1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Was Jake Long the Right Choice at #1?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Muck, Sep 15, 2009.

1. Muck

Muck Throwback Uniform Crusader Retired Administrator

Nov 25, 2007
    Sunny Florida
  2. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

Yes. Period. End of story.

3. Conuficus

Conuficus Premium Member Luxury Box

Dec 8, 2007
    Well away from here
    Is there a powder keg smiley?

4. BuckeyeKing

BuckeyeKing Wolves DYNASTY!!!!

Dec 6, 2007
    Well for ****s and giggles lets say we take Matt Ryan.

We end up going 5-11 or worst end up taking who? Certainly not a LT because I doubt this Regime would draft Monroe. I would guess we would draft a Rush LB like Maybin or Orakapo due to the fact JT would most likely not join us neither would Cam Wake.

So were still left without a LT and this year probably wouldn't be any better.

Jake Long was the right pick.

HardKoreXXX likes this.
  5. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Let's run Ronnie Brown 25 times for the rest of the season and see if Long was right pick or not.

6. PhinsRock

PhinsRock Premium Member Luxury Box

I'll put my trust in Parcells, Ireland and Sparano any day. They took what seemed a lock as the best LT in that draft, and he has only had 1 year of experience. Give him time and training, strength and conditioning, and another few games of experience, I have no doubt but that Jake will be a superb LT for us for a long, Long time (pun intended).

Frumundah Finnatic likes this.
  7. jetssuck

jetssuck I hear Mandich's voice...

Aug 4, 2009
    Perfectville
    The most important factor is Henne.....regardless of what Long does, if Henne doesn't turn out to be "the guy", then we should have drafted Ryan.

And yeah I know "build the trenches first" and all that mythical crap.... it doesn't matter how good your line is if your QB can't do the job. If you DON'T have a franchise QB and one is staring you in the face, you DON'T pass on him.

If Penny didn't need so much time to stand back there and look for a target that was actually open enough for his arm to make the the throw, the O line would have looked a little better vs the Falcons.

adamprez2003 likes this.
  8. finserg

finserg Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Linden,NJ

Yikes, thank god your not our coach , one good year and you call him a good pick :pity:

9. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Big Ben holds the ball for 5 seconds on some plays, does he come in for the same criticism?

The one thing about Big Jake is, we do not run the ball enough to really showcase his value to us, to me that makes the difference.

gafinfan, Firesole and adamprez2003 like this.
  10. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

So you go along more with those who call him a bad pick based on one game? :angry:

Sceeto, Frumundah Finnatic and alen1 like this.
  11. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Where did he say that?

12. jetssuck

Aug 4, 2009
    Perfectville
    Comparing him to Big Ben is apples and oranges...

Big Ben can throw with more velocity on his knees than Penny can with a running start. Not to mention Ben is so big and strong that he can shake off tacklers and if he has to, throw with 2 guys draped all over him. Basically that's his game......buy time for his receivers to get open.

And you'll never see a very effective and consistent running game until we have a QB that presents a down field threat.

adamprez2003 likes this.
  13. JDelenne

JDelenne Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Mar 12, 2009
    Orlando, FL
    I love how people are jumping all of Fasano and Jake Long just because of 1 bad game? you people are ridiculous.

GridIronKing34, TiP54, anlgp and 3 others like this.
  14. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    So that would be "no"?

How many super bowls has the West Coast offense appeared in again? 8 or 10 in the last 30 yrs?

Downfield threat is not really a part of the WCO yet it wins ballgames...

jetssuck likes this.
  15. jetssuck

Aug 4, 2009
    Perfectville

lol...yes padre, that would be correct;]

And in those offenses, they had WR's that could take a short pass and turn it into a long gain or TD.

The most famous of all west coast offenses is San Fran......was Jerry Rice not a down field threat?

padre31 likes this.
  16. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts

So that is "no" then...:lol:

No, I wouldn't have called Rice a "downfield threat" his yards after catch is what made him special.

As for short passes for long gains, Ted Ginn...we are all waiting...and more to the point, the WCO merely shows that stretching the field is not as important as good decision making with the football and the Qb having good timing with the Wr.

Which brings this full circle, Jake is not in a system were his natural strength, run blocking as a two legged road grader, is maximized, so we all have to suffer with the excuse of "one bad game" until we win a game and Long has another chance to prove himself as a pass blocker.

And personally jettsuck, I'd love to see us feed Ronnie and Ricky out of the one back offense, but that is just me.

17. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    Ted Ginn is not Jerry Rice, that much is for certain. But if Ted got hit in stride as much as Jerry (or at least more than he does) he'd have a lot more catches like that in the Buffalo game than he does right now. He seems to catch comebacks a lot and passes by the sideline which really limit how much YAC you can get (not that you can't get any, just it is a lot harder).

18. adamprez2003

adamprez2003 Senior Member

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    I agree that the draft cant be judged until Henne gets his time to show what he has. At the end of the day you never, ever pass on a franchise QB if one is available. Having said that, they very well might have lucked out by having Henne still available to them in the 2nd round. He's shown flashes of being able to become that franchise QB but until we know for sure the jury is still out on this one. Of course if Henne does become a franchise QB then we can debate whether Long or Clady wouldve been the better pick :shifty:

jetssuck likes this.
  19. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Now that is true Stitches, he also runs square ins well, but Penny seems to like Bess and Greg C better for the interior stuff.

A part of me sees the talent on the offense and just gets so frustrated that they don't do more, Ronnie Ricky Ginn Long, we are like a car that is out of tune and running on 5 cylinders instead of 6.

Which to me means we should simplify things and just play smashmouth and establish some things before we go WildPat or whatever.

20. Frumundah Finnatic

Frumundah Finnatic U Mad Miami?

Dec 2, 2007
    Miami FL
    Jake Long is the new Ronnie Brown.

Stitches likes this.
  21. jetssuck

Aug 4, 2009
    Perfectville
    Exactly.....and I like Henne as a prospect. He's the only decent QB prospect we've had in years. If we hadn't taken him last year, I'd be freaking out that we didn't take Ryan.

And if Henne doesn't pan out, I reserve the right to still do so...lol

padre31 likes this.
  22. jetssuck

Aug 4, 2009
    Perfectville
    The problem is, Ginn doesn't seem to be interested in doing anything after the catch other than avoid contact.

23. Stitches

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    Adding to what I said before, 2/3rds of Ginn's catches are classified as to the left/right sideline, but his best average comes over the middle (not sure how many WRs this holds true for).

In contrast, Bess' best averages come from the sideline catches. Greg works best between the hashes, but is very consistent across the board.

24. NolePhin

NolePhin Look out for D-Bess

Apr 27, 2009
    Davie, FL
    Is it fair to judge a draft pick after only 17 games? Usually we give the pick 3 years or so to see how he develops.

Last Sunday was the first time at least that I've seen people complaining about Long's performance. Lets give the guy a chance, 1 bad game in his first 17, not too bad.

The G Man likes this.
  25. PhinsRock

PhinsRock Premium Member Luxury Box

Frankly what I saw in Ryan at Atlanta did not impress me all that much as far as downfield pass accuracy. I don't know why everyone is thinking we passed on such a fab franchise QB, he did well last year because of their running game. His OL gave him the time and his WR's got open and he hit them on short to medium range passes. And we beat ourselves with 4 turnovers. His downfield long ball accuracy was pretty poor IMHO. I am a LONG way from declaring Ryan a "Franchise" QB.

I actually think Henne has a more accurate long downfield pass than Ryan, I know he hasn't shown it in games, because he hasn't been given the opportunity, and until we get our caca together on the OL, we're going to suck at offense, period.

I would imagine this is probably a damn tough week of practice for our OL and a few other players, if I know anything about Tony Sparano. Give our brain trust some time, they'll make the most of what we have, and if that's not good enough, they'll go out and get better players next offseason.

I'll keep repeating this: last season we went 2-4 before putting it together. Let's not disassemble the entire team for one bad game. Fasano on the other hand, deserves all the punishment I imagine he's getting this week.

NolePhin likes this.
  26. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Greg C is Penny's security blanket, every "good" qb I've ever seen has one, be that Kelvin Martin or Steve Largent or Jay Novacek or JT Smith and Brent Jones, they make offenses work.

I think the larger point about Ginn is, we only comment on the man because we know he can do so much more than he has shown so far, even on Kick Returns, and "we" all are waiting for him to do it.

As for Big Jake vs Matt Ryan, until Jake washes the bad taste out of our mouths from Week 1, he will be a new "?" mark for us fans.

27. Sceeto

Sceeto Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2008
    New York
    OMG! This is crazy!

Conuficus likes this.
  28. Conuficus

Conuficus Premium Member Luxury Box

Dec 8, 2007
    Well away from here
    Damn this is after week 1? Who is next on the watch list - Anthony Fasano? Pennington.

Tennessee is 0-1, Carolina and Washington too......think they are questioning everything? Does anyone honestly think we'll play that badly all season?

29. NorFlaFin

NorFlaFin Active Member

Jerry Rice had John Taylor
    Micheal Irvin had Avin Harper

Teddy Gin has got squat as help, a bunch of newbies and neverwas

Factor in popgun going deep........ugh.

Frumundah Finnatic and Stitches like this.
  30. Stitches

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    Popgun :lol:

31. Stitches

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    Thankfully not John Denney. I'd actually be concerned then. :no:

(I'm serious by the way)

adamprez2003 and Conuficus like this.
  32. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Chill Sceeto, Muck is going for page views....:shifty:

As for fasano, if he has another two fumble game he will be in a deeper freeze than the contents of a Gordon's Fish Sticks truck...he'll need two months to thaw out...:lol:

adamprez2003 and Sceeto like this.
  33. jetssuck

Aug 4, 2009
    Perfectville

At this point I think it's more accurate to ask "who does Greg Camarillo or Devone Bess have"......both are better WR'S than Teddy boy.

Ginn is what he is.....he'll show flashes and make some plays......and then keep disappearing and getting next to nothing in YAC.

34. jetssuck

Aug 4, 2009
    Perfectville
    mmmm..fishsticks

padre31 likes this.
  35. The G Man

The G Man Git 'r doooonnne!!!

Mar 18, 2009
    That's what I'm sayin'. I just think it's a little too soon to be passing judgment one way or the other.

Having said that, Ryan has certainly given us all plenty of reason to ponder "what if?" Dude looks like a young franchise QB in the making, no doubt.

But, and here's the thing...it don't matter. 'Cause no matter how this all shakes out, we can't go back in time and change it. Ponder it, discuss it, debate it. That's cool. But, in the end, it is what it is. My boy is our LT, and hopefully Henne is what we all hope he is...our future franchise QB. :up:

36. Stitches

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    I think the coaching staff may disagree, though you are certainly entitled to your opinion.

37. finserg

Dec 16, 2007
    Linden,NJ

Never said that, were in my post did i say that.

I said you cant say he was a good pick per one year of playing.

let see how he does this season and into next to call him a bust.

Ryan seems like he started were he left of last year,so thats a no brainer if he takes the falcons to another playoff game. :hi5:

38. finserg

Dec 16, 2007
    Linden,NJ

Thank you ,never did i loved the pick but not blind he got served this game.

39. Gitrdone

Gitrdone New Member

May 22, 2009
    Canada EH!
    Well 180lb wr's that look for contact don't last long.

40. anlgp

anlgp ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A

Only one thing needs to be said after all this

:omg: