1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Vonnie Holliday and the Fins Cap situation

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by KMoorez, Feb 10, 2009.

1. KMoorez

KMoorez New Member

Feb 10, 2009
    Long time lurker, first time poster.

And what inspired me to do so was the following debate. The Herald got the ball rolling with this article: http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/football/story/893530.html

One of the things discussed was Vonnie Holliday's future in Miami. He has 2 years left on his deal but has a high cap number. In doing research trying to learn the ins and outs of his deal, I came across this: http://www.thephinsider.com/2009/2/10/754214/more-on-the-vonnie-hollida

That second link does a good job of breaking down Vonnie's contract. And the bottom line is that keeping Vonnie on the roster is costing Miami $3.25 million in cap room in '09.

My question: is he worth it?

I'm on the fence. On one hand, he's a solid player and great leader (a team captain, even). But that's pricey for a mid 30s player.

2. UCF FINatic

UCF FINatic The Miami Dolphins select

Apr 17, 2008
    We need to keep him. He was very, very good last year and like you said is a very good leader to the team. He has a special role in the locker room and you can't replace someones presence that easily...

He will also play a vital role in helping our young D-Lineman develop. 3.25 Million is not that much against our cap either.

3. funkdat

funkdat New Member

Dec 12, 2007
    The post funk era
    We have a ton of cap room and VH is still playing well.

If we were over the cap or near it then i could see this conversation having more merit.

That and a'long with VH being such a good guy to have around the younger guys i could see no way he's not back here next year.

4. late again

late again Senior Member

Nov 24, 2007
    If we let Holliday go then we're going to be dangerously thin at DE. I would hope we keep the guy around at least one more year.

5. arsenal

arsenal Sunglasses and advil

Nov 26, 2007
    Commack, NY
    i dont think we'd be dangerously thin if we got rid of him... we have merling, langford (who both showed great things as rookies and look to only improve), starks, wright... plus whoever we can pickup in FA/Draft

i personally dont want to get rid of him, hes a great veteran presence, and im sure would have no problem being a situational player if these younger guys are playing better than he is...

6. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    That's basically it, if Holliday didn't have leadership skills he'd be out the door. We've got 3 young ends who arent out of place starting.

The new coaching staff appears not to be too fond of Rodrique Wright though, there is probably a good chance they'll find a developmental guy to be the #4 or #5 DE.

djphinfan likes this.
  7. anlgp

anlgp ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A

I have the solution.

Cut Wilford to free up some cap (we'll take a hit, too..) and use that cap space on Holliday.

:shifty:

Seriously though.

FinSane and Agua like this.
  8. New Era

New Era Waterboy

Nov 28, 2007
    If we cut Wilford...it cost us 6 million this season.

That would mean VH is a 9.25 million dollar player by your thoughts... ;)

I don't see VH sticking around this season. Miami will want to use his money on another position maybe...LB, CB, S, DT... who knows.

But I think we are going to lose a captain...sucks, but it is business.

9. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

I don't agree, or else why have they kept him around all year, mostly inactive? Apparently they see some skills there worth working with.

10. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

Even though he is 33, he really hasn't slowed down since we signed him. IMO he is still our best DL. If it was up to me, we keep him, at the very least through 2009.

11. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    I dont think they cut him..to schrewd a move after last season sucess.

I would give him one more year, but i do want merling on the field full time.

12. finsgirlie

finsgirlie break my Luxury Box

Dec 2, 2007
    Fantasy Land
    no way old school is going anywhere. i mentioned this in an earlier thread but i'll mention it again...every game you can see him and coach chatting, high fiving, etc on the side lines. i think he would even negotiate to stay if it became an obligation. he's an intricate part to the team and no way is he going anywhere. IMO of course :lol:

dolphindebby and funkdat like this.
  13. FinSane

FinSane Cynical Dolphins Fan

Dec 1, 2007
    Melbourne, Fl
    lol since you live across from the facility youre our trusted source right?

Amanda should work for ESPN

14. finsgirlie

finsgirlie break my Luxury Box

Dec 2, 2007
    Fantasy Land
    are you mocking me? cuz that's not cute at all :angry:

15. FinSane

FinSane Cynical Dolphins Fan

Dec 1, 2007
    Melbourne, Fl
    no i thought it was funny

ok were going to amanda in davie on the dolphins situation:

"well clearly the dolphins are going to resign vernon carey i saw him make a peanut butter and jelly sandwhich for coach soparno for lunch today."

i love you
    :up:

16. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Why would they have kept him inactive if they thought there was skills worth working with? They were will to rotate in linemen they signed off the streets, some they cut immediately after playtime, and the only time they would put Wright on the field was when they had little choice?

Wright's JAG, he'll probably be replaced by someone like Stephen Bowen.

17. dolphindebby

dolphindebby Season Ticket Holder Luxury Box

Nov 26, 2007
    GA
    I'm with you. I really hope he stays. I think he's good for the team. Plus, he's a darn good player!

finsgirlie likes this.
  18. pocoloco

pocoloco I'm your huckleberry Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    North Chicagoland
    I think you can move forward and sign Chris Canty and trade Vonnie for a 4th or 5th