Raven team that won with Dilfer and the Buc team that won with Johnson.

6. DrAstroZoom

DrAstroZoom Canary in a Coal Mine Luxury Box

Jan 8, 2008
    Springfield, Ill.
    This is just a damn weird question. Not a bad one, mind you. Just weird. It's kind of hurting my brain.

7. Ohio Fanatic

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    Could have added the redskins too, but mainly wanted to limit it to teams with multiple superbowl wins.

8. Bumrush

Nov 25, 2007
    Don't agree with that one.. Remember Dilfer had a cannon. A lot of their scores were a result of some pretty bombs Dilfer threw..

9. NJFINSFAN1

NJFINSFAN1 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 24, 2007
    Northwest New Jersey

Pennington is a lot smarter than Dilfer and a much better QB although, and that team won with defense, not offense.

10. USArmyFinFan

USArmyFinFan Maximum Effort

Mar 23, 2008
    Houston Texas
    49er's, as for why, just read almost every statement from above.

11. Bumrush

Nov 25, 2007
    No question their D accounted for 95% of their success... But if you recall, those long bombs by Dilfer accounted for large chunks of their yardage...

12. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    If you exchange Chad for him though you'd have a LOT more consistancy in the short game which would easily have made up for it. Chad would have led an offense that controlled the clock more than they did already, and that could have made the defense even better.

Scary thought.

13. Paul 13

Paul 13 Chaotic Neutral & Unstable Genius Staff Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Yeah, it's odd... it makes me dizzy, nauzeous... but yet, I can't stop thinking about it... it's like a bad movie with no ending... and yet, I have to answer it... I go with the Giants. Parcells' team, Pennington is Parcells kind of quarterback (he drafted him). Have to believe that Pennington would have liked having Bavaro, McConkey and that offensive line.

dolfan7171 and Ohio Fanatic like this.
  14. Ohio Fanatic

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    Interesting, I hadn't even thought about that aspect: fitting into yet another Parcells team.

15. azfinfanmang

azfinfanmang Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Yeah, I agree with Zoomer :lol:

Would have to say either the fruityniners (I think he is Joe Montana with a lesser arm) or Dallas (Who couldn't strive behind that line and talent

16. Ohio Fanatic

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    That's kind of a no-brainer. Maybe a more relevant question:

which superbowl LOSERS could Dan Marino have won a superbowl with?

Would he have made a difference in the Baltimore trouncing of the Giants?

Could he have won any of those Denver/Buffalo debacles? (probably not)

What about close games like Philly losing to the patriots, or Titans barely losing to the Rams?

17. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    he could even get the Jets to a play off :yes:& did every time he started the season:up:

18. like2god

like2god Typical white person Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    CNY
    You have to stay healthy in order to win the SB, something that Pennington hasn't been able to do consistently.

19. Ohio Fanatic

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    Flip side of that coin: if he had those great offensive lines, it might have increased the chances of him staying healthy. I know his arm/shoulder has been his big issue, but that could still be related to being knocked down on a regular basis.

I'm kind of surprised there were 3 votes for the last option - no superbowl victories.

dolfan7171, NJFINSFAN1 and like2god like this.
  20. like2god

Nov 22, 2007
    CNY
    Okay, but that requires alot of projection. One could also make the argument that Yatil Green could have been a HOF player had he been drafted by another team. :wink2:

Point being, the way I went about the question was to take the "known" about Pennington and those teams and come to a conclusion. I didn't want to get into the broader speculation because there are an infinite number of possibilities.

21. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    was healthy for the entire season & trained w/ his private trainer throughout the off-season.
    Pennington claims to be finally healed of his injuries(incurred as a Jet)better than ever, ready to play
    & in the best shape of his life. :bighug: who you going to believe?

he's been consistently good & consistently healthy for us:yes:think about it

22. like2god

Nov 22, 2007
    CNY
    He's only been on the team for one year, to say that he has been consistently good and healthy is extremely misleading. Throughout his career he has been consistently unhealthy, only playing 16 games twice in his career and 10 or more game in 5 out of 9.

So who do I believe? I believe his medical record, it's much longer than his superbowl highlights. :wink2:

That's great Travis, but he has only played 10 games or more 5 times throughout his career, that isn't very confidence inspiring. :up:

I don't think anyone is questioning his value when he is out on the field, every knows that he is a very good game manager who has some limitations, the problem is that he isn't out on the field nearly enough.

23. like2god

Nov 22, 2007
    CNY
    Umm...I think that Pennington's arm definitely limits our ability to go vertical in the passing game and I also think that it hurts our run game because the defense can stack the box. I think Henne will be able to add that down the field aspect to our offense once he gets a chance to play. As far as Henne, he still needs to work on his game, that may or may not come from playing time. He isn't the leader or game manager that Pennington is, but that doesn't mean that he can't be that player.

If the objective is to win as many games as possible right away, then Pennington is the man for the job. If the goal is to put the player our there who can maximze all of his weapons and open up the passing game, then I think you have to give Henne his shot. :wink2:

24. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    don't lose your sense of humor. of course I know it's been one year.
    however
    that is the only way you get it, one year @ a time
    the Pennington Renaissance continues:up:

25. dolfan7171

dolfan7171 Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2009
    Arizona
    I would say the Cowboys teams. Maybe he would have won a few rings by now if he did.