1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Valve Shuts out “Too Complicated” PS3

Discussion in 'Gaming Forum' started by Phin-o-rama, Jun 9, 2009.

1. Phin-o-rama

Phin-o-rama Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2007

http://loot-ninja.com/2009/06/09/valve-shuts-out-too-complicated-ps3/

2. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    Oh well, I still got a 360. :yes:

3. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    PS: Fanbois are funny. :lol:

4. muscle979

muscle979 Season Ticket Holder

Dec 12, 2007
    Evans, GA
    I love reading the comments on articles like this. People get so pissed. Hilarious. Like someone just slapped their mother.

5. Dolphin1184

Dolphin1184 Member

Nov 30, 2007
    Augusta, GA
    Valve can't even phase out hackers out of their own PC games. It isn't surprising they are unwilling to expand their programming horizons. They should just stick to PC games and that's that instead of alienating a growing community.

It makes me wonder how developers ever decided to program games for systems like the PS2 that also have different architectures. I have never heard certain devs whine like crybabies like the ones during this generation.

6. ChrisKo

ChrisKo Season Ticket Holder

Nov 28, 2007
    Desert
    Actually, this happens with every generation. Genesis, Saturn, PS2, PS3 have all been claimed early on that it's too hard to develop for. Then 1 year down the road everyone is talking about how powerful the system is because the SDK has caught up to what the developers needed. I think MS has had a huge jump here because they have probably the best IDE for development with Visual Studio. It becomes incredibly easy to develop for an MS system once you use Visual Studio and DirectX.

Since Sony didn't stay with x86 architecture, their SDK is a work in progress as they fine tune the kits to include common libraries to make life easier. They have to take extra time to handle processing to the SPEs and how to keep it easy but not lock away the ability to use the hardware to the max.

There's certain developers, those that want to get their game done so people can have fun with it. And those that want to push the hardware and their game to the limits and show off something new. Naughty Dog and id are great examples of the former in that they love pushing the hardware and don't mind taking the time to truly understand the hardware they are coding for. Unlike someone like Valve that just wants to get the game to an acceptable standard and want the hardware complexities abstracted from them.

Not saying either is wrong or right, because they are both right. Whatever method gets you a solid product that people enjoy is always the ultimate goal.

7. Get Up And Go

Get Up And Go New Member

Dec 14, 2007
    Binghamton, NY
    Doesn't hurt me. Left 4 Dead is over rated IMO.

8. Clark Kent

Clark Kent Fighter of the Nightman

May 9, 2008
    Why do you say that? I found the game awesome (Online anyway). Although I'll get L4D2 on the PC most likely. I can't stand the kiddiots on XBL... I was playing survival mode the other day and this little kid had no concept of wtf was going on. He must of been 12 or less and a total moron. Anyway...

The director was fantastic and kept levels pretty fresh and forcing teams to play together was a plus. Playing on Expert is challenging as hell too. One dumbass will crush the squad. Although I'm kind of annoyed L4D2 isn't DLC, I'm excited for the game.

Even if you disagree, there's still a ****load of great Valve games. They're def. elite. I really wish the 360 could get Counter-Strike... I ****ing love that game.

9. Get Up And Go

Get Up And Go New Member

Dec 14, 2007
    Binghamton, NY
    I thought that it didn't have enough substance. No real story and if you don't have friends to play with, then you might as well use it as a coaster. Plus I grew tired of Zombies after RE2:tongue2:

10. Clark Kent

Clark Kent Fighter of the Nightman

May 9, 2008
    The game is the story, hence the movie posters at the start of each level. Plus the writing on the walls in the safe room acts as a mini story.

Although I agree, if you're not online with L4D, it sucks balls.