1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What are you playing?

Discussion in 'Gaming Forum' started by Desides, Aug 19, 2013.

1. KeyFin

KeyFin Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2009
    That's what I love about Fortnite as well. Some matches I'll find good weapons early and then just sprint towards the middle of the map and hide facing outwards....waiting for those not paying attention to blindly run right into my sights. Other times I go to the popular areas and run for my life with shooters all around me- I know I'll die fast but if you take a few out beforehand, then you still get satisfaction. So I completely agree with you- winning doesn't have to be coming in first place.

Anytime you outsmart someone and have fun it's a win to me.

MonstBlitz and eltos_lightfoot like this.
  2. invid

invid Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Started playing Origins again after a long hiatus. It's like doing chores, but I intend on finishing it. I love stealth games, it's just hacking away at alligators and hippos that gets annoying.

I also picked up Celeste on Switch. Pretty fun. Snappy. Gets difficult very quickly, but got better as I was playing it.

I'm going to need a new game pretty soon, something linear. I think I'll get the new Wolfenstein on the cheap.

Unlucky 13 likes this.
  3. Unlucky 13

Unlucky 13 Team Raheem Club Member

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    I'm all sports games this summer, with The Show right now, and then Madden when it comes out next month. My birthday is at the end of September, and I think I'll ask my wife to get me the new Dragon Quest game then, and roll with that through the Autumn.

4. invid

Dec 9, 2012
    I heard the Builders off-shoot is fun, but I can't ever entirely convince myself that I'd enjoy it.

5. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    I'm not really interested, but the full fledged RPG that's out in September looks good.

6. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    I keep waiting for Uncharted: Lost Legacy to drop in price. But I've never seen it drop below 30 bucks. Just can't stomach paying that much for what is essentially DLC. It'll eventually go to $19.99, I just have to wait them out!

7. BlameItOnTheHenne

BlameItOnTheHenne Taking a poop

Aug 15, 2010
    Davie

It's not DLC it's a standalone game. Also it's great.

8. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    Playing Shadow of Mordor and Pathfinder Adventures (both PC).

Zeke0123 likes this.
  9. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    I finally got a new computer, so I am finally playing Tyranny. I am loving this game. I know it is too short, however, it is perfect to pick up for under $30 at a Steam Sale for all of its expansions.

10. Stitches

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    Pathfinder Adventures! It's the digital implementation of the Rise of the Runelords campaign from the Pathfinder Adventure Card Game. It's a lot of fun; part puzzle, part deck builder, part RPG. You can sync up the game between your phone and Steam as well.

11. Deus ex dolphin

Deus ex dolphin Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Unlucky 13 likes this.
  12. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    Pretty cool. I might finally jump in.

13. Silverphin

Silverphin Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE. I'm digging the game so far.

14. Desides

Desides Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    On one hand, it's nice that they're fixing and updating games years after launch. on the other hand, it emboldens publishers to release ****ty quality games because they can fix it later.

15. Deus ex dolphin

Dec 2, 2007
    I'd argue that that is nearly the standard for many games now. Release on time, no matter the quality, and patch it up later. Which means what for us gamers? Hold off on that DAY ONE purchase. Wait on the reviews and forum feedback to decide if you need to wait for a patch or two.

I liked NMS from day one, but I wasn't all that interested in multiplayer nor did I want much more than to be able to fly around and explore random planets. Each update added depth to the game though, and I've enjoyed going back to play each time.

After spending some time with the NEXT update, I'd say we are really playing NMS 2.0 just two years after the game released. Props to Hello Games for staying with it and finally delivering the game that was promised AND FOR NO EXTRA COST. Every update has been free.

Plenty of developers have created bad games and then disappeared. Props to Hello Games for sticking it out.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2018
    eltos_lightfoot and Unlucky 13 like this.
  16. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    It's the standard for Western AAA games, yes. But I didn't encounter this "feels like early access at retail release" issue in NieR: Automata, or Breath of the Wild, or Final Fantasy XV (PS4 and PC), or Super Mario Odyssey, or Dragon Quest Heroes II, or Secret of Mana, or Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age, or Radiant Historia: Perfect Chronology... etc, etc.

Let's be quite clear. It's the top three or four Western publishers doing this ****, with Sony and Microsoft allowing and enabling them. The average gamer supports it, because Call of Annual Shareholder Meeting and Battlethefans and Maddening and BanalAffront are still making money despite obvious failure to iterate quality and value.

When BanalAffront triggered a lootbox crisis, my forehead met my desk. The problem wasn't lootboxes, the problem was the mentality that the money you pay to buy a game at retail is a price of entry, not a total cost of ownership.

MonstBlitz likes this.
  17. BlameItOnTheHenne

Aug 15, 2010
    Davie
    Gears of War 4. I never got into the MP of the series, but always enjoyed the campaigns. I like this one, but I do not like how they threw in horde missions into the campaign. It throws off the pacing and there's already a horde mode.

18. Deus ex dolphin

Dec 2, 2007
    'Games As A Service' is a danger to the idea that you can 'buy and own' a game.

There are the rumors that Google is looking to enter the videogame market with a streaming box, and that a streaming machine will be an optional console for the next Xbox also. Unless we all suddenly get fiber broadband? I don't see how they can make it work for the real twitchy games (fighters and others that demand split-second reactions) AND as far as graphics go -they will be shooting for 720p? Maybe 1080p? Plus if your internet goes down? Or you miss a payment on your streaming service? No games for you!

If I thought they'd actually LOWER the prices of games when they go full digital and cut out the middleman (Gamestop/Walmart/Amazon) that could be a positive, but does anyone think they won't just charge full price and pocket the extra money?

Unlucky 13 likes this.
  19. Deus ex dolphin

Dec 2, 2007
    I picked up Maximum Football 2018 yesterday. Digital download, priced at $17. I was expecting something pretty basic (like the old football games on the original Playstation or maybe Dreamcast level).

It is a 'work in progress' type of game, and made me appreciate how much goes into making a well playing football game with good presentation. It does have rules for Canadian/College/Pro football so you can switch between those game modes.

There is an update coming that will add a Logo Editor to the game, but you can modify the uniforms and some player details right now. Not an NFL licensed game of course (not even a CFL license) and you actually have a 16 team American Pro football league, with a Season mode, playoffs and Championship game.

The developer seems responsive to feedback, which is nice. Given a couple more years, and several more features added, this could become a real option for videogame football. There is another indie football game out early September called Axis Football 2018 which I also plan to purchase. These games have been PC only and finally have Xbox One and PS4 versions this year (I game on a regular PS4).

If you are perfectly happy with Madden, then you don't need these games -but even if you want something different to play you are getting games that are closer to 'early access' than a polished product.

Unlucky 13 likes this.
  20. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    I'm interested in how those other football games do, but won't be buying them. Maybe someday, someone will make one that has a robust enough system that people can engineer a college football replacement out of it. For now, after taking last year off, I'm getting Madden when it comes out next week.

21. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    Not really. FF15 is a GaaS, and no one disputes ownership of that. The issue is when the game is offered on a subscription model, similar to an MMO, that the "you're just renting it for a month until you renew" idea comes into play.

Unlucky 13 likes this.
  22. Deus ex dolphin

Dec 2, 2007
    It also involves Microtransactions. If a game essentially lets you pay-to-win by upgrading things like weapons and armor? I may own the copy of the game, but my experience is going to be negatively impacted by that push to squeeze every possible dollar AFTER the initial purchase. This is a subject for a separate thread though, so to get back on track here....

There is a wave of gaming goodness between now and the the end of the year for me. Shenmue I & II Remastered, Spider-Man, Red Dead Redemption 2, Assassin's Creed Odyssey (the Ancient Greek setting makes this the first AC game I will buy at full price instead of waiting a year or so), Life is Strange 2, Axis Football 2018, and a handful of other games I'm hoping to get on sale during the holiday sales.

23. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    Picked up Madden Saturday. Underwhelmed so far. The graphics are a step down from 2016, and the gameplay feels really loose so far.

24. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    Picked up Madden Saturday. Underwhelmed so far. The graphics are a step down from 2016, and the gameplay feels really loose so far.

25. invid

Dec 9, 2012
    My friend loaned me his copy. I just have no desire to buy these games, the whole EA-NFL thing is bad for sports game fans. Every year it's a new coat of polish on the same ol' turd.

Zeke0123 likes this.
  26. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    I took last year off, and likely won't buy it next season. I feel better about the game play after 10 games, but there are still significant issues.

27. MonstBlitz

MonstBlitz Nobody's Fart Catcher

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    Zeke0123 likes this.
  28. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    After two seasons in Madden, I've adjusted the sliders quite a bit and I'm enjoying it. I like what I've read about the first update, so I'm looking forward to downloading it when I'm able.

29. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL

Soon(TM)

Unlucky 13 likes this.
  30. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    As I read reviews this week, I moved from "yes, I'm going to buy this game " to "holy cow, I cant wait to get this game!"

Desides likes this.
  31. Spencer_Kaplan

Spencer_Kaplan New Member

Aug 30, 2018
    Now I'm playing Dragon Ball Z Sagas game

32. texanphinatic

texanphinatic Senior Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    Currently playing the new WoW expansion Battle for Azeroth. Pretty solid, it's WoW. You either like it or don't.

Anyone do No Man's Sky on the XBone? Been considering it, but dang it's annoying that it's like $40-50 on that platform and like half that on the others. Will probably wait till the holidays and see if there is a sale.

33. JDelenne

JDelenne Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Mar 12, 2009
    Orlando, FL
    I just got into the BFA expansion. I stopped playing after burning crusade but im having a lot of fun so far with this xpac.

texanphinatic likes this.
  34. BlameItOnTheHenne

Aug 15, 2010
    Davie
    Rocket League pretty much daily until tomorrow when Dragon Quest XI is out.

35. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    I'm going through and fixing most of the player contracts in madden, in order to try and get the most realistic NFL gm sim I can.

Desides likes this.
  36. Stitches

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    Playing Madden, specifically Ultimate Team. Will be playing Destiny 2 daily(ish) starting today as well with Forsaken dropping.

37. Not So Fast

Not So Fast Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2012
    Lake Worth, FL
    Played the new Spider-Man for more than 3 hours today. The swinging and the combat are fast and fluid. The voice acting is superb. Would definitely recommend picking it up.

38. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    I'm about 4 hours in to DQ11. Really, really, really damn good game so far, and the training wheels are still obviously on.

Unlucky 13 likes this.
  39. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    Well, my time was partly wasted in madden. Turns out, you can adjust the player contracts all you like, but the CPU will pay no attention to years that you add onto deals, and resign those players to their own (generally smaller) deals anyways. They also apparently aren't effected if you put them over the cap. Bogus.

40. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    I'm hoping I get it for my birthday in two weeks. Buying it if not, lol.