1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What do you think our plan is at QB?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by AGuyNamedAlex, Nov 4, 2019.

1. KeyFin

KeyFin Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2009
    Jalen Hurts is that type of player...and he's probably not going in the top 10 (at least if the draft was today). If we're not getting our ideal QB with the #1 pick, he'd be my guy with one of the late 1st rounders.

Puka-head, resnor and Tin Indian like this.
  2. mlb1399

mlb1399 Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2010
    We know they’re looking for a franchise QB. We’ll likely be in a position to select one even after our “disappointing” win on Sunday.

Now whether they decide to go after one this year, middle of the first round or next year is going to come down to their evaluation of the talent that’s available.

I’d be fine with selecting Young and getting the best defensive player and then going QB with our second pick in the first round.

Mexphin likes this.
  3. jdallen1222

jdallen1222 Well-Known Member

May 31, 2013
    Plantation, Fl
    The Old Bama qb? Did he get faster? Haven’t seen him play since he got pulled from the title game years ago.

4. Vertical Limit

Vertical Limit Senior Member

Nov 25, 2007
    My plan at qb... Fitzpatrick will be here next season, either as the opening day starter or the backup. My guess is Flores will want the rookie to sit the first few games out till he feels hes ready. I think Fitz will be a Dolphin as a backup till he decides to retire.

Josh Rosen will not make the roster. He will be at training camp but will be cut before the 2020 regular season begins.

we drsft a quarterback, it wont be with our first pick. We will take a hard look at Jalen Hurts and maybe Jordan Love with our 1B or 1C pick.

Puka-head, resnor and KeyFin like this.
  5. KeyFin

KeyFin Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2009
    He's in Oklahoma and playing with a lot of poise this season. I haven't caught all their games but what I saw was impressive.

Tin Indian and resnor like this.
  6. texanphinatic

texanphinatic Senior Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    Except RG3 was excellent. His issue was injury and then Shanahan sticking him back in the game on a bum leg all but ending both of their careers.

For trading, the issue will definitely be finding a partner that doesn't need a QB. If there isn't a good scenario to get a QB this year, take the best talent or trade down and punt QB till 2021 (Trevor and Fields). It's a risk, and not one you count on, but a reach isn't a great solution either.

7. Galant

Galant Love - Unity - Sacrifice - Eternity

Apr 22, 2014

KeyFin likes this.
  8. Striking

Striking Junior Member

Apr 21, 2008
    Aurora, Colorado
    Jacob Eason better stay in for his senior year based on last night's performance.

Puka-head likes this.
  9. Unlucky 13

Unlucky 13 Team Raheem Club Member

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    Pretty common theme this year with most of the underclassmen.

10. ExplosionsInDaSky

ExplosionsInDaSky Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2011
    I think our plan is to take the best player available with our pick. IF that happens to be a QB (who is available) then I definitely see us taking a signal caller with our very first offseason move. I don't think there is any possibly way this team drafts outside of the top 3. We are for sure without a doubt going to get a top 3 pick in this draft lol. I don't think this is like the "suck for luck" year where we reeled off six wins and had everyone believing in Matt Moore magic. No....We are probably looking at 2-14 or 3-13 for the year and that will put us in the top three I think. My guess is we draft either Tua or Joe Burrow with our pick unless they are somehow gone in which case we take Chase Young who isn't a Quarterback. If we somehow land at four or five in the draft, then I think Justin Herbert becomes a likely scenario. I'd say our chances of drafting a Quarterback and addressing that position with our very first pick is highly likely at about 90 percent...Unless Chase Young has something to say about it.

Our only other options in regards to the position would be to bring back Fitz and Rosen once again. Maybe shore up the O line and hope they can improve? Sounds like a recipe for another losing season which some of you are fine with, but not me.
    There is always free agency if the team sours on the incoming prospects in the 2020 draft (which I highly doubt). Names like Philip Rivers, and Eli Manning wont be wearing aqua in 2020. Teddy Bridgewater already told us no, and journeymen such as Case Keenum and Colt McCoy are no better options than Fitzpatrick. There is always the possibility that the team does something stupid and adds a Jameis Winston or Marcus Mariotta to the roster which would send me into a fit of rage. We've done things like this before, but something tells me that wont happen this time. So to answer the OPs question in short....I think we will draft our guy this year with our first draft pick.

Puka-head and resnor like this.
  11. Tin Indian

Tin Indian Rockin' The Bottom End Club Member

Feb 10, 2010
    Palm Bay Florida
    If you haven't seen Jalen Hurts play lately you need to watch him today. His passing has improved tremendously in the last year and a half. He is worth looking at. Oklahoma plays at 8 tonight.

Puka-head, jdallen1222 and resnor like this.
  12. Puka-head

Puka-head My2nd Fav team:___vs Jets Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Slightly left of center
    We will end up with 6 picks in the top 100. Use 2 of them on the best QB available and another on day 3. Pick 3 this year. One should stick, if you end up with two and have a Rivers/Brees problem that would be great. Plan on picking a top five guy next year too. When you don't have a qualified sniper taking the shot your best bet is to send rounds down range, lots of rounds, and don't cease fire until you know the target is eliminated.

Say we end up this year with something like pick 3, 15, 25, 35 55,65...

pick 3 and 35/55 or pick 15 and 65, plus a pick after 150 would be a good. 2 in the top 100 and a fifth/sixth rd pick.

I would rather pick 2 players to compete than use two picks to trade up for 1 guy, but I would be OK with it if they are sold on one guy.

That would be my plan.

resnor likes this.
  13. ripper1961

ripper1961 Active Member

Jan 13, 2014
    Burrow looked pretty good today!

Mexphin, Tin Indian, resnor and 2 others like this.
  14. pumpdogs

pumpdogs Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2009
    delaware
    I have been saying it for months.
    Bomb for Burrow!

Mexphin and resnor like this.
  15. cbrad

cbrad .

Dec 21, 2014
    Both Tua and Burrow played well. This is good for us. It means the #2 pick might not be much worse than the #1 pick if you want a QB.

Tin Indian likes this.
  16. Vertical Limit

Nov 25, 2007
    He is damn good, made one bad mistake but showed up as the front runner for the Heisman since Chase is out.

resnor likes this.
  17. Dolphin Dundee

Dolphin Dundee Well-Known Member

Sep 27, 2015
    Yeh i would be happy with either QB to be honest if we had to reach... I just have a vision that Tua is a Bengal next year. I just hope we have enough picks left over for "Dicker the Kicker" somehow in the later rounds.

18. keypusher

keypusher Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2007
    They'd show Burrow on the sideline in the fourth quarter and he almost looked bored. And then he'd come out and bring them right down the field. Amazing.

19. Vertical Limit

Nov 25, 2007
    What he did in Tuscaloosa of all places is unprecedented.. alabama had a 32 game home winning streak before today.. which was in 2012 against Texas AM Johnny Manziel..

Puka-head likes this.
  20. pumpdogs

Sep 22, 2009
    delaware
    I'll take Burrow over Tua 7 days a week.

Mexphin and mullingan like this.
  21. KeyFin

KeyFin Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2009
    Personally, I thought Burrows outplayed Tua by a country mile today. Tua did great with protection, horrible without it. Burrows played solid regardless and I think he's CLEARLY the #1 QB in the draft.

Mexphin and Puka-head like this.
  22. Tin Indian

Feb 10, 2010
    Palm Bay Florida
    Only thing I took away from that game is I think Burrow has a little more zip on his ball and Tua throws one of the prettiest deep balls I've seen in a long darn time.

I don't think either out played the other. And you can hardly knock Tua since he was playing on that bad ankle. His normal mobility was curtailed quite a bit.

I'll take either one. And I don't have a preference on which one either.

23. pumpdogs

Sep 22, 2009
    delaware

24. The_Dark_Knight

The_Dark_Knight Defender of the Truth

Nov 24, 2007
    Rockledge, FL
    I know this thread isn't an LSU v Alabama thread but seeing how the two QB's are going to be top prospects in the draft and that is the topic of discussion...

It was an exciting game and both quarterbacks played great but in all honesty, I don't Burrows nor Tua are going to prosper in the NFL. Granted I know that Tua's ankle limited his mobility, but when he didn't have protection, he folded. Burrows was more mobile and was able to scramble and turn a loss into a gain however, I don't see their great collegiate play translating into great NFL play. I know it's not going to be a popular opinion, but that's just what I see.

Najee Harris though on the other hand...that's going to be a kid to watch!

KeyFin likes this.
  25. Vertical Limit

Nov 25, 2007
    I was blown away by Najee Harris, Jeudy, Jamarr Chase, Clyde Edwards,

Klavon Chaison... Klavon was doing it all defensively for LSU... just a sophomore tho but next year he may be the first linebacker off the board..

All the receivers from both sides showed theyre all going to be in the NFL..

This game will have a record setting of NFL talent lol.. Xavier McKinney was pretty damn good blitzing for a safety..

26. cbrad

cbrad .

Dec 21, 2014
    Just playing the odds you're probably right. Quality of competition in college is just so low in comparison to the NFL that it's really hard to predict which college QB's will succeed in the NFL. It's still better to gamble on a hot college prospect than one that is less impressive.

As far as Tua folding when he didn't have protection, I really think his ankle was messing with his head a bit because he's shown exceptional mobility in the past, and some of what we saw yesterday just doesn't fit with his past play.

Tin Indian likes this.
  27. KeyFin

KeyFin Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2009
    Here's my big worry with Tua- two years ago, he was down 3 TD's in the championship game when Jalen Hurts came in and rallied them back. They had a soft schedule last year, steamrolled through average opponents, then got blown out by Clemson. This season, Alabama plays weak teams again throughout the season, Tua dominates with his 7 second pocket time, then they finally get a quality opponent and they lose. This is a three year trend of Tua blowing it in big games.

What we saw yesterday is as close as Burrows/Tua gets to the pro level while still in college...both teams are loaded with talent. Yes, Tua has a beautiful deep ball to the nation's top receiver and we saw it repeatedly when protection held up, but he also had moments where he appeared to be in full panic mode. His untouched fumble was baffling...I'm not sure why or how the ball came out...but that was essentially the difference in the game.

I think Tua is a good quarterback- but we're not looking for someone good at this time. Tannehill was good, Fitzpatrick is good. We're looking for a 10 year starter and I think Tua is nothing special compared to the average NFL talent today. The poise Burrows showed in the pocket, even when he was under heavy pressure, makes him the top choice for me and I really think Jalen Hurtz is my #2 pick. We can't go all-in on a quarterback who's been hurt three seasons in a row AND couldn't win a shootout in big games....not with the supporting cast Alabama has.

The college playoffs will be interesting since there's a chance Alabama doesn't even make it to the final four....they might drop one more to Auburn before all is said and done since their pass rush is also legit. Clemson is largely untested this season so we don't know how good they are either. Meanwhile, Burrows and LSU have been dominating top-10 teams and top 10 defenses all year long...if they continue to dominate, I don't see how Burrows isn't the #1 overall pick.

BrazForPhins and pumpdogs like this.
  28. Tin Indian

Feb 10, 2010
    Palm Bay Florida
    Keyfin, you're touching on one of my concerns with Tua. He has had a pretty easy schedule certainly this year and it seems he struggles in big games. Now yesterday he had a mediocre 1st half but came out on fire in the 2nd. I've seen most of his games this year and his mobility was pretty much nonexistent yesterday. Kudos to him coming out and playing yesterday and he played very well.

Burrows impressed me yesterday. Enough that he is probably my #1 choice by a small margin right now. I also really like Jalen Hurts. He is the most dynamic QB in the draft but he still needs some development. He doesn't have crazy speed like Jackson but he can run. 5td's yesterday. 3 Passing and 2 more rushing and over 350 yards passing.

In any event that was one of the best games I've seen in a very long time!

KeyFin likes this.
  29. TheHighExhaulted

TheHighExhaulted Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2008
    I would love Tua or Burrow. But guess what? They aren't going to get either of them because Miami is going to play themselves out of the top 5.

30. Tin Indian

Feb 10, 2010
    Palm Bay Florida
    Yep. Like it or not those guys on the field, coaches and players alike, are trying to win and don't give a damn what everyone thinks they should be doing.

Hooligan and mlb1399 like this.
  31. TheHighExhaulted

Jan 15, 2008
    Yay! Participation trophies for everyone!

32. mlb1399

Mar 6, 2010
    nothing to do with participation trophies. This is teaching the nucleus of our our team to ignore the tank story outside the locker room, focus on your jobs and learning how to compete. This is more important than any one player or draft pick.

resnor and Tin Indian like this.
  33. TheHighExhaulted

Jan 15, 2008
    There might be 5 players on the current team on the roster in 2021. Don't give me that.

34. Deus ex dolphin

Deus ex dolphin Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Yeah, I don't think most of these guys will be around by 2021. It does seems to indicate that Flores can motivate guys to play above their level as it were, which is a real positive.

resnor likes this.
  35. TheHighExhaulted

Jan 15, 2008
    Yeah, Vince Biegel might have something to say about that.

PSYCH

36. mlb1399

Mar 6, 2010
    I disagree. We certainly need to upgrade a lot of positions but Davis, Kilgore, Wilkins, Charlton, Baker, Howard, McCain, Williams, Dieter and Sanders will be core parts of this team. With how Parker and Giesicki have been playing, maybe them too.

37. resnor

resnor Derp Sherpa

Nov 25, 2007
    New Hampshire
    It's crazy how invested some of you are in losing. Absolutely crazy.

38. Hooligan

Hooligan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 31, 2018
    Costa Rica
    You know, it's not a bad strategy to look for the later draft pick QB like Rodgers, Mahomes or Jackson type instead of the "sure thing" #1 overall Mayfield type. There are many options that can be successful in a rebuild. Getting the right coaches is far more important. Enjoy the ride.

BrazForPhins, mlb1399 and resnor like this.
  39. AGuyNamedAlex

AGuyNamedAlex Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2015

I've seen a great QB carry coaches. I've never really seen great coaching carry a crap QB.

40. TheHighExhaulted

Jan 15, 2008
    What is that 3 guys? How about the 800 other QBs drafted later who couldn't make an NFL roster.