1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Various Free agent headlines

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Ohio Fanatic, Jul 23, 2011.

1. Ohio Fanatic

Ohio Fanatic Twuaddle or bust Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    As we wait for the players to get their crap together, some mildly interesting headlines on free agents:

http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2011/07/free_agent_running_back_ahmad.html

Will be interesting if we end up swapping running backs with the Giants. I remember in the Marino years, we had some good FAs from NFC East. Loved having Ingram, Byars and Jackson on our team.

I think this one just gave Padre an instant woody. If that scenario pans out and we can pick up Orton like we did Chad Pennington, I'll dance the jig with Padre. That's a win-win situation, even if we only hold onto him for a couple of years.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_18524569?source=rss

Just an article by Armando, so it does hold a lot of weight with all of us (note sarcasm). But I do agree with him here

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/dolphins_in_depth/2011/07/vince-young-spent-time-thisoffseason-in-south-florida-where-he-was-seen-at-more-than-one-charitable-function-that-included-ot.html

Sceeto likes this.
  2. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Mando writes off Vince Young to easily, look at his last two yrs worth of performance then form an opiinion, to me it is clear his trend line is upwards.

3. Trowa

Trowa A world of pain

May 8, 2008
    He's definately trending upwards in quitting on his team, cracking under pressure, being a polarizing prescence in the locker room, being a dick to his coach, being overly sensitive, suicide attempts (or cries for attention, however you look at it), and other emo activities.

phinnhedd likes this.
  4. Ohio Fanatic

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    No one is arguing that. It's the maturity factor, which is arguably the worst of any QB since Ryan Leaf

5. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    IDK, I think there is a difference between 06-08 and 2010 VY, he stormed out of the locker room after Fish wouldn't put him back into a game they had to win and I don't have a problem with that as he wants to play, and to win.

6. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Waah, and Mike Vick brutally killed his own dogs, some in a manner so shocking I'd rather not re-read about it.

But now, he finished runner up in the MVP voting.

:words: :words:

In the NFL, if you win, that is all that matters.

7. Ohio Fanatic

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    Yes, and it took Mike Vick spending time in prison to wake up and reform. And I still don't believe it, I think Vick is "reformed" because he lost all his money. So, the question is, what triggers VY's turnaround? A new multimillion dollar contract? Doubt it

Trowa likes this.
  8. GridIronKing34

GridIronKing34 Silently Judging You

Nov 22, 2007
    Denver, CO
    You're comparing on the field issues with off the field issues.

Trowa and Stitches like this.
  9. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    IDK bro, that is to say no one, including myself, knows what is cooklng in his kitchen.

Do think he has the two elements a successful Qb needs, Desire and Ability, for me looking at him leaving the locker room in TN is a net positive.

10. Ohio Fanatic

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    IMO, Barring a life changing event, People don'T change. I really worry that if we bring and VY and he's not the starter, he'll revert back to form. it's a big risk. A least with Orton, you know he will be professional, VY has shown zero ability to handle adversity

steveincolorado likes this.
  11. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    Orton would be my top choice as a FA. I wouldn't trade a high pick for him (3rd or higher), but as a FA he's a great option.

Miamifins854 likes this.
  12. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    I think generally that is a truism, also think some folks mature at different rates, VY the passer turned the corner two seasons ago, where VY the person is at is anyone's guess.

Also think VY bring unpredictability on the field which in the AFCE is hugely important.

13. Ohio Fanatic

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    Valid point Padre. I just think we are on th fence right now as a team. The righ move pushes us to the playoffs, the wrong move sends us to 6-8 wins every year. I just have a nightmar scenario that VY plays well for a few weeks, but then gets hammered by th patsies and jets, imploded and takes the entire offense, including B Marshall, with him. We need a leader.

14. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    IMO the difference 8 or 9 wins (a good defense and running game gets you that) and contending for a SB year in and year out is a franchise QB. I don't mind Young or Orton or any of these guys as long as we don't trade for them and hamstring ourselves in the draft. I actually think that Henne is at least 50/50 to win the starting job regardless of whom we could reasonably bring in.

texanphinatic and Ohio Fanatic like this.
  15. Vinny Fins

Vinny Fins Feisty Brooklyn dolfan ️‍

Oct 26, 2009
    Bklyn
    I cant wait til we sign another QB just so Padre can put the Vince Young Wardrum away.

padre31 and Trowa like this.
  16. Ohio Fanatic

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    Well, to move away from the VY discussion, if we end up getting Orton for very little, we'll be in good shape. I agree with RAF that there's no guarantee Orton beats out Henne, but if that's the case, we end up with two decent QBs that can play well when injuries come. Pretty exciting thought

17. phinnhedd

phinnhedd Reality.

Oct 10, 2008
    Port Saint Lucie, FL
  18. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    Vince Young might be the most accurate deep thrower in the NFL, and in 2010 he was showing signs that might be starting to 'get it' on the short game and operating an offense. Of course, easier to throw the deep ball when everyone's worried about Chris Johnson. But still, 57% accuracy on the deep ball is ridiculous. Most QBs are happy if they have 40% accuracy at that depth.

It's just too bad that his personality disorders are so severe. Closest thing to Jeff George that I can think of...a rare case where elite talent might actually be there, but personality is canceling it. A lot of the cases people cite for that (e.g. Ryan Leaf) are misguided because in actuality they didn't have elite talent, not the kind that shows up and performs on an NFL football field.

19. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    This may sound weird OF (in MA..:lol:) but the Defense needs a Qb they can believe in to reach to level they are capable of, when the D is confident the Qb can pick them up it changes the way a Defense plays and thinks and the amount of confidence they have in shutting down an opponent.

2nd pats game, when Henne threw the Int to start the game, then RW fumbled, you could literally see the air go out of the Defense, the only D player who kept on bringing it was Cam Wake, pretty much everyone else had one foot on the bus to GTHO of foxboro.

20. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Well to me the difference is Young's battles with Fisher were not schematic or what have you, Young wanted to play in every game, George was just a psycho crybaby who vastly overrated his talent and was not afraid to act in his own interests even it ran counter to what the team needed.

21. Trowa

Trowa A world of pain

May 8, 2008
    Young is just a psycho crybaby who vastly overrates his talent and is not afraid to act in his own interests even it runs counter to what the team needs.

FTFY

Sometimes you say things that are truly insightful and some things you say things that leave me wondering WTF are you on and where do I get some :lol: I just don't see how you can honestly think that VY being openly insubordinate and quitting on his team is a good thing no matter what the supposed reason is. And to honestly want to bring that kind of prescence into our locker room, which is full of young guys and doesn't have the strong veteran prescence you would need to keep a nutcase like VY in line, it just baffles me.

You're comparing apples and oranges here. Mike Vick never quit on his team, was never openly insubordinate to the degree VY was, and never threatened suicide because he got boo'ed. Mike Vick is a world class douchebag and I don't think he should be in the NFL, you'll get no argument from me on that basis. But there is a large difference between being a douchebag and being a total head case who's a bad team mate and way too immature/sensitive to handle being a QB in the NFL.

padre31 likes this.
  22. Larryfinfan

Larryfinfan 17-0...Priceless Club Member

I don't think he's writing off VY because of his stats...he may very well be able to continue his growth as a QB, the question with Young is going to be "Will we be getting the Young that was able to move the Titans up and down the field or the one that quit on his team and walked out ?" There is a real question as to whether this kid gets it yet...if he has, he can be developed as the raw talent is there, but if he has not figured out life yet...he'll end up being just another in a long line of QB mistakes this franchise has made...

And Sparano and Ireland are certainly on short leashes....so will they be able to take on a VY and potentially have to wet-nurse him thru the season ??? I don't think so....

23. steveincolorado

steveincolorado Spook, Storme & Pebbles

Mar 23, 2008
    Colorado
    I'm not in favor of VY, would rather give up a pick for Orton, then get VY for nothing. I remember Kerry Collins "quit", when he was playing for Carolina, but the NYG took a chance on him and he led them to a Super Bowl.

padre31 likes this.
  24. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Because my view on NFLers in general is, the desire to play is the single most important ingredient, and it seperates guys who do not make it to guys who should not have made it, but do, Young's desire to play is unquestioned, that is Square #1, Square #2 is physical talent, he has that in abundance Square #3 is past results, he has those as well.

Anything else, the shirtless pictures, the suicide stuff, even storming out of the locker room after not being reinserted into the must win game, is just blah blah to my ears.

Vick said himself that he short changed his teammates in Atlanta by not taking the time it takes to be a prepared to win Qb week in and week out, add in horrendus character and how is it different when a Coach benches a player who wants to play through an injury?

Is that quitting on his teammates or his Coach quitting on him?

I know what my answer is, to me Fisher should have kept Young in the game even if his leg had fallen off as it is more important to show your Qb, and your Team that you have confidence in the player to lead the team if they are willing to be out on the field with the injury.

Objectively, do you think a 100% Rusty Smith with no practice reps is more likely to win the game over a 80% Vince Young who had taken all of the reps that week?

25. steveincolorado

steveincolorado Spook, Storme & Pebbles

Mar 23, 2008
    Colorado
    Becareful, Jeff Fisher could be coaching the Dolphins next year...lol
    Also with Kerry Collins, he was a drunk and he also made a comment, can't remember if it was about gays or blacks, that got him into to trouble.
    Again, I'm not sold on VY. I just can't see him driving the Dolphins late in the 4th when we need a TD, not FG, but TD. I just don't see that in him.

26. PhinGeneral

PhinGeneral PC Texas A&M, Bro Club Member

Jan 4, 2008
    Swamps of Jersey
    I think the possible issues with Young are more bigger picture stuff. He has led his share of 4th quarter comebacks and game winning drives before. But I do think there are other situations he could fall flat in if he doesn't mature.

27. Ohio Fanatic

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    Padre, Jeff F, IMO, is one of the top 3 or 4 coaches in the NFL. He gets more out of his players than anyone. If he gave up on VY, then it was likely due to a pretty serious flaw with VY that Jeff Fisher could not ignore.

Now, the real question: will a fresh start do anything to reset VY's issues? I think in the right situation, it could. I just don't think this regime and this offense (and it's lack of leaders) can provide VY the correct climate.

Sparano is not thAt kind of coach. long is turning into a leader, Henne is showing signs of leadership, but one of those two is likely benched if VY comes here. If I were the Jests, I would go after VY as good insurance for Sanchez if/when his luck or health runs out

28. GMJohnson

GMJohnson New Member

Jan 27, 2010
    I don't think the Titans would be getting rid of him if his career arc were headed upwards.

Trowa likes this.
  29. VanDolPhan

VanDolPhan Club member Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Hamilton, Ontario Canada
    Vince Young. I'll eat my laptop if he could learn a non dumbed down playbook before the season ended.