1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

USA today assessment of the Dolphins..nice.

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by djphinfan, Aug 6, 2014.

1. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    http://q.usatoday.com/2014/08/06/mi...itzRss&utm_campaign=usatodaycomnfl-topstories

I'm gettin a bit excited..

2. Sceeto

Sceeto Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2008
    New York
    Awesome deej!!! Definitely something to get us excited. :hammertime:

Really looking forward to seeing the Lazor Effect on Tanne.

3. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

Some good and bad there...

- Sounds promising on Tannehill, though I take it with a grain of salt when it's coming from the slightly-above-average guy who Tannehill made almost-a-star because Tanny loves to throw to him.
    - Good that Tannehill has poise, but handling things with poise isn't necessarily the same as saying Tannehill was able to DO all of the things Lazor wants (clearly not, as they've said they shelved one thing this week because it wasn't working).
    - Good that Hartline thinks Lazor is a good coach, and sounds like he thinks he is better than Sherm.... (why else would he be excited about him?)
    - Not exactly elated to have a QB better than EJ Manuel and Geno Smith. Whoop-dee-doo.

And a bit disappointed by this: "Tannehill told me the Dolphins won’t be a no-huddle knockoff of Kelly’s Eagles"

But then again, Philbin, so what else could one expect? Philbin didn't bring Lazor here to install Chip's offense. He brought him here because Lazor is VERY diverse in different offenses and can run Philbin's concepts along with NEW concepts too.

4. Bpk

Also, surprised to be called a playoff team without the defense being mentioned. The D could get us to the playoffs, not the offense.

DPlus47 likes this.
  5. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    If Lazor is a genius, these are his first three plays.

1) roll out right/clear out, Wallace deep.

2) read option.

3) rollout left look deep, if it's not there hit Clay coming across the formation.

6. Boik14

Boik14 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    Maybe the best pick of the entire Parcells/Ireland era and we all to a man sat there in the draft chat and went who? Huh? What? when he was picked... :lol:

Aqua4Ever04 likes this.
  7. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    Was a little disappointed to hear Tannehill emphasize the differences between this offense and Philadelphia's.

8. PhinFan1968

PhinFan1968 To 2020, and BEYOND! Club Member

9. Bpk

I'd love to know why.

Is it possible for Chip Kelly to have had staff sign any kind of contact firbidding them from taking stuff, or would it look like bad form for Lazor to do so?

Seems to me football coaches rip each other off alla time.

IN which case:

a) Lazor doesn't love the Philly stuff enough to bring it with

b) Lazor wants to run Philly's stuff but the roster talent is limiting him

c) Lazor wants to run it but Philbin is limiting him

d) Lazor IS running the Philly stuff but the media is dumb

10. Boik14

Boik14 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    I really hope we install some no huddle. Somehow the offense is a big part of what has to be better. From the line to the QB to the skill players the only players who performed to my expectations last year was Clay and Hartline. Thats not to say I dont see a lot of potential in what we have, particularly at the skill positions.

Ryan Tannehill can be a franchise QB in my estimation. If his mechanics helped clean up his deep ball it will help Wallace be more productive and allow this offense some relief. What I mean by that is we hit few deep passes last year, I believe we were near the bottom of the league despite having an abnormally high percentage of passes be thrown at WR's outside the hashes where big plays are usually found because of the fact theres less congestion outside the hashes. By hitting more big plays it will not only open up running lanes but not force the offense to sustain long drives which all to often end in field goals. Those 10 play drives are great but even great teams have a hard time having 8-10-12 straight productive plays. Its just very difficult to do when defenses are out there trying to stop you. This is why Ryan's improvement of his deep ball, even if it comes at the expensive of a completion point or two has to be better. We have a few vertical threats and its imperative that we use them. Ryan has more arm talent then 75% of the leagues starters. Its up to him to make that work mechanically and improve his play from the pocket where his QBR was one of the worst in the league. Hes not a bottom tier QB. We will find out if thats coordinator related or just an area Ryan hasnt gotten comfortable in yet.

I was a big believer in Lamar Miller last year and I still believe in him this year. Im waiting for that 1200+ yard season I still think he can have. Knowshon Moreno can help as well in blitz pick up, as a runner, and as a receiver. Between those two there is enough talent there to form a competent backfield with some upside if Miller shows the type of back he has shown glimpses of being. That says nothing of Damien Williams who I think is a project worth investing in.

We have as much depth at TE as we have had in at least a decade. Clay is legit seam threat. Dion Sims is a legit in line blocker who can catch. Arthur Lynch could be another Sims. And that says nothing of Egnew and Gator Hoskins who I believe both could make the team and be productive if they are utilized right, i.e. splits out a la Jimmy Graham style. Get them in a bit of space and dare teams to cover them with LB's. Both of those guys are receivers not blockers and in the type of system I think we will be installing should be utilized as such. The WR's after Hartline and Wallace are encouraging. Im a fan of Jarvis Landry. You need a few tough WR's. Jarvis Landry is a Hines Ward type in waiting. He got dropped on draft boards for being slower then ideal at 4.6 but yet hes finding his way behind defenses in camp just as he did on film. Some guys can play better with the pads on then others. I think he might be one and Im hoping hes as good as I think he can be. Brandon Gibson and Rishard Matthews round out what should be a solid group you can win with.

If the OL can hold up their end, I see no reason we shouldnt be a top ten offense. If we do that we will threaten the Pats. If not, its Wild Card or bust for a lot of these guys including Coach Philbin.

Sceeto likes this.
  11. Griese's Glasses

Griese's Glasses Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2013
    Ottawa, ON
    Brian is a mix between all-class and hood-level real talk, and i'm with you, he cuts through the BS and leaves no survivors.

12. RoninFin4

RoninFin4 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Did you see his interview on the team site the other day? Damn near thought he was going to make Andy Cohen cry.

13. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    I thought it was interesting that Lazor is tweaking Tannehills mechanics..

I think he does have some funkiness going on when he tries to throw screen passes and when he tries to throw the fade...it's quite ugly.

14. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    Short answer to this is no.

It sounds like Bill Lazor will be ripping elements of the Philadelphia offense, just as in the past he's ripped elements out of Joe Gibbs and Mike Holmgren.

My only disappointment is that I had an outside hope that he had become a true Chip Kelly acolyte. That happens sometimes. Dino Babers for example has bounced around college football forever, was really a very classic pro style run the ball type of offensive philosophy guy, but then when he coached under Art Briles he became a self-professed Art Briles disciple...and that's what he brought to the table at Eastern Illinois. He brought everything from the spacing to the spirit of the play calling, the speed, the attitude and language, everything. He's even gone more extreme with it at times. That's what he's bringing to Bowling Green as well. It was really a very small hope that Lazor had been affected by Chip Kelly's core principles in that manner, but it's still too bad.

We'll see elements, but we likely won't see the spirit of the system.

DPlus47 likes this.
  15. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Thee...Ohio State University
    Not THIS man, that's what I thought about Patrick Turner though.

16. PhinFan1968

PhinFan1968 To 2020, and BEYOND! Club Member

The way he punked Mando is my all-time favorite.