1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What bothers me about Tiger Woods

Discussion in 'Religion and Spirituality' started by padre31, Dec 17, 2009.

1. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Isn't the affairs, imho that is strictly none of my, or anyone else's business that is between Woods and his Wife.

What bothers me is the attempt to make their divorce a fait accompli, especially in the sports media world, "it is the best thing for both of them, Tiger can move on with his career.."

Call me cynical, however sports media types commenting that there should be a divorce when they have a clear and vested interest in not only keeping the story alive, replete with lurid details, but in also seeing Woods back out on the golf course and on revenue producing TV coverage.

Perhaps I'm old fashioned, or to principled, but a marriage should be viewed as something private and not the sort of thing that should be drug into the world and poked and prodded and commented upon.

I've read and heard that there will be a divorce, and that is a pity, one cannot help but wonder if that would have happened if it weren't for the effort to place the public's nose into that partnership's private relationship.

2. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    If there can be marraige announcements in the newspaper and such, why can't there be divorce ones?

By that I mean do you have a problem with people announcing their engagements and weddings in the newspaper? After all, that is anything but private as well.

Marriages and divorces are a matter of public record for that matter.

dolphan117 likes this.
  3. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Prior to the divorce? If there was going to be a divorce?

4. Stitches

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    Ok, so I still ask, do you have a problem with engagement announcements in the newspaper? Should than not be private prior to the marraige becoming public record then?

Aside from that, we are discussing the divorce right now, or at least the subject, and this is also an open forum, not a private one. You yourself are bringing attention to something that you claim to think should be private.

5. Ohiophinphan

Ohiophinphan Chaplain Staff Member Luxury Box

I have been keeping the situation in my prayers.

Prayers for Erin and the kids. Tiger speaks so eloquently about his parents growing up and now it is unlikely he will be as close as his Dad was.

For the other women, who traded their self rescpect and in some cases their marriages for short term fame/gratification.

And for Tiger who has sold his birthright for a bowl of porridge.

May all of them find repentence, peace, and a better, new life!

gafinfan and azfinfanmang like this.
  6. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    1. That is up to the couple whether or not they wish to announce an engagement.

2. What do you mean by "public record"?

Simply because I've yet to hear, read or see anyone who thought what happens in a marriage is a private matter, quite the opposite, their private decisions are now analyized and discussed as easily as if the weather was being discussed.

7. Stitches

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    I mean a marraige is a matter of public record. Just like a divorce is.

8. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Certainly (though the reasons why they are public documents are dubious at best) however the actual mechanics of the marriage, are most certainly not.

That Institution should be treated with more cicrumspection than to merely treat it as just more grist for the mill.

9. BigDogsHunt

BigDogsHunt Enough talk...prove it!

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    Keep in mind, Tiger's father married and had 3 kids with his first wife then divorced her. He then married Tiger's Mom - had Tiger - but then divorced her too.

So, while I think Earl may have knocked some sense into Tiger had he been alive for this garbage, he wasnt a perfect role model on the Marriage front (no clue if he cheated on any of his wives prior to divorce).

10. Stitches

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    Maybe when the divorce rate drops down to 25% or less it will.

11. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Odd, when there are more divorces, why would one be more newsworthy?

Perhaps if marriages weren't treated as a disposible arrangement there would be less divorces?

12. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    IMO it's irresponsible to comment on situations you have little or no knowledge of. This applies to the media or individuals.

In this case none of us (including the media) know enough about their marriage to say what they should do. All we know is that their have been affairs. I have no problem with reporting her alleged decision to get divorced. But I don't agree with saying it is or isn't for the best.

13. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    Eh, it's bad that this is where we've gotten and how bad the marriage rate is.

But, I think you also have to call a lemon a lemon and ending it quickly can be better for both people.

Would you really have any respect for his soon to be ex-wife if she stayed with him after that embaressment?

14. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Well slick, it would not matter what "you" or "I" or anyone else thought it is none of our business in the first place.

15. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    Absolutely. But the people you can blame for that is the people that feed the media and papparazzi business. If nobody cared about it, people wouldn't make money off reporting it.

But you have to admit that the way in which Tiger did this was incredibly stupid as far as not keeping it quiet.

16. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    As a matter of principle I cannot really comment on the state someone else's marriage.

Suffice to say, I hope they can work it out and not toss it away like a 99 cent cheeseburger wrapper as more litter on the highway of a insane culture.

17. jetssuck

jetssuck I hear Mandich's voice...

Aug 4, 2009
    Perfectville
    When you run for President or make a billion dollars in product endorsement.....you and everything about you is fair game.

He knew this when he made those choices and she knew this when she married him.....

I feel for the children involved.......the adults, not so much.

18. Frumundah Finnatic

Frumundah Finnatic U Mad Miami?

Dec 2, 2007
    Miami FL
    She'll get $300 million.