1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wait a second...the wildcat isn't new.

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by GISH, Nov 11, 2008.

1. GISH

GISH ~mUST wARN oTHERS~

Nov 23, 2007
    Over Yonder
    Didn't the Falcons pretty much run a wildcat offense with Mike Vick. They may have called him a quarterback, but he was simply the best wildcat of alltime.

Thoughts?

2. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    I don't believe so. The Falcons ran Quarterback options. The last team that I recall to use the Wildcat was the Jets last year. Leon Washington lined up in the direct snap for them.

3. TiP54

TiP54 Bad Reputation

Nov 25, 2007
    Live from the Internet.
    Panthers did it few times few years back.

4. GISH

GISH ~mUST wARN oTHERS~

Nov 23, 2007
    Over Yonder
    what i'm saying is, that Vick was a better runner than passer. And if you view him as a runningback. Then they are essentially running the wildcat on every single play.

5. Die_Nasty

Die_Nasty Well-Known Member

May 16, 2008
    West Palm Beach, FL
    Unfortunately there is more to the wildcat than having the RB take a direct snap.

GARDENHEAD and funkdat like this.
  6. Die_Nasty

Die_Nasty Well-Known Member

May 16, 2008
    West Palm Beach, FL
    Now if they used an unbalanced line and had a QB out as a Wide Out it would be comparable.

7. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    If they did'nt they sure as heck should of....

He will get his chance again....man, what a player....what a waste

8. NJFINSFAN1

NJFINSFAN1 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 24, 2007
    Northwest New Jersey
    The wildcat has been around since the first football game ever played. Its just coming back again.

Themole and GISH like this.
  9. Conuficus

Conuficus Premium Member Luxury Box

Dec 8, 2007
    Well away from here
    Yeah it is just like fashion. Someone call me when the miniskirt becomes all the rage again. Dam those were nice days. :yes:

10. Zod

Zod Ruler of the Universe

Nov 25, 2007
    It's not about a rusher. The "wildcat" is a series based offense. By series I mean that each play call shows an opening for another play during the current play.

The "power play" is the base play for the entire offense. This is why you see Brown fake the sweep handoff and run right so often. That is the power play. If the phins were more adept at running this offense Brown would actually read the defensive end to the sweep side. He doesn't read. The sweep handoff is called or the power play is called. Teaching the read and implementing the read takes too much practice time.

When the first "power" play is run, you should look at the playside end. Is he squeezing the C gap? If so, the sweeper should have gotten the handoff. If the first play run is to the sweeper and the DE continues straight upfield to stop the play, the C gap was open.

On the other side of the ball is the backside end and backside linebacker. If the backside end pursues flat down the line of scrimmage, an outside reverse play is available. If the backside linebacker fills the cutback versus the power play, the counter (to the C gap) is available.

Getting back to the power play......

If the playside end squeezes C gap and the playside linebacker fills C gap versus the power, the strong safety or playside corner has containment responsibility. If the corner has containment it would also be evident on the sweep. A "power pass" should be the next call. The offense fakes the sweep action and throws it over the top to the receiver on the sweep side. The reverse opens the same play action pass to the backside of the formation.

There is a littany of opportunity for the offense utilizing this particular offense. On every play called out of the formation, Dan Henning is NOT watching the ball carrier. He should be watching the defenses origninal alignment. He should be watching the playside end. He should be watching the backside linebacker. He should be watching the backside end. Of course he can't watch them all. The play caller is usually responsible for watching the playside. In other words Dan Henning has his eyes on the playside hole. He sees the DT, the DE, and the linebacker on the playside when the power play is called. He sees the playside DE, the linebacker, the corner or strong safety when sweep is called. Another offensive assistant is watching the secondary and the backside. They inform Henning when the see unsound football from the backside.

There are many books written about single wing football. I advise that everyone read at least one. The offense isn't about a quarterback because a quarterback did not exist. It's not about a running back. It's not about any one single player. It's about the offense. Single Wing or "series based offense" differs from your typical "pro style" offense.

The I formation was instituted because it threatened both sides of the ball with the same amount of power. More importantly it was about my linemen being better than your linemen.
    Wildcat or Single Wing does not rely upon mine being better than yours. Single Wing does not block solid, it blocks at angles. The "I" says that my back is better than your backs. Single Wing doesn't rely upon a better back, it has relied upon an advantage such as misdirection or more recently - speed sweeps. Over the years, the "I" has made many tailbacks famous. When all things become equal, the "I" makes for the most boring football in the world.

Perhaps the following can best illustrate how we ended up with "wildcat" in our playbook. Before Chad Pennington was on the roster the staff and the veterans knew that we would not be able to line up and punch people in the mouth by running a the "pro style" offense. We can't run because our passing game poses no threat. "Wildcat" provides our threat. It gives us an edge. Rather than prepare to place 8 and 9 in the box, teams must prepare for a spread single wing offense. The first issue is in alignment responsibility. The second issue is assignment. Having only a week to prepare, defenses cannot vary their techniques to a large degree. Many teams have no resource to gauge past success as they have no college or high school coaches on staff. They may only have NFL coaches with 20 or more years of experience in the NFL. Nothing like the Wildcat has been run in the NFL with any consistency since the 1960's. In the 1950's, the New York Giants won with their T formation which was an extension of single wing football. It wasn't until the 1960's that the T faded from the league.

11. dolfan06

dolfan06 New Member

May 19, 2008
    Arkansas
    actually the dolphins are running a version of the "wildcat" this was a brainchild of david lee who coached at arkansas last year, its actually the "wildhog" which features 2 backs instead of one and the QB is split wide.

12. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Pop Warner in 1907 right?

13. Sceeto

Sceeto Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2008
    New York
    Ha Ha! Good one! Yes! Those days were very nice. I've been eagerly waiting on that return myself. =D

14. funkdat

funkdat New Member

Dec 12, 2007
    The post funk era
    It was 1st called the wildcat, not the wildhog.

David LEE who coach another team called................" The wildcats " were the 1st to run his version of the single wing offense.I think the "The wildcats" were a high school team, not 100% sure.

When he started running it at Arkansas he named it after the team he was working for, and that's how the name "wildhog" came about and it was after the wildcat...................and that's , the rest of the story.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2008
  15. mullingan

mullingan New Grandbaby Pic!!!

Nov 27, 2007
    Gainesboro, TN
    Paul Harvey is that you?!?!?!

16. PhinishLine

PhinishLine Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Maryland
    I'm 27 and I assure you, the miniskirt is still alive and well my friend.

17. DonShula84

DonShula84 Moderator Luxury Box

Jan 3, 2008
    Did people still think it was new? :confused2:

18. funkdat

funkdat New Member

Dec 12, 2007
    The post funk era
    Yes, alive and doing very well.:knucks:

19. dolfan06

dolfan06 New Member

May 19, 2008
    Arkansas
    but if you check, the QB is not split wide as a receiver in the "wildcat". he's on the sidelines watching.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wildcat_offense

20. funkdat

funkdat New Member

Dec 12, 2007
    The post funk era
    Ummmm i'm kind of not sure what you saying...........Chad is on the field when we run the "wildcat" and is lined up as a WR.

21. funkdat

funkdat New Member

Dec 12, 2007
    The post funk era
    In that link where it say Steve Bush,,,,,,Thats B.S.They are talking about David Lee.

22. Zod

Zod Ruler of the Universe

Nov 25, 2007
    Lee accepted a position with the Dallas Cowboys in 2003. In 2006 his role with the Cowboys increase as he became the quarterbacks coach. Following his fourth year with the Cowboys as offensive quality control, Lee returned to the University of Arkansas as offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach in 2007.

Lee had nothing to do with the offense being instituted at Arkansas. It was there when he arrived in 2007. Gus Malzahn brought the offense to Arkansas along with two prized high school players in 2005 creating a soap opera-like atmosphere in Arkansas for the next two years. David Lee was brought in to replaced Gus Malzahn in 2007. It was too late. Houston Nutt and the Arkansas staff was released after the 2007 campaign.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76A82ANqKec]YouTube - Gus Malzahn interview on ESPN about Wildcat package[/ame]

23. funkdat

funkdat New Member

Dec 12, 2007
    The post funk era
    Looks like them Pregame shows lied to me again.

24. dolfan06

dolfan06 New Member

May 19, 2008
    Arkansas
    thats exactly what i'm saying, chad is lined up as a wide receiver, in the "wildcat" the QB is not on the field, he's watching, thus the wild hog. david lee did not start the wild hog, he just turned sparano on to it.:up:

25. funkdat

funkdat New Member

Dec 12, 2007
    The post funk era
    ok...............

26. dolfan06

dolfan06 New Member

May 19, 2008
    Arkansas
    not arguing with ya, i just live in arkansas!

PEACE OUT FRIEND!

27. late again

late again Senior Member

Nov 24, 2007
    :confused2:

28. funkdat

funkdat New Member

Dec 12, 2007
    The post funk era
    I wasn't arguing ether.