1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

(Un)restricted free agents

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Cass, Jun 22, 2011.

1. Cass

Cass Active Member

Apr 24, 2009
    Bristol, England
    With rumours coming out of the labour discussions of unrestricted free agency after 4 years, not 6; and the possiblility that the franchise tag won't apply, do you guys see any possibility that we make a move for Mankins thus pretty much completing our line? I think we were linked with a move for him before his inevitable tagging, but if that counts for nothing do we go back in even after drafting Pouncey? I think i'd personally be at least sounding him out about it if it were at all possible.

the 23rd likes this.
  2. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

We got a lot of $$ tied up in the OL already, so I don't expect us to break the bank on Mankins. IMO, it's going to be RB, QB and OLB depth that we go after first and foremost.

Aquafin likes this.
  3. Ohio Fanatic

Ohio Fanatic Twuaddle or bust Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    I'm okay with 4 out of 5 lineman being solid-to-very good. If Jerry makes any progress to just an average level this year, we'll have an excellent overall line.
    We could use another veteran backup on the line, but MC is right, spend the money where we need it the most. RB, QB and LB (although, I'd rather spend it on ILB than OLB)

4. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    I thought this was going to be a list of the UFA's........

5. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

At ILB, at least we got Dobbins and Edds as backups. At OLB backups we got Ike Alama-Francis and possibly Robert Rose, who's been a DL, though now has a number in the 50s.

6. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    if it were possible to obtain Mankins we would have another Orca-5, elite offensive line... this would be a very, very good thing!
    it all begins in the trenches:dolphin:

7. Hurricane

Hurricane Guest

Hell yeah it does! Up high!

[​IMG]

8. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    I think it's unlikely they spend a bunch of money on the position, or that the franchise tag is altered to a degree where Mankins is not covered, but they need a pulling guard, and none of the guards on the roster fit the bill very well.

9. CaribPhin

CaribPhin Guest

Lazy

finyank13 likes this.
  10. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    I expect a RB (Sproles, DWilliams, Bradshaw or one of the Bush(s)), OLB (Lawson) and a QB (?).

Aquafin and finyank13 like this.
  11. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    Would love to see Bradshaw out of them all, D-Will amd Bush are injury prone, and Sproles seems to want feature back money......

12. VanDolPhan

VanDolPhan Club member Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Hamilton, Ontario Canada
    The tags will still apply. However anyone with 4 years will be a FA.

So I'd be happy grabbing LG Carl Nicks from the Saints or RG Davin Joseph from the Bucs. I'd even go with Harvey Dahl the nasty RG from Atlanta.

finyank13 likes this.
  13. Hurricane

Hurricane Guest

Dahl is better than the others anyway, IMO

14. VanDolPhan

VanDolPhan Club member Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Hamilton, Ontario Canada
    Dahl is about to turn 30 in a couple days. Hence why he's 3rd on my list.

15. Ohio Fanatic

Ohio Fanatic Twuaddle or bust Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    I was actually thinking if there was a upgrade to Crowder, we go out and pay the dough for a new starting ILB and keep Dobbins and Edds as backup. Crowder is a decent starter, but when you factor in his injuries, I think we should replace him.

16. Hurricane

Hurricane Guest

That's an argument, but linemen last long and age well.

17. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    This^

http://twitter.com/#!/AdamSchefter/status/83236841599418368

18. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Personally, I think they'll be looking at guys like Robert Gallery(At most expensive), Kyle Kosier, Evan Mathis(Whom was one of ours in 2008 but went on to hit with the Bengals), Daryn Colledge, and Mike Brisiel. Athletic guys, most all left guards. Many of them are not "pulling guards" per se, but instead from more zone-oriented schemes and can do it well athletically.

Well, Nicks has three accrued years as well.

GMJohnson likes this.
  19. Killerphins

Killerphins The Finger

Nov 11, 2008
    I like the way your thinking here. I have been wanting an upgrade for years now. It is pretty much a slam dunk if healthy that Edds will be the nickel linebacker and Crowder will leave the field anyway on third down. I know Crowder is the banger and some seem to think oh well his role is limited but if you get a smart athletic playmaking ILB in that position the front seven would be complete. I've even thought at times you could replace Crowder with Misi while he is young and develop him there and go out and get an OLB to rush the passer. Either way it is long overdue for Crowder to be the hell out of here. He is a weak link in the front seven.

20. GMJohnson

GMJohnson New Member

Jan 27, 2010
    I think Pouncey's pulling ability will lessen some of the need for a pulling LG, I think more zone/stretch plays will lessen the need a little more. Totally agree we wouldn't consider paying Mankins, Harvey Dahl or one of the lower cost guys maybe, but not Mankins. I'm hoping we roll w/ what we have on the OL and go after a top tier RB and some depth at OLB instead.

21. Aquafin

Aquafin New Member

Jun 16, 2011
    the poor house
    I can see us signing a free agent olineman but we better pick up another tight end and a big time back and i hope this doesnt rub anyone wrong but i wouldnt mind signing a qb like Carson Palmer or Vince Young who is athletic enough that can make our oline look better but Vince Young is a head case so if I think about it i might take vince but the safer qb to take would be Alex Smith who really got yanked around similar to Gus Frerotte who we gave up on and we never gave Guss A chance .

This is only my opinion but I think Carson Palmer , Vince Young and Alex Smith who i think could be coached into being a solid qb would be what I would adress first then Running back then a tightend but did we draft a tight end ? I cant remember if we did or not. then I would go olinemen because we have been signing and cutting olinemen for 6 years now , therefore our oline should have already been set.

22. Alex13

Alex13 Tua Time !!! Club Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Berlin,Germany
    charles clay was picked in the 6th round, he is supposed to fit the bill at TE, i wouldnt touch alex smith though