Was Cameron forced to start Beck?

9 replies

BumrushBumrushSupporterOP
Nov 27, 2007, 12:32 AM

Thought this would be something interesting to discuss... With all the pressure the organization must be under this season, do any of you suspect that the decision to go with Beck was orchestrated by people (wayne) above Cameron? And that his conservative, baby glove mentality towards Beck is the direct result of Cameron trying to protect a player he thinks should be learning from the bench this year? Or am I just a nutcase today after another horrible, heartbreaking loss?

KDKdawg954Forum Veteran
Nov 27, 2007, 12:41 AM

I don't think u are nuts for saying this . . . there definitely is a chance that a person high up in the organization (Wayne?) probably said he wanted to see this kid ASAP . . . I mean we had to see what he looks like regardless . . . I thought the Buffalo game would have been ideal . . . but I don't think anybody is upset about having Beck in there, whether a better shot of winning would have come VIA Cleo Lemon is debatable, but Beck is the potential future, Lemon is not, we gotta see what we have.

KennyStangKennyStangForum Veteran
Nov 27, 2007, 12:44 AM

I'm sure Cam was feeling pressure to start Beck from several directions, from the fans, from the players, and from Wayne/Mueller/the organization. I don't think he was "forced" to start him (say and ultimatum), but he was definately running out of options.

Coral ReeferCoral ReeferNew Member
Nov 27, 2007, 12:54 AM

"bumrush wrote:

Thought this would be something interesting to discuss... With all the pressure the organization must be under this season, do any of you suspect that the decision to go with Beck was orchestrated by people (wayne) above Cameron? And that his conservative, baby glove mentality towards Beck is the direct result of Cameron trying to protect a player he thinks should be learning from the bench this year? Or am I just a nutcase today after another horrible, heartbreaking loss?

You may have a point.
Normally I'd dismiss this line of thinking but Cameron has shown a distinct ability to make some bad judgement calls IMO which would lead me to believe that he may not have been capable of seeing that playing Beck at this point was the correct decision to make.

The timing of starting Beck alone is so ridiculous that I have to think someone stepped in after the Buffalo game and put the nuts to Cameron telling him to get his head out or his arse.

RIP Jetssuck

vt_dolfanvt_dolfanSupporter
Nov 27, 2007, 06:13 AM

One thing for sure.....

After his last two games.....

John Beck is going to feel right at home taking snaps in Miami.

"The more difficult the victory, the greater the happiness in winning"
Pele

DJdjkb23New Member
Nov 27, 2007, 01:46 PM

last night was the 1st time i saw beck in action, he looked good not great, but if the wearther was not so bad im sure he would have a better game

dolphan117dolphan117Luxury Box
Nov 27, 2007, 01:59 PM

I think he was forced to start Beck because Cleo was sucking, might have been earlier than he really wanted to get Beck in but if Cleo is obviously not getting it done and Beck is the only other QB on the roster.....

NJFINSFAN1NJFINSFAN1Luxury Box
Nov 27, 2007, 02:07 PM

I think Lemon forced Cam to start Beck with his play.

THthedayafterNew Member
Nov 27, 2007, 03:33 PM

For what it's worth...

Cam had it all wrong from the beginning and never made the adjustments...

TG wasn't good in OTA's, TC, pre-season or the first 4 games... Lemon not any better...

All the while Beck is running the scout team and getting no reps with the first or second units... TG goes down... Lemon gives us the famous "best chance to win" ... (but doesn't)....in Cams POV....Cam doesn't get a 3rd QB in until three weeks weeks after TG went down... Beck still running the scout team....

Cam's in a bind... Becks had no reps.. he's not prepared to play... London is the last straw for WH... Cam gives the team all kinds of time off over the bye... he then has Beck take 50% of the reps but decides to start Cleo "best chance to win" Lemon (but doesn't).. the orange seats are empty....

Cam is forced .. yes forced to start Beck.. further exposing his flawed plan for Becks development... of which there's been NONE....

And so Cam the noted QB guru starts Beck on the road in hostile Philly in crap weather with a game plan chaneled by DW himself...

You know the rest....

JagfishJagfishNew Member
Nov 27, 2007, 03:53 PM

One could also say Beck started his first two games in very adverse situations against 2 really good defenses and didn't embarrass himself. Having two games under his belt he now gets a shot at a weaker def. at home. I really have no problem with how Cam has handled Beck.