1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What are you playing?

Discussion in 'Gaming Forum' started by Desides, Aug 19, 2013.

1. Unlucky 13

Unlucky 13 Team Raheem Club Member

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    I got Aven Colony as a gift, so I've added that one to my que as well. I probably won't end up purchasing any more new games during the first half of this year at all.

2. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    Mutant Football League.

An upgrade of the old Mutant League Football of my youth. They just came out with a dynasty edition where you take a team with all ratings of 40 and try to build a good team out of it. It is pretty fun. Loving the stadiums and the old school gameplay. A lot like NFL Blitz if you played that game back in the day. Just with aliens, skeltons, monsters, orcs and robots. And you can kill the players.

Ever so much fun.

Unlucky 13 likes this.
  3. ToddPhin

ToddPhin Premium Member Luxury Box Club Member

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    No one playing Forza 4?

4. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    I might if I had an X Box. I watched my nephew play and it looks really good. I used to be into driving games, but there aren't any good ones on the PS4.

ToddPhin likes this.
  5. invid

invid Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Mostly Red Dead, Super Smash, with a little Moonlighter mixed in.

Moonlighter is a good start to a potentially awesome IP but it's only a solid 6.5/10 for me. They need to find a balance between more depth, but keeping the simplicity of this first entry.

New God of War and Spiderman on the docket afterwards.

6. PhinishLine

PhinishLine Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Maryland
    Ace Combat 7 and Red Dead until The Division 2 comes out.

7. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    84 hours into AC Odyssey. Its very excellent, and I'm enjoying nearly everything about it. However, one new addition to the series are tough boss battles, where the player is thrown into a confined space with an enemy much who's much stronger. Normally, my tactic is to keep my distance, attack with the bow, and hide while I heal, for as long as that takes, but now there are battles where that isn't an option. After spending first 45 minutes, then another half an hour failing last night, I'm getting close to temporarily knocking it down to easy mode and just getting through it.

8. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    There are rumors that the PS5 will not only be backwards compatible for the PS4, or even the PS3, but the PS2 and original PS also. I'm not going to get too excited until we have more to go on, but its extremely exciting, and would push up my purchase to Day One if true.

9. invid

Dec 9, 2012
    I'd love to revisit some games on the PS1 and PS2 (never finished the Breath of Fires past the 2nd one, and would love to actually finish Suikoden 3)!

10. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    I have a plethora of PS3 games still sitting in my cabinet, a handful of PS2, and FF8 on the PS1. :up:

11. Desides

Desides Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    Treat that rumor with EXTREME skepticism. If true, it would probably just consist of hardware PS4 compatibility with an expanded PS Store library of PS1 through PS3 games.

12. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    I suspect that you are correct. However, if there is true PS4 disc compatibility, I'll be very happy.

13. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    I completed AC Odessey this evening. 120 hours of play time. Fantastic game in so many ways. Deep story, maybe the biggest play world of any game I've ever seen, terrific graphics, wonderful character models that are very lifelike, and excellent gameplay and control.

My only real complaint is that the game perhaps gives the player too much freedom. There are three main questlines to complete, and the game doesn't do much in the way of suggesting the order that you should take them on. One is clearly optional however also clearly enticing if you want to dig into the deeper story. I did that one first, and now regret it, because I never really got an ending to the game. Apparently, there is supposed to be a point where the credits roll, like all other AC games, then it takes you back and you can continue playing if you wish.....but that never happened.

I did some research, and apparently its not just me. I found others who laid out doing the exact same things that I did and having the same problem. No real solution, unfortunately. And so while the gamer likely understands that they have done all that they really can with the storyline, it just kind of stops like any other quest and.....thats it. No epilogue, no closure, no conversations with the other surviving characters, no wrapup of your relationships, no anything. Pretty weak. Ubisoft needed to at least lend some kind of warning or guidance. Not as bad as ME3, but still left with a worse taste in my mouth than I should, after putting so much time into such an amazing experience.

14. invid

Dec 9, 2012
    I'm about halfway through Red Dead, and that includes hunting for all of the things for the camp/trapper and doing the ambient challenges. I'm doing the main story missions in the Louisiana/Florida map biomes and they are super cool.

Can't help but think there's some missed opportunities going on in the tertiary towns in the northern part of the map. I've done maybe one mission in the AWESOME town of Strawberry (think proto-Aspen), none in Annesburg, none in Van Horn Trading Post. These are always very awesome settings with their own backstories. Strawberry has a corrupt mayor, Van Horn is poor as all hell, and I don't know if the game is going to do anything with them, but we'll see. If Rockstar's intention was to use these areas for only online content, then that's a problem.

Unlucky 13 likes this.
  15. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    Yeah, I've personally given up on Rockstar due to their focus on online. They flat out lied about GTA.

16. invid

Dec 9, 2012
    I had a great experience with GTAV single-player and also enjoyed it online once all of the heists were released. I played them with my closest friends, it was a blast. They never came out with any more though. My belief is the money you got from completing them prevented people from engaging in microtransactions, so they didn't bother, which is ashame.

I never bought Red Dead for the multiplayer. It seems like progression is pretty ****ed from what I read.

17. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    I've got absolutely zero interest in multiplayer personally. I only want games for single player, offline story mode. So like I said, their games just aren't for me anymore.

texanphinatic likes this.
  18. invid

Dec 9, 2012
    Still a great single-player experience to be had in the newest Red Dead, between the random things you can find in the open world that I won't spoil, the litany of extras things you can pursue, the varied settings, and the stressful and foreboding tone of the main narrative, it's still a very good game.

It is, however, a slower affair. I have to mix some Rocket League every once in awhiIe.

19. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    The only two story-based game that I've just given up on, put down and never gone back to was the previous Read Dead. Its just not for me, I think.

20. invid

Dec 9, 2012
    Hey, that's fair! Conversely, I can't get into the Assassin's Creeds any more. I'll get one every other installment and then get bored with it after awhile. It's almost like people have different tastes!

Unlucky 13 likes this.
  21. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    I finished Uncharted: The Lost Legacy. Really solid, beautiful game that plays just like the others in the series. The change this time is that you play as Chloe Frasier, rather than Nathan Drake. She had been a supporting character in several of the previous entries.

Its a short game. I finished it in six days, at under 8 hours of game play. I would compare it to a really good DLC for Uncharted 4 rather than a full game itself, something along the lines of what The Witcher 3 had. Maybe 1/3 of the gameplay and length of the others in the series. I'm glad that I picked it up for $18 about a year and a half after it came out rather than full price. But still, really solid, and enjoyable game.

Chloe is voiced by the always wonderful Claudia Black, and the character's appearance is partly based on her own. However, I couldn't help keep being stuck by how extremely similar the character is in so many ways to Cate Blanchett's portrayal of Hela in Thor: Ragnarok. Its uncanny! But the people at Naughty Dog did a phenomenal job of creating a beautiful game and the characters are absolutely top notch in look and actions.

22. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    I have not, and will not, play Anthem. But if its the huge disaster that everyone says that it is, maybe this will allow Bioware to just go back to doing what they're really, really good at.

23. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    I'm playing Anthem and enjoy it. No disaster for me.

24. invid

Dec 9, 2012
    Devil May Cry 5, Sekiro, and Division 2 coming out this month.

Stitches likes this.
  25. invid

Dec 9, 2012
    So getting DMC5 tomorrow. One of my favorite series.

26. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    I tried an earlier version on the ps2, and it was just too fast paced and action filled for me to keep up. And that was early 20s me, not early 40s me! :shifty:

27. invid

Dec 9, 2012
    Haha! That's what so great about it.

28. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    My best friend at the time loved it, and I watched him play. But man, I just can't do it. Its like a pinball game, and you have to react so quickly. I just get overwhelmed.

29. invid

Dec 9, 2012
    Fought a lance-wielding mounted hell knight on a nightmare steed with a panther that transforms into weapons and a hawk that shoots lightning and lasers.

Suffice it to say, I'm enjoying the game.

Stitches likes this.
  30. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    I ended up downloading Gwent when I found that you don't need to be a PS+ member to play it, and I've been checking that out the last few days. My general experience is a very tight game that I end up losing, lol.

31. Stitches

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    The Division 2

32. Desides

Desides Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    The Halo MCC announcement for PC has me strongly tempted to start up a Youtube channel and play the hell out of that.

33. invid

Dec 9, 2012
    I've been playing with 3 of my buds. Appreciate all of the little secrets hidden through the map. The brokenness has been a little distracting however- the skill bug sucks and the scaling for 4 people is off. Weapons scale but armor really doesn't. It's like we're playing on very hard mode through the main missions, which leaves us hunkered down instead of a gratifying push-pull in encounters. Can't wait for the fixes, and I'm interested to see when and if fatigue sets in.

34. Stitches

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    Not just limited to 4 players. It's rough as hell when I play with just one friend who is higher level. I might as well be made of paper mache.

Still a lot of fun, but very much look forward to fixes.

invid likes this.
  35. AGuyNamedAlex

AGuyNamedAlex Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2015
    I've been in a indie/retro game binge lately.

I finished Rogue Legacy which is a really fun game. Basically you go into a castle and try to defeat all 5 bosses. Each time you "die" you come back to the castle as one of your "heirs". They keep the game fresh by making each "heir" different. Some are tiny, some are giants, some are color blind, it's just really well done trust me. Also you spend the gold you earn each run on upgrades.

Yesterday I beat the remake of "Wonder Boy: The Dragons Trap". Loyal to the original and just an awesome fun game. I never beat it as a kid so doing it now on hard mode was rewarding.

Now I'm currently playing a game called "Shovel Knight". It's a 2D modern day Mega Man with lots of other SNES influences that show through.

Unlucky 13 and Dol-Fan Dupree like this.
  36. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    At one point in my life, Mega Man games were a core part of my gaming experience. That ended about 25 years ago though. I might look deeper into Shovel Knight.

danmarino likes this.
  37. AGuyNamedAlex

Sep 12, 2015
    Its definitely a fun little game if you enjoyed that era of gaming. I'd definitely check out a few videos of the game or something on YouTube.

I personally like it because it's difficult but also forgiving. Nothing feels cheap or unfair in the game difficulty wise and there are checkpoints in the levels as well...but it's still challenging despite that.

Unlucky 13 likes this.
  38. invid

Dec 9, 2012
    Nice. I really want to play Owl Boy and Dead Cells. Both I will purchase for the Switch.

39. AGuyNamedAlex

Sep 12, 2015
    Dead Cells was one of the next ones on my list I want to try too actually.

invid likes this.
  40. AGuyNamedAlex

Sep 12, 2015
    Started replaying the Mega Man series on the Legacy Collection. Beat all the games ( 1 through 6) but the challenges they added are fairly hard and take a while to complete.

Here is actually a video of one of the challenges it took me forever to beat with the gold medal time.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2019