1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Vic Fangio joins the Dolphins

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by bbqpitlover, Jan 29, 2023.

1. bbqpitlover

bbqpitlover Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2008
    Maine
    https://sports.yahoo.com/vic-fangio...-nfls-highest-paid-coordinator-193424845.html

Vic Fangio's ability to coach a defense has never been in doubt.

Fangio got a shot to be a head coach with the Denver Broncos and it didn't work out, but after he was fired it wasn't going to be long before he resurfaced as a coordinator.

The Miami Dolphins, looking to boost their defense, hired Fangio. They paid him well too.

Fangio joins the Dolphins and will be the NFL's highest-paid coordinator according to NFL Media's Tom Pelissero.

The Dolphins made the playoffs this season and had a close wild-card round loss to the Buffalo Bills. The offense improved a lot in head coach Mike McDaniel's first season on the job. The defense lagged behind. The Dolphins were 24th in points allowed and 18th in yards allowed. They fired defensive coordinator Josh Boyer after the season.

Fangio could change the Dolphins' defense in a hurry. He has spent 22 years as either a defensive coordinator or head coach. His defenses have finished in the top 10 of points allowed or yardage allowed 10 times. He was 19-30 in three seasons as Broncos head coach, but his defense wasn't the biggest problem in Denver.

The Dolphins are looking to take another step after a good growth season. They were willing to spend big to fix the defense.

2. Striking

Striking Junior Member

Apr 21, 2008
    Aurora, Colorado
    We need a couple of hard hitting cover linebackers and this defense will be legit top 5.

Irishman and dolphin25 like this.
  3. pumpdogs

pumpdogs Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2009
    delaware
    Great news!!!!

Irishman likes this.
  4. ExplosionsInDaSky

ExplosionsInDaSky Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2011
    This is a great hire!

Irishman likes this.
  5. Fishhead

Fishhead Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2016
    Yes it is, and kudos to those responsible for making this happen, and to Mr. Ross for opening up the checkbook.

6. Dorfdad

Dorfdad Well-Known Member

Dec 9, 2007
    We criticize Ross a lot around here, but when he does a good thing we should also acknowledged him. Good Job Ross

Irishman, Phin McCool and jdallen1222 like this.
  7. EasyRider

EasyRider New Member

Nov 14, 2020
    Ok, first order of business is a couple of good LBs and a new CB
    God I hope we have some sort of plan regarding Tua. If we don’t have a backup plan this hire will be a waste kind of because we are built to win NOW. It’s not like he’s gonna be here 10 years thru different regimes
    My offseason would be totally complete if McD hired himself a real NFL play caller and relieved himself of those duties and concentrated on being a HC and fix his guffaws

Last edited: Jan 30, 2023
    Irishman and Hooligan like this.
  8. mooseguts

mooseguts Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2018
    Hell yes great hire. When’s the last time our offense and defense was top 10?

Irishman likes this.
  9. cbrad

cbrad .

Dec 21, 2014
    1995, last year with Shula. Offense was #7 in points scored and defense #10 in points allowed. What's crazier is that the last time prior to 1995 we were top 10 on both offense and defense was 1984: #1 offense and #7 defense.

10. hitman8

hitman8 Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2016
    Great move, I love where we are now coaching wise.

11. Vertical Limit

Vertical Limit Senior Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Good job on Ross and Mcdaniels.. this is an excellent hire.. im interested to see what assistants Fangio brings with him. Hope he keeps Madison but if he doesnt ill trust him.

He also reunites with Chubb which hopefully it means we get more out of our investment.

Irishman, Phin McCool and dolphin25 like this.
  12. dolphin25

dolphin25 Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2014
    yes, that could be important. will be interesting to see how that plays out.

Irishman likes this.
  13. ripper1961

ripper1961 Active Member

Jan 13, 2014
    Is this actually a done deal?

Irishman likes this.
  14. Berezo

Berezo Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2012
    Atlanta, GA
    Apparently it isn’t

Irishman likes this.
  15. hitman8

Nov 11, 2016
    :headscratch::headwall: I knew it was too good to be true. Grier always manages to **** up somehow.

Irishman, resnor and dolphin25 like this.
  16. jdallen1222

jdallen1222 Well-Known Member

May 31, 2013
    Plantation, Fl
    Anyone other than 9ers beat reporters stating it isn't happening? If terms have been agreed to they're probably just waiting for the lawyers and paperwork to make it official.

17. OwesOwn614

OwesOwn614 Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2020

Irishman and resnor like this.
  18. StaleTacos

StaleTacos Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2022
    If this thing falls through....

19. Destroyer

Destroyer There for every play.

Oct 25, 2010
    Maryland
    Only the Dolphins would have this much non sense around a hire.

Irishman and resnor like this.
  20. The_Dark_Knight

The_Dark_Knight Defender of the Truth

Nov 24, 2007
    Rockledge, FL
    I was listening to Will Scott on Chat Sports and that’s his take on it. I hope that’s the case because if the Dolphins blow this and we don’t land Fangio, especially after it had been reported Fangio agrees to terms, the Dolphins are going to continue to be a toxic place for EXPERIENCED coaches.

Irishman, dolphin25 and resnor like this.
  21. OwesOwn614

OwesOwn614 Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2020
    Apparently, the report that he's not signing is a non-issue. Multiple reports from good sources indicate there's nothing to worry about.

Irishman likes this.
  22. Phin McCool

Phin McCool Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 2017
    United Kingdom
    The Dolphins are going to be a toxic place for Dolphins fans too. Now I'm a little worried. This would be the most Dolphins thing ever, top of a long, long list of Phins ****-ups. FFS!

23. ExplosionsInDaSky

ExplosionsInDaSky Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2011
    Look, this is happening. He's going to be our DC. I'm excited to see what he can do with the defense. We've got a lot of talent on that side of the ball and I think he'll get the most out our guys. Christian Wilkins, Chubb, Seiler, Davis, Ogbah if he comes back. Our D Line is already the strength of this team. I'm curious to see what Vic does with the linebackers. We're definitely going to sign someone via free agency. Devin Bush, I can see Lavonte David coming here even though he's older. Tremaine Edmunds from Buffalo might be worth a look. I have full confidence that he's going to fix that issue with the linebackers. I'm so excited about this defense already for next season. The goal should be to have plenty a system in place with plenty of depth.

24. KeyFin

KeyFin Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2009
    Okay, so they've agreed to terms but contracts haven't been signed yet. That's fairly normal- you talk 1st, sign after. Maybe it was a video interview or a meeting away from the offices. This doesn't worry me at all.

25. dolphin25

dolphin25 Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2014
    We need to see the contract :)

Irishman and OwesOwn614 like this.
  26. JJ_79

JJ_79 Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2012
    Germany
    Only thing that would worrie me is if the 49ers lose Ryans, that’s probably the only place I could see him going besides here.

Irishman and KeyFin like this.
  27. hitman8

Nov 11, 2016
    Yeah they are probably going to lose Ryans, and we are probably going to miss out on Fangio.

Seems to me Fangio is holding out for a better offer from San Fran once Ryans is gone. We are not his firsr choice and he is only considering us because of the money we threw at him.

This **** is unbelievable, only in Miami. And to think we could have had Fangio last year if it werent for idiot chris grier.

https://www.si.com/nfl/dolphins/.amp/news/miami-dolphins-vic-fangio-watch-continues

28. Fireland

Fireland Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2013
    He would have known the SF job was going to open up so all along that doesn't make sense. Ryans was always getting a head coach job.

I would have an easier time believing he changed his mind because of Sean Payton and maybe he wasn't expecting him to get a job.

29. Vertical Limit

Vertical Limit Senior Member

Nov 25, 2007
    I dont blame him, he can look like a genius coaching a team that has 5+ players that can be on the all defensive and even all pro teams.. or he can go with no tax and more comfortable living in Miami..

Irishman and hitman8 like this.
  30. JJ_79

JJ_79 Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2012
    Germany
    Don't think he will make more money in SF, it's just the better job and his girlfriend seems to live on the Westcoast and we never were his first choice anyway.

Irishman likes this.
  31. Fireland

Dec 29, 2013
    Then why agree with Miami assuming he did? He knew that job was going to open.

Irishman likes this.
  32. Berezo

Berezo Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2012
    Atlanta, GA
    I think its safe to say that we don't have him. I don't know what went on but this is typical dolphins bs that we have seen forever. Hope the front office knows which candidate we need next.

dolphin25 likes this.
  33. JJ_79

JJ_79 Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2012
    Germany
    Don't know, maybe money and leverage? Now with Payton in Denver it looks like the 49ers are not his only option.

34. EasyRider

EasyRider New Member

Nov 14, 2020
    Looks like SF
    I wouldn’t say this blew up in our face because the Organization never claimed he was signing here, just the hopeful fans
    By tomorrow I’m ready to move on to Desai and tell Fangio to hit the bricks

dolphin25 likes this.
  35. Tin Indian

Tin Indian Rockin' The Bottom End Club Member

Feb 10, 2010
    Palm Bay Florida
    And his Mother lives in Florida. so it's 6 of 1 half a dozen of the other when it comes to personal reasons I think.

We are just going to have to wait and see. However the Dolphins haven't brought any one else in since this last weekend they either KNOW he is signing in Miami or being extremely foolish in not continuing the search.

Unfortunately, I wouldn't exclude either possibility.

Irishman and JJ_79 like this.
  36. Fishhead

Sep 29, 2016
  37. MonstBlitz

MonstBlitz Nobody's Fart Catcher

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    What a cluster-F.

It makes sense though, if you think about it. When the deal with Miami was announced, it looked like Payton would not be returning to the sidelines, so I'm guessing he decided to take the money and the Miami gig. He probably agreed in principle, and while they were finalizing things, the Broncos news broke and the 49ers lost which opened up 2 new options.

I'd compare it to having a fantasy football trade worked out in principle with your buddy, but he hasn't officially clicked that "accept" button in your league yet. While you're waiting for your buddy to accept, he gets a better deal and accepts that.

Super greasy, and screw him if that's the case. He's got the right for sure, but with a small hiring pool of 32 teams, you would think coaching candidates wouldn't be so quick to burn bridges with these types of antics.

Edited to add:

You've gotta be a believer in karma in these types of situations. A year ago, my wife and I made an offer on a vacation property in NY and the seller accepted. There is a 3 day attorney approval window in NY. The seller received a "better" offer while ours was still being approved. They accepted and instructed their attorney to reject our offer. It's generally frowned upon, and considered bad practice in the real estate world but perfectly legal. We didn't lose too much sleep over it and moved on.

A couple months later our agent came back to us and said the deal fell through, and the "better" offer they got came from a couple who had just divorced and could no longer purchase the property. Seller wanted to know if we were still interested. Of course, we politely told them to pound salt.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2023
  38. Sceeto

Sceeto Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2008
    New York
    If this doesn’t go through, then this has to be the final nail in Grier’s coffin, right?

Last edited: Feb 1, 2023
  39. Fishhead

Sep 29, 2016
    I would also throw this out there: despite what some have claimed, Miami is not at fault here. They interviewed the guy, made an offer and it was reported by others that a deal was in place. Now Fangio is dragging his feet for whatever reason and appears to be considering other options. It doesn’t seem like it’s a ploy for more money, as the Dolphins offer was supposedly enough to make him the highest paid assistant in football.

PS. If he spurns our offer, whatever team he goes to gets added to my hated teams list.

PPS. If he goes to Denver, I say we immediately interview their DC, who did a great job with their D this season.

Irishman, dolphin25 and Tin Indian like this.
  40. Fireland

Dec 29, 2013
    Obviously its the Dolphins and its hard to give them the benefit of the doubt when they seem to constantly find themselves in embarrassing situations but its hard to really think they didn't anything wrong here.

Grier has plenty of real blunders without handing him undeserved ones

Tin Indian and Fishhead like this.