1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Uninstalling and reinstalling Windows

Discussion in 'Questions and Answers' started by like2god, Apr 28, 2009.

1. like2god

like2god Typical white person Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    CNY
    So what's the procedure?

My nephew is having problems with his laptop and decided that he wants to wipe his computer clean and reinstall Vista (he has the Vista CD). From what he tells me he couldn't do a system restore, whenever he tried to reboot he received a blue screen error message. He isn't able to run any antivirus scans, I haven't been able to get them to work either unless I'm in safe mode. He already backed up his files to his thumb drive. So what's the process that I need to follow?

2. anlgp

anlgp ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A

Just pop the Vista CD in and follow the on screen instructions. You'll need to reformat the partition first and then load Vista on there. That's it in a nutshell.

It should guide you through it. I can't really explain it any other way than what I did up there.

like2god likes this.
  3. like2god

Nov 22, 2007
    CNY
    Cool, pretty simple.

4. Killerphins

Killerphins The Finger

Nov 11, 2008
    Be sure to go into the BIOS and set the boot order to CD first. Meaning it will boot from the CD and not the hardrive. It will not work unless you do this.

like2god likes this.
  5. anlgp

This is correct as well L2G.

6. like2god

Nov 22, 2007
    CNY
    Alright, I sat down to do this, I went into BIOS and changed the start order so that his CD drive was first and the hard drive was second. I saved the changes and it rebooted, but instead of reading the CD and installing, it booted windows normally. What went wrong?

7. #1 fan

#1 fan Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2007
    miami
    when the computer boots it might say something like "press any key to boot from CD." if you don't press anything, it will boot off your hard drive and go straight to windows.

like2god likes this.
  8. like2god

Nov 22, 2007
    CNY
    Nope, it doesn't say anything about pressing a key, it just starts up normally and doesn't even read the CD.

9. anlgp

just restart again see if that does anything. put here whatever it says or does.

like2god likes this.
  10. like2god

Nov 22, 2007
    CNY
    Well it turns out that his computer is a bit different, Gateway has a recover feature that allows you to reinstall the factory image with an option in the safe mode screen. All of that work with the CD for nothing. :lol:

Thanks for the help guys, much appreciated.

anlgp likes this.
  11. anlgp

glad your problem is fixed. i'm about to take a bomb to my computer right about now.

12. like2god

Nov 22, 2007
    CNY
    How come?

13. anlgp

master boot record errors... i can't fix them. i have a general idea how; but it's trial and error and i'm really getting pissed :lol:

14. GridIronKing34

GridIronKing34 Silently Judging You

Nov 22, 2007
    Denver, CO
    Be a man, just buy him a new laptop.

:tongue2:

like2god likes this.
  15. like2god

Nov 22, 2007
    CNY
    Pfft, I'm not that nice of a person. :wink2: