1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

We may end up with our choice of HC Candidates

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Vinny Fins, Jan 2, 2011.

1. Vinny Fins

Vinny Fins Feisty Brooklyn dolfan ️‍

Oct 26, 2009
    Bklyn
    It looks like both Houston and the NYG will retain their coaches, leaving the only other PRIME vacancy as San Fran.

That's good news if Ross feels a change is a necessity, IMO.

2. gunn34

gunn34 I miss Don & Dan

Jan 5, 2008
    Oviedo FL
    The one thing in our favor if we somehow got Cowher, is that free agents would like to come here.

3. GARDENHEAD

GARDENHEAD Season Ticket Holder Club Member

May 7, 2008
    New Orleans
    Add Dallas to that list as it looks like they will likely name Garrett their HC. And since when is San Francisco a PRIME vacancy? And are we really a prime vacancy?

Of course, Tennessee, Cincinatti, Cleveland, Minnesota, and Denver will likely be looking for a HC.

4. azfinfanmang

azfinfanmang Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007

Yep, LOTS of talk about Garrett remaining as head coach here in Dallas.

5. mnfinfan

mnfinfan Active Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    Grand Cayman and Minnesota
    same with Minnesota retaining Frazier as their coach

6. Desides

Desides Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    Not any more than they already do. Sparano has a very good reputation around the NFL. Players like him, or at least know people who like him. You have a player’s coach in South Beach. Miami has a built-in free agency advantage. Cowher doesn’t somehow put that advantage into overdrive.

Anyway, the OP’s point is a good one. Really, if Sparano is fired, then we’ll be one of a very few teams with head coaching vacancies. Coughlin is being retained in New York, the Vikings have hired Frazier full time, Garrett is locked in for the Cowboys job as soon as Jones finds a black guy to conduct a sham interview with, and so on. You have to think the Dolphins vacancy looks better than the 49ers or Panthers vacancies.

7. AdamC13

AdamC13 Well-Known Member

May 3, 2010
    I think most of the franchise are keeping HC or promoting from within b/c of the collective bargaining agreement. Free agency is on hold until it gets done. The draft will take place either way, but free agency will NOT happen until a new agreement is signed.

Usually when a new regime comes in they want an overhaul of players and implementing their own system. The players on the team obviously didn't get the job done or the HC would likely still be there. Is bringing in a new HC who is going to want to turn over the roster work this year? Not likely given the status of free agency. If resolving the CBA drags on and training camps and preseason are rushed there wouldn't be much time to implement a new system.

Given the context I would not be surprised to see Sparano keep his job for next year, especially since he is under contract.

Would Cohwer even want to be the HC if he is not able to make some major changes with the players on the team?

As for Henning...GONE!!! Will likely be given opportunity to retire before getting canned. As for Ireland? Will be interesting.

8. gunn34

gunn34 I miss Don & Dan

Jan 5, 2008
    Oviedo FL
    That's being called a done deal.

I think Sparanos reputation took a major hit this year. Especially after his QB fiasco today. Flip, flop, flip again, flop again. He hasn't won a playoff game. Cowher has. IMO Cowher has a better rep with the players. I think free agents would probably talk with other players before talking with coaches. I can imagine what Brandon Marshall would say.

9. vt_dolfan

vt_dolfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Jim Harbaugh!!!!

10. adamprez2003

adamprez2003 Senior Member

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    49ers or michigan. we have no chance. longshot would be carolina if they were trying to do a package of harbaugh and andrew luck to get him to declare

Last edited: Jan 2, 2011
  11. AdamC13

AdamC13 Well-Known Member

May 3, 2010
    I would by this if he hadn't been out of coaching for the past 4 years. Steelers even won a Super Bowl without him.

The players on the Dolphins all love Sparano and have his back. Even Marshall who threw Henning and Henne under the bus today said if anyone can turn this around it is Sparano. High praise from a frustrated superstar who said this was the most difficult year of his 5 year career.

adamprez2003 likes this.
  12. NJFINSFAN1

NJFINSFAN1 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 24, 2007
    Northwest New Jersey
    Fraser is Mini's coach