1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

We're ahead of schedule, it's just time to get a little angry now.

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by djphinfan, Oct 1, 2013.

1. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    The is the 2nd year in the current project, saints at home are on an elite level, we're not yet, but we flashed enough light for me to feel were ahead of schedule on that progression to elite level of play..

That was Tannehills first big game, every Qb must go thru levels of experience to learn from, I loved his and the teams look in the first half, and I believe he is on a good path of progression.

I'm not gonna sit here and try to figure out what incrementally went wrong today,just that the dolphins had a good look in the first Half when sh&$ was hyped, this 2nd year team doesn't have a lot of that kind of experience and eventually when you play a hall of fame Qb in his prime, at that venue, it can wear on you, because of the look of the team in the first half, I believe the team will be better because of it, and their attitude next week on the field is just as important in their development as a team..

I would think from what I saw, that the team would be mad at itself, not take on an inferiority complex..lets hope we see an angry football team next week, if we do, were all good baby going forward, and when we do make that run this year, and we find ourselves in another big game like that, we will be a better team because of the experience last nite..

2. JShady

JShady Miami Heat lover

Sep 8, 2013
    I was upset but now that I think about it, a couple of different play calls would have probably kept us in, so I think we did pretty damn good until our team just gave up emotionally.

3. Rick 1966

Rick 1966 Professional Hipshooter

Nov 23, 2007
    Powell, WY
    I hope they get angry. In the past, they would have got beat down psychologically and gone on a losing streak. If they beat the Ravens this coming Sunday, I still have hope for the playoffs and maybe even challenging for the division. If we lose...then we're still looking at around 500.

PhinFan1968 likes this.
  4. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Brees was sharp as a tack last evening, I doubt any team in the league could have beaten them last evening.

OL still looks bad, Turner and Philbin and Sherman need to fix it if we want to go up a level.

5. vt_dolfan

vt_dolfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

For our team.. I think how we respond to a beat down will be a good sign as to what kind of team we have. I Feel pretty good that we will come out Sunday balls on fire

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

6. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    One thing that disturbs me a little about Ryan Tannehill is this sort of "when it rains, it pours" tendency of his.

In his very young career (let's call it 19 games since he was only in for a few snaps of the Jets game last year before getting hurt), he's had FOUR games where he's accounted for three or more turnovers during the game.

And he showed that tendency in college as well. I don't have fumbles data but he he had four games where he threw 3+ interceptions, despite only playing significantly in about 20 games.

7. I agree DJ.

I witnessed a string of bad breaks that snowballed out of control. There was some non-calls by the refs that hurt. Some key drops that would of kept or shifted the momentum with Miami. 3rd and inches and not making it hurt. Sherman could of called in a better play but the line was the bigger goat for letting the defense get penetration. He wasn't stopped at the line, he was stuffed in behind it. RT's turnovers were devastating. I look at it this way, when you turn the ball over and your opponent converts it into a TD that potentially cost you 14pts. 7 you lost and 7 they got. That happened 3 times last night? I kind of agreed with Gruden too about punting on 4th in inches. That was a too conservative approach when its Sean Payton on the other sideline. Our defense looked demoralized by the 2nd half. It all made for a perfect storm of a nightmare and turned the game into a blow out.

Here is we find out how good of a coach Philbin is and how much fight this team has in them. Baltimore is starting to turn it around and they are going to be tough coming off that loss to Buffalo. Philbin needs to kick these guys in the butt this week and fire them up. He needs to be hard on them without crushing their confidence. If they come out flat next week then we may have big problems. Personally I think we beat 3 pretty solid teams and this is going to be a fun season to be a Dolphins fan. Last night was a setback but it was not the end

8. I would share that concern except he also seems to correct the things that caused them. When he is in the moment he goes with what he knows but when they fail he fixes what went wrong.

9. sloppyjoer

sloppyjoer New Member

Apr 16, 2010
    Ontario, Canada
    Good posts folks. I am not too concerned with the loss. I wasn't entirely expecting to leave NO with a win, but at least we know a bit more of where we are and what areas we need to focus upon to get to that next level. It was an out-of-conference opponent, so it was the best loss to have.

With that said, yes, we have to come out fired up for Baltimore. Not a 'must win' at this point, but a win there could be the difference maker of a tie breaker late in the season.

10. Canad-phin

Canad-phin Active Member

Oct 17, 2012
    The fumbling is bothersome. The ints suck but and I'm not taking away responsiblity, Hartline and Wallace ran crappy routes. Hartline straight up stopped his route because he heard footsteps from the safety. The corner would have had to go through him for that pick and it would have been PI. I squarely put that on Hartline. Should Tannehill throw that pass? Probably not. SHould he have stared it down? Of course not but Hartline need to make a play on that ball to help out Tannehill. The third int his arm was hit. He should have maybe threw sooner but I haven't looked again at the play but it seemed like a longer pattern and Ingonito let his guy push him back into Tannehill. Wallace on the 2nd one again should have at least made a play on the ball. But we were losing, the heart was out of some of the guys. Learn from it and keep running the ball. Even down by 11 we got away from the run when Miller was averaging 5.6/carry. That only helps the oline in pass pro. Also how about when we try screens they are not on 2nd and 3rd and long. Easy to read except for us apparently.

11. jw3102

jw3102 season ticket holder

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    I still don't see this organization getting to that next level until they hire a GM who actually knows how to build a team. There just remains far too many weak spots on this team for a GM who has been in his position for the past SIX years. This may end up being an 8-9 win team in 2013, but I just don't have the confidence that Ireland is the right man to be in charge of player personnel decisions.

The secondary has been a major weakness for years and as last night clearly shows, it remains a major weakness. I also don't believe Ellerbe and Wheeler are upgrades at the LB position. I don't see anything they do better than Burnett and Dansby. Just because they are faster, doesn't mean they make more plays. Their pass coverage is terrible.

The offensive line continues to remain an area of concern after Ireland has spent millions of dollars on this unit over the past six years. You basically have Pouncey and a lot of other average to below average players on the line protecting your suppose franchise QB. Hopefully Tannehill doesn't get killed behind this line.

I also have to question the huge contract given to Mike Wallace. He had one good game against the Colts and really hasn't done anything in the three other games. Either Wallace is the most overpaid player in the NFL or the coaching staff is doing a terrible job getting him involved in the game plan. Whatever the problem is, Wallace needs to start earning all those millions he is being paid.

If your satisfied with a team that will win between 7-9 games yearly, Ireland is the right GM for the job. If you want a team that will be a legitimate playoff contender year in and year out, I just don't see Ireland as the GM for the job.

12. FanMarino

FanMarino Season Ticket Holder

Nov 24, 2007
    How though? If they can fix that Line especially the right side then they should bottle whatever magic they use and market it. Instant best seller. I just think we have to settle for that O-Line. Unfortunately so does Tannehill.

13. DolfanTom

DolfanTom Livin' and Dyin' w/ Ryan!

Apr 26, 2008
    Saratoga Springs, NY
    For me, I have to look at where we are compared to where I thought we'd be at this point before the season. I was hoping and praying to be at least 2-2, figuring we'd handle the Browns, and then would somehow win one of the next three, most likely against the Colts because - while good - they were the weakest of the next three. Well, we handled them, and did what we had to do against the Falcons to be better than what I expected. I never really expected a win last night, and was very afraid of just that happening, but I had hopes like everyone else that we would somehow take out the Saints with a big effort. Oh well, we're not the first team to be embarrassed by Brees/Saints on MNF, and we won't be the last. We're 3-1, and "ahead of schedule," like you say. Hopefully this ends in a playoff appearance, and let what happens after that is gravy. Then, keep building so someday we're the Saints blowing out another, B-level opponent. That's what we are right now, and that's fine. I think we've officially entered Cincinnati Bengal territory of the last two years. A team on the rise, good enough to make the playoffs, but not exactly ready to fully challenge the big guys just yet. But still - a step in the right direction!

This is kinda disturbing, but then when you think about it, this means if he keeps developing like he is, and starts to minimize such games - because his really bad games are so compartmentalized, this may mean his bad spots will be far fewer and far between as the next few years unfold. Especially if we can get a better line around him. Yes, when it rains, it pours, I just think the rain will be less frequent as we go along here.

14. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    no one would be satisfied with 7 and 9, that's a proposterous line of thinking..If we beat the ravens, you might regret these statements.

Fair enough on your post, I see it as a 2nd year team, 2nd year Qb, arrow up thus far, and good cap room for next year..we're not done with the team yet, we have resources to get better and rookies to come of age..

Folks don't understand what a real home field advantage can do for a football team..we needed to taste that so we can save it for next time...

I was pretty damn excited about some of the things I saw in that first half that I haven't seen in a long time, we have room to add more talent.

15. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    the fumbling is bothersome because it's lack of recognition of the rush combined with poor ball security, it's a recipe for disaster..

16. jw3102

jw3102 season ticket holder

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii

I believe Tannehill can become a very good NFL QB eventually. I just don't believe Ireland has what it takes to build a consistent winner. His drafts have been mediocre to bad and the majority of the starters are players which were signed in free agency.

I think to build a solid team for the long term, it has to be done through the draft. Right now there are only a half a dozen quality starters on the offense and defense which were drafted by Ireland over the past six years. They are Pouncey, Hartline, Tannehill and perhaps Miller on offense. On defense, it is Jones and maybe Odrick.

The others starters on these two units who have been drafted by Ireland are Martin, Clay, Jerry, Misi, Carroll, and Clemons. Carroll is only starting because the injury to Patterson, but Patterson can't seem to stay healthy. All these starters are average or below average players in the NFL. You don't get to elite level in the NFL by drafting mediocre starters. That is the reason Ireland has had to continue to overpay free agents which other teams don't value as much.

I have felt all along that the Dolphins need a GM who can draft talent which can come in and be productive over the long term. Right now the feeling by some on here is that Jordan, Taylor, and Davis can be these type of players, but so far none of them have shown that they can be productive players in the NFL. Jordan may end up being a decent player, but with Wake out of the game, he didn't start and didn't impress in his limited time on the field.

Taylor and Davis have had trouble staying healthy and we have no idea if they can play at the NFL level or not. The only player to make any kind of impact so far from the 2013 draft has been Sturgis.

I know Ireland has supporters on here and the Dolphins are still 3-1 this season. That is better than I thought they would be after four games and I certainly am not taking anything away from them for their three victories. I think they are an average team who will probably win possibly 8 games this season. With Ireland remaining the GM, I can see them staying in the 7 to 9 win area for the next few years. I admit, I am tired of mediocre records by the team. As a long time season ticket holder and someone who flew to New Orleans to be at last nights game, I demand more than mediocre after six years with the same GM.

Perhaps you will be right and the Dolphins will turn it all around this week against the Ravens. Of course this isn't the Ravens who won the SB, as proven by their loss to the Bills this past Sunday. If the Dolphins win 10 games and make the playoffs, you can always tell me that I was completely wrong. If they go 8-8, as I suspect they will, hopefully you will also see the need for a new GM for this team.

17. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    Where is the beginning and the end to your analysis, the beginning is a coach who got the gig last year, it's called progression, and building of a team, why do you finalize everything, where is your room for the build, our team has come out of the gates and won three strait, lost one, and now lets see how they respond, if they do then their way ahead of schedule in the 2nd year of a regime change..

18. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    Sean Payton and drew Bree's has been together how long?....how hard is their venue at nite, come on man, combine the two, were in our 2nd year as a freakin team bro..we got all kinds of cap room...lets give it a proper time frame.

19. Zeke0123

Zeke0123 message board ******* Club Member

Nov 22, 2007
    Hartline needs to get in between the safety and the ball no excuses for that....that play turns into pass interference if he does his job properly....that play dissapointed me.