1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What are you playing?

Discussion in 'Gaming Forum' started by Desides, Aug 19, 2013.

1. Unlucky 13

Unlucky 13 Team Raheem Club Member

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    I'm the same. My girls (age 6 and 3) love having me create new players. The creator is actually pretty deep. I'm close to being totally done with the game though. Surprisingly little depth.

After buying my new laptop, Im back into Civ 6. I actually may not game all that much on my PS4 the next month or so before getting a few new games.

2. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    https://www.pcworld.com/article/3238865/gaming/civilization-vi-rise-and-fall-expansion.html

There is a new expansion announced today.

Stitches and Unlucky 13 like this.
  3. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    Dol-Fan Dupree likes this.
  4. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    Definitely in for the Civ expansion eventually.

Started playing Horizon Zero Dawn this past weekend. One of like eleven console games I bought as part of black Friday sales.

5. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    HZD is well worth it. Wonderful game in all ways. I would advise playing it "blind" as much as you can to get full enjoyment.

6. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    Right now I am playing Shadow of War. Black Friday at Gamespot was $25. Great deal.

I have no idea how people play this game if they haven't played the first. I played the first and I felt pretty lost. I think the beginning of the first game is much better.

7. #1 fan

#1 fan Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2007
    miami
    Killer Instinct for Steam. Reviews were strong and the game has a surprisingly solid single player.

8. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    I was really into Killer Instinct on the SNES around 1995-96. Loved playing as the Velociraptor.

9. #1 fan

#1 fan Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2007
    miami
    He's still in the game. I was always the robot (Fulgore). The game is free in the Windows store. The Steam version has all the characters unlocked though (which is why I bought it).

10. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    I bought a newer Street Fighter a few years back, and I actually surprised myself how quickly I completely lost interest in it. Just not my thing any more. Too much time away and too old.

11. invid

invid Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Played the Monster Hunter World Beta over the weekend with 3 friends. Good fun, the game is going to be awesome.

Stitches likes this.
  12. Stitches

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    Playing Persona 5. Should have it beat by the end of next week (at the latest I would imagine).

13. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    Stitches, can you answer a few questions for me about that game? I've read up on it, it gets great reviews, but I can't get a hold on what it really is.

>Are there any games on Sony systems that you would compare it to? (beyond the others in the series) Its called a RPG, but then people say that its nothing like this or that game when they talk about it.

>What is the interface like? 3rd person, 1st person, point and click, ect. Many screenshots make it look more like a visual novel than a PS4 game.

>Are all/most of the scenes in the game the mixture of black and neon colors I've seen screen shots of, or does it ever "chill out" with a more traditional look and feel? Is all of the dialogue in those bright boxes as well? Old school Batman style (BAM POW in your face)?

>Any other insights that you can give for someone wholly unfamiliar with the series?

14. Stitches

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    This is the 1st Persona I have actually played beyond the intro of Persona 4 (though I own all of them, or did). There isn't really anything I can point to like It, though I would guess something exists. That isn't to say it is wholly unique as there are aspects that appear in plenty of games (social management, dungeon crawling, summon/monster taming/management).

There are certainly aspects that play like a visual novel, but it is a 3rd person rpg.

I would say most of the game is normal. The "cognitive world" has a slightly different art style (color wise), but I don't consider it weird, out of place, or anything like that. The old school Batman stuff (as i perceive it at least) only happens during the all-out-attacks that lead to all enemies being killed.

It is a lot like a slice of life anime with shonen rounding out the story? Maybe try and watch the Persona 4 anime if you can (even just an episode or two), as I imagine if you like that then the game would be appealing to you.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2017
    Unlucky 13 likes this.
  15. Fin-O

Fin-O Initiated Club Member

Sep 28, 2015
    PS4 Call of Duty: WWII

Bought it late November....have already logged over 78 total hours of my life on that SOB.

Game is a gift and a curse, so much better things I could be dong with my time, but it is pretty damn awesome.

16. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    OK, thanks man. I'll have several other games on my plate soon, but I may check it out eventually when the price drops.

17. ChrisKo

ChrisKo Season Ticket Holder

Nov 28, 2007
    Desert
    Currently playing through Battle Chasers: Nightwar. It's not a bad rpg, but gets a bit repetitive after a while. I'm a huge JoeMad fan though and bought it for the artwork mostly. I own all the original Battle Chasers comics, so I had to get it.

18. Stitches

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    Started Nioh (and technically a new game plus of Persona 5). I cannot beat the 1st boss yet. I can run through the whole level but the boss manages to get me every time I try.

19. Deerless Dice

Deerless Dice Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Been playing Destiny 2. It's pretty lackluster to say the least. The gunplay is fun but too much of the game is just meh. The loot is meh, the dungeons are meh, the grind is boring. There is a good game here somewhere, too bad it's only going to appear once they add more DLC and expansions

20. Deus ex dolphin

Deus ex dolphin Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2007
    There was 'Unification Day' in No Man's Sky on December 30th, and the ARG (alternate reality game) has started up again so the next big update is expected soon. This has got me back into playing NMS, at least to find a good system to set up a new base in the second Galaxy and to find the rest of the portal glyphs (so I can can travel to any planet as long as I have the code).

Since I got PSVR, and there have been game sales for the last month, I have played a lot of shorter VR games. I mean games you can beat in a couple hours if you want. I've gotten my adult niece to try the Ocean Descent experience ("the shark demo") and the shark freaked her out. Same result when I got my sister-in-law to try it a day later. I never get tired of watching people try PSVR for the first time, as you just have to experience it yourself, no verbal description will really prepare you.

21. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    I'm back into the Skyrim remaster on the PS4, and just completed the Dragonborn DLC for the first time. I have to say that I'm impressed. Not quite on the scale or quality of The Witcher, but some of the deeper bonus content that I've played in a game. Tons to see and do, adding many hours of gameplay. Also, after completing it, I was also able to smith things one level further, even though I was at 100 before and after. Coincidence?

I haven't started Dawnguard at all, but I need to, because the Vampires have been killing civilians, including two town blacksmiths, limiting my choices to sell things. I'll eventually jump back into the questline, someday, lol. I haven't visited the Thalmor Embassy outside of Solitude yet, and I'm level 54.

22. Deerless Dice

Oct 30, 2013
    Last weekend I was hooked on Slay the Spire. It is a dungeon crawling deck building game, a "roguelike", so you get 1 life per run to beat the Spire, which is 3 levels and 3 bosses. You pick a character (currently there are 2) and choose a route to climb, encountering basic fights, campfires, merchants, special events, and elite monsters. As you progress you find cards to build your deck. it's random what you get. You'll also find relics that will give you permanent boosts. Combat starts with 2 card piles. The draw pile and the discard pile. You draw 5 cards per turn and when you use them, they go into the discard pile. Any unused cards go into the discard pile at the end of the turn. When your draw pile is empty, you shuffle your discard pile and keep going. You start with 3 energy and each card has a cost to it, so there is a level of strategy involved where you need to plan your offense and your defense. Enemies show their intent, which can be anywhere from attack to defend to buff to debuff to any combination of the two. Sometimes you will need to defend a big attack and you won't have any block cards to do.

Early access game but i'm getting my monies worth so far.

23. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    Fortnite and WW2

And of course still Rocketleague

24. invid

Dec 9, 2012
    Worked some extended shifts this week so I could have off today. After all, Monster Hunter World came out today.

Stitches likes this.
  25. Stitches

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    I bought it yesterday, going to play here in a few.

26. invid

Dec 9, 2012
    Have you played the series before?

27. Stitches

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    Just 4 a little bit on the 3ds.

28. Deerless Dice

Oct 30, 2013
    MHW is pretty great so far. I don't see killing fire breathing T-Rex's getting old anytime soon.

Stitches likes this.
  29. nguyenhung

nguyenhung New Member

Feb 1, 2018
    thanks you for share

30. Ohio Fanatic

Ohio Fanatic Twuaddle or bust Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    Been playing Fallout 4 on Vive since December. Have to say, one of the best gaming experiences I've ever had. It still has some glitches that come with a VR setup, but being immersed in that world is crazy awesome, 10x better than on the PS4. I'm up to 120 hours of play so far. actually a little stressed that I'm going to run out of things to do

Stitches likes this.
  31. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    I have been playing an early access game called "Slay the Spire" It is a deck building, roguelike, dungeon crawler. I find it pretty fun.

Deerless Dice likes this.
  32. Desides

Desides Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    I'll be playing Secret of Mana as soon as I get home tonight.

Unlucky 13 likes this.
  33. BlameItOnTheHenne

BlameItOnTheHenne Taking a poop

Aug 15, 2010
    Davie
    Just started Persona 5. We'll see how it goes.

Also been playing NG+ in Bloodborne every now and then.

Unlucky 13 likes this.
  34. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    Seeing as that it will likely be close to impossible to buy a physical copy later on, it may end up being the first digital game I buy later this year when I have the chance. Well, at least the first one that isn't a text based sports sim - I bought a few of those about 15 years ago.

35. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    Steam makes it so easy to go fully digital. There's very little reason not to these days, IMO. But we've had this discussion before.

So, SoM has some issues, namely a lot of stutter and it feels like there's input lag. Maybe it just doesn't like my G-Sync or refresh rate.

36. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    I gave Steam a try. Bought a new laptop and installed Civ 6 digitally on it while visiting family who had good broadband. Worked ok for a while. But then I made the mistake of buying a $5 expansion to see how it would work out. I couldn't figure out how to install it - it wasn't clear or intuitive at all. Ended up accidently getting myself locked out of my account for a few weeks while they gave me the run around, and when I finally got that resolved, I wasn't able to open the game to play it any more. I'm done. PS4 only from here on out. What I've spent on the PC game is just a sunk cost.

37. Stitches

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    :confused1: Not sure if serious.

If you bought on steam, it installs automatically if the base game is already installed. It can't be more clear than that IMO.

If you bought elsewhere, you go to Games -> Activate a Product on Steam (then enter the code and run through like all of 3 steps). Maybe it isn't the most straight forward, but a quick google would net that answer.

38. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    Sorry man. I couldn't figure it out at all. It was DLC , not a game. It didn't show up in the game the next time i played, even though it charged me for it and said I was downloaded. *shrug*

The ps4 is much more my speed.

39. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    My guess is, when you launched Civ6, it popped up a window that gave you a license key. You had to activate that key on Steam to get access to the expansion.

Unlucky 13 likes this.
  40. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    Figured out my Secret of Mana performance issue: I enabled big picture mode when using a controller. So I just disabled big picture mode, and boom, game is nice and smooth. Almost ridiculously smooth. So far I'm having a blast, but I can't help but think they weren't ambitious enough in planning the remake. They've incorporated the SNES combat delay, where, after you hit an enemy, it gets knocked down and doesn't move for a few seconds; you hit it again, and it takes several seconds to tally the damage, and repeats the knocking down animation. I hate this so much and wish they had revised this.

Unlucky 13 likes this.