1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Video: Cam Newton's San Diego interview and workout

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by DOLFANMIKE, Feb 22, 2011.

1. DOLFANMIKE

DOLFANMIKE FOOTBALL COACH 32 YEARS Luxury Box

Mar 22, 2008
    California
    Some of you had asked for a link to Newton's workout. The link is located on a So Cal sports radio website. Enjoy ~

[video]http://www.doublex1090.com/pages/xx1090tv#vmix_media_id=61818641[/video]

padre31 and Muck like this.
  2. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Impressive athlete coach...unimpressive workout..

3. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Thee...Ohio State University
    You must be a racist.

4. GISH

GISH ~mUST wARN oTHERS~

Nov 23, 2007
    Over Yonder
    I like his respect for greatness. That is a key ingredient.

5. Coral Reefer

Coral Reefer Premium Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Back in Miami
    I am a HUGE fan of this kid.

I hope his stock keeps rising, rising, rising...... right out of our reach.

6. bamadolphin

bamadolphin New Member

Jan 5, 2011
    didnt jamarcus russell do the same thing?

7. GISH

GISH ~mUST wARN oTHERS~

Nov 23, 2007
    Over Yonder
    that makes no sense. youre such a huge fan of his that you dont want him to play for the Dolphins? im all for taking a quarterback in the first round this year. right now i have gabbert over newton.

8. Coral Reefer

Coral Reefer Premium Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Back in Miami
    I was being facetious.

I am a fan in that I hope his stock skyrockets so we are not in position to make what I feel will be a mistake.

I don't think there is superstar potential with any of the 1st round QB's this year.
    Just not impressed. Gabbert would be palatable but anyone else I see as fools gold.

I'm a fan of trading down picking up an extra pick and utilizing a 2nd or 3rd on some of the other QB talent that would be available at those spots.

ToddsPhins likes this.
  9. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    and?

10. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    lol..

The workout is all part of the plan, and a very smart one, showcase the beautiful raw talent of a superior athlete.

11. DOLFANMIKE

DOLFANMIKE FOOTBALL COACH 32 YEARS Luxury Box

Mar 22, 2008
    California
    It sure seems to me that a quality coaching staff could do something productive with a player of that discription at almost any position, inclduing QB. Especially when the kid is not only a beautiful raw talent but also has a fantastic size / speed ratio (6'5 250). I'm assuming we are all saying the problem is "what's between his ears"... Why can't that be coached up? Is the kid just dumb? Or is his problem something else?

Frankly after watching how POORLY we have brought along our QB's (Henne, White) and our offense in general I'm alot more concerned with how well we'd coach Newton than I am about his ability to pick it up. He is a former NFL players kid. He has played in big games and won, and he has competed at several stages and been impressive. Again, I'd be more concerned with our lack of ability to bring him along than I would be his mental ability to grasp NFL QB expectations.

When we drafted Jake Long I thought it was the perfect fit. I had little doubt we'd coach him up and that all that raw talent would eventually put him among the best in the league on the OL. As for how we coach QB's, we may be the only staff in the league that could have screwed up Peyton Manning's career.

I have no problem having an athlete at QB. Reads arent as difficult to teach as many people presume and although the game moves very quickly on the pro level, stats indicate that guys that can move their feet can create more time and create more plays, in and out of the pocket.

I am so tired of wondering why we don't do fundemental schemes to bring our QB's along. If all we ever do is drop back and read we aren't doing much at all to make our QB's life easy nor putting them in situations that are easier to read than just standard reads based only on formations.

12. finsincebirth

finsincebirth Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2007
    What I like the most is he got rid of his little flick type motion, and has replaced it with a true follow through motion.

13. GISH

GISH ~mUST wARN oTHERS~

Nov 23, 2007
    Over Yonder
    Vince Young also played and won on the big stage. That translated into an NFL disaster.

Quarterbacks need a lot more than athletic ability. Way more.

It starts with the mentality. You need sound mental resolve. You won't know if your QB has it until he is in a very bad situation.

It takes determination, intelligence, quick decision making, great leadership, and a lot more.

14. MonstBlitz

MonstBlitz Nobody's Fart Catcher

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
  15. Silverphin

Silverphin Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Why not? One year at Auburn, lead them to a National Championship. Also has a JUCO Nat'l Championship to his credit. And quite frankly, he's be the talk of the town as far as the draft goes. On the college level, he is.

16. finsincebirth

Dec 1, 2007
    Sport is entertainment, and players are entertainers. What is wrong about what he said?

17. GRT8

GRT8 Premium Member Luxury Box

Mar 24, 2008
    Virgina
    I am not onboard either.:up:

padre31 likes this.
  18. MonstBlitz

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    To me the only thing he should be concerned with is figuring how how to play the sport at the next level. Until he proves he can do that he shouldn't be talking about being an icon or entertainer, because he'll be neither in the NFL if he cannot play. To me the quote seems to imply football isn't the only thing on his mind. It's a red flag, IMHO. Some of you may not think so and that's fine. But I'm not the only one who thinks this way, and I'm sure most NFL teams aren't thrilled to read that quote. It might not hurt him in the long run, but it sure doesn't help his cause.

19. finsincebirth

Dec 1, 2007

Case in point Tim Tebow. Tebow was an Icon before he was even drafted, and had the most jerseys sold before he even started training camp. He also publicly stated before the draft that he wan't to use his iconic status as a platform to reach people and continue to preach his message of faith and good character. He also said he wanted to be a minister when he was done, and implied that football was the stepping stone to that. Seems like he certainly had more on his mind.

20. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    yup Coach, as far as concerns between the ears and his mouth, lets just say, Iam thinking he might go third person on us next..lol

21. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
  22. Muck

Muck Throwback Uniform Crusader Retired Administrator

Nov 25, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    Pretty sure Andy Reid could figure out how to make this guy great.

DOLFANMIKE likes this.
  23. AdamC13

AdamC13 Well-Known Member

May 3, 2010
    100% sold on Cam Newton. #1 talent in this year's draft.

24. MonstBlitz

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    And I also wanted nothing to do with Tim Tebow.

25. Muck

Muck Throwback Uniform Crusader Retired Administrator

Nov 25, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    Concerns have to be between the ears, because he's better than Vince Young and Tebow were throwing the ball. Both of those guys had serious questions regarding their mechanics and accuracy. Newton's are more about footwork and taking snaps from under center. And that really isn't too much of an issue IMO as lots of guys learn how to do that.

dolfan22 likes this.
  26. bamadolphin

bamadolphin New Member

Jan 5, 2011
  27. resnor

resnor Derp Sherpa

Nov 25, 2007
    New Hampshire
    Neither did I...but he certainly made us both look a little foolish last year...Tebow did way better than I ever thought he would be able to do. I wouldn't be upset if we went with Newton in the draft.

28. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    We can just sign Russell..:lol:

All of this predraft stuff.

29. MonstBlitz

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    Well he had some nice games at the end of the season, but I'd say it's too early to make any judgments about his NFL career at this point in time.

I wouldn't be devastated if we drafted Newton if this regime feels like he can solve our QB issues. I'd be nervous about some of his off the field stuff and antics.

For those of you who want us to draft Newton, I guess you should be thrilled he made that quote as it might help him slide to a get-able position.

30. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    & he's available too!

31. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    Thursday, Buffalo Bills head coach Chan Gailey called Newton a “wildcat” quarterback because he played primarily out of the shotgun at Auburn and ran a lot out of that formation..

Are the innovators of the offense, The miami dolphins, thinking about going full wildcat offense? with Newton and Ronnie.?

32. MonstBlitz

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    Considering that the rest of the league seems to have caught up to the Wild Cat, and the fact that it has done more harm than good to our offense in the long run, let's hope not.

33. finsincebirth

Dec 1, 2007
    I see people saying just get Russel instead, but there is a big difference between Cam and Russel. Russel had no work ethic, the same couldn't be said of Cam.

34. Ricky'sBong

Ricky'sBong Reborn

Jan 5, 2011
    Vancouver, BC
    Im going to go with " he hasnt accomplished a god damn thing in the NFL yet" ?

35. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    Yes the NFL is the end-alll, be-all of everything in sports. College football isn't watched and followed by millions, most of whom could give two sh-ts about the NFL. No, that's definitely not true. So winning the Heisman Trophy, leading your team to an undefeated record in the toughest conference in college football, having men three times his age say that he's the best college football player they ever saw, with all those come-from-behind victories, going on to win the National Championship...psssh. Meaningless. Win an NFL game, son, only THEN can you be considered a sports icon.

Give me an effing break.

36. Two Tacos

Two Tacos Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 24, 2007
    I don't know that they caught to the "Wild Cat" as much as they caught up to the Miami Dolphins running game in general. For what ever reason.

37. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    CK, I know you love his game, but I cant believe your ok with his mouth man?..

38. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    What has he said? Did I miss something?

39. dolfan22

dolfan22 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

I may be wrong , but from what I understand , this issue is from him being asked about what the under armour deal is for him or what he wants it to be or arrive at. Taken in context ( if indeed that is where the quote is from ) is very different than stating that about his on field level of stature at this point , isn't it?

40. Ricky'sBong

Ricky'sBong Reborn

Jan 5, 2011
    Vancouver, BC
    I would think winning games in the NFL might be a big deal to a franchise about to drop 50 million bucks on the kid. You give me a break CK. Just because youre high on the kid doesnt mean he doesnt have things others dont like. What good is his Heisman and undefeated season at Auburn going to do for him moving forward in the NFL? Nothing.