1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

We're in trouble against Dallas

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by The_Dark_Knight, Nov 16, 2015.

1. The_Dark_Knight

The_Dark_Knight Defender of the Truth

Nov 24, 2007
    Rockledge, FL
    Like many others, I'm loving the euphoria of winning against Philadelphia in Philly, a game in which we were picked to lose and lose badly by some accounts, but now we go from one NFC East team to another...the Dallas Cowboys and I see trouble on the horizon.

While Dallas is struggling this season, looking at certain stats and looking at the tenancies of our inept offensive coordinator Bill Lazor and sending out a search party for our defense, we're going to have a bad day when the Cowboys come riding into Miami.

Defensively, Dallas is ranked 16th in total defense
    Offensively, Miami is ranked 19th in total offense...Favor Dallas

Dallas is ranked 15th against the run, allowing an average of 108 rushing yards per game
    Miami is ranked 19th in rushing yards, averaging 102 yards rushing per game...Favor Dallas

Dallas is ranked 13th against the pass, allowing an average of 241 passing yards per game
    Miami is ranked 17th in passing yards, averaging 247 yards passing per game...Favor Dallas

Dallas has accumulated 16 sacks and 5 forced fumbles on the season
    Miami has allowed 27 sacks but has had only 1 lost fumble on a total of 3 fumbles...Favor Dallas

Dallas has 5 interceptions this year
    Tannehill has thrown 9 interceptions in 9 games this year...Favor Dallas

Time of possession also favors the Cowboys 33:38 - 27:58

Offensively, this is a game in which Miami CAN and SHOULD dominate if we focus on running the ball, giving both Miller and Ajayi 15 carries each, particularly the latter. In his previous 2 games, Ajayi has carried the ball 5 times for 41 yards against Buffalo and 6 carries for 48 yards against Philadelphia, averaging 8 yards per carry over the last 2 games. Why in God's name is Lazor not putting the ball in Ajayi's hands more is beyond me. Look for Lazor to call his idiotic passing game, asking Tannehil to throw the ball 35+ times, sacked 4 times and losing a fumble.

Now on the flip side of the ball...

Dallas is ranked 25th in total offense
    Miami is ranked 26th in total defense...Favor Dallas

Dallas is ranked 10th in rushing yards, averaging 119 yards rushing per game
    Miami is ranked 31st against the run, allowing an average of 135 rushing yards per game...Favor Dallas

Dallas is ranked 26th in passing yards, averaging 220 yards passing per game
    Miami is ranked 20th against the pass, allowing an average of 254 passing yards per game...Favor Miami

Dallas has allowed 20 sacks this season but has lost no fumbles on a total of 2 fumbles this season.
    Miami has accumulated 20 sacks and 7 forced fumbles...Favor Miami

Miami has 7 interceptions this year
    Cassel has thrown 5 interceptions in 4 games this season...Favor Miami

Although there's quite a few "Favor Miami" listed, I see this side of the game being completely lopsided against us. Dallas is, and has traditionally been a running team. Jason Garrett, knowing how weak our defense is against the run is going to run the ball down our throats. Unless Suh/Mitchell can plug up the middle and force Cassel to have the throw the ball, our defense is going to be exhausted come halftime. Cassel will throw the ball, but look for it to be play action pass after Dallas has established the run, forcing Anarumo to put 7 or 8 in the box to stop the run. Our only hope is to stop the run and force Cassel into 2nd & 3rd and long situations. It's our only hope.

Dallas is a dismal 2-7 on the year, but those 2 wins were against Giants and the Eagles, the 1st 2 games of the season before Tony Romo's injury. In 4 of Dallas' 7 straight losses, they still managed to put up 20+ points per game. Can our defense rally? We'll see.

And this isn't taking into account whether or not Tony Romo is able to return. We definitely have our work cut out for us.

Pandarilla likes this.
  2. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    How do either of these favor Dallas?

3. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    The Cowboys have lost 6 strait without their qb....shows that they have a bad team and coaching staff imo..that team seems toxic to me at this point with very poor leadership.

4. The_Dark_Knight

Nov 24, 2007
    Rockledge, FL
    Well, if Dallas has 16 sacks on the year...and Tannehill has been sacked 27 times, you can deduce that Tannehill is getting sacked, probably twice.

Secondly, seeing how Lazor wants the throw the ball and Dallas has 5 picks on the year, deduce that Tannehill is going to throw an interception.

5. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    How? 16 sacks is not that good. 5 picks this year, is pretty low. Dallas is weak at getting to the passer and intercepting the ball.

6. Rick 1966

Rick 1966 Professional Hipshooter

Nov 23, 2007
    Powell, WY
    If Romo starts, we're probably going to lose.

7. GARDENHEAD

GARDENHEAD Season Ticket Holder Club Member

May 7, 2008
    New Orleans
    Yeah, I'm not good at math, but 5 picks on the year (8 games), doesn't scare me.

8. Pandarilla

Pandarilla Purist Emeritus

Sep 10, 2009
    Boone, NC
    Meh, I prefer to look at individual matchups myself. I know they're going to be pissed off at least in the beginning after the Bucs loss.

Then again, I don't know anything about their team except Romo and their "all-world" offensive line...

9. Vinny Fins

Vinny Fins Feisty Brooklyn dolfan ️‍

Oct 26, 2009
    Bklyn
    Dallas is in trouble against US.

I hope someone rips off Greg Hardy's ACL and wears it like a bandanna.

PhinFan1968 likes this.
  10. The_Dark_Knight

Nov 24, 2007
    Rockledge, FL
    We're pretty toxic ourselves. Fired our head coach, won 2 straight with Campbell, lost 2 straight...chatter was Miami's 2 wins under Campbell were against losing teams, can't win against a good team, etc, etc, etc...

Miami is 7-6 lifetime against the Cowboys and we are 2-2 against the Cowboys playing them at home however...enter the curse of Joe Robbie...

Miami has never beaten the Cowboys, at home in Dolphins/Pro Player/Landshark/Sun Life Stadium. Our only 2 home wins against the Cowboys were in the Orange Bowl.

Just putting out the facts guy

11. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    Dallas lost to the Saints despite Weeden having a near perfect passer rating. They lost another game despite Cassel having a 100+ passer rating. They've allowed teams to score 39, 33, 30, 27, 26 and 26 points and they're 2-7.

They may not be your average 2-7 team, now that Tony Romo is expected to come back. But they're not to be confused with a 7-2 team either, and so the usual rules about playing on the road apply. That's why when when Vegas tried to favor Dallas by a point, the line quickly jumped (within hours I think) to a Pick'em. The money on the Dolphins at that price was about to overwhelm.

Vegas oddsmakers are treating this game like they have no idea what's going to happen. Thus far, Vegas bettors and syndicates are treating this game like they don't know what is going to happen. I think that's pretty fair.

12. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    We're supposed to be scared of n=2 data?

13. Pandarilla

Sep 10, 2009
    Boone, NC
    That's inductive reasoning, not deductive (which means it's a given), you're using on the first point.

14. The_Dark_Knight

Nov 24, 2007
    Rockledge, FL
    And our offensive line is an immovable for to be reckoned with????? Everyone all season long has been beating up the offensive line, literally on the field and figuratively here in the forums. Our O-Line sucks!

15. The_Dark_Knight

Nov 24, 2007
    Rockledge, FL
    [​IMG]

Pandarilla likes this.
  16. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    And Dallas isn't good at taking advantage of bad offensive lines.

If you have a weakness, and the opposition is bad at taking advantage of that weakness, how is that a strength for the opposition?

If anything it is a wash.

17. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Is Sean Lee active?

18. Pandarilla

Sep 10, 2009
    Boone, NC
    Don't really get why you're trying to impinge us with fear over the Cowboys. I still haven't gotten over my Philly headache yet. I just like watching them play. I mean, for all I know the game could be fixed...

I suggest you just enjoy the game , leave the defeatist mentality behind. I'm more concerned over the fact of the terrorist narrative centered on France while never mentioning the Kenyan university attacks in Africa. While everyone should know we created, armed and back Isis, just like Al Queda...but even then I'm like "well, once a Goyem always a Goyem."

19. Pandarilla

Sep 10, 2009
    Boone, NC
    Fine, live in your watered down world where might is right. Just don't expect me to roll over with your kindergarten analysis...

GARDENHEAD and Athletic4ws like this.
  20. Sleepy

Sleepy Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2011
    Surprise, Arizona
    This is a game where Tanny will have all day to pick them apart.

Hopefully Lazor doesn't bring his clown shoes to work on Sunday.

21. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    Why doesn't the side by side look at pts scored/given up as opposed to (or in addition to) total yards?

Our team average score differential is -3.8 pts/game.

Their team score differential is -5.4 pts/game.

Favored - Miami.

22. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    Guys, guys! All we have to do is run the ball consistently.

Wait no. We got Lazor. We're ****ed.

muskrat21 likes this.
  23. Rocky Raccoon

Rocky Raccoon Greasepaint Ghost Staff Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    This game scares me because Tony Romo is a damn good quarterback and if anyone is due for a win, it's Dallas. They're not even completely out of the division race, as a win leaves them two games behind with 6 to play. Not impossible. They're not packing it in.

On our end though, we are coming off a big win and finally get to play back at home after like 30 weeks so we should be energized and ready to bring the heat.

I think Vegas has this right, as CK pointed out. No one knows what's going to happen in this game.

Pandarilla and dolphin25 like this.
  24. jdang307

jdang307 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    Didn't Dallas punish Brady like 6 times in one game? Did they not get any sacks in the other games?

dolphin25 likes this.
  25. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    There is no game that doesn't scare me. Miami is not a good enough team to think any team is a cakewalk. They are good enough to beat 6 teams of their next 7.

26. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    They had 5 sacks that game.

27. gunn34

gunn34 I miss Don & Dan

Jan 5, 2008
    Oviedo FL
    The thing with Romo is he knows when to get his playmakers the ball. I suspect once he gets back, Dez and Whitten will have better days.

Phins Up Wins Up and dolphin25 like this.
  28. Conuficus

Conuficus Premium Member Luxury Box

Dec 8, 2007
    Well away from here
    Wondered the same thing.

29. The_Dark_Knight

Nov 24, 2007
    Rockledge, FL
    It was supposed to be a joke dude

Pandarilla likes this.
  30. dolphin25

dolphin25 Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2014
    to me it says QB's really do make a difference :)

Phins Up Wins Up and Athletic4ws like this.
  31. CitizenSnips

CitizenSnips hmm.

Nov 29, 2007
    PA
    Losing your starting qb should not result in 6 straight losses. We've seen the pats lose Brady, the packers lose Rodgers, the steelers lose Big Ben, etc. those teams don't suddenly suck. That's what happened to the Cowboys. It speaks volumes about them overall

djphinfan likes this.
  32. dolphin25

dolphin25 Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2014
    I would start both Miller and Ajay. Have one or the other swing out for passes, or line up as WR's. Just keep switching which one is going to carry the ball, but keep both on the field at the same time.

Pandarilla likes this.
  33. Pandarilla

Sep 10, 2009
    Boone, NC
    I'm sorry, seriously had a headache for like the last three days. I'm a hot little potato right now.

34. vt_dolfan

vt_dolfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

No offense man....but I dont think you can use stats like that to try and make the argument that we are in trouble against Dallas. Theres way to much underlying information to try and say...Tannehill has been sacked 27 times...and Dallas has 16 sacks so you can deduce.....well, Im not quite sure you can deduce much of anything.

35. vt_dolfan

vt_dolfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Oh...well in that case ok.

Guess it went over my head, I apologize.

36. SuperMarksBros.

SuperMarksBros. Active Member

Nov 24, 2007
    Only the first paragraph is relevant

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

37. Phins Up Wins Up

Phins Up Wins Up Banned

Nov 27, 2014
    Well it did. 2-0 with him and 0-7 without him and a 12-4 playoff team last year with him. The Pats were what 10-6 without Brady? And didn't even make the playoffs. The previous year they nearly went undefeated losing in the super bowl. Steelers this year with Big Ben are 4-2 and without him 2-2. The Packers were 8-7-1 the year Rodgers went down nearly losing the division for the first time in years. And most of those wins were with him playing. I believe they were 2-6 without him that year. Without Manning and Luck the Colts were 2-14. All these teams got worse once their star quarterback went down. So idk why you seem to think they were ok without them and why you're shocked the Cowboys are significantly worse without their quarterback. Romo is a solid QB. Great quarterbacks make their teams better and this show how much of an impact ONE PLAYER can have on a football team. The QB position brings the biggest impact to a football team. You probably don't want to hear this though and would rather ignore the evidence because it doesn't fit the narrative some are trying to pass by around here that great quarterbacks by themselves increase the W column. Tannehill needs a better team around him instead of making this team better. Because he doesn't significantly increase the W column like the great quarterbacks do. Before Tannehill the Dolphins were are 7 or 8 win team. And that is what they have been with Tannehill. The best quarterbacks greatly impact the game.

38. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    Not a fan of the cut block at all. But if there's one dude whose knees I wouldn't mind seeing cut blocked to oblivion, it's Greg Hardy.

PhinFan1968 likes this.
  39. jdallen1222

jdallen1222 Well-Known Member

May 31, 2013
    Plantation, Fl

Featuring Jarvis Landry and 7 screen passes.

40. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    I give the edge to Miami in this game. I can see why Vegas has this so up in the air, not knowing what to expect. They're still in the process of trying to understand how to regard the Dolphins and meanwhile nobody is going to know how to regard a 2-7 Cowboys team that was 2-0 with Romo and 0-7 without him and is now getting Romo back.

I think the key here is Miami playing at home. Dan Campbell's player management style is a little more classical in terms of his manipulation of players' emotional state. I think his is the kind of team that plays well at home, responding to the crowd.

Part of the problem with why they're 4-5 right now is they've played 7 of the last 9 on the road. And one of those home games was with the lifeless Joe Philbin coaching them, came right after an unfathomable loss to the Jaguars which itself came right after a lifeless win against the Redskins. Everything has a context. The other home game they played came after an exuberant win in Tennessee which was Campbell's first game as the interim coach. He got the players up to play at home and I think he's the type of coach that will generally be successful at that. Here he is again bringing them home after a win on the road.

djphinfan likes this.