1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Vitamin D: An inexpensive anti-cancer drug?

Discussion in 'Science & Technology' started by Celtkin, Jun 7, 2009.

1. Celtkin

Celtkin <B>Webmaster</b> Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    46.73° N, 117.00° W
    The miracle "drug"? Vitamin D.

http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/WhosCounting/story?id=7766673&page=1

The recommended daily allowance of vitamin D is 400 I.U. Though vitamin D is fat soluble and can be toxic at high levels, it is considered safe at levels below 77,000 I.U. per day*.

*Risk assessment for vitamin D*

2. azfinfanmang

azfinfanmang Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Interesting!

I also find Vitamin B to be an incredible natural pick-me-up (Hence the 5 hour energy drink)

Guess it just goes to show you, once again my momma was dead on right :up:

gafinfan and Celtkin like this.
  3. brandon27

brandon27 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    My doctor has had me taking vitamin D, 1000 IU's a day for about 2-3 years now. Doesn't really make me feel any different, there was another reason aside from this that he has me taking it too, but I don't recall. I just do as I'm told :lol:

Celtkin likes this.
  4. peastri

peastri iD'Artiste Luxury Box

Mar 25, 2008
    Sydney, Australia
    This is very interesting, because the sun is one of the greatest causes of cancer down here, not sure what your statistics are over there but here, skin cancer is a massive problem. I doubt it's the vitamin d that it provides that causes it (though if these findings are accurate overexposure to vitamin D could be part of the cause), just ironic is all :yes:

Celtkin likes this.
  5. Celtkin

Nov 22, 2007
    46.73° N, 117.00° W
    True Penny, vitamin D does not cause cancer but UV rays from the sun can. Vitamin D is made naturally by our bodies when we are exposed to the sun but UV rays can also cause mutagenesis of DNA which leads to cancers.

Many lifestyles changes such as working indoors, less time outside due to concerns about UV damage, etc have led to a decrease to naturally occurring vitamin D in our systems - thus the need for supplements.

gafinfan and peastri like this.
  6. azfinfanmang

azfinfanmang Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    So you are saying:

If we are used to being outside, our bodies actually make more Vitamin D (Survival of the fittest stuff, I think somebody wrote a book about that :shifty:), but if we are used to indoors, our body doesnt produce as much?

The human body is truley the Ultimate Mechanism...hands down......well that and the Gyroscope

gafinfan and Celtkin like this.
  7. Celtkin

Nov 22, 2007
    46.73° N, 117.00° W
    Yep -- :)

Also, add this to the "coolness" of evolution: If you are outside more, you have higher melanin in your skin which reduces DNA damage because the pigment reduces the amount of UV rays that penetrates your skin (unless you are "fair skinned = red hair, blonde hair, etc).

azfinfanmang likes this.
  8. FinSane

FinSane Cynical Dolphins Fan

Dec 1, 2007
    Melbourne, Fl
    so eat your dairy products, kids

Celtkin likes this.
  9. Celtkin

Nov 22, 2007
    46.73° N, 117.00° W
    Dairy product are fortified with Vitamin D. Your best bet is to feed on fish high in D3 :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vitamin_D

FinSane likes this.
  10. CrunchTime

CrunchTime Administrator Retired Administrator

Nov 23, 2007
    I was reading the other day that Vitamin D or the lack of it may have been one of the reasons why our skins turned white as homo sapiens moved north out of africa.

Black people dont manufacture enough of it because they are exposed to the sun more than people who live in the cold regions.

The theory has some holes in it but its interesting nonetheless.

It has been proven that all modern humans are descended from those black skinned emmigrants from Africa.They have found a prehistoric african type skull in Romania so it fits.

azfinfanmang and gafinfan like this.