1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

We won't go Anywhere with Sparano

Discussion in 'SoapBox - Rants forum' started by vinivedivichi, Oct 17, 2010.

Tags:
  1. vinivedivichi

vinivedivichi New Member

Apr 13, 2008
    Tampa
    I think it's great to be a power football team, and being conservative is usually a good thing, but there's no excuse for some of the things he does. He routinely gives up at the end of halves/games. Not trying for a hail mary was inexcusable.

Also, in overtime, you don't settle for a 44 yard field goal - on third down no less.

That's STUPID football, not conservative football. His team bailed him out today.

cobrajet, FinFan316, Dorfdad and 4 others like this.
  2. Southbeach

Southbeach Banned

Aug 22, 2010
    Just for today, can you go away, and STFU!!!

Zod, djphinfan, MrClean and 1 other person like this.
  3. mor911

mor911 pooping

Nov 25, 2007
    Austin, TX
    They won.

late again likes this.
  4. BlameItOnTheHenne

BlameItOnTheHenne Taking a poop

Aug 15, 2010
    Davie
    They kick on 3rd down just in case it is blocked, they can pick it up and kick on 4th.

5. DOLPHANITY

DOLPHANITY Wooo Dolphins

Oct 21, 2009
    JERSEY
    Completely agree....Attempting a hail mary should have been a given especially when you have an arm like Henne throwing to a monster like Marshall. I hate going into overtime with sudden death rules because it usually ends up first possession wins it. Also I can kind of agree with him on the 3rd down field goal call. We were well in field goal range and we only got 1 yard the past 2 runs. He didnt want to risk any crazy fumbles happening. I also never thought about that from the above poster. GOOD POINT!!

6. brandon27

brandon27 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    Actually, its very common for teams to kick on third down in OT in case of a penalty, or a fumbled snap, or a block. Its actually quite a good call by the coach.

siciliansith, Clipse, Jt0323 and 2 others like this.
  7. CitizenSnips

CitizenSnips hmm.

Nov 29, 2007
    PA
    you always kick it on third down. that might have been the dumbest thing you said there, amongst a lot of dumb things.

Bad snaps happen, thats why you kick it on third. if the snap is bad, the holder eats it, and you still have 4th down to try again.

Sparanos not perfect, but hes right more than hes wrong. And now we're back to a winning record, enjoy it.

8. VanDolPhan

VanDolPhan Club member Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Hamilton, Ontario Canada
    Exactly. Smart thinking considering the special teams blocks lately. Also they failed at a 4th and 1 WITH the lead. That's not being conservative.

9. frags

frags New Member

Sep 19, 2010
    Boston, MA...
    And as Dungy opined on primetime a couple weeks ago, you lessen the risk of injuries to your players...

However, to some extent I agree with the opening poster's sentiments...This case no.

MikeHoncho likes this.
  10. Layfield

Layfield New Member

Dec 4, 2007
    Correct me if im wrong, but if a field goal is kicked on third down and then blocked, the ball switches possession. Right?

11. BlameItOnTheHenne

Aug 15, 2010
    Davie
    No, it would be 4th down.

EDIT: It would change possessions if the defense recovers.

12. Southbeach

Southbeach Banned

Aug 22, 2010
    No, it's a live ball.

BlameItOnTheHenne likes this.
  13. vinivedivichi

vinivedivichi New Member

Apr 13, 2008
    Tampa
    Some of you need to use your heads a little bit. If teams were so worried about mishaps with snapping/holding, we'd see a lot more field goals on 3rd down in normal play.

Sure, if you're on the 10 yard line you kick on 3rd down because there's little difference beween a 27 or so yard kick and a 25 yard kick.

In our case, however, you don't settle for a 44 yard field goal. It makes no sense.

BicketyBam likes this.
  14. SeanP

SeanP Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Deltona FL
    As far as the call at the end of regulation. Im ok with it if they werent sure of marshals status after he limped off. Not enough time to decide what to do with him and not worth risking an injury. And without him I don't think we have a threat to take it to the house. It'd be an airball up for a pick run back.

15. frags

frags New Member

Sep 19, 2010
    Boston, MA...
    The probability of a serious injury is, I would guess, much less than 40%. However, you do not push your luck. We win this game in regulation and Dansby, for example, does not injure his knee. Lets hope it is nothing serious, but you see my point and that is why Dungy, among others, opines that it is better not to risk injury and kick earlier in OT.

16. vinivedivichi

vinivedivichi New Member

Apr 13, 2008
    Tampa
    Have you ever seen that happen?

17. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009

.......W

...that is all.

18. frags

frags New Member

Sep 19, 2010
    Boston, MA...
    Aye, I concur LM...we are starting to sound like most JETs fans complaining and complaining after wins or losses...

19. Jt0323

Jt0323 Fins Up! Luxury Box

Dec 7, 2007
    Las Vegas
    no we wouldn't... Teams want a TD not a field goal. Unless you are in OT, there any point you settle for. It was a good call imo and won us the game.

20. Southbeach

Southbeach Banned

Aug 22, 2010
    I JUST CANNOT BELIEVE THAT ANY DOLPHAN IS *****ING & MOANING AFTER A PHANTASTIC OVERTIME MIAMI DOLPHIN WIN.

Again, just for today, go away and STFU!!!

MrClean and mor911 like this.
  21. BlameItOnTheHenne

Aug 15, 2010
    Davie
    After reading this thread, I wish it was a botched snap on 3rd, Miami recovers and wins it on 4th down.

22. SeanP

SeanP Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Deltona FL
    They'd still complain saying we should have thrown it into the endZone. Because winning by 7 looks prettier than 3

23. Larryfinfan

Larryfinfan 17-0...Priceless Club Member

I'm sorry, but I see absolutely no reason to complain here. We went on the road, beat a team that despite it's injuries, is a better team than ours and you're complaining in the method used to win ?? I mean, that power football game you spoke of moved us into field goal range and won the game for us....I just don't understand what you're trying to say here ?? Would you have preferred that we lost ??

Ozzy likes this.
  24. VanDolPhan

Nov 26, 2007
    Hamilton, Ontario Canada
    Maybe if he was using his head (turnaround is fair play). His thinking is kinda like our special teams play the last few weeks :)

25. vinivedivichi

vinivedivichi New Member

Apr 13, 2008
    Tampa
    Apparently, that's what Sparano was planning on...

I mean, we play scared, not smart. There's a reason for everything, but that doesn't mean it's a good reason. Had we missed the 44 yard field goal Sparano would have been killed by the media, and deservedly so, for giving up his 3rd down play.

26. Clipse

Clipse mediocrity sucks

Sep 27, 2009
    Roanoke, Virginia
    If you're trying to troll, you're doing it wrong. The Patriots too just kicked a FG on 3rd and down. Most teams do it in OT. Know a little about what you're talking about before tells people to use their heads.

27. Wildcat23

Wildcat23 Here kitty kitty

Nov 9, 2009
    wow.

28. Clipse

Clipse mediocrity sucks

Sep 27, 2009
    Roanoke, Virginia
    Maybe you just started watching Dolphins games today, but we had a punt partially blocked today, a punt blocked last week, a punt blocked the week before, 2 punts blocked in the preseason, and a FG blocked last week. He has every right to "be scared" even though he was doing something EVERY team does in OT.

29. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    You probably can't talk **** on game management when you clearly have no idea what you were talking about.

I only say probably because it's not really a huge violation of the kind of posts we've seen here recently.

30. Southbeach

Southbeach Banned

Aug 22, 2010
    After reading this thread, I wish I would not have. This is unFRAKINbelievable. GREAT WIN and people are talkin of what may have gone wrong because they don't know any better.

Why don't you start a "DEBBIE DOWNER" thread. This is pathetic. JMHO.

Anyone here care that we won in OT?

31. vinivedivichi

vinivedivichi New Member

Apr 13, 2008
    Tampa
    For one, the Packers are not a better team than we are. Just watching the game today it was clear we were the better team, but between poor execution and poor coaching we kept the Packers in the game.

Beating the Packers in GB is a big deal, and escaping with a win is obviously great, but what I'm saying is that are things that need to be corrected for us to keep winning. We can't continually give up scoring opportunities in the name of playing it safe. It's smart to manage risk vs. reward, but Sparano outthinks himself. There's essentially no risk in trying a hail mary (I've never seen a hail mary INT return for a TD) and ditto for running another play on 3rd down to try to get the ball closer. Those are bad decisions that could cost us.

32. VanDolPhan

Nov 26, 2007
    Hamilton, Ontario Canada
    End thread here. The smackdown has been laid permanently.

33. frags

frags New Member

Sep 19, 2010
    Boston, MA...
    Hmm...I must have missed that one.

34. brandon27

brandon27 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    No we wouldn't you use your head. In regular play, why on earth would you kick on 3rd down when you still have the chance to convert, and if you dont, or if you blow the kick for any reason, you still have the rest of the game to make up for your mistake. At the end of the game in the 4th quarter, or in OT, you don't really have that luxury since its sudden death. Also, like i just said, its sudden death. you want TD's at all costs in regulation, in OT you just want any points, any way to get off the field with the W

When you have a kicker you know can hit the FG easily from 44, you kick it.

35. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    1) won the game, but it was a gift
    2) Henne continues passing the ball like a back-up QB
    3) if we don't make post season, Sparano will be gone

36. vinivedivichi

vinivedivichi New Member

Apr 13, 2008
    Tampa
    Do you have no logical thinking ability? The Pats kicked a 35 yard field goal and we kicked a 44 yard field goal. Think about what you're saying.

37. pennphinfan

pennphinfan Stelin Canez Arcade Scorz

Dec 13, 2007
    Los Angeles
    if you're seriously going to complain about things with this game, the 2 points you made are some of the least reasonable things to be complaining about. if you want to be upset with our WIN, at least pick better points

how many posts does a thread require before it can be rated 1 star?

38. B.Sebo

B.Sebo TV Mastermind

Dec 16, 2007
    West Arkansas
    Ophinerated, MrClean and pennphinfan like this.
  39. TotoreMexico

TotoreMexico Your retarded

Jan 4, 2008
    Mexico
    :rolleyes:

In OT the patriots went for the field goal on third down no less

Talk about STUPID football

40. vinivedivichi

vinivedivichi New Member

Apr 13, 2008
    Tampa
    The point I'm trying to make is that Sparano is over-the-top conservative - to a point that is nonsensical. There's essentially no risk to trying a hail mary, so why not try one? I realize the chances of hitting are remote, but my point is that these sort of decisions are indicative of a serious problem with Sparano.

Same thing for the 44 yard field goal try. When you're still looking at a 44 yard field goal, you don't have the luxury of kicking on third down. If you think it's a good decision, then i would ask at what point does it become a bad decision? If it were a 48 yard field goal? A 50 yarder? 55? Anything over a 40 yard field goal in an open air stadium is no gimme, so there's no reason to not get every safe yard (i.e. run the ball) you can before kicking.