1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VY may not want to play football anymore

Discussion in 'Other NFL' started by Jackson, Sep 9, 2008.

1. Jackson

Jackson Bruce Banner

Mar 24, 2008
    Connecticut/Florida
    Young’s mother says Titans QB needs ‘love and support’ | www.tennessean.com | The Tennessean
    A psychologist was among those who met with Young at his Brentwood home on Monday, and what she concluded and told team officials led to a bizarre, 24-hour period.On Monday, he indicated to those around him he didn’t want to play football any more.

From the way everything sounds, Vince Young just doesn't like the lifestyle and pressure of being a pro athlete. I am sure we can all understand. After all we do have our very own Longhorn Superstar who just didn't want to play in the NFL and put up with all in entails. This isn't the first time Young has thought about leaving the NFL and maybe it is something he should really consider. As long as he plays in this league he will be under the spotlight. He was a high draft pick with loads of talent and plays the most critical position in all of sports. For people like VY and Ricky the NFL just might not be what they were cut out for. Its hard for me to understand that they have played football for their whole lives, strived to be at this level and then decide its not for them. Although its hard to grasp, it does in a way make me respect them more. Maybe a change of scenery (new team) will do him good. If not, he can always walk away knowing he made it to the NFL and realized it just wasn't for him.

Anyone know Ricky's Cell number?

brandon27 and alen1 like this.
  2. sking29

sking29 What it takes to be cool

Dec 9, 2007
    East Tennessee
    In life it is all about being happy so if I were Young and was done I would quit and give the Titans back what money I owed them. More and more it seems that Young just isn't cut out for the NFL lifestyle. Once again I say I wish him well and he should just do what makes him happy.

This will suck huge for Titans fans if he walks though.

Skeet84 and unluckyluciano like this.
  3. texanphinatic

texanphinatic Senior Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    Was just reading on ESPN that the drama seemed to be overstated. Apparently after the game he left without leavinga contact, but according to his agent was off at a friends watching football and eating wings. He showed up to the training facilty after that.

A weird saga but I dont think anything comes of it. Still, the Titans fans are MORONS for booing him. What the hell? OK, so hes not Peyton Manning. But you know, hes still young (no pun) and hes not a traditional QB. Hes generally not gonna beat you throwing a traditional drop back offense. But guess what, they got a win. They have been to the playoffs. Their team has improved since last year. Their QB has singlehandly won a college champ. just about. CHILL OUT and let your QB play!

brandon27 and alen1 like this.
  4. sking29

sking29 What it takes to be cool

Dec 9, 2007
    East Tennessee
    Living in Tennessee I can tell you that is 100% true. Although the Vols are way more popular around here (East TN that is).

5. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Good post Jackson. I have to agree with everything you said.

It really saddens me if this was to happen. I really hope that he can overcome this. I don't expect him to retire but its a possibility after it almost happened last year. Like I said in the other thread about this, he has had a rough life leading up to playing at the University of Texas. He was nearly killed as a little kid by a car and his father was a convicted felon.

What bothers me is that Tennessee fans boo him at games as texanphinatic said. I have knocked his performance(s) in the past and it may have been wrong but I'm not a fan of booing an individual. I want to say its disrespectful to one but I don't know if I want to label it that. They know this guy has had pressure-troubles before, yet they do this.

As a fan, I hope he can get past this and continue his career. Looking at it from a personal standpoint, I hope he can make the right decision with his life, whether its to continue playing or to retire. I wish him the best and hope he makes the decision that he feels is right.

Jackson likes this.
  6. Brown42000

Brown42000 Chillin

Nov 24, 2007
    RI
    Its to bad because he had potential and that Rose Bowl game against USC was one of the if not the best game I have ever seen and was without a doubt the greatest performance I have ever seen from a player on any level.

I wish him good luck on whatever he plans to do. The last thing you want to see is for him to hurt himself because he is so unhappy.

I can see many Titans' fans being furious about this.

7. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Somewhere, KB21 is smiling like the cat who caught the canary...

V Young should "chat" with RW.

8. Zeke0123

Zeke0123 message board ******* Club Member

Nov 22, 2007
    He gave me the best single game performance I have ever seen from any player on any level...good luck Vince I hope you can figure out how to be happy.

9. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    He shouldn't of been in the league to begin with. People just now realize he's a mental midget. That huge 6 on the Wonderlic didn't tip anyone off?

10. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    The guy has talent. I think they should have considered moving him to Wide Receiver but that would have been difficult considering their QB situation at the time wasn't the best.

11. Brown42000

Brown42000 Chillin

Nov 24, 2007
    RI
    He gets injured easily as well and that doesn't bode well for someone who is going to be a receiver in the NFL.

12. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    That's true. Maybe he should have played basketball then lol. He was good at it in HS.

13. Brown42000

Brown42000 Chillin

Nov 24, 2007
    RI
    lol

14. BuckeyeKing

BuckeyeKing Wolves DYNASTY!!!!

Dec 6, 2007
    Well he should put off until the end of the season. Don't pull a Ricky VY.

15. Samphin

Samphin Κακό σκυλί ψόφο δεν έχει

He isn't a good Pro QB. I also think he owes it to his teammates to stick it out through this season. even if he rides the pine. He went through all of training camp, preseason and the start of the season, he doesn't get to quit now. At least not without returning all of his bonus money if you ask me.

Man, what is up with Longhorn players? Ricky Williams? Quitter/pothead. Vince Young? Possible quitter/possibly crazy. Cedric Benson? Certifiably crazy.

I wouldn't trust anyone coming out of that program for awhile...except Rod Wright. :)

16. King Felix

King Felix Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 6, 2007
    well, if you dont wanna play you dont wanna play. but you have to wait till the season is over...horrible draft choice he is just not a good qb. i used to hate him, but i feel bad for him now.

17. DonShula84

DonShula84 Moderator Luxury Box

Jan 3, 2008
    He was thinking of retiring after his rookie season also. I dont think it's that the NFL lifestyle doesnt suit him, I think it's that he sucks and he is starting to realize it.

18. finfansince72

finfansince72 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 18, 2007
    Columbia, South Carolina
    Its kind of weak to be considering retirement because fans booed you. I don't really blame the fans, Vince was taken too high and the expectations were crazy for someone that basically had to relearn how to play at the pro level. I was a big Young fan coming out of college, I really hoped he would pan out but its been a few years and he hasn't progressed at all.