1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Underclassmen declaring

Discussion in 'NFL Draft Forum' started by BlameItOnTheHenne, Nov 29, 2012.

1. BlameItOnTheHenne

BlameItOnTheHenne Taking a poop

Aug 15, 2010
    Davie
    ToddPhin and gunn34 like this.
  2. gunn34

gunn34 I miss Don & Dan

Jan 5, 2008
    Oviedo FL
    Florida S Matt Elam is interesting.

Bpk likes this.
  3. BlameItOnTheHenne

Aug 15, 2010
    Davie
    ToddPhin likes this.
  4. BlameItOnTheHenne

Aug 15, 2010
    Davie
    ToddPhin likes this.
  5. BlameItOnTheHenne

Aug 15, 2010
    Davie
    @Rotoworld_Draft: Clemson QB Boyd will submit Draft paperwork http://bit.ly/RlkvGg

NFL Draft Bible ‏@NFLDraftBible
    #WestVirginia WR Stedman Bailey's girlfriend recently gave birth to his son, fueling speculation he'll make the jump and enter the#NFLdraft

#Illinois DT Akeem Spence will reportedly declare for the 2013#NFLdraft per SI. Rated as the No.6 junior DT on the NDB big board.

NFL Draft Bible ‏@NFLDraftBible
    #GeorgiaTech LB Jeremiah Attaochu said he will seek an evaluation from the NFL draft advisory board. Rated No.8 junior OLB on NDB big board.

ToddPhin likes this.
  6. Boomer

Boomer Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 30, 2007
    Real Driscoll telling me something......it's either cut and pasted from somewhere else or just lies. I'd rather wait till it's confirmed by someone else.

Aqua4Ever04 and alen1 like this.
  7. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    Matt Elam is the top safety in the Draft and he and Phillip Thomas are probably the best duo since the Eric Berry/Earl Thomas draft.

If Miami really is picking in the middle of the 1st round then they have to be a consideration. Miami needs playmakers with range in the secondary. They're both play makers and they both have range. I know the conventional wisdom is that Miami needs corners and that's absolutely true but above all Miami needs play makers because that's what they're missing. They're missing star caliber players.

8. gunn34

gunn34 I miss Don & Dan

Jan 5, 2008
    Oviedo FL
    I would be ecstatic if Miami drafted playmakers this draft. Especially if they filled a need.

9. BlameItOnTheHenne

Aug 15, 2010
    Davie

Yeah...just checked and it really hasn't been confirmed elsewhere yet. We'll see.

Boomer likes this.
  10. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    That's Driscoll for ya.

Boomer likes this.
  11. ajaffe9

ajaffe9 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 20, 2012
    Matt Elam would be fun to watch in that secondary. Actually can make a play on the ball and is fast and aggressive. Him and Reshad back there together would be great, don't know how much they overlap in skill set though. Still would rather see us get Te'o or Werner, but then we'd have to be drafting way higher.

12. Boomer

Nov 30, 2007
    I really like Elam. I was pissed that we missed out on Earl Thomas - yes, this is not news. I need to see more of Kenny Veccaro. And I've said it a million times on here, but I'm looking at drafting Tyrann Mathieu. Why? Because of everything Chris said up above; some players just find the football. He's one of them. I don't think he's big enough to start on the perimeter, but as a nickel back, punt returner, special teams type? For a 4th round pick? Where's the sign me up form?

13. finsincebirth

finsincebirth Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2007
    As a gator fan I LOVE Elam, much more than Evans. Not only is he great at playing the ball in the air, but he is an excellent defender against the run. The gators put him in the box quite often and his ability to tackle and wrap up defenders is fantastic. Rarely will a guy get past Matt because of a bad attempt at tackling. The only concern is that he is a bit short at 5'10" but he does seem to play taller than he actually is.

Here are some highlights from the LSU game.

[video=youtube;4ue7wlWAhgg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ue7wlWAhgg[/video]

14. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    Funny how things change. Prior to this year around July I was arguing Elam as the best safety potentially in the 2013 Draft and defending his LACK of ball hawk ability, which was viewed to be his big down fall. The problem in my eyes was not his instincts nor his range, nor his mentality toward the football. The problem was just undisciplined hands, which also affected him in other ways including tackling and coverage. As I said back then he's got a ball hawk hiding inside him waiting to come out if he just works on his hands a little (or a lot). Now he's a ball hawk.

ssmiami likes this.
  15. Boomer

Nov 30, 2007
    He's apparently been doing serious OT working on his hands.

Have a look out for Logan Ryan tonight for Rutgers. Junior CB I really like. Here's a SERIOUSLY hard working cat; dad made him play all sports growing up but specifically with the NFL in mind; tennis for footwork, golf for concentration, baseball to play centre fielder so as to break on the ball, etc. Film maven.

ssmiami likes this.
  16. Boomer

Nov 30, 2007
    Not really a YT fan in terms of watching guys, although the play by play cutdowns like that are fascinating. Suffice to say first 5 plays he's at SS, FS, blitzing off the edge, single high safety and then steps up and makes a great tackle in the run game.

17. Boomer

Nov 30, 2007
    Gabe Jackson has submitted his paperwork

Joe Schad‏@schadjoe
    The Vols' juniors - Bray, Hunter, Patterson, McCullers, etc. - said they haven't made NFL Draft decisions.

18. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    The corner (non-druggie) version of Todd Marinovich, lol.

On corners, I almost always have to defer to you, especially early. I lack the patience to study them too closely until we get pretty far into the process. For instance, I "like" but not "like like" Desmond Trufant and Terry Hawthorne, I also like Will Davis...and **** all if I have any opinions on the rest of the seniors. I like Nickell Robey amongst juniors a lot, obviously Dee Milliner is another quality Bama prospect, I think Xavier Rhodes may have to be a safety but I like him, and the only other guy I have a positive opinion on tore his inferior vena cava during a practice, which apparently kills 95% of all people that do that, somehow survived and may never play football again.

19. finsincebirth

finsincebirth Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2007
    I think a lot of that might be due to coaching from Quinn and Muschamp. Having two guys like that who have coached in the Pro's will hopefully mean we will have a lot of NFL ready defensive stars come out. Two other UF guys I would like the Dolphins to look at are Sherriff Floyd and Jordan Reed. Granted Floyd may be a luxury, but I feel like he can play the DE and DT position which could help us with pass rush. Reed (if he comes out this year) I think can be a playmaker especially given that he has only been a TE for two years.

What do you use to watch highlights? I do like how Elam be used in many facets of the game. Having such a versatile safety can only be a good thing.

20. PhinsFan93

PhinsFan93 New Member

Mar 28, 2012
    Was about to take the guy's head off on the first play and look at 2:52 LMAO

21. ToddPhin

ToddPhin Premium Member Luxury Box Club Member

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    :lol:
    I don't have much patience for corners either.
    Rhodes makes for an interesting safety prospect. I like corners who possess a quality fall back option.

22. Boomer

Nov 30, 2007
    Games.

23. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Elam loves to lead with the head..he's explosive, kind of like Vontae Davis type of quick twitch..might get him in trouble a bit at the next level.

24. jim1

jim1 New Member

Jul 1, 2008
    We need an instinctive and explosive playmaker at the FS position. Chris Clemons is fast, but that hardly means that he's quick, that his football instincts (or lack thereof) or some of the confounding angles that he takes to ball carriers makes him play fast. Reshad Jones has been suprisingly good, and we need a partner in crime for him, an athletic, heady, crafty PLAY MAKING FS. More interceptions, caused fumbles, passed defended, the lot. Elam fits the bill imo.

FS is a big need imo, and I hope that it isn't overlooked in this draft. Rounds 1-4, across the board, playmakers please. If Ireland does it right he should be able to plug a lot of the holes in the upcoming draft and FA.

25. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    I knew it!

:shifty:

Boomer likes this.
  26. BlameItOnTheHenne

Aug 15, 2010
    Davie
    todd, what's the deal on Boyd? You think he'll stay?

27. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    Clemons is a different player with the play in front of him than behind or side-to-side. His skill set is better served as Jones's backup IMO where more of his game can be downhill.

28. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    forwarded from our mutual friend, Todd:

"I think he's torn. I think he wants to stay b/c he loves it here and wants a chance to compete for a championship, but at the same time he might be looking for a good reason to leave after graduating. He seems to be sending out a feeler more than a definitive interest at the moment. IMO he deserves a 2nd round grade, and if he gets it that could be enough to perusade him."

29. UCF FINatic

UCF FINatic The Miami Dolphins select

Apr 17, 2008
    What do you think about Hopkins declaring? Obviously if Boyd declares he will as well, but what about Hopkins individually? I really think Hopkins stock is as high as it ever is going to be so it makes sense for him to declare in my eyes...

30. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    There hasn't been a lot of talk either way regarding Hopkins TBH. It could be tied to what Boyd does as you insinuated.
    Clemson won't be hurting w/o him so at least the pressure of staying to help shouldn't be a factor. His reasons to stay would be to win a championship, graduate (which Dabo players don't seem opposed to. See Spiller & Ellington), and to enjoy every bit of college before hitting the professional world.

31. BlameItOnTheHenne

Aug 15, 2010
    Davie
  32. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    Not in any way a surprise, but nice to see.

One thing I missed while I was in Japan?

Marquess Wilson hasn't been absent from games because he's hurt. He's been absent from games because he resigned from the team amid allegations of Mike Leach's crew engaging in regular mental bullying and abuse of players. He would seem likely to come out.

That's a pretty good player right there. And before people start calling him a quitter I think they ought to remember Mike Leach's history, and also talk to some of the reporters that were there in practice every day and saw Leach constantly picking on Wilson, singling him out in front of the team and having him do up-downs and push-ups in front of them if he made a bad play, and generally riding him hard. The more I've read and seen of Mike Leach over the last few years, the less I've liked him personally. He constantly sounds like a total prick that read too many of his own press clippings and doesn't really care about the kids he's coaching.

33. jim1

jim1 New Member

Jul 1, 2008
    Top junior receiver enters draft … As expected, California junior WR Keenan Allen has formally announced that he will pass on his final year of college eligibility and enter the 2013 draft. Allen is considered to be the top receiver in the upcoming draft class and is currently projected as a possible top ten selection. Allen is Cal's career leader receiver with 205 receptions, including 61 for 737 yards and 6 TDs this season despite missing the Bears’ final three games of the season with a knee injury.

http://www.gbnreport.com/

34. Gunner

Gunner Rock Hunter

Jan 5, 2008
    Mobile, AL
    Not sure how accurate it is but here is a list from NFL's Future: http://nflsfuture.com/2012/12/04/2013-nfl-draft-underclassmen-tracker/

DECLARED:
    Keenan Allen, WR, Cal
    Da’Rick Rogers, WR, Tennessee Tech
    Brandon Jenkins, DE, Florida State
    Tyrann Mathieu, CB, LSU
    Sheldon Richardson, DT, Missouri

RUMORED TO BE LEAVING:
    David Amerson, CB, N.C. State
    Marcus Lattimore, RB, South Carolina
    Corey Lemonier, DE, Auburn
    Ra’Shede Hageman, DE, Minnesota
    Jawan Jamison, RB, Rutgers
    Logan Ryan, CB, Rutgers
    Xavier Rhodes, CB, Florida St.
    Tyler Bray, QB, Tennessee
    Justin Hunter, WR, Tennessee
    Aaron Murray, QB, Georgia
    Akeem Spence, DT, Illinois
    Jelani Jenkins, OLB, Florida

SUBMITTING PAPERWORK TO NFL ADVISORY COMMITTEE:
    Logan Thomas, QB, Virginia Tech
    Jeremiah Attaochu, LB, Georgia Tech
    Gabe Jackson, OG, Mississippi State
    Robert Woods, WR, USC
    Tajh Boyd, QB, Clemson
    Cierre Wood, RB, Notre Dame

RUMORED TO BE STAYING:
    Cordarrelle Patterson, WR, Tennessee

ANNOUNCED THEY ARE STAYING:
    Derek Carr, QB, Fresno State

BlameItOnTheHenne likes this.
  35. RoninFin4

RoninFin4 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    That's pretty surprising to me. If I were a betting man, I'd bet that Derek Dooley's tenure at UT will be longer than Butch Jones'.

36. UCF FINatic

Apr 17, 2008
    No clue why Tyler Bray would declare... He had two of the top WRs around him and did not look that great. In my opinion he definitely should return to Tennessee.

37. pacadermng67

pacadermng67 New Member

Jul 18, 2011
    Vienna, VA
    I want Hopkins and Boyd to stay at Clemson but if Hopkins comes out, I want him...

UCF FINatic likes this.
  38. UCF FINatic

Apr 17, 2008
    I want Hopkins so damn much. I hope he comes out and I would do whatever I can to secure him.

39. Gunner

Gunner Rock Hunter

Jan 5, 2008
    Mobile, AL
  40. Gunner

Gunner Rock Hunter

Jan 5, 2008
    Mobile, AL
    Updated List:

DECLARED:
    Giovani Bernard, RB, North Carolina
    Eddie Lacy, RB, Alabama
    D.J. Fluker, OT, Alabama
    Knile Davis, RB, Arkansas
    Trabis Ward, RB, Tennessee State
    Johnathan Hankins, DT, Ohio State
    Marcus Lattimore, RB, South Carolina
    Keenan Allen, WR, Cal
    Da’Rick Rogers, WR, Tennessee Tech
    Brandon Jenkins, DE, Florida State
    Tyrann Mathieu, CB, LSU
    Sheldon Richardson, DT, Missouri

RUMORED TO BE LEAVING:
    Le’Veon Bell, RB, Michigan State
    David Amerson, CB, N.C. State
    Corey Lemonier, DE, Auburn
    Ra’Shede Hageman, DE, Minnesota
    Jawan Jamison, RB, Rutgers
    Logan Ryan, CB, Rutgers
    Xavier Rhodes, CB, Florida St.
    Tyler Bray, QB, Tennessee
    Justin Hunter, WR, Tennessee
    Aaron Murray, QB, Georgia
    Akeem Spence, DT, Illinois

SUBMITTING PAPERWORK TO NFL ADVISORY COMMITTEE:
    Sharrif Floyd, DT, Florida
    Matt Elam, SS, Florida
    Jordan Reed, TE, Florida
    Le’Veon Bell, RB, Michigan State
    Logan Thomas, QB, Virginia Tech
    Jeremiah Attaochu, LB, Georgia Tech
    Gabe Jackson, OG, Mississippi State
    Robert Woods, WR, USC
    Tajh Boyd, QB, Clemson
    Cierre Wood, RB, Notre Dame

RUMORED TO BE STAYING:
    Zach Ertz, TE, Stanford
    Levine Toilolo, TE, Stanford
    Cordarrelle Patterson, WR, Tennessee

ANNOUNCED THEY ARE STAYING:
    Derek Carr, QB, Fresno State

Bpk, ToddPhin, ssmiami and 1 other person like this.