1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What Correlates most with Winning? WARNING: STAT MONKEY THREAD!!!

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by MonstBlitz, Aug 17, 2011.

1. MonstBlitz

MonstBlitz Nobody's Fart Catcher

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    I hope the Mods won't mind my tongue in cheek jab at myself in the title. I know calling people stat monkeys isn't nice, but am hoping it's ok since I'm ripping on myself.

What I did was took loads of data on every team from

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/

and copied into an excel spreadsheet. This data was all totals for the entire year in several offensive and defensive categories including points for, points against, Passing TDs, Passing yards, INTS, Rush Yards, Rush TDs, Wins and Losses, DEF Passing TDs allowed, DEF INTs, DEF passing yards against, DEF rush yards against, DEF Rush TDs against, Total TDs, DEF Total TDs against.

From this data I also compiled Winning Percentage, Points Ratio, TD/INT ratio, and INT/TD ratio.

I took just about every category and calculated (in Excel) how it correlated to winning percentage. As I mentioned, this is overall data from all 32 teams. It's a good sample size, meaning we can be somewhat confident in the results. Before I go any further, he's some data on correlation between variables:

Hence, when we see a positive number approaching 1 we can assume as the variable I'm comparing to WP (Winning Percentage) increases, so will winning percentage. Vice versa for a number approaching -1. As X increases, WP will decrease.

I should note, that none of these numbers are exactly 1, so none of this should be looked at as an absolute statement. These are very simple comparisons. Irrespective of other categories. That is to say, If I'm comparing total TDs to WP, it doesn't factor in TDs against. If I wanted to get crazy I'd compare multiple variables, do regression analysis, confidence tests, etc. but since I'm not getting paid and since I've plain forgotten how to do a lot of this, it's just a simple correlation test. Here's the data, and I'm going to present it in order of highest correlations to WP to lowest. To keep this from becoming a novel, I'll only examine in detail some of the correlation coefficients > 0.500.

Points Ratio to WP: Correlation Coefficient = 0.890
    Total Points Against to WP: Correlation Coefficient = -0.721
    Total Points For to WP: Correlation Coefficient = 0.707

Total Offensive TDs to WP: Correlation Coefficient = 0.636

Que John Madden. "The team that scores the most points is probably going to win." No shocker here. Also no surprise that some of the teams that had plenty of points and TDs but posted poor winning percentages had troubles on defense. Note that the points ratio (points for/points against) correlates more to winning than total points. Common sense. This ratio is one of the few that captures both offense and defense and correlates it to WP, so it makes sense that it's correlates highest to WP.

TD/INT ratio to WP: Correlation Coefficient = 0.631

The forgotten QB stat. Especially when discussing and comparing QBs on this board. I included every TD and INT thrown by every player on every team. A strong TD/INT ratio is 2nd only to total offensive TDs in terms of it correlation to winning percentage. Makes sense. Most of us will agree that QB play is crucial. Mistakes such as turnovers are devastating. This category is one of the most individual categories I looked at. That is to say, for almost every team, one person was responsible for the bulk of the TD/INT ratio. So we see here that a stat largley based on the play on one individual correlates quite highly with a team's overall success. And the TD/INT ratio correlates higher, at least based on this data than total yards or total TDs thrown. It is also greater than the negative correlation to total INTs.

Passing TDs to WP: Correlation Coefficient = 0.585

Initially I thought this might have a higher correlation to WP than TD/INT ratio. It's close. I'm not sure if there's enough of a gap to conclude the ratio of TDs to mistakes is more important than total TDs thrown, but it's interesting to note.

Rushing yards against to WP: Correlation Coefficient = -0.560

Stands to reason the more rushing yards a defense gives up the worse a team will do. Of note here is how much more rush yards against correlates negatively with winning percentage than passing yards against (-0.127). I think this is probably due to the fact that poor teams often end up with a lot of passing yards due to playing from behind. Inversely, good teams tend to run more against poor teams when they have a lead.

Total TDs against to WP: Correlation Coefficient = -0.518

Another common sense negative correlation. Interesting that it's less a negative correlation than the positive correlation of total TDs scored to WP. If I had to venture I guess I'd say the fact that teams with great offenses tend to give up a few more TDs due either focusing more on offense than defense, or giving up TDs in garbage time.

Other correlation coefficient's calculated -

Rush TDs against and WP: -0.508
    INTs to WP: -0.502
    Defensive INT/PassingTD allowed to WP: 0.451
    Defensive INTs to WP: 0.406
    Total Rush TDs to WP: 0.405
    Rush yards to WP: 0.348
    Passing TDs against to WP: -0.300
    Passing yards to WP: 0.294
    Passing yards against to WP: -0.127

Conclusions:

I use the term loosely as it's not really prudent to draw any hard and fast conclusions from correlations that are not exactly close to +1 or -1, and given the fact we understand it's all these things combined that really defines a team's success or failure in any given season. Aside from the Points ratio, which I think any of us will agree is very highly correlated with a teams winning percentage. It's also important to note that these numbers, aside from the total points, do not include any special teams data which we all know is important to any team's success or failure.

That being said, it's interesting to see how some of these individual categories, standing alone, correlate to winning. If we were to come away with anything from these numbers it would be that our starting QB really needs to have a positive TD/INT ratio. Moreso than passing yards, total passing TDs or total INTs, the ratio of TDs to INTs need to be positive. And of course, we need to score more points than we give up. But we didn't need any stats to prove that. The good news is, I think this is something Henne could conceivably correct. It might be a stretch for him to throw for more yards or a lot more TDs, but more disciplined play and better coaching could get that ratio on the right side of 1. It's also worth noting that even if Henne does throw more TDs and more yards, if the mistakes also increase it might not make as much difference as we hope.

Oh, and someone tell coach FistPump that the correlation coefficient to field goals made to WP is only 0.236.

Edit to add:

Passer rating margin = 0.781

Per CK's post, I crunched the numbers. Just goes to show how important passing well and stopping the pass is in today's NFL.

Other numbers crunched after the fact:

net pass yards/play differential = 0.648
    adjusted pass yards/play differential = 0.739

Some special teams Data:
    [TABLE]
    [TR]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]AVG. Kick return yards diff to WP[/TD]
    [TD="class: xl63, align: right"]0.272[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]AVG. punt return yards diff to WP[/TD]
    [TD="class: xl63, align: right"]-0.049[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]KR TD Diff to WP[/TD]
    [TD="class: xl63, align: right"]0.175[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]PR TD DIFF to WP[/TD]
    [TD="class: xl63, align: right"]0.113[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]

Da 'Fins, dolfan7171, mbmonk and 22 others like this.
  2. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    MB..saved you the time on that, TD to Int/3rd down conversion percentage/completion percentage/Qb who can run for a 1st down on 3rd down.

The last category is probably the one that least correlates to Winning, however Imo you will find that teams that win games against stronger opponents in W/L terms, have a Qb who can pick up those 1st downs via running the ball.

Basically you need a Qb who has a 2-1 Td to int ration, a 60% or greater completion percentage, and a above the norm 3rd down conversion percentage, when drives are extended by picking up long 3rd downs and converting them into 1st downs, it crushes the defense and leads to wins.

MonstBlitz likes this.
  3. vt_dolfan

vt_dolfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Awsome....thanks

MonstBlitz likes this.
  4. MonstBlitz

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    Hey Padre, did you already do something like this? Can I get the link to the thread? I'd enjoy reading it. Sounds like the only difference is I looked at a lot of non-QB stuff. Didn't want to focus too much on QB, but it always comes back to that...

Also if there's something else someone would like me to run the correlation on let me know. I might already have the data in my spreadsheet or I can add it.

5. GridIronKing34

GridIronKing34 Silently Judging You

Nov 22, 2007
    Denver, CO
    You're not a stat monkey, you're a nerd.

:tongue2:

Clipse, Conuficus and MonstBlitz like this.
  6. MonstBlitz

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    Guilty. The good thing is, while I sat here compiling this, it actually looked like I was working. Boss came back and I didn't even minimize...

dolfan32323, Tone_E and Steve-Mo like this.
  7. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    As far as I know the highest correlating factor in winning is passer rating margin. That would be defined as your offensive passer rating minus your defensive passer rating. That correlates very highly with both winning and championships. Cold Hard Football Facts did a nice study on it, and it's been a long held truism among gambling experts for a long time.

I believe some gambling experts are also fans of passing yards per play margin...which would be offensive yards per pass play minus defensive yards per pass play.

dwhorton, PhinsRock, MrClean and 4 others like this.
  8. NaboCane

NaboCane Banned

Nov 24, 2007
    The key to winning begins and ends with personnel acquisition; it is the alpha and the omega.

The alpha is Quarterback.

And that's the name of that tune.

9. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    When I looked into the Qb who would be on the market this past offseason those metrics struck me MB, the other one I found it is one will be hard pressed to find a team that won without a Qb who produced at least 20 Td's

Those 20 Td's can come in the form of passes or running for Td's as well as passing for them, this is one of the reasons why I was so hot after Kyle Orton, back to back 20 Td seasons means "wins" if the defense and St are even mediocre, if one looks at VY's best yrs, he is right around 20 Td's, or would be if he had played a full season and his production was stable.

Most people do not realize how important that 20 Td plateau is, similarily the Rb with 280 carries who produces 10 Td's, like "moneyball" and that insistence on outs being the most important thing, in the NFL nothing is more important then Td's and a sound 2 to 1 Td to int ratio.

MonstBlitz likes this.
  10. phinnhedd

phinnhedd Reality.

Oct 10, 2008
    Port Saint Lucie, FL
    Charlie Sheen says there's too many numbers in this thread.

11. MonstBlitz

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    I crunched the numbers on it, and for 2010 it's second only to Points / Points allowed ratio at 0.781. You mentioned it predicting championships -

Guess which team had the highest positive differential? Packers.
    And the worst? You guessed it - Panthers.

CWBIII, MrClean, Steve-Mo and 2 others like this.
  12. MonstBlitz

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    As simple as some of this stuff is and as much as it seems like common sense, I'm worried if our front office and Tony Sparano are aware of some of it. When Tony chooses to compare Henne's numbers to other QBs numbers but not his TD/INT ratio and when Jeff Ireland refuses to invest more resources into the QB position it makes you wonder.

13. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    I think quite simply, Sparano believes Henne can be coached up to increase TD production and reduce Int's, and Brian Daboll is the man to do exactly that with him.

14. Fineas

Fineas Club Member Luxury Box

Jan 5, 2008
    I think the Dolphins' goal should be to score as many points as possible and try to keep the opponent's scoring as low as possible. It might also be a good idea to try to force a lot of turnovers and avoid turning the ball over ourselves.

baboo72, MrClean, Larryfinfan and 3 others like this.
  15. GISH

GISH ~mUST wARN oTHERS~

Nov 23, 2007
    Over Yonder
    The team with the most points wins 100% of the time.

16. GMJohnson

GMJohnson New Member

Jan 27, 2010

The team with the least amount of points loses 100% of the time.

GreysonWinfield and Larryfinfan like this.
  17. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    Yeah and honestly I toss out the Points/Points indicator...I mean that's a very backward-looking predictor. Just not very relevant to me.

18. Fineas

Jan 5, 2008
    The truth is that interception and TD numbers often vary widely for individual QBs from year to year. For interceptions, a lot of that has to do with chance, such as dropped INTs, but a lot has to do with pass protection, etc. So for interceptions you see changes in interception percentage from year to year like the following:

Brett Favre

2010 - 5.3%
    2009 - 1.3%
    2008 - 4.2%

Drew Brees

2010 - 3.3%
    2009 - 2.1%
    2008 - 2.7%

Tom Brady

2010 - 0.8%
    2009 - 2.3%
    2007 - 1.4%

Chad Pennington

2009 - 2.7%
    2008 - 1.5%
    2007 - 3.5%

Those are some pretty big swings from year to year for some pretty good QBs. In some cases that rate is changing 200+% from one year to the next.

TD passes are similarly variable, as they are so dependent on how the rest of the offense is doing, as well as field position, turnovers forced, etc. Guys like Brady and Manning have had years with 49 or 50 TDs that were preceded or followed by years of less than 30.

Henne had an unusual amount of bad luck in terms of having so few potential interceptions dropped. Through Week 14 last year Henne's Adjusted INT rate as calculated by Football Outsiders (taking into account dropped interceptions and hail mary interceptions, etc.) was 3.3%, which was better than Drew Brees, Peyton Manning, Carson Palmer, Jay Cutler, David Garrard and Tony Romo up to that point in the season. At the same time, his TD numbers were held down by the FG favoring play calling of Dan Henning, a general lack of red zone pass attempts, and a major lack of big play TDs from his receivers. I think the staff believes those factors can be corrected for.

MrClean and DevilFin13 like this.
  19. DevilFin13

DevilFin13 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    I bet stuff like Net Yards Per Attempt and Adjusted NYPA correlate pretty well with winning. They are kind of kitchen sink stats, everything from ypa, tds, ints, sacks. Also ANYPA differential is probably close to 1.

20. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Variance doesn't matter, ratio and production does Fineas, but one does not preclude the other, for example Eli Manning rarely hits 2 to 1, he does however always throw for 20 Td's and the Giants have not had a losing season with him at Qb.

21. Fineas

Jan 5, 2008
    That degree of variance suggests that those stats have an awful lot to do with external factors and not just the player himself. You don't see 100%, 200% or even 50% or 25% variances from one year to the next for stats that are largely within the control of the player over a large number of events, like FT% in basketball or a baseball players batting average, etc. And the variance from year to year also suggests that it is unwise to assume that his INT% this year will be similar to what it was last year. It could easily improve by 100-300% from one year to the next, as it did for guys like Brady, Favre and Pennington.

Eli Manning always hits 20 TDs and stays above .500 because he plays for a team that has pretty much always had a Top 6-7 running game (lots of red zone opportunities and 3rd and shorts) and a pretty solid (and sometimes great) defense. When the runnign game has not been Top 7 (but have still been middle-of-the-pack), Manning's teams have been 8-8. Not much better than Henne the last 2 years.

22. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Underlying that is they do not drop below 2 to 1 Td to Int ratio, did not use the word "never".

However, it does appear 20 Td's does mean...a winning season, unless some other part of the team is atrocious, such as the Broncos D last yr, or the Chargers ST.

23. Jaj

Jaj Registered

Mar 23, 2008
    Los Angeles
    This team with a good quarterback could be frightening is basically what the lesson is here (and a settled offensive line). Absolutely frightening. How do we got about getting one?

24. MonstBlitz

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    The Chargers were an outlier in just about everything. Great point ratio, passer rating differential, TD/INT, etc. Goes to show how important special teams is and how bad theirs was. Having Norv as head coach probably doesn't help either.

25. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Well, the "real" problem is, the relationships between winning and your factors at times are overwhelmed by other factors, for example your study did show a relationship between winning and what you looked at, however that is sort of a general rule of thumb, same with my own personal "rules for Qb success".

For example Kyle Orton ticked the boxes, but still the Broncos finished what..3-13?

This is a phenomenon that we have been going through, Units do not remain static overall, for example in 09 we ran the ball well, in 10, that went away, in 09 our D was bad, in 10 it was solid, things do very and all that can be given is general rules.

26. MonstBlitz

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    I crunched the other variable CK mentioned which was pass yards / play differential.

Quite a bit lower than pass rating differential at 0.648 but still higher than most others besides points differential.

But if we're talking about gambling and predicting the results of an individual match up between 2 teams, I'd have to say, I might have to lay some money using pass rating and pass yards / play differential this year.

27. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

Great work, MB. Thanks.

Speaking of special teams, though, what's the correlation data on Special Teams stats and wins?

28. Bpk

You may wanna wait til at least mid-season so the data is significant enough first.

I mean, a lot of this analysis makes sense because you have data from the complete season. But you'd only have that level of data by week 17.

MonstBlitz likes this.
  29. MonstBlitz

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    Got a specific piece of it you want me to look at? I could probably look at some kind of average kick return differential. I did Field Goals made special for coach Fist Pump and it was 0.236 I think. So positive, but not a very strong relationship at all.

Bpk likes this.
  30. Jakerbeef

Jakerbeef New Member

Dec 13, 2009

These two stats might explain our success under Pennington. His "noodle arm" was less of a hindrance than his ability to protect possession was a bonus.

Bpk, MonstBlitz and arsenal like this.
  31. MonstBlitz

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    Here's some stats on special teams -

[TABLE]
    [TR]
    [TD]AVG. Kick return yards diff to WP[/TD]
    [TD="class: xl63, width: 46, align: right"]0.272[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]AVG. punt return yards diff to WP[/TD]
    [TD="class: xl63, align: right"]-0.049[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]KR TD Diff to WP[/TD]
    [TD="class: xl63, align: right"]0.175[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]PR TD DIFF to WP[/TD]
    [TD="class: xl63, align: right"]0.113[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]

Which is almost none. Punt return yardage being basically so close to 0 demonstrates no relationship. I'm betting fair catches and how few really gifted punt returners there are in the league explain this.

I would expect this category to continue to not correlate much with winning at all with the new kick return rule this year.

Still, that doesn't mean special teams doesn't have a profound affect on a team's wins and losses if they're especially good or especially bad on special teams. It's just that all the other teams are so even in these categories that the correlation doesn't come through.

32. MarinePhinFan

MarinePhinFan Banned

Oct 11, 2010
    So if in 2009 Henne and Ryan both had a 6.5 Y/A and in 2010 Henne had a 6.7 compared to Ryan's 6.5 would that mean their respective defense had more to do with the teams win/loss records?

:shifty:

33. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    I think you'll find that the spreads are already set up with that in mind...but if you find a spread that is out of whack with it, and you don't see some other huge looming factor that explains that, then absolutely.

Another good one is betting against a team to cover the week after they win a game without running the ball 25+ times. That's like a 55-60 percent win, something like that, which is about as high a trend as you'll find in betting spreads.

MonstBlitz likes this.
  34. BigDogsHunt

BigDogsHunt Enough talk...prove it!

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    Just One Thing
    [​IMG]

Score One more Point....thats It!

35. MonstBlitz

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    I should point out, I (accidentally) used net yards / passing play (factors in sacks) in my analysis. In that regards, the Falcons and Dolphins were dead even in 2010 on both offense and defense. To explain the difference, you need only look as far as the TD/INT ratio of the two players.

Also, pro football has a neat stat called adjusted yards / pass play which factors both sacks and interceptions. Using those numbers -

Miami: 4.9 - 6.1 = -1.2
    Falcons: 6.2 - 5.2 = + 1

36. MonstBlitz

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    When using adjusted yards per pass play, which again factors sacks and interceptions the correlation jumps to 0.739.

37. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    Oh I should have made that more clear. Yeah, that would be NET yards per pass play differential...offense minus defense. That accounts for sacks. What do you mean by adjusting for interceptions? Anyway I think some like that net yards per pass play differential even more than passer rating differential. It's a little more pure.

Where you can probably make some money is if you have a good enough football sense that you can look at situations and predict the predictor. The lines are going to be bouncing around the whole beginning of the year trying to figure what everything looks like this year, until things settle in and everyone starts to have a grip on which teams are averaging high net yards per pass play on offense, which teams are really stingy on pass plays on defense, etc. But if you've got enough football sense to look at a team, look at their system, look at what they did last year and see what changes they've made...and predict the predictor...you could probably make some money that way.

The master of all this is Awsi Dooger, from Finheaven. He's been a professional gambler for decades.

MonstBlitz likes this.
  38. Bpk

Maybe just STs TDs, and ST's yardage differential (punts AND kick return, for and against. Not sure how blocked FG's would figure into that).

39. MonstBlitz

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    The stats I used were all differentials between offense and defense, but I thought I was using just avg. yards / pass when in reality I was using the net (which factors sacks).

To see the exact formula for adjusted yards/pass play go to profootballreference.com and hover over the column in passing stats. I tried to copy it, but it goes away as soon as I take the cursor off it.

Damn it must be great being a professional gambler. But I'm betting retirement could be tricky...

40. MonstBlitz

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    Post #31 :up: