1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Vista wireless networking?

Discussion in 'Questions and Answers' started by DaFish, Dec 13, 2008.

1. DaFish

DaFish Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2007
    Myrtle Beach, SC
    This one is for the fellow techies on this board.

Has anyone run into a problem with Windows Vista not seeing available wireless networks?

I have ran into the same problem 3 times yesterday. The very first time I configured on a Vista laptop, it connected perfectly. However when I restart, it no longer detects any wireless networks. I have gone through all the typical stuff like making sure it is not software blocking it, disabling and re enabling the wireless NIC, ....blah blah blah. The only thing that works is uninstalling the wireless card and reinstalling the drivers. However as soon as I reboot....I am back to square one. It will not detect any wireless network. Anyone else having this problem?

2. FinsPensFan

FinsPensFan Professional Slacker

Dec 21, 2007
    Wheeling, WV
    I'm having similar issues with Vista and a N Router. If I log off, I lose my connection, if I reboot same thing. I have to disconnect and reconnect, and it takes forever.

3. DaFish

DaFish Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2007
    Myrtle Beach, SC
    Vista is trash! There is no excuse to charge what they charge for a Beta OS.
    Even if it is a driver problem with the hardware manufacturers, make sure your **** is right before you release it.

USArmyFinFan, WharfRat and padre31 like this.
  4. CrunchTime

CrunchTime Administrator Retired Administrator

Nov 23, 2007
    Some laptops have a feature which disconnects the available wireless networks report unless its activated .

I have a wireless hotspot finder program installed in addition to the one my HP has as standard.

It maps out the hotspots in a 2 dimension map so you know which way to go to get close to one.

DaFish and like2god like this.
  5. like2god

like2god Typical white person Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    CNY
    Cool, what's the name of it?

Also I've found that if I lose my wireless connection, a simple thing to do is unplug the router's power supply for about 30 seconds and then plug it back in. Works every time.

6. CrunchTime

Nov 23, 2007
    Google for Makayama Easy Wi Fi radar

like2god likes this.
  7. NJFINSFAN1

NJFINSFAN1 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 24, 2007
    Northwest New Jersey
    I have never had a problem with my Laptop and Vista, and I never have a problem with the network, even when I travel.

8. like2god

like2god Typical white person Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    CNY
    Thanks. I checked it out but can't use it because it doesn't work with Vista. :sad:

9. DaFish

DaFish Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2007
    Myrtle Beach, SC
    The only thing is that is doesn't show any available networks. There are like 5 other routers I pick up before the wireless just totally drops.

10. anlgp

anlgp ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A

I'm sorry I can't help ya out dafish.

I have XP for Windows.

11. dolphan117

dolphan117 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 24, 2007
    I have vista on my laptop and its done pretty well. The only problem I had is that I set up my home network as an unsecured network when I was first settting up the router and then of course changed it to a password protected one.

My laptop always tried to connect to the unsecured network, which was not even there, even when I told it to us the secured network as the primary and always connect to it. Later on I restored a ghost that I had of my C drive because my system seemed a little slow and the network issue went away.

Never heard of what you are having though.

12. DaFish

DaFish Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2007
    Myrtle Beach, SC

Never had this problem either until yesterday. Two people at work had this problem and I was doing some side work for a couple last night and run into the same exact problem.

Service Pack 1 issue maybe??? They all have that in common. My XP machine worked on that network last night flawlessly.

13. DaFish

DaFish Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2007
    Myrtle Beach, SC
    I don't think I will ever own a Vista machine either.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2008
    azfinfanmang and WharfRat like this.
  14. CrunchTime

Nov 23, 2007
    Sorry.My bad .That was the old program that didnt work on Vista .The new program that does work is called Xirrus Wi Fi monitor

like2god likes this.
  15. DaFish

DaFish Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2007
    Myrtle Beach, SC
    I tried the 3rd party WiFi app that came preinstalled on the Toshiba I was working on. I think it is a driver problem although I could be wrong. From everything that I have read, most have discussed driver issues.

16. femalefinfan

femalefinfan Phillies fan Luxury Box

Nov 24, 2007
    Philth-a-delphia
    I had a similar problem with Vista and a laptop, but it was the wireless router not my hardware. Had to get a new box from verizon. Did you check the router? Good luck.

17. DaFish

DaFish Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2007
    Myrtle Beach, SC
    Yes. I had a XP machine connected to the router the entire time I was doing the work. Also there were several other routers in range. When the connection dropped, it didn't pick up any of the other routers either.

Thanks.

18. Muck

Muck Throwback Uniform Crusader Retired Administrator

Nov 25, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    Possible (albeit very remote) that there's some kind of incompatibility between your wireless card and the router. Or that the wireless card is defective (more common). You can troubleshoot this by disabling your onboard wireless card and installing a third party USB or PCMCIA wireless card (you can pick them up at Best Buy or whatever).

Also, and it sounds like you might have done this, swap the wireless app out. If you're using the manufacturer's app (in this case Toshiba) for to manage wireless connections, give control back to the OS (Vista) and see if it fares better.

19. unluckyluciano

unluckyluciano For My Hero JetsSuck

Dec 7, 2007
    if you have to re install your drivers it is probably something with the drivers have you tried updating them?
    What is probably happening is your drivers are entering some sort of state or you are causing the windows vista to enter some sort of state and rolling back the changes and reinstalling is the only way to get it back to a working state. AT least thats what I think.

20. DaFish

DaFish Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2007
    Myrtle Beach, SC
    Yep, updated the drivers. Maybe deleting the old ones and installing the updated one. I think Windows prompts and asks if you want to delete the old ones. I will try that tomorrow.

21. Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell Post Hard, Post Often Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    Maybe update the firmware on your router?

22. DaFish

DaFish Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2007
    Myrtle Beach, SC
    The laptop will not pick up other routers in range either. It's like the wireless adapter just dies. I would say it was a hardware problem but this is not the only laptop I am having this problem.

I am thinking if it was a router firmware problem, that I would still be able to see the other routers.

23. DaFish

DaFish Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2007
    Myrtle Beach, SC
    I knew I wasn't crazy. I troubleshoot networks everyday and I had never encountered this problem. I actually went back and fixed the other laptops I mentioned but this one would not connect for hell.

I worked with it for another 2 hours and broke down. I called Gateway support. Come to find out the hardware is faulty.

Damn I feel like an ***!

Thanks for everyones input!

dolphan117 likes this.
  24. unstoppablefnz

unstoppablefnz New Member

Aug 11, 2008
    United States
    I have to do the same thing, but I don't have to re boot. It is probably just the opperating system. Vista is a real big pain. I've had my laptop for less than 6 months and when it crashed, I took it to Bestbuy and they told me that it was my opperating system ie. Vista. I had to get it re installed twice.:angry:..

25. DaFish

DaFish Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2007
    Myrtle Beach, SC
    Watch out for Best Buy. I am not speaking for every BB but in my experience that's what they tell you when they can't figure out a problem.

http://www.fpslabs.com/news/latest/geek-squad-and-firedog-tested

http://ask.slashdot.org/askslashdot/06/06/28/0034257.shtml

http://www.10tv.com/live/contentbe/EPIC_shim.php?story=sites/10tv/content/pool/200802/1623260031.html

"Most" of guys in those stores are not trained nor have the experience to work on PC's. Any time you have an interview for a tech job and the hiring manager calls a Dual Core processor a Double Core, you are in trouble.

Just a heads up. :up:

unstoppablefnz likes this.