1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wake's Importance Rising for Dolphins

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by ckparrothead, Aug 4, 2010.

1. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/post/_/id/15836/wakes-importance-rising-for-dolphins

Another quote I really like...

Very encouraging. I like the latter quote because I think the idea of sharpening the tools in your tool box is really to perfect the things that you're good at. Perfecting them doesn't mean becoming predictable and therefore blockable. Jason Taylor and Dwight Freeney have, or had, specific identities as pass rushers. They perfected what they were good at, Taylor with the outside rush and Freeney with his whirling dervish routine. That's what I'd like to see out of Wake.

2. adamprez2003

adamprez2003 Senior Member

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    good to hear and possibly the most important player in our defense this year in terms of determining how we do. We need pressure and if he can provide it on a consistent basis then we can have a dominating defense. The two players I'm watching most intently to prove themselves on defense are wake and clemons. if they both step up their games I think we'll have a very good year

HULKFish likes this.
  3. Larryfinfan

Larryfinfan 17-0...Priceless Club Member

Seeing some of these guys work out for us is going to be interesting. Wake was/is a project, yet here he is giving Long a hard time. My hope is that in a couple of years, we are lauding the Troika for guys like Wake, Misi, Carroll, Edds, Dansby, Marshall, etc...rather than lamenting guys like Wilson, Turner (so far), White (so far), etc...

4. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    ''Wake the Ripper''...

The signature move..

anlgp and ToddsPhins like this.
  5. The Aqua Crush

The Aqua Crush New Member

Jun 15, 2008
    Calgary Alberta Canada
    That speaks volumes comming from Jake, who articulated Wakes improvement very well in those quotes.

Really happy to hear Wake is continuing to improve and fine tune his game and do what he knows he's good at.

6. Rocky Raccoon

Rocky Raccoon Greasepaint Ghost Staff Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    Not to be a turd in the punchbowl, because I believe Wake is for real, but what do you expect Jake Long to say here? "Wake? Nope, he's nothing special and will probably be invisible a lot on the field this season."

I want to see it with my own eyes dammit! Only 10 days until the first game!

Sceeto, GMJohnson and adamprez2003 like this.
  7. adamprez2003

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    cant wait to see football again:lol:

8. FinNasty

FinNasty Alabama don’t want this... Staff Member Club Member

Dec 1, 2007
    Well... that quote was coming off a practice in which Wake got 3 sacks on Jake... :wink2:

ToddsPhins likes this.
  9. GMJohnson

GMJohnson New Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Werd. We all know Wake can run an arc. I want to see him hold an edge, read a draw/screen, drop into a curl/flat zone, etc. Things he'll have to be proficient with if he wants to be a starter. Attaboys from Jake Long are nice, but like you said, I want to see it in a game. Donald Penn is a decent LT, lets see how Wake does against him.

10. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    the next JT

11. Muck

Muck Throwback Uniform Crusader Retired Administrator

Nov 25, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    Hopefully we're not going to get to see much of him dropping, because he's terrible at it.

But the kudos is legit right now. He's having success against one of the league's elite left tackles on a daily basis.

Not to be overzealous, but Cameron Wake might be one of the elite pass rushers in this league. We'll just have to see. But don't be surprised if he breaks out. We've seen all the signs.

The question *I* have is whether he can handle 900 or so snaps over 16 games. That's about 5.5 times as many as he had last year. And he's going to be attacked far more often than he did in his predominantly rush DE role last year.

And with those heavy snaps, can he be counted on to deliver the occasional explosive game (a la TB and BUF) like the top rushers?

adamprez2003 likes this.
  12. Larry Little

Larry Little Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Nashville, TN
    I have no doubt that Wake will pile up the sacks when he's given opportunities to rush the passer. It's the other 50% of his game I'm concerned with.

Zeke0123 likes this.
  13. dolfan22

dolfan22 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

18 regular season games in the CFL , be interested to know his snap counts for his 2 seasons up here ......

14. Anonymous

Anonymous Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Jul 5, 2009
    Wake is going to be what the Jets wanted Gholston to be. A pass rushing demon.

ToddsPhins likes this.
  15. Phinatic425

Phinatic425 MIA State of Mind

Feb 19, 2010
    Upper Left Corner
    Wake is a man-child!

16. adamprez2003

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    lol. gholston is tearing it up in camp. he may yet salvage his career

17. CD13

CD13 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 13, 2007
    Vestal, NY
    I take the over on 12 sacks.

18. Pandarilla

Pandarilla Purist Emeritus

Sep 10, 2009
    Boone, NC
    He was held so much last year it was ridiculous. If he starts to get the calls, he'll be unstoppable.

19. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    VG is a 264 pd DE in a 3-4 adamp..

As for Wake, is anyone surprised? I notice he has bulked up a bit, which I'm dubious about, but we all saw what we saw last yr.

McCoy coming to life today was a great sign, Misi is a fine player, but he moves so well I'd almost like to see him at ILB in Nolan's 2-4-5 package and we all have watched Charlie Anderson for two years now, he is not a passrusher.

McCoy has better passrushing tools than Charlie Anderson..whose claim to fame was the Bucs game, but between Wake and Anderson, they literally had 15 pressures against a terrible offensive line.

20. Sceeto

Sceeto Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2008
    New York
    VG is a 264 pd bench warmer.

ToddsPhins likes this.
  21. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    No disrespect but I think Long was pretty descriptive in what he said.... kinda hard to BS in detail like that if you're just pulling it out your keester.

22. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    I think you might be over-analizing. I would have to believe his primary role is as a pass rushing menace.... just like some of the other elite pass rushers in the league. I'm not saying the other aspects are insignificant, but I don't think he has to be a complete player to have a major impact if Nolan plays him to his strengths.

ssmiami likes this.
  23. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    I have to point to guys like Elvis Dumervil, Demarcus Ware and Joey Porter back when he was having his huge year.

When you have a pass rusher of that caliber in a 3-4, the teams tend not to drop him. These are all guys that rush the passer on something like 85% of all pass plays. When you see the skills that Wake has developed, there's no reason not to classify him in that category and do the same with him.

Stopping the run will be really important for Wake. But the coverage thing...a little overblown. It's just not his role. But where Joey Porter's coverage deficiencies COULDN'T be covered up because the ILB to his side was the slow Akin Ayodele, now Wake has Karlos Dansby to his left.

ToddsPhins and ssmiami like this.
  24. dolfan22

dolfan22 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Padre , dubious in what regard?

Are you inferring steroids? Of course I can't definitively dismiss that , however Wake is one of THE most focused atheletes I think we have seen. I don't think Wake getting stronger , more in shape is out of the question , is it?

25. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Anyone else frustrated last year that cam wake was never seen on opponents field goal attempts...

WTH right?, I know our coaches were morons not to play him more, and they ****ed up, and they know they ****ed, but come on man...you've got to be able to project that 46 inch vertical and put his *** out there. Cat could block some kicks.

ToddsPhins likes this.
  26. DePhinistr8

DePhinistr8 Season Ticket Holder

Mar 24, 2008
    I'm surprised they don't use Langord there. I think he owns the NCAA record for blocked kicks (FG & PAT).

Puka-head likes this.