1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What are you playing?

Discussion in 'Gaming Forum' started by Desides, Aug 19, 2013.

1. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    I haven't tried that.

They do talk to each other randomly like in Dragon Age.

I don't know what you mean by "More than that."

The game is trying to capture the look and feel of getting with your friends and playing D&D. So you can do a lot of things with anyone.

2. Unlucky 13

Unlucky 13 Team Raheem Club Member

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    Sorry I just meant can you begin a conversation that includes three or more specific party members?

3. Tone_E

Tone_E Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 8, 2007
    Your companions don't have conversations amongst themselves, nor can you initiate them. They do have quips to each other that are story related while traveling and what not. You can also choose to play the game as a companion, experiencing everything through their eyes, in lieu of creating your own character. This will surely develop dialogue between the two companions that otherwise wouldn't be possible with a custom character, I'd imagine.

Unlucky 13 likes this.
  4. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    I am playing a custom character. That is what the dev team recommended for the first playthrough.

Tone_E likes this.
  5. Tone_E

Dec 8, 2007
    I'll only play customs. Gotta be evil an Artemis Entrari descendent on my next run through after playing the good ranger half drow Drizzt descendent.

6. Tone_E

Dec 8, 2007
    Hah, I'm not the only one who saw parallels between BG3 and DA:O. Like the guy in the video, Origins still is one of my favorite games.

7. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    I have long been aware that I'm the rare person who loves DA but feels that they got far, far better as they progressed. I'm a bit of a pariah in some circles because of it. They're also a very PC-focused community, and I'm always a console gamer.

8. Tone_E

Dec 8, 2007
    It goes back to nostalgia for everyone, that first experience that affected you. For some, it is Modern Warfare 2 that is the golden age. For me, it is Battlefield 2 (I'm dating myself). The memories are great, but if we go back and replay them now, they'll probably disappoint to a degree because it'll never be as good as you remembered.

In this case it is DA:O for me, and DA:I for most others including yourself and Dupree I believe. Either way, we all have the same experiences, but with different games at different timelines.

There is no right and wrong IMO, and won't get into debates about this shhhh with random people on internet because really, their opinion doesn't matter to me, and more than that, they're entitle to it.

9. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    Well, for me its more that I'd spent decades playing JRPGs right up to the point that I played Origins, and while I liked the game, I thought that it was clunky and that the battle system sucked. At that point, I had no frame of reference that those things were what computer RPG gamers were used to and actually enjoyed. As the series progress from 2 to DAI, it moved in ways that were a lot more comfortable and enjoyable for me, and left the CRPG stuff that I didn't like behind in favor of a more console friendly game. I know that wasn't a happy choice for some.

At the end of the day, I just want what I like in the combat and mechanics, and that's more games like DAI. We've gotten so damn few in the last nine years, unfortunately. I'm just crossing my fingers that Dreadwolf doesn't deviate too much from that path. When I do eventually play BG3, its not going to be because I'm eager about the battle system, but more in spite of it, I think.

Tone_E likes this.
  10. Tone_E

Dec 8, 2007
    BG3 is my first ever turn based combat game, and I didn't play XCOM, Divinity Sin 1 or 2, and other because I never thought I'd enjoy it. Then I bought Darkest Dungeon on sale and it changed my perspective a bit on turn based games. I had exactly the same mentality as you going in, but I am enjoying combat a lot, amidst the all around great game surrounding it.

I've always been an FPS gamer mostly, except for the years I only played DOTA 2. I only played DA:O and DA:I. I didn't finish Inquisition, lost interest. So I don't have much experience with CRPGs at all.

Dol-Fan Dupree and Unlucky 13 like this.
  11. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    I started in turn based with Dragon Warrior in 1988. Its almost the only thing that I knew until the PS3 generation, when I moved into action RPGs as well.

Tone_E likes this.
  12. Two Tacos

Two Tacos Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 24, 2007
    I remember loving that game, but can only now remember that I liked the midi music, and how stoked I was when I found a metal slime.

Unlucky 13 likes this.
  13. Two Tacos

Two Tacos Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 24, 2007
    Original had one of my favorite battle cries of all time

"Go for the eyes boo, go for the eyes!"

I loved the idea of an eye chomping attack hamster.

14. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    It was the opening of a new world for me. Up until that point, almost all of the video games that I played were fast paced, frantic, and single-use. You got as far as you could, while it got harder and harder, and when you were out of lives it was over. Even as a kid, it was unsatisfying.

So when I discovered this game where I could roam around and fight monsters, earn XP to level up, earn gold to buy better stuff, and save my game as often as I wanted to keep going, it was magical, and really spoke to me as a person for what I enjoy and what I'm good at. And ever since then, at age 11, I've been mostly a RPG guy who takes a slow, careful, methodical approach to almost everything I do in gaming.

Two Tacos likes this.
  15. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    I am going to do the Dark Origin on my second play through. It is still custom but different.

Tone_E likes this.
  16. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    That was my first RPG as well.

17. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    My favorite thing from the original Baulder's Gate, I don't remember the town, but walking into a town with a market and hearing in the background, "If your parents don't buy you a pointy stick, they don't love you!"

Laughed very hard.

Two Tacos and Unlucky 13 like this.
  18. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    Well, after a lot of reading, I went ahead and got BG3. And holy cow, its one of the most difficult, confusing and obtuse games I've ever played. I just get absolutely slaughtered every single time I go into battle. I'm going to have to try to find a guide for complete idiots who have no clue as to what they're doing, and start over on easy mode.

EDIT: After starting completely over on easy, its survivable this way. Actually, easy feels like normal, but that's been the case with a lot of games over the last few years. The massive increase in HP allows me to stay alive long enough to endure battles at least. Some have still be razor close.

Outside of combat, it feels very much like a Bioware game, which is a good thing. Seems odd that in 2023, on the PS5, the protagonist is mostly silent though, even after picking a voice.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2023
    Dol-Fan Dupree likes this.
  19. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    The silent protagonist is my biggest surprise in the game. With all the money and time they spent, I thought they would add voice to the main character.

Welcome to the world of save scumming.

Unlucky 13 likes this.
  20. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    I'm usually someone who hates save scumming. Not as a moral choice against cheating or whatnot, but just because I don't want to do the same thing again and again to get the result I'm after. But twice just this morning, I found myself exploring an area, surprised by a fight that I did not seek out due to dice rolls, and getting slaughtered because of it. Its an experience that I'm very much not used to and I can't say I like it. Failing to open a locked door or chest, or not getting some other reward because of the dice is fine and adds a fun layer of randomness. But pissing off otherwise neutral characters because I get a 1 instead of the 5 I needed is another level. And I get a LOT of 1s, despite that allegedly being more favorable on easy too.

Beyond that, I find the camera to be extremely frustrating, because I can't use the R stick to look up, as you would in nearly any other game, even when going uphill. I feel half blind because of it. And I hate that I can't pick one quest as my current objective, and have the map points lead me there. I want to mute or quiet the other ones, and take it on in a specific order, and I read that its just not possible, even though its been standard in other games for 20 years.

I do like my second character a lot more than my first though. He, unintentionally, reminds me of Lee Pace as Thranduil in the Hobbit movies.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2023
  21. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    It took me forever to get used to the map. That is my biggest complaint of the game.

Once you get to level 4, it does get easier. It is based on D&D and IMO D&D sucks at the first three levels. Also it is important to have a fighter in your party. I was getting my *** handed to me consistently until I got the barbarian.

I will say this though, you can always leave and come back when you have better equipment and level up. Only time there is a ticking timebomb is when you start the timer. I tried to kill the some Goblins multiple times before I just gave up and went on the quest to find the barbarian, came back and won pretty easy.

Unlucky 13 likes this.
  22. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    I currently have three fighters and a wizard in my party. I gave up on the other two I have for now, even though I do really like Shadowheart's personality. she's next to useless in battle at the moment. I do wish that the game would stop defaulting my characters to bows, and I have to waste a turn converting to melee weapons. I can't figure out how to do that without completely unequiping the bow.

23. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    That shouldn't be the case. If you have a bow and sword equipped, you should be able to switch between the two.

24. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    I need to figure it out then. Its a very, very different system than what I've always been used to. The radial menus are a lot.

25. BicketyBam

BicketyBam No Fist Pumps Allowed

Sep 6, 2010
    New Milford, CT
    No one is playing Starfield??

26. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    If it's ever allowed to come to Playstation, I'll check it out.

27. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    I know that there aren't really levels attached to the quests in BG3 like most RPGs, but holy Hell, you'd think that if you were given a quest that was easily reachable almost as soon as the game starts, it wouldn't be one where your level 4 party would just get absolutely slaughtered before you can even react, on easy mode. Sheesh. This game is brutally unforgiving, no matter how careful and diplomatic you are.

28. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    Call me a professional save scummer now. I lost a major battle, almost immediately, three times. Then I read up to see if it was even possible to win, given the horrid consequences for losing. I'm extremely glad that I did, because although I don't want to spoil anything, having my playthrough absolutely destroyed before I'm even in the second act is far worse. I eventually got a little luckier and made it through.

29. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Spring, TX
    I am, just been away from home for the better part of two weeks, so only played a lot in the "early access" weekend.

30. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    I played about 90% of the way through Baldur's Gate, then decided to start over. The second time through, I had a far better understanding about how to play the game, and ended up gaining so much XP that I'd have probably ended the game around level 18 if it were possible.

That said, my ending to the game was crushingly sad and disappointing, despite being very careful and trying to maximize my relationships with everyone. Really ended my experience on a sour note after putting 160 hours into the game.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2023
    Tone_E and Dol-Fan Dupree like this.
  31. KeyFin

KeyFin Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2009
    I'm out of work and will be tight on money for the next month or so, but I'm looking for something to play on PC. RPG style, single player, steady character progressions, preferably open world. I've played the Assassin's Creed games and like those, may just start over in Vahalla since I never finished, but I'm not looking for something that massive. Any suggestions?

32. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    I'm a console gamer, so I'm not the best to ask regardless, but it's been a really weak year for single player RPGs.

I will say that Valhalla is one of the biggest, longest games I've ever played. I put more than 250 hours into my playthrough.

33. KeyFin

KeyFin Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2009
    I felt like I was almost at the end, but it's possible that I was only about 60% of the way through. It was a fantastic game though and the boss battles were amazing! Especially the optional side quest stuff where it turned out to be a hidden treasure.

34. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    Odyssey is one of my favorite games of all time, and I was honestly kind of let down by Valhalla. Its a much darker game and relentlessly harsh, and I was never a big fan of Eivor. The combat is also far less enjoyable, for me.

KeyFin likes this.
  35. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    On a note related to video games, after I'd become more and more frustrated with my TV, even though it was only four years old, I decided to do a lot of research and bought a new OLED one. And holy freaking crap, it blew me away. I was expected a better, brighter picture for both video games and sports, but I had no idea the depth of what I was missing out on with the PS5 on the other one.

Games that I thought were unreasonably dark are now beautiful, and I guess that the other TV just does an absolutely terrible job of handling anything to do with HDR. Everything now pops and is bright and beautiful in ways I've never seen before.

36. KeyFin

KeyFin Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2009
    I grabbed a 43" OLED on Black Friday last year for my office for less than $200- and I was shocked how amazing the graphics are! Way sharper than standard HD or UHD. Watching TNF now and it almost feels like I'm in the stadium.

Unlucky 13 likes this.
  37. KeyFin

KeyFin Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2009
    I liked Odyessy more as well, the ending just felt epic to me and it just kept on going. I kind of wish now that I had bought the expansion pack for it.

Unlucky 13 likes this.
  38. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    There are two pieces of DLC for Odyssey, and I do recommend them both.

The first one, The First Blade, is relatively short, but its well done and important as it connects the game to the greater AC storyline.

The other one, The Fate of Atlantis, is so massive that its almost a separate game to itself. It takes place in the AC Universe version of various parts of Greek mythology.

KeyFin likes this.
  39. Tone_E

Dec 8, 2007
    The Witcher 3?

KeyFin likes this.
  40. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    TW3 is a pretty massive game. Its about 150 hours with the DLC for me.

A shorter RPG that I've loved is Ghost of Tsushima, but its Playstation exclusive.

KeyFin likes this.