1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What do if Matt Moore keeps playing this well?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Tin Indian, Nov 23, 2011.

1. jdang307

jdang307 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    That isn't saying much though. I mean, hell Troy Aikman got in with just 165 TDs and 141 INTs. That's terrible. But he did win. Can't say the same about Pennington from what we saw.

Pennington may have if he kept those numbers for 12-15 years.

Carson Palmer was on a HOF trajectory until oh 2007

2. Kud_II

Kud_II Realist Division

Oct 15, 2011
    Seneca, SC
    If... Moore keeps playing well, he starts next year while we develop a franchise QB behind him.

3. Hellion

Hellion Crash Club Member

Dec 4, 2007
    Here and there
    You dont ignore the position because your backup QB is playing well. The current #2 is JP Losman...really? Henne will end up else where, you need a 3rd QB, so you draft for the future. 1st round pick should be used on a QB, because no matter how well Moore plays the rookie could be better. Even if the pick turns out to be a bust in a few years the desicion is the correct one. You dont turn down a talent like Barkley, RGIII , Jones if they are there because a career backup is playing well.

Not to mention more than likely This staff is gone after this season and the new staff will want thier QB. We have seen teams play this game before, including our own team. We also watched this franchise ignore this position since Marino was under center, without fore thought that we were going to need to replace him soon, specially in the late 90's when he was coming to the end of his career. Can this franchise really risk yet another opertunity on a franchise QB just for the sakes of Matt Moore playing well? NO it cant.

4. The_Dark_Knight

The_Dark_Knight Defender of the Truth

Nov 24, 2007
    Rockledge, FL
    I'm going to ignore your silly notion about ignoring the position because your back up is playing well. With that philosphy, quarterbacks such as Marino, Brady and Young would have been backups.

And I can tell you this with almost 100% certainty...after watching the way Ross has managed the team this year, if the Dolphins win out...or come close to winning out, Sparano and company will be here next year.

5. Hellion

Hellion Crash Club Member

Dec 4, 2007
    Here and there
    I didnt say you ignore the position because the backup is playing well. read it again. i said you dont ignore it.

The only thing silly is the notion that you dont draft a QB because a guy who was a 5 year backup is having some success. And when was Marino ever a backup other than the 4 or 5 games behind Woodley? Brady only one a superbowl and was well Brady, and Young? You mean Steve Young who was a starter with Tampa and brought in to eventually replace Montana. Montana just wasnt ready to be replaced.
    Moore is no Marino, Brady Young, and you may as well throw in Warner too. The problem with your theory is that these guys played lights out, won superbowls or in Youngs case went to the probowl before eventually winning a SB with SF.

For as many names as you wanna throw out there, there are teams that have passed on QBs because their current QB was playing well enough. The biggest in my opinion was Pittsburgh passing on Marino because Malone was playing well and they liked the backups. They still kick themselves for that. Who was our QB when we passed on Brees? TWICE Hmmm.

And unless you have some kind of inside knowledge of what Ross is going to do at the end of the season I wouldnt be putting 100% on anything he says or does until its official.

6. PHINANALYST

PHINANALYST Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2008
    North Carolina
    while i'll agree that Henne is best suited to move on .... if i were the JESTS i would grab him ... but none-the-less - he still has great potential, certainly more than Sanchez. As a PHIN PHAN, though, it would be best for them to stick with Sanchez ...

Moore has been the benificiary of a much improved offense -- much more specifically, Bush has finally been integrated, Clay has been a nice addition; which alone has impacts on Marshall, Hartline and Bess. By the end of the year, we'll also have an improved Gates ... Henne never at any point had an offense like this -- certainly not in the 1st three games either ...

Regardless, Moore needs to be retained and a QB needs to be drafted .... this years class is at least as good as last years as far as depth with Luck, Barkley and Jones with more to be added.

Still believe we should bring Henne back with Moore and a draft pick .... so the draftee can sit for a year, 2 if need be if Henne/Moore can win. I am not as confident with Moore as the primary mentor ... but then who knows.

7. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    The response was to a "what if", specifically if he could have avoided all those injuries. He only started one season before his first injury and in that season he took a very poor performing team to a division win. I don't know that it can be said that we didn't see him win before the injuries.

8. unifiedtheory

unifiedtheory Sub Pending Luxury Box

Nov 24, 2007
    Burnaby, BC, Canada
    We draft a quarterback in the first round and we keep drafting one until we get one.

MAFishFan likes this.
  9. Conuficus

Conuficus Premium Member Luxury Box

Dec 8, 2007
    Well away from here
    Draft only quarterbacks eh? Different, but it might work. If we can't find a guy after drafting 6 of them at the same time we know once and for all that our talent evaluators just plain suck.

dolfan32323 and MrClean like this.
  10. Dolphins1Beatles

Dolphins1Beatles Ziggy Stardust

Oct 9, 2009
    New York
    Guess we can end it? He is a BACKUP, nothing more. A QB who plays nicely sometimes but overall average is exactly what we've been dealing with.

He's not as good as Jay Fieder...which means we Keep Looking. We'll PROBABLY finish 5-11? Maybe 6-10...we have lots of teams like Seattle with 4 wins, so it's very likely our record will get one of the top 4 prospects.

Of course, I'm assuming they all enter, since we don't know. We know Luck and Weeden will be in.

11. Matt Moore's #1 Fan

Matt Moore's #1 Fan New Member

Sep 27, 2011
    Matt Moore(notes) 19 32 288 59.4 9.0 4 25 1 0 99.5

Tony Romo(notes) 22 34 226 64.7 6.6 1 8 2 2 78.8

Matt didnt loose this game

MrClean likes this.
  12. jw3102

jw3102 season ticket holder

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    Moore is a decent QB who doesn't turn the ball over frequently and is able to keep his team in the game. The problem is that he is not a franchise type QB. If the Dolphins want to remain a mediocre team, they should keep Moore as their starting QB in the future. The number one need for the Dolphins is the same right now as it has been since the season began. A franchise QB who can make the plays at the end of a game, so the Dolphins actually win a game in the closing seconds and not lose these type games.

13. rdhstlr23

rdhstlr23 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Chicago, IL
    Moore has a place on this team next year. Is it as a starter? I don't know. We must draft a guy. But, of that guy is RGIII or Tannehill who are both "projects", do you play them right away?

MrClean likes this.
  14. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Until:

-he sticks throws he has to make
    -avoids taking sacks

There will be questions about him, I like him, not sold on him though.

NyPhinfan likes this.
  15. PSG

PSG Clear Eyes. Full Hearts.

Nov 24, 2007
    North of the Border
    I guess we don't have to worry about this question.
    Look, dude is a solid backup, but I don't want to go into a season as Moore as the starter.
    And he certainly isn't the future.

16. jw3102

jw3102 season ticket holder

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    I am not a fan of Tannehill so I certainly hope he is NOT the Dolphins QB selection in the 2012 draft. I do hope though that RGIII is available when the Dolphins draft in the first round. While I think Moore will probably be the starter early next season. With a new head coach in place. who is not worried about his job, I think the QB drafted in the first round should be the starter early in the season next year. The new coach and GM will have the luxury of not having to win immediately. This will give them a few seasons to give the new QB game experience as well as fill many of the other weaknesses on the team.

I don't think RGIII is as big a project as you seem to think he is. I think he could come in and be the starter almost immediately. He is going to have a learning curve, as all rookie QB's do. I think by his second year as a starter, he could very easily progress to a point that he will be the franchise QB the Dolphins have been looking for since Marino retired.

17. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

I'm not so sure you would play Jones or Barkley right away either.

18. PSG

PSG Clear Eyes. Full Hearts.

Nov 24, 2007
    North of the Border
    I tend to agree with this.
    There is only one QB in the upcoming draft that you play right away.
    And this team let 3 meaningless wins get in the way of drafting him.

19. MrClean

I wonder if Molly Cavalli agrees too? ;)

Actually, since Luck probably goes to the Colts to sit and learn behind Manning for a couple of seasons, it's possible none of the top 3-6 rookie QBs play right away.
    Overall, the ones who sat for the first season or so of their careers probably turned out better than the ones who were forced to play from the get go.

20. brandon27

brandon27 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    Id play him next year maybe until our draft pick is ready to play. That's it. Its plain and simple, we need a QB. Matt Moore, IMO, cost us this game today. He left too many plays on the field. He's not a quality starter, sure he got us on a 3 game winning streak, but that was against 3 teams playing mediocre football at the time. He's nothing but a back up, thats it. I just hope Jeff Ireland realizes it if he's still here next year. Im sure any other GM we bring in will realize it, so we should be ok.

21. muscle979

muscle979 Season Ticket Holder

Dec 12, 2007
    Evans, GA
    Luck's not going to sit anywhere for any amount of seasons.

PSG likes this.
  22. Dolphins1Beatles

Dolphins1Beatles Ziggy Stardust

Oct 9, 2009
    New York
    Exactly, and this is why we're a mediocre franchise. I said in another post, the ONLY team besides the Jets and Patriots that finished above .500 that Miami has beaten in the 4 seasons that this regime has been here were the Packers in 2010. Usually when all you have is a mediocre QB, that is what happens. New coaching staff hopefully nails it in the draft.

Having mediocre QB's means having to kick more red zone Field (Fail) Goals.

23. MrClean

So, if he goes to the Colts and Manning comes back healthy, Luck is going to beat him out for the starting job?

24. BlameItOnTheHenne

BlameItOnTheHenne Taking a poop

Aug 15, 2010
    Davie
    He may not want to go to the Colts at all if there's a good chance of sitting for a few years.

25. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    I think his pro-bowl votes are going to take a hit after this one...

Dolphins1Beatles likes this.
  26. MrClean

So, you're saying if he is drafted by the Colts, Andrew and Oliver are going to pull an Eli and Archie stunt on them?

27. BlameItOnTheHenne

BlameItOnTheHenne Taking a poop

Aug 15, 2010
    Davie
    I'm not saying he will because I'm not certain if he would be willing to sit or not. But it's possible.

28. rdhstlr23

rdhstlr23 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Chicago, IL
    True. And if Moore is the guy, you know you'll get great performances and then performances like these. He wasn't bad, but he wasn't great when you needed him to be.

29. muscle979

muscle979 Season Ticket Holder

Dec 12, 2007
    Evans, GA
    Yes, or the Colts will get rid of Peyton. What makes you think a prospect as coveted as Luck is going to ride pine for two or three seasons?

30. Phyl

Phyl New Member

Dec 26, 2010
    Peyton will demand a trade or get cut by 2013 if Luck lives up to his billing. I could see Peyton going to the Jest or 49ers if he's trying to get one last ring.

31. Rocky Raccoon

Rocky Raccoon Greasepaint Ghost Staff Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    I'm not really sure why everyone is bashing Moore right now. I thought he played well enough to win. He made some big time throws and yet again the lack of a running game hurt us in the red zone.

EDIT: I'm not saying Moore deserves no blame, he does. He missed some throws, but some are making it out to be solely his fault we lost.

muscle979, dolfan32323 and MrClean like this.
  32. MrClean

I was under the impression the size of the guaranteed money in Manning's contract pretty much made him not able to be traded or cut, if one were to look at it practically. IMO, he won't be traded or cut, and the Colts will draft Luck anyway. Feel free to disagree.

33. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Psshaw, MMoore was playing ILB and missing tackles, he also kicked FG's and missed one, he also played LT and jumped offsides twice, he also played DE and DT and got no pressure at all on Romo, he played Cb and missed sacks of Romo.

Qb's are just lightning rods.

maynard and MrClean like this.
  34. Frumundah Finnatic

Frumundah Finnatic U Mad Miami?

Dec 2, 2007
    Miami FL
    This game is why Matt Moore will never be a franchise QB. Kill yourself if you think otherwise.

35. finfansince72

finfansince72 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 18, 2007
    Columbia, South Carolina
    Its a bit unfair to blame Moore completely for the loss but the reality is that he could have won the game with a few better throws and being able to handle the shotgun snap, its harsh to give him all the blame but a really good Qb wins that game no doubt about it. He's a backup that is playing admirably but he isn't a franchise game changing Qb and we aren't good enough to win consistently with a game manager/field goal machine.

Dolphins1Beatles likes this.
  36. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Eegads..really?

37. Jaj

Jaj Registered

Mar 23, 2008
    Los Angeles
    He's fine as a caretaker quarterback. Nothing to see here.

38. Frumundah Finnatic

Frumundah Finnatic U Mad Miami?

Dec 2, 2007
    Miami FL
    Ok that was a little harsh I admit, but the point remains. Moore sucks donkey balls, always has, always will.

39. dolfan32323

dolfan32323 ty xphinfanx

Nov 27, 2007
    Washington DC
    Nail on the head here. He didn't make some throws that could have won the game and is definitely at fault there. he didn't play a terrible game, either, in my opinion. Maybe it's just years of watching crappy Phins QBs that makes me think he didn't play that bad of a game. Who knows?

40. Jaj

Jaj Registered

Mar 23, 2008
    Los Angeles
    It's a tough scenario. Miami probably won't be picking any higher than 10th-14th in the NFL draft. Around that range is where you might have to reach for a Ryan Tannehill to replace Moore.

I say we just do this right. If you like Matt Barkley, you think he's the guy to run your pro style offense, relax, trade up with a future first round pick and go get him. That's all there is to it. We'll figure out the rest later.