1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wants and Needs / Offense

Discussion in 'NFL Draft Forum' started by joeydolfan, Dec 28, 2008.

Tags:
  1. joeydolfan

joeydolfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Apr 26, 2008
    Ft. Worth
    Next years draft is just around the corner and is my absolute favorite time of the year as it is for many of our fellow dolphans. A lot of different names have been thrown around as potential targets for us and also which positions we may target as well. Granted I am no guru by any stretch of the imagination, but I decided to take a look at the current roster and try to project which way the head office my gravitate towards in 2009. I will start with Offense for this breakdown.

QB - Check, Check and Check Mate. Pennington has been a blessing and has a few more years left in him. Henne is future waiting in the wings and looked good in the pre season. Beck is the wild card and could be further developed or used as trade bait.

Highly doubt we a take a QB next year unless a prospect the team views as a potential stud drops in our laps.

RB - Ronnie, Ricky and Cobbs have been proven to be an effective and spectacular backfield this year. Combined Rushing stats 365 attempts 1,552 yards 15 tds. Combined receiving 74 catches 716 Yards 3 tds.

I think this seasons production leaves the head office satisfied with the backfield, Ronnie stayed healthy, Ricky signed an extension and now they know what they have with Cobbs. RB is not a position of need.

WR - This had to be the biggest question mark heading into the season and we have had quite a few surprises. Camarillo was spectacular before blowing out his knee, Ginn has improved over last years numbers, Bess has been a gem of a find as an undrafted free agent. London is still developing and Wilford was a waste of a roster spot.

While I am not betting on which round we may look to add a receiver it is still a position of need. We may also look to free agency to address this issue as well. Hakeem Nicks, Kenny Britt, Juaquin Iglesias, Derrick Williams will be names to watch at the combine. Brandon Tate is a name to watch as a late round flyer. Very talented receiver and return man that unfortunately blew out his knee this year.

FB - Really when you look at where we started the season to now is like night and day. Boomer Grigsby was not the answer, Cramer the same and now we have the Mr Automatic 1st down in Lousaka Polite. Not a position of need.

TE - Fasano and Martin have had their moments this year with being in the spotlight and also disappearing for a few games but that is more of taking what the defense gives us. Combined the two have 61 catches for 857 yards and 9 tds. Those are pro bowl numbers combined folks. Not too mention we may have another gem in Joey Haynos on the roster. There are some very talented TEs in next years draft but I just don't see this as a position of need.

Jermaine Gresham, Brandon Pettigrew and Chase Coffman are the cream of next years crop. I personally like Pettigrew, but again, not a position of need IMO.

T - What more can you say about Big Jake, next year he will be even better with more seasoning. Carey has played well, but not to the level many of us expected and has yet to be resigned. Depth at the position is poor as well.

This comings years class of OT will be one of the deepest in history with a few of the top Juniors declaring. Ciron Black, Jason Smith, Eben Britton and Jamon Meredith could be potential targets from late 1st to the 2nd round. Andrew Gardner and William Beatty are later round guys to keep an eye on as well.

G - Talk about bad luck at a position and both Guard spots have been just that for us this year. Smiley was playing close to a pro bowl level before he went down. Donald Thomas looked outstanding in pre season and in the 1st game of the season. Getting both back healthy next year would be a huge boost to the OL. Ndukwe has been serviceable as a backup, Alleman not so much. McChesney and Frye were tried and a few others as well.

Definitely a position of need if one of Smiley or Thomas is not ready to go next year and we need more depth. Max Unger is the first name on my list, smart, nasty, experienced and can play all 5 line spots. Ray Feinga, Kraig Urbik, Trevor Canfield and Andy Kemp are names to keep on aye on as well.

C - Smiley has seemed to regress this season and many speculate on possible reasons why. Does he have a lingering injury? Is it due to the constant rotation at RG? I like Satele and feel he could move right over to G with his mobility and start there or be a great backup. Do we take a C in next years draft?

If we pick up a guy like Max Unger who has played all 5 line spots why not. Try him out at C and try to find your 5 best lineman next year during training camp. Other guys to keep an eye on would be Antoine Caldwell, Jonathan Luigs and Eric Wood.

Really when you look at the progress we have made this year on offense some amazing things have happened. QB is no longer an issue, same with RB, FB and TE. We have made significant strides at WR and I expect to draft at least one. Do not be surprised to see another 2 or 3 lineman drafted next year again as we still have holes on the OL especially with depth. Give ma guys like Max Unger, Andrew Gardner and Kraig Urbik and I would walk away feeling pretty good with those 3 from the draft.

What do you guys feel are the biggest needs on offense for next year?

unluckyluciano and Vengeful Odin like this.
  2. Vengeful Odin

Vengeful Odin Norse Mod

Dec 2, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    I expect that offensively, our primary focus will be the offensive line again, be it depth at guard, a replacement center, or a replacement RT if we allow Carey to walk.

We'll take a look at receiver, but I'll be surprised if we address the position on Day 1.

joeydolfan likes this.
  3. joeydolfan

Apr 26, 2008
    Ft. Worth
    Agreed bro, I think some fans may be disappointed with that but OL is still our biggest need on offense especially if Carey is allowed to walk. I just find it really amazing that how coming into this year we had question marks across the board at almost every position and now we have already wittled it down to WR and OL.

Think about it, in pre season QB, RB, TE, OL, FB WR were all positions of need. Now, at least in my opinion we can feel good about QB, FB, RB and TE and focus on OL and WR. Thats a pretty amazing job in one year.

Vengeful Odin likes this.
  4. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Vern Carey is the key to our offseason JoeyD.

If we resign him, then we can look for backup/fillin offensive line players later in the draft, if we don't, then Oline becomes priority #1...again.

I wouldn't mind taking looks at back up type running backs, Ronnie is finishing his first 16 game season RW isn't getting any younger and Cobbs is more of fill in RB then a every play starter.

If Dmart leaves via FA, we will need a Te who is more of receiver then a blocker.

Wr should be looked at, Greg C won't be back until mid season at least, Wilford looks like a wash, leaving us with Ginn and Bess...unless we wish to cross our fingers and count on Wilford just being better next year...:no:

joeydolfan likes this.
  5. joeydolfan

Apr 26, 2008
    Ft. Worth
    You know Padre, for some reason I just get the feeling Carey will not be re signed. I think one of 2 things is possible, either the head office is looking at the depth coming out next year and will go with a younger, cheaper player or, call me crazy they may actually be looking at Thomas taking over at RT.

WR is a definite concern with the injury to Camarillo and the FA market will be closely watched. After this weekends game Hakeem Nicks proved himself to be late 1st round to early 2nd round talent. Killed me to watch him and Tate beat up the Canes secondary this year.

6. Regan21286

Regan21286 MCAT's, EMT's, AMCAS, ugh

Dec 3, 2007
    UCLA, CA
    RB wasn't exactly a dire need last draft with Ronnie, Ricky, and Cobbs, but we got not one but two of them.

For WR, I hope the FO looks for someone who could've been what Wilford should've been for us. A big target WR who can be a yin to a Camarillo/Bess/Ginn's yang. Sort of like the setup they have going in New England with Moss and Welker. London may or may not pan out as many UDFA's do but he's sort of my prototype of what I hope the Phins can land in a drafted WR.

7. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    It wouldn't surprise me if we did not resign Vern C, as good as he was last year at LT, he has been only average this year.

There will be some moves made this offseason that folks won't like Joey D, some more favorite type players may be leaving us as we try to upgrade a bit.

FA Wr market really isn't that great this year, TJ Whoseyourdaddy highlights a mediocre crop of guys, we could use a #3 guy who is tall and can get the ball...you know, like Wilford was supposed to this year...and I'm not sure if we cut Wilford or not, maybe we should just to clear the logjam and open up a spot for a younger, hungrier guy to compete for this Traning Camp.

Regan21286 and joeydolfan like this.
  8. joeydolfan

Apr 26, 2008
    Ft. Worth
    I think last year the front office really did not know what they had with the RB spot. Ronnie was coming off the torn ACL, Ricky could not stay clean and Cobbs they just did not have any idea what they had with him.

With a year to get familiar with them and now seeing Ronnie stay healthy, knock on wood, Ricky staying clean and Cobbs being a versatile utility back they can focus on other areas of greater need.

9. joeydolfan

Apr 26, 2008
    Ft. Worth

You can say that again. Carey, Crowder, Holliday? One or all 3 of them could be gone next year realistically. I think Carey really depends on whether he will accept RT money or will his agent try to get greedy and go after LT money. This years and last years crop of LTs could have an affect on their negotiating position as well.

10. Vengeful Odin

Vengeful Odin Norse Mod

Dec 2, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    I don't see us going WR in FA, unless Terry Glenn is suddenly healthy.

I do expect to see us target a CB in FA early, someone that we can pair with Allen. That would allow us to shift Goodman to nickel. I think another CB would really help us when we face those teams that like to run a spread offense (New England, San Francisco, Kansas City, etc.)

11. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts

Really don't want to name names until after the game my man, that is bad ju-ju...:yes:

joeydolfan likes this.
  12. joeydolfan

Apr 26, 2008
    Ft. Worth
    Point well taken. :lol: :tongue2:

13. Regan21286

Dec 3, 2007
    UCLA, CA
    That may be worth one pick though they used 2 of them. Right now I still would not be surprised if they continue drafting RB's.

joeydolfan likes this.
  14. joeydolfan

Apr 26, 2008
    Ft. Worth
    Would really like to get a CB in free agency but I be damned if teams are not locking up most we may have an interest in. I could do with signing Atogwe at Safety and drafting a corner like Macho Harris.

Surprised there are not more people on Harris, would have liked to take Flowers last year and he has played well for the Chiefs. The Hokies produce some pretty good DBs.

15. joeydolfan

Apr 26, 2008
    Ft. Worth
    Stranger things have happened yes. Wish he had Parmele back on the PS.

16. Regan21286

Dec 3, 2007
    UCLA, CA
    Wilford, many thought would be a #1 or #2 guy. Don't need to explain how far that's failed. I wouldn't just stop at #3 guy. I would expect that tall WR to be the #1 guy. There's a reason why tall guys can give a QB a big boost and all talent (hands, speed) as equal, you go with the bigger guy. If the tall WR's got a shred of talent, you give the QB a bigger window of opportunity either as a safety valve or a red-zone/1st down go-to guy. If that WR's also got decent speed, more power to him. I want that size. One reason why SD is still in the playoffs hunt despite poor D? Vincent Jackson's breaking out like I imagined.

17. Regan21286

Dec 3, 2007
    UCLA, CA
    I didn't really think it was that strange at all considering their philosophy. What's strange would be a WR drafted in the 1st round. :lol:

18. joeydolfan

Apr 26, 2008
    Ft. Worth
    True with the size for a WR, thats why the guys I listed to keep an eye on at the combine are all 6'0" or above. I think we are all filled out with smaller receivers in Ginn and Bess. Would be great if London cam on next year.

Wilford and what happened this year scares me away from a guy like Ramses Barden, Huge target at 6'6", but not very fast and has issues creating separation.

19. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    I disagree mildly Reagan, a tall Wr is also easier to jam at the line, they tend to be slower in and out of cuts and what have you.

D Bess is a #3 guy playing as #2, Greg C won't be back for awhile, and I'd like to have another speedy guy opposite of Ginn the way the Colts had Harrison and Wayne all those years.

That would open the middle of the field for us, why take a tall Wr when you have Te's and backs anyway?

20. Vengeful Odin

Vengeful Odin Norse Mod

Dec 2, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Historically, the Dolphins have done well with smaller, speedy receivers too ... think Clayton and Duper.

21. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    What you lose in those 3 extra inches is more than made up for in extra arm length.

If I have the chance to get Randy Moss or Calvin Johson I take him every day. Of course you don't want a big slow guy, but why wouldn't you want a big fast guy?

22. joeydolfan

Apr 26, 2008
    Ft. Worth
    Hakeem Nicks look look pretty good opposite of Ginn with Bess in the slot. :yes:

23. joeydolfan

Apr 26, 2008
    Ft. Worth
    Agreed Alex, but easier said than done. Moss and Johnson are freaks and don't come around every year. There is not really anyone I have seen in next years draft that is 6'4" or above with elite speed. At least not yet.

24. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida

Well I'm not saying we can get a guy like that :lol: but we do need a red zone threat at WR. I think 6'2 is the perfect size for a WR really, best of both worlds as far as size goes.

25. joeydolfan

Apr 26, 2008
    Ft. Worth
    Very close to Nicks who is listed at 6'1" and 215 lbs. and will be watching his workout at the combine very closely as well as his 40 time, if he decides to come out that is.

26. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    I haven't seen him play so I can't really say. I like what I've been reading though.

More than anything for WR I like to look at the length of their arms when they measure at the combine, and their vertical jump. If you can jump three inches higher than another guy it doesnt matter that he's two inches taller.

The 40 times are fun to look at, but I think game speed is much more important. Some guys just play fast while others don't, and it doesnt always show in the 40. Teams love speed though so obviously it's huge as to where a guy will go.

27. joeydolfan

Apr 26, 2008
    Ft. Worth
    I think you will be very impressed with Nicks when all is said and done. Very good route runner, sets up the DB well and phenomenal hands. Plays fast as well and not one to shy away from the middle of the field.

28. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Because big, fast guys, who have football skills are known as #1 draft picks and I'm generally opposed to using a perfectly good #1 pick on a Wr.

It's a matter of principle.

29. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    A name that I would keep an eye on at the Senior Bowl, if he is invited, is JaRon Harris of South Dakota State. I haven't seen any of him so I can't comment on his game but he's got a nice frame at 6'1", 192 lbs. and is thought to run at a late 4.4 forty. Ramses Barden is another guy that I think we'll all watch closely at WR.

I like Hakeem Nicks, he's a top notch collegiate wide receiver in my eyes, and I like Kenny Britt at this point. I've heard about Britt's primadonna ways but I haven't read about them so I can't comment on that but I do like what he brings to the table. Good route running, good hands, uses his head and shoulders to gain separation and he's physical. Reminds me of Terrell Owens as I said in some other thread around here. I still like Nicks over him though.

Another late round guy that has some consistency issues and a lack of production is Brooks Foster, out of UNC yet again.

At the Tight End spot, as you mention Joey, Brandon Pettigrew and Jermaine Gresham are there, as well as Coffman. Gresham and Coffman are the pure pass catchers while Pettigrew is the best blocker by a wide margin IMO. I like Gresham's blocking as well but he's not as good as Pettigrew. Pettigrew has some issues when it comes to effort, off the field and long speed but he's still a good one IMO.

I know you haven't gotten to defense yet but a conversion OLB is a must. There's a large group of guys here, ranging from Jerry Hughes, Matt Shaughnessey, Lawrence Sidbury, James Ruffin, Cody Brown, Julius Williams, Aaron Maybin, Brandon Lang, Larry English, Greg Hardy, Michael Johnson and more. Out of them, my favorites are English, Hardy and Hughes. Hardy most likely won't be a Dolphin, he may not even be on the draft board while Hughes and English will in my opinion.

Cornerback will get a look and there are some guys that I like. Some overrated such as Vontae Davis. I like DeAngelo Smith and the often-mentioned Alterraun Verner here. Macho Harris is a nice player. Mike Mickens is not an option here nor is Justin Rogers of Richmond IMO. There are a few guys that I like but none spectacular, then again I can't say I've seen them all so I'll leave it at that.

Regan21286 and joeydolfan like this.
  30. joeydolfan

Apr 26, 2008
    Ft. Worth
    Defense is my next little project Alen and glad to see you pop in. Conversion to OLB will be where I focus the most as well as potential NT. List for conversions is quite long and trying to pare it down, I would throw in Connor Barwin on that list as well. I still keep going back to a potential NT with our 1st rounder though since potential OLB is pretty deep.

Granted the compensation picks have not been released yet, but I am going to keep an eye on who gets any extra 2nd and 3rd round picks if any. So far the Giants, Patriots and of course the Dolphins are the only teams with 2 2nd rounders and I doubt the Pats would be inclined to trade with us at all, plus they usually like to trade down anyways. I have to think we may look to trade down from out 1st rounder. There are a lot of intriguing players on the board in the late 1st round through to the 3rd.

31. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Barwin is a good one, high energy guy IIRC.

joeydolfan likes this.
  32. Regan21286

Dec 3, 2007
    UCLA, CA
    lol, you mention Alterraun Verner's name more than me and I would love nothing more than to have him in a Dolphins uni. Just needs to muscle up a bit and he's pro-ready.

33. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Not strictly offense, but we need more dynamic linebacking play, especially on the inside, we can work with Channing, but we need someone who simply stuff the ball carrier.

Which brings up another decision point, Roth has done well in his first year as a OLB...much better then anyone could have expected with 5 sacks and 3 ff, do you start him next season because he will improve further, do you move him inside where he played in College for awhile?

Or do you just find a more dynamic OLB/DE in the draft and use a quality pick (rd 1-2) to do it?

34. joeydolfan

Apr 26, 2008
    Ft. Worth
    Yeah, you look at Barwin and he is in great shape, high energy, was a basketball player and Tight End for the Bearcats and has the size we would look for at 6'4" 255 - 260 lbs. You would think at the least he would ne on our draft board.

35. joeydolfan

Apr 26, 2008
    Ft. Worth
    Sorry Padre, thats my next pet project is the defense. This one on the offense was long enough without combining the defense. No one would read it then and I wonder how many guys in here have read the whole thing anyways. :lol:

36. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Yeah, I do. Gotta lay off of that. I enjoy watching him though and he's a great person from what I've read so those players excite me.

He'll probably get a look. Now I can't remember but wasn't he just converted this year to end?

37. Regan21286

Dec 3, 2007
    UCLA, CA
    Hardly ever swears save for a few weeks ago. I think that stitches up the character dept to a pinch. Still, it'd take a lot for him to declare even though right now he's wavering. He told me 60-40, he told someone else 50-50, so it's somewhere around there. Always good to have a Bruin player's name thrown in the mix. Hardly get them around here.

alen1 likes this.
  38. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    :hijack:

:lol: