1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What Happened to my Safari Web Browser?

Discussion in 'Questions and Answers' started by MonstBlitz, Dec 28, 2011.

1. MonstBlitz

MonstBlitz Nobody's Fart Catcher

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    It literally changed overnight and I'm not sure how. Don't remember downloading any updates. Mainly, my blue scroll bar on the right is missing, replaced with a really ****ty gray one that only shows up when you click near the right side of a window. It's annoying the piss out of me and I hate it. Can't find any fixes via google. Anyone here know how to or if I can get my old blue scroll bars back? It's version 5.1.2. Thanks in advance!

2. Desides

Desides Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    Is this on Windows or OS X? OS X Lion imported iOS' scrollbar behavior, only showing it when you scroll around the page. It's not going away and you'll have to just deal with it. (It's better.)

If this is on Windows, don't know what to tell you, as I only use Windows for gaming and never tried the Safari port.

3. MonstBlitz

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    Except for the fact it doesn't seem to work with certain sections of Itunes at all which means there are now playlists completely inaccessible. Maybe it will grow on me, but for right now I hate it. So you're saying I'm stuck with it? No way around it? Looks like I'm switching to Firefox then.

4. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    So this is OS X? Because the issue you're describing now—inaccessible playlists—simply is wrong. You need to scroll with either your mouse's wheel, the trackpad gesture, or the arrow keys. When the scroll bar appears, you can click+hold it and drag as usual, but it simply doesn't appear by default anymore.

And expect Firefox to eventually update to follow Lion's UI conventions.

5. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    Steve Jobs must be rolling in his money-grave. What's this? Taking away control from the user?

6. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    That's not really what happened here.

7. Boik14

Boik14 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    Why you gotta call out the iCrook like that?

I kid, I kid. Desides would hack my computer if I didnt put this in there...or maybe its for being a knicks fan :)

8. MonstBlitz

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    Desides, I know you love being argumentative but telling someone their issue is "wrong" is, well, wrong. It might be user error on my part, but it doesn't mean those play lists aren't still inaccessible to me. I'll look into it some more and see if I can figure it out. But in my humble opinion, this new functionality sucks hard.

9. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    I don't think I've ever used the scroll bar. Love the trackpad 2 finger scroll. Or the arrows.

10. BlameItOnTheHenne

BlameItOnTheHenne Taking a poop

Aug 15, 2010
    Davie

[​IMG]

Boik14, Desides and SICK like this.
  11. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    It's not about being argumentative. It's that one issue likely has nothing to do with the other, particularly since the absence of a scroll bar doesn't mean you can't scroll. If your iTunes playlists are missing, that's an issue with iTunes, not an issue with the absent scroll bar—and again, you don't need the scroll bar present to actually scroll.

12. MonstBlitz

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    It's absolutely about being argumentative. Whether you're chiming in to tell someone their opinion is wrong, that the problem they are experiencing doesn't actually exist, or about whether or not you're being argumentative, everything with you is an argument.

Congratulations on being Phin.com's greatest

[​IMG]

I travel so little with my Macbook and use a mouse with it so often I wasn't aware of this functionality. I guess I'll have to get used to it.

13. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    Given that you just stated to SICK that you didn't know about the feature I described back in post #4, it seems your problem has been solved using the suggestion outlined there.

You're welcome.

14. MonstBlitz

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    Given the fact I was put off by your post when you suggested my problems were "wrong" and that you didn't explain what a trackpad gesture was, I didn't find your post very helpful.

But thanks all the same.