1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

We've got a problem

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by mracer, Jan 12, 2012.

1. mracer

mracer New Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Honestly, I thought all the krap Ross/Irish were getting on this board was due to crazed Fins fans. But I guess they really do have terrible reputations around the league. This is BAD, BAD, BAD for our organization.:pity:

Per Armando.....

The latest to take a swipe at Ross is Foxsports.com and FOX-TV NFL insider Jay Glazer, who today held a live chat on the website he works for and was asked his thoughts on Ross.

"I think he is a great businessman but doesn't know what he doens't know when it comes to the NFL," Glazer said. "He has no idea the type of effect many of the things he does has. I wouldn't say he's a meddler and he definitely wants to win but he's done some things behind the scenes that has had many inside the league scratching their heads. Going to interview Jim Harbaugh last year while Sparano was still emplyed was ridiculous."

This comes only one day after Peter King of NBC's Sunday Night Football over America and the entire Earth not to mention the inner Planets, was asked on twitter what is the general perception of the Dolphins organization (Ross/Jeff Ireland) around the league?

"Proceed with caution," King answered.

Read more here: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/dolp...al-pundit-to-question-fins.html#storylink=cpy

RedPitSea likes this.
  2. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    Oh noes, we have a problem!

There's a mole hill here and I have to make it out to be a mountain. Woe is us! Our owner is screwing us. :rolleyes:

3. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Luckily, we aren't trying to hire King or Glazer.

Seriously, if we're sooooooooo bad, how come Fisher (the top HC candidate in the country) hasn't taken the Rams job yet?

MAFishFan, dolfndav34 and Aquafin like this.
  4. Bumrush

Bumrush Stable Genius Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    What??? We didn't get Harbaugh?

When did that happen? This is very newsworthy, thank you for sharing.

Isn't it about time for another spam sandwich?

jsizzle and Ohio Fanatic like this.
  5. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    I think you to consider the possibility that you're just another crazed Fin fan.

Califin, CaribPhin and Ozzy like this.
  6. jinx

jinx Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2010
    Because it's the Rams, which is probably one of the five worst jobs in the league. I love this team too and am hoping for the best but the fact that Fisher is even debating this speaks volumes on the state of the franchise right now.

Aquafin and PSG like this.
  7. schmolioot

schmolioot Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Orlando
    Perception is reality, fair or not.

8. MonstBlitz

MonstBlitz Nobody's Fart Catcher

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    I know all of you are going to come out of the wood works to say the OP is overreacting, and maybe he is to a certain degree. But what you all don't realize is that after awhile, whether any of this stuff about Ross or Ireland is true or not, these stories in the media start to have a very real affect on how the Dolphins organization is perceived. You guys can defend Ross and Ireland all you want, and in some cases they deserve it. But if you think these reports aren't bad for the organization you're kidding yourselves.

Aquafin and Puka-head like this.
  9. NJFINSFAN1

NJFINSFAN1 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 24, 2007
    Northwest New Jersey
    By fans yes, by people in the know?

We have no idea what goes on behind closed doors.

DOLPHAN1 likes this.
  10. jinx

jinx Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2010
    We know Fisher is considering the Rams over us. That's not good. Miami used to be one of the best jobs in the league. Amazing how far we've sunk. Battling the freaking Rams for a HC. Yuck.

pumpdogs and Aquafin like this.
  11. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Based on what?

Seriously, the freaking out and panic laden speculation and bs by this fanbase is getting to ridiculous levels.

12. PSG

PSG Clear Eyes. Full Hearts.

Nov 24, 2007
    North of the Border
    Both are correct, IMO.
    The fact that he is so torn between the Dolphins and the freaking Rams shows how far this franchise has fallen. It was once one of the Crown Jewels of the NFL, now it is one of the squished bugs on the grill the proverbial NFL locomotive.
    We might not believe it, or want to believe it, but as schmolioot correctly pointed out, perception is reality. And this is the perception of the Miami Dolphins right now.

13. schmolioot

Dec 3, 2007
    Orlando
    Glazer and King aren't making this stuff up. They're parroting what they've heard their contacts in the league say.

Not saying its fair criticism, but it's out there and it has to be dealt with. And if Fisher chooses the Rams over us, then that perception will intensify. This factor is the only reason I would suggest pulling out of the race at some point, if it continues to drag on. We'd be better off pre-emptively dumping Fisher then waiting around for the kick to the groin

14. PSG

Nov 24, 2007
    North of the Border
    It's not about panic, it's what non-dolphins fan think of this franchise. And most think it's at or near the bottom of the barrel. We don't have to believe it's true, but that's what outsiders believe.

Aquafin likes this.
  15. Ohio Fanatic

Ohio Fanatic Twuaddle or bust Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    agreed, it's getting so bad, I feel like we're on a Jets board (without the cursing). I really hope we get Fisher, then all the fans overreacting, overanalyzing will feel stupid. Of course if we don't, I eat crow.

16. Ohio Fanatic

Ohio Fanatic Twuaddle or bust Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA

first of all: who the $##@ cares what non-dolphins fans think about this team, is it really important to you
    second of all: what have we done in the last 10+ years that would pole-vault us out of the "bottom of the barrel"? Over the last 10 years, we are arguably one of the 5 or 6 worst teams in the NFL. While we may not be a joke, we certainly don't have a lot of shiny luster to our franchise, and it started long before Ross took over.

Califin and Bumrush like this.
  17. NJFINSFAN1

Nov 24, 2007
    Northwest New Jersey
    Rams won a super bowl in the last 20 years, have we?

Since 2000, Rams have been to playoffs 4 time, we have been 3 time.

pumpdogs and Ohio Fanatic like this.
  18. schmolioot

Dec 3, 2007
    Orlando
    It's not about over reacting. It's about accepting what the perception of the franchise is and trying to find a way to turn it around. Regardless of whether the criticism of ross is fair or not.

I remember not all that long ago when every coach wanted to work for Huizenga. When we got invovled with a big name coach, other teams got out of the way. When we pursued Saban, no other NFL team got invovled even though they all wanted him. It was clear to everyone that we were either getting him or he was staying at LSU.

When Pete Carrol was in the midst of his great run, he took time out of his Costa Rican vacation to meet with Huizenga. We were always seen as the "best" job.

Now, we are competing for a good, but not overhwelmingly great coach, with one of the dregs of the league that has won 10 games in 3 years and might relocate 2 years from now.

Aquafin and MonstBlitz like this.
  19. PSG

Nov 24, 2007
    North of the Border
    Either way, I won't feel bad and you won't have to eat crow.
    It's not really up for debate. This franchise is looked down upon in league circles whether we like it or not.
    If Fisher chooses the Rams those opinions will probably intensify, if Fisher chooses the Dolphins it may help and people might say we starting the right the ship.
    Or his decision might not do a damn thing for the public perception of this franchise either way.

20. Bumrush

Nov 25, 2007
    This is why we have a problem. To blame Ross is asinine. This isn't a premier destination because the team has sucked for a decade and the fanbase is fickle and full of people that criticize everything and have no patience.

You want to know why we have a problem. Here is why:
    2004 - 4-12
    2005 - 9-7
    2006 - 6-10
    2007 - 1-15
    2008 - 11-5 (anomaly)
    2009 - 7-9
    2010 - 7-9
    2011 - 6-10

Blaming Ross because we messed up a potential coaching candidate that took a crappy team to a first round playoff bye is ridiculous. Instead of defending this team you guys feed in to the media BS.. Armando is the biggest tool of all, if it was up to him we would cut our best player on the team, Brandon Marshall.. Yet his baiting when speaking to reporters (he leads them to the conclusion that the owner is horrible) is spoken fact.. Yeah, whatever.

cdz12250, MAFishFan, Califin and 9 others like this.
  21. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    :hi5: to Ohio Fanatic for your 2nd post and to Bumrush.

Ohio Fanatic likes this.
  22. PSG

Nov 24, 2007
    North of the Border
    1. No. I'm not saying it's important to me, but it's important to possible HC candidates and free agents.

2. I never said Ross was the reason, he just hasn't done anything to help change it, if anything he's helped make it worse.

23. jinx

jinx Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2010
    So has Tampa Bay. Do you think people think that's a great job? Do you think the Rams ever in their history could have pulled Jimmy Johnson, Nick Saban and Bill Parcells?

24. Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell Post Hard, Post Often Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    I'm sure this stuff is said about Ross. But I don't really see it as much of an indictment. I think the same could apply to ~20 NFL owners.

25. NJFINSFAN1

Nov 24, 2007
    Northwest New Jersey
    And what have those three done for us?

We have been to the playoffs 3 times since 200o, the Rams have been to the playoffs 4 times with a super bowl victory. What makes us better than them???

I think we have a better core as a team, but this talk about the Rams are a bum on the street is just silly, they have as rich a history as we do.

26. Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell Post Hard, Post Often Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    If they offered a blank check, total control, and carte blanche authority over the organization, then yes they could have pulled those guys.

27. jinx

jinx Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2010
    Funny, we were an aging team in cap hell when both JJ and Saban took over but that didn't stop Huizenga. Parcells took the job off a disastrous 1 win season. Why is suddenly everyone turning us down? (And don't kid yourself, both Gruden and Cowher said no... and yeah, Harbaugh.)

schmolioot likes this.
  28. jinx

jinx Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2010
    Right, because Miami was the first team to come after Saban for an NFL job. Also, how much an owner is willing to spend and stay the hell out of the way plays into the quality of the job. Ross could be viewed as a meddler around the league.

29. schmolioot

Dec 3, 2007
    Orlando
    Ahh yes, I was waiting for the "blame the fans" post. Of course, what you're really doing is blaming "fans" who aren't you for something they have absolutely nothing to do with, which allows you to put yourself on a pedastal.

We hired Saban off a 4-12, Parcells off a 1-15. We had the same fans back then as we do now. What we have is a different owner.

PSG likes this.
  30. NJFINSFAN1

Nov 24, 2007
    Northwest New Jersey
    Parcells went to work for a owner that could not be any worse than a meddler in Jerry Jones. Parcells goes for the money, nothing else, don't fool yourself with him.

Its funny, I'm not even a big Ross fan and some of you guys have me defending him.

31. adamprez2003

adamprez2003 Senior Member

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    Ross is a joke. Glad to see him finaLly getting the criticism he deserves

32. Bumrush

Nov 25, 2007
    LOL!! Parcells? Seriously? That SOB got a dream contract.. Don't think for a second that Parcells was clueless that Wayne was leaving the next year.. Let's see, inflate the value of the team by hiring Parcells and then give him a monstrous contract, PAID IN FULL if ownership changes.. Yup, Wayne sure used those Waste Management tactics to lure Parcells.. No wonder Parcells took a hike minutes before signing off with Atlanta.

33. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Lets get this straight, Gruden & Cowher arent coaching. So them saying no to us has no bearing on the quality of our franchise, and quite frankly its stupid to act like it does. As is stands right now, only one coach has said no, and that could be blamed just as much on the fact that he wanted to stay in CA.

Steve-Mo, Stitches and Ohio Fanatic like this.
  34. NJFINSFAN1

Nov 24, 2007
    Northwest New Jersey
    I look at it as that he is learning on the fly. In his businesses, he makes the deals and calls, now he is learning how this works.

Notice you haven't heard much of anything from the Dolphins, its been all tight lipped.

shula_guy likes this.
  35. PSG

Nov 24, 2007
    North of the Border
    I'm not blaming Ross for the state of the franchise. This isn't Ross' fault. He inherited a mess of a franchise. All I'm saying is he hasn't done anything to make it better. If naything, he's put more negative spotlight on the team for some of the awkard things he's done.

36. NJFINSFAN1

Nov 24, 2007
    Northwest New Jersey
    Ask yourself this than.

Has he tried?

Seems to me he is trying wouldn't you say?

37. jinx

jinx Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2010
    I haven't criticized Ross a single time in this thread. I'm just pointing out what I see going on based on the facts at hand. When you make it clear that you want big flashy names, you better land them otherwise you come off as amateur. Huizenga was as big of a fame whore as Ross is but he closed the deal on virtually everyone he wanted.

38. schmolioot

Dec 3, 2007
    Orlando
    I don't think Ross is a bad owner and that's not even the point of this thread.

The point of the thread is that the perception antionally, and within NFL circles is that Ross is a problem and somebody you should be leery about working for.

That has nothing to do with the fans. Ross created that perception himself, fairly or unfairly. Now he ahs to change it by doing one of two things; 1) actually hire Fisher or 2) tell him to screw off before he kicks you in the groin and tell the world that you're not going to stand for the Miami Dolphins, one of the winningest organizations in all of sports, being strung out and that we want a coach who is excited to be here.

PSG likes this.
  39. Bumrush

Nov 25, 2007
    Wow. Miami was still very respectable when JJ was brought here.. 2011 is FAR different than 2004 when we experienced one of the first losing seasons IN OUR HISTORY. We have been TERRIBLE for 7 out of the last 8 seasons and have been through failed QB after QB. In fact, the best QB in Miami since Marino retired is still Jay Freaking Fiedler!
    Don't try to argue that in 2005 we were good, we were practically eliminated the first half of the season.

40. NJFINSFAN1

Nov 24, 2007
    Northwest New Jersey
    Wayne wanted Tomlin and was talked out of it for Cam, Wayne wanted Brees and was talked out of it by Saban and his football people for Culpepper.

Did he get everything he wanted? Maybe he should have meddled some.

Ireland was going to trade for Orton, Ross stepped in and said no, was that bad?

I'm not saying he is perfect, but there are not many owners that are.