1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Welp, now that our season is officially over, we can focus on the offseason

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by LBsFinest, Dec 14, 2014.

1. BayAreaFinFan

BayAreaFinFan D'oh Club Member

Jul 20, 2010
    San Francisco
    So sad that we have to rebuild the o line every year it seems.

mroz likes this.
  2. zwave21

zwave21 New Member

Dec 31, 2012
    Get a Coach who is worth a damn. Let him decide on GM.

Scheme Wise: Defensively I switch to a 3-4, we have some of the pieces already in place to make the transition.

Personnel wise I agree with aforementioned by LBsFinest, I'd also throw in Fields as a potential casualty. I'd also look to trade Cam Wake for a decent compensation 2 or 3rd round pick.

Free Agency:

Offense Needs: WR, TE, OG, RB

Guards: I'd take a look at Iupati, Carpenter or Franklin. Safe to say Iupati will command a big number, Carpenter has injury issues, and I do like Franklin as he is a big mauler and UMiami alum. Tough to rely on draft every year and it backfiring. Franklin is only 26 as well.

RB: Sad that Miller can't be given the opportunity to carry the ball 20+ times a game. Still, it would be valuable to add a power element to the backfield. Free Agency pickings look slim. Matthews and Ingram have injury concerns. Murray will get paid somewhere. Gore is older back but could be serviceable. Stevan Ridley if recovering well from injury might be a possibility. I'd still look at deep draft as well to address.

TE: Clay is an option to come back but I wouldn't pay him top dollar. Julius Thomas I just can't see leaving Denver but the dilemma is money with Demaryius a free agent as well. Jordan Cameron's concussions are concerning. Gresham hasn't lived up to draft status. The draft class isn't that impressive at all. I'd resign Clay and look to address big target at WR.

WR: When I look at our WR core minus Gibson/Hartline, I see Wallace as a field stretcher not a true #1. Landry is the possesion slot guy. What we need is a big target to attack the ball. Free Agency has two premium options: Dez Bryant and Demaryius Thomas. Don't see either leaving though. 2nd tier guys would be Hakeem Nicks, Michael Crabtree, Kenny Britt, and Torrey Smith. None of those names get me excited especially with a draft that looks promising. Also after this year's impact at the WR position there learning curve to the NFL is becoming a non-factor.

Defense Needs (Taking In 3-4 Change): DE, NT, ILB, CB, FS - Believe it or not the need on defense may be more dire

NT: This is a position that Earl Mitchell handled for Houston so the famiarity is nice. Still, I'd like a bigger body to stuff the run. Dan Williams is a familiar name from a few drafts back, he is a big body coming from AZ. Even Nick Fairley could be an option. Also Corey Peters is another name. I'd like to sign NT and draft mid round one to develop.

DE: Need to do best to resign Odrick. He has familiarity with 3-4 from his first years in NFL. Mitchell could slide outside or if Fairley is signed could flip flop the two. Cedric Thorton is another name who has done well in Philly.

ILB: the transition may be tough on Jelani Jenkins but I think he can do it. Misi should be address as upgradeable mainly cuz he can't stay healthy. I love this year's draft class for ILB and am really not that impressed with the Free Agent class.

CB: Used two draft picks in 2013 another one in 2014 and none have proved to be reliable pieces. Taylor showed some promise. Aikens will have a shot to show some these next two weeks. Davis is on the bubble IMO. Finnegan should be cut or will retire. Grimes is still solid but aging. As of right now I have WR/LB as primary needs in draft, so I do take a long look at Free Agent options at CB. Some names I like Kareem Jackson, Chris Harris Jr., Chris Culliver, Perish Cox, Byron Maxwell and Walter Thurmond. Harris would be great in Nickel against Slot WR. Signing one of them and grooming Taylor/Aikens to step up could buy us one year before drafting early round CB.

FS: Draft has some potential options. Free Agency has a couple as well. Nate Allen, Rahim Moore, and Devin McCourty. I'd look to draft to answer FS questions.

Draft: WR/ILB/FS/RB/DL/OL

WR: What we lack is Alpha WR. Amari Cooper is that type of guy, he'll be Top 10 maybe Top 5. We will be picking 12-22 range more than likely. That leaves us in the range of DeVante Parker, Kevin White, Jaelen Strong, Devin Funchess range. Two guys who could work their way into the 1st round if they declare Dorial Green-Beckham (suspended all year after domestic violence) and Duke Williams from Auburn (Juco transfer). Both are atheltic freaks but have less game film than the aforementioned. Out of that group I'd rank Parker/Strong/Williams as my favorites. Not sure I'd take Williams in first unless he has good combine.

ILB: I miss the days of a stud ILB. Jenkins has done a good job at WLB but he is more rangy than a run stuffing force. Now I don't want a 2 down stiff I'd like a 3 down LB, who is instinctive and violent. I'd rank two ILB as potential first rounders Bernardrick McKinney and Eric Kendricks. 2nd round options Denzel Perryman. 3rd round options Ramik Wilson or Stephone Anthony. Geting any of those names would be an upgrade and someone who could step in as focal point of defense.

FS: Gerrod Holliman from Louisville will probably be the first safety off the board in late 1st or early 2nd. Behind him Derron Smith, Cody PRewitt, or Kris Drummond are some names to monitor. One name is Durrell Eskridge from Syracuse as potential 3-5 round range.

RB: Early backs won't be options or aren't a need anymore. At round 3 is when I'd possibly consider drafting a back. At that point here are some possible names: Ameer Abdullah, Tevin Coleman, Duke Johnson, Mike Davis, Jay Ajayi, David Cobb, and Javorious Allen.

GARDENHEAD and mroz like this.
  3. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

And, the OL assessment, and the LB assessment, and the DL assessment...

4. Jt0323

Jt0323 Fins Up! Luxury Box

Dec 7, 2007
    Las Vegas
    We may be getting a new alternate jersey so we have that going for us!

5. Bumrush

Bumrush Stable Genius Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    All of this is obviously predicated on his wife wanting to come to South Florida.

6. TooGoodForDez

TooGoodForDez Deion Sanders for GM

Feb 26, 2013
    Ireland is fired too. That was huge, monumental.

7. ET7

ET7 New Member

Jan 7, 2010
    I actually agree 100% with this. He did NOTHING to add to this team during the season. No ones saying trade for anyone but look at something like NE did, got random players that contributed. We didn't even show any signs of him working, its as if the season is his vacation time.

8. MrClean

He just likes to make outlandish statements to see if anyone will respond.

9. Fin4Ever

Fin4Ever Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Aug 26, 2014
    Vero Beach, FL
    Daniel Thomas- Keeper....over Lamar Miller...that's it...you are delusional. You need to do a little better review..cutting Mike Wallace this year would not be cost effective..are we not keeping Pouncy to play Center..could stay or go..hard to say.BRING IN QB COMPETITION QB Rakeem Cato..Marshall-Bigger guards..like La'ell Collins LSU-Have Billy Turner prepared to play LT in case he is needed there.Dude was a stud LT in college-Bring in 2 Big, fast, strong WR's who can catch & fight for the ball...FA & Draft.Or draft 2 if we have too..Devante Parker & Breshard Perriman..UCF-Bring in a stud RB to work with Miller...I like Melvin Gordon but my sleeper pick is Devon Johnson RB Marshall-Bring in a big TE..Nick O'Leary FSU, Clive Walford UM--Bring in another LB or 2..Shaq Thompson-Wash..Georgia& Northwestern has a few good ones..Densel Perryman..UM-- P-save cap and cut fields though I hate too..but 4 million is alot for a punter.K - Competition for Caleb Sturgis-DT/DL Draft two studs here or FA whatever available as I think they will cut Starks after this year..and after this year Odrick has not earned big money.See what we can find for #2 Corner as well as another safety..FA or Draft.Philbin...FIRED--Coyle...FIRED--Hickey...Deserves another shot..off season, FA, draft wad all pretty good but in season moves sucked.Interviews I would Love for Miami HC--1) Jim Harbaugh--2) Todd Bowles--3) Rex Ryan--4) Art Briles--5) Gus Malzahn--6) Bill Cowher--7)Jon Gruden--Likeliest scenario if we want to keep Hickey1) HC Todd Bowles, GM Dennis HICKEY, OC Bill Lazor, DC Kacy Rogers2) HC Jim Harbaugh, GM ? , OC Bill Lazor, DC ?3) HC Rex Ryan, GM DENNIS Hickey, OC Bill Lazor, DC ?All others I think would all want to pick their own staff & GM. FELLOW DOLFANS...WHAT DO WE DO?

10. MrClean

I don't think she does, and therefore I do not expect Harbaugh is ever going to be our head coach. I'd be fine with it though if he did.

11. ASOT

ASOT New Member

Mar 29, 2013
    Coral Gables, FL
    But a winning season, probably means we lose though, because Philbin will more than likely.

12. TooGoodForDez

TooGoodForDez Deion Sanders for GM

Feb 26, 2013
    The coaches are custodians of the system. They must be all retained. This system is the most important thing and these coaches are the best. They are better than Shula, better than Belihick, better than anyone. They are building a dominant team, and signs are there every game.

We need better players. We just got rid of Ireland this year. One offseason is not enough to get rid of his garbage and rebuild. We are bereft of talent and mired in mediocre talent because of his drafting and talent acquisition.

13. Bumrush

Nov 25, 2007
    Were you smoking crack with Dez's mom last night?

14. BayAreaFinFan

Jul 20, 2010
    San Francisco
    [​IMG] Lol

15. BayAreaFinFan

Jul 20, 2010
    San Francisco
    Lol

16. MrClean

:sidelol::sidelol::sidelol::sidelol::sidelol::sidelol::sidelol::sidelol::sidelol::sidelol:

Just when I thought you'd made the most totally ridiculous comment that anyone could make, you found a way to outdo yourself.

Kudos to you for having a corner on extreme silliness.

17. DolphinGreg

DolphinGreg Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 7, 2014
    When I look at the team, this is the core group I see:

QB - Tannehill
    RB - Miller
    OT - Albert & James
    OC - Pouncey
    TE - Clay & Sims
    WR - Landry

Clear needs on offense are OG and WR.

DE - Wake & Vernon
    DT - Odrick & Mitchell
    LB - Jenkins & Misi
    S - Jones & Delmas
    CB - Grimes & Davis

Clear needs on defense are DT, OLB, CB

Personally speaking...

I'd trade Wake for draft picks and move forward with Vernon & Jordan as the franchise pass rushers.
    I'd trade Wallace for draft picks and get a cheaper alternative with a bigger body.
    I'd flip a coin on Hartline and Gibson and keep one for continuity's sake, while getting rid of the other to open up a spot for a new-comer.

18. Fin4Ever

Fin4Ever Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Aug 26, 2014
    Vero Beach, FL
    I am at least LMAO at your posts.Better than Shula Eh? I actually thought you were too young to watch him..but that's right..you saw him in his last 2 years which was still better than Philbin but horrible years.for Coach!!

19. phinswolverinesrockets

phinswolverinesrockets If he dies, he dies

Oct 31, 2013
    Houston
    Almost shed a tear because of laughing so hard. For that you get a fist bump.

20. TheHighExhaulted

TheHighExhaulted Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2008
    I don't know who is dumber, "TooGoodForDez" or the people that are entertaining his posts.

By you replying to his posts he is getting exactly what he wants, attention from anonymous people on a message board that for some reason gives him his jollies.

GARDENHEAD and Panther7 like this.
  21. Bumrush

Nov 25, 2007
    This post is confirmation that Dez is a troll. Nothing he writes again will be taken seriously

22. phinswolverinesrockets

phinswolverinesrockets If he dies, he dies

Oct 31, 2013
    Houston
    It was funny as hell though.

23. DolphinGreg

DolphinGreg Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 7, 2014
    You guys know you can put people on ignore, right?

24. invid

invid Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Every court needs a jester.

DPlus47 likes this.
  25. RGF

RGF THE FINSTER Club Member

Nov 24, 2007
    NY
    Common knowledge long ago.

26. adamprez2003

adamprez2003 Senior Member

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    Tell me about it.

27. shadokp

shadokp Active Member

Aug 15, 2011
    Massachusetts
    Umm, I think we could still make the playoffs............. gets coat...

28. MrClean

Do you think TooGoodForDez achieves an erection and engages in a masturbatory fantasy when others here respond to his silliness?

29. Panther7

Panther7 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Jan 31, 2009
    Why people don't put him on "ignore" is beyond me. He is obviously not a Dolphin fan. I'm upset that I still am able to read his posts when people reply to him. He brings nothing of value - just wastes your precious time.

30. Phoenician Fan

Phoenician Fan Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2013
    Nobody wants to blow this thing up more than me but; where did you get those numbers?

Your numbers are way off. There would be nowhere near that amount of cap come available. With all the resources available and threads published every year I don't understand why people continue to ignore the rules concerning contracts and make these enormously inflated speculations about clearing cap.

Some players can be traded or cut with little or no dead money. A couple examples would be Earl Mitchell and Pouncey. No dead money there and you could clear about 12 mil. Guys like Ellerbe,Hartline and Wheeler are going to come with lots dead cap pain.

This is a pretty easy to read source. It may not always be 100% accurate but it's usually close. http://overthecap.com/salary-cap/miami-dolphins/

31. Phoenician Fan

Phoenician Fan Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2013
    There is of course all these players and their salaries to consider as well:http://overthecap.com/free-agency/miami-dolphins/

I would like to retain Odrick,Clay, RFA Shelby and Michael Thomas and AJ Francis as well. Odrick and Clay will need to get paid.

32. fins104

fins104 New Member

Oct 1, 2013
    Also after watching other games around the league its clear this team needs a star MLB sooooooo badly its not even funny. Its crazy to watch the impact Bobby Wagner had yesterday and think that Koa Misi is even playing the same position. That blows my mind.

33. LBsFinest

LBsFinest Banned

Jul 24, 2012
    I got my info from the same site using the cap calculator: http://overthecap.com/calculator/miami-dolphins/

34. LBsFinest

LBsFinest Banned

Jul 24, 2012
    ahh yes, that's exactly what we need, two more meaningless wins that not only might save Philbin's job but potentially drop us 10-15 spots in the draft as well.

no thanks.

finwin likes this.
  35. MrClean

You are right, but it is kind of like when there has been a car wreck on the freeway. As the traffic is slowly going past, we know we shouldn't look over at the mess, but usually most folks do.

36. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    I hate the offseason

37. gilv13

gilv13 Well-Known Member

Aug 23, 2009
    [​IMG]

38. The G Man

The G Man Git 'r doooonnne!!!

Mar 18, 2009
    Assuming Philbin is gone (which is not a certainty at this point IMO), I'd like to see us go after Harbaugh first. Not sure he would come to Miami given the circus it appears to be looking from the outside, and how badly Ross handled it the last time he went after him. But, I think he is a good coach. If that fails, I really like the idea of having a Shula back as our HC. If he's anything like his old man, he could be just what this franchise needs to get back being consistently competitive.

39. Hellion

Hellion Crash Club Member

Dec 4, 2007
    Here and there
  40. LBsFinest

LBsFinest Banned

Jul 24, 2012
    80% chance Philbin is gone per Jason Cole