1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Union head Smith: NFL owners gearing up for lockout in 2011

Discussion in 'Other NFL' started by Topdawg13, Oct 6, 2010.

1. Topdawg13

Topdawg13 New Member

Dec 1, 2009
    Indiana
    -Link- :pity:

2. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    I think the lockout is coming. The owners and the players are pretty much in agreement about the 18 game schedule, the rookie wage scale and the compensation for retired players, but the owners want the split lowered to about 50%. And they are willing to give up a season or even two to get it.

steveincolorado likes this.
  3. texanphinatic

texanphinatic Senior Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    I can't believe either side could be this stupid and selfish - the owners especially. They are really showing themselves to be an unscrupulous bunch. I think it would be funny if the taxpayers for these new zillion dollar football stadiums sued over it.

The owners just want it all.

4. BlameItOnTheHenne

BlameItOnTheHenne Taking a poop

Aug 15, 2010
    Davie
    The 2012 draft class should be amazing if there's a lockout...a lot of juniors may stay after this year imo.

5. steveincolorado

steveincolorado Spook, Storme & Pebbles

Mar 23, 2008
    Colorado

I believe that the players (right now) get like 63% of all revenue. If that is the case, then the owners are doing the right thing.

6. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    My understanding is that they feel they made a bad deal last time, that they gave up too much. They plan to correct that error. I expect that the players will balk at that big of a change (+60% down to about 50%). Reportedly the owners initial offer was 40%. I think they intend to eventually meet in the middle (between 40% and +60%). The owners seemed to have covered themselves so that their losses during a lockout would be minimal. They still get the TV money, which I believe is 60% of the NFL's revenue. They'll lose the ticket money, concessions, parking, etc, and most merchandise sales. But they also won't have any salaries and many other expenses. If salaries alone are +60% of the team's costs then the teams will probably make more money during the lockout, as long as the TV contracts are in place, than they will if they played. Obviously that's not a sustainable long term strategy, but in the short term there is some allure. And going forward the owners could feel that any loss in fan support and attendance, etc. may be easily offset by them getting +10% more of the revenue pie.

PhiNomina likes this.
  7. RunRickyRun

RunRickyRun New Member

Oct 15, 2009
    Curious,
    Doesn't the citizens of Green Bay own the Green Bay Packers?

So right now, if i'm right they held a rally for the Owners to agree with the players?

8. Desides

Desides Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    Yes, the Packers are the only NFL franchise to be publicly owned. They don’t have an owner, they have a CEO who acts as proxy representative.

Anyway, I’m not surprised that DeMaurice Smith is trying to negotiate in public. He has no leverage at the bargaining table. Crying about the mean evil owners is about the only thing he can do. He’s done it his entire career.

9. mor911

mor911 pooping

Nov 25, 2007
    Austin, TX
    There's not gonna be a freaking lockout. They're just trying to get the fans on their side.

10. Alex13

Alex13 Tua Time !!! Club Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Berlin,Germany
    what date is the deadline to get a new deal done to still have football next year ?