1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

UDFAs

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by peakz, Apr 27, 2013.

1. Rocky Raccoon

Rocky Raccoon Greasepaint Ghost Staff Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    [​IMG]

djphinfan, Jed, huskerfin and 5 others like this.
  2. huck1974

huck1974 FU Gene Steratore

Mar 22, 2008
    Missouri
    Bray went to the Chiefs. So Gay 4 Bray can go to the Chiefs board.

NCFINFAN likes this.
  3. peakz

peakz New Member

Apr 15, 2010
    Yeah, just saw that. I thought that Bray is everything that Philbin hates, didn't make sense.

4. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Was just going to say Wild Thing went to KC, not Miami.

5. huck1974

Mar 22, 2008
    Missouri
    I was going to make a certain "Blazing Saddles" reference that I thought was applicable, but thought better of it.

6. ExplosionsInDaSky

ExplosionsInDaSky Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2011

How bout you shove your unnecessary jackass comment up your ***.:up:

Phoenician Fan likes this.
  7. AmEve

AmEve New Member

Apr 27, 2013
    Cheers mate. Glad to be here.

ToddPhin likes this.
  8. GridIronKing34

GridIronKing34 Silently Judging You

Nov 22, 2007
    Denver, CO
    I watched a lot of Sinkfield at UNI because I was on their production crew when it was aired on the NBC affiliate.

He's fast but played in an offense that never catered to his skill set. We ran a read-option offense with a quarterback who ran for over 1200 yards in 2010 and over 800 yards in 2011... that quarterback couldn't throw the ball to save his life either. His senior year we started a redshirt freshman quarterback when UNI had a brutal schedule facing teams like Iowa and Wisconsin as well as top ranked FCS schools. The redshirt freshman quarterback showed a lot of promise but it's not exactly a recipe for success as far as padding a receiver's stats go.

I think he has a decent shot of making the practice squad at least. He seems like a pretty good kid from what I understand too.

cuchulainn, Ludacris, JMHPhin and 4 others like this.
  9. PhinGeneral

PhinGeneral PC Texas A&M, Bro Club Member

Jan 4, 2008
    Swamps of Jersey
    Then maybe he becomes his wide receiver.

ToddPhin likes this.
  10. jpep13

jpep13 Coach Of The Year Club Member

Dec 2, 2007
    i thought Tyler Bray signed with Kc

11. azfinfanmang

azfinfanmang Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Alice Davis was kicking from it's grave and screaming when the Raiduhs didn't take him in the first :shifty:

12. azfinfanmang

azfinfanmang Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Uhm, you left out a few VERY key words their m8

13. Starry31

Starry31 Phins and Heels.

Dec 8, 2009
    North Carolina
    Probably the happiest I'll ever be about not signing an UDFA.

azfinfanmang likes this.
  14. miamiron

miamiron There's always next year

Jan 4, 2008
    -Plays with very slow and heavy feet, struggles to reset them when moving through options or after a pump fake
    -Can’t create space for himself in the open field, very rarely picks up yardage with his feet
    -Very slight of frame with a thin lower half

Velocity inconsistencies arise due to mechanical issues, will leave some short passes in the dirt, then laser one in 30 yards downfield
    -Mechanics worsen the farther downfield he wants to throw, elongated wind-up gets longer and longer

Very poor decision maker under pressure, game speeds up too much for him
    -Incredibly squeamish about hanging in late to deliver the ball, will not sacrifice himself to wait for receiver to break in his route
    -Often feels pressure that’s not there and continually backs farther and farther away
    -Allows his lead shoulder to fly open when trying to get rid of it quickly under pressure, steps to the side throws with all arm
    -Drops his eyes quickly when trying to elude pressure
    -Poor handler of the football, very loose with it even when eluding pressure; very fumble prone
    -Footwork falls apart if he’s not able to get it out on time with his drop
    -Threw the ball up into double coverage late if pressure was on its way on numerous occasions

Locks eyes onto receivers too often which defensive backs can easily follow
    -Really struggles when initial reads fail and is forced to improvise outside of the pocket, unable to cover ground to create space or reset his feet on the

Very emotional player, will ride the highs and lows of the team
    -Benched in the Vanderbilt game for what the coaches deemed to be “too amped up” causing poor play
    -Didn’t improve at the rate most expected since getting 5 starts as a true freshman

djphinfan likes this.
  15. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    Like the two receivers they grabbed. Don't know if the Mount Union guy is ever going to learn to deal with physical coverage but if he does, he's quick enough and he can catch. Bumphis could be a real sleeper if his hands ever get miraculously better.

16. peakz

peakz New Member

Apr 15, 2010
    At the moment, if all these UDFAs are correct, our roster is at 93.
    Some people are getting cut before camp.

17. JMHPhin

JMHPhin Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 27, 2007
    Ohio
    Bray has talent and if he works for it could be PS this year n next then when Moore departs compete w devlin for backup

Cut Moore? No friggin way

Apparantly KC offered a larger signing bonus. Good for KC I like Bray physical skills, as UDFA great value, but it wasnt like he was our future

18. Hiruma78

Hiruma78 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

we seem to love Oregon LBs, with Clay, Kaddu and Jordan :yes:

19. daniel3

daniel3 Active Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Jordan is a DE :(. Also wonder if with pickups of Collins and Bumphis, the poster yesterday that was having a heart attack we didn't have a dedicated slot guy/4th or 5th WR to replace Bess is feeling better today?

20. NolePhin15

NolePhin15 Well-Known Member

Dec 15, 2010
    Jupiter
    I'd like to see us give Greg Reid a shot. Kid was a stud and the ultimate risk taker.

21. Claymore95

Claymore95 Working on it... Club Member

Sep 8, 2012
    Peebles, Scotland
    Split end?

PhinGeneral, ToddPhin and cuchulainn like this.
  22. Gunner

Gunner Rock Hunter

Jan 5, 2008
    Mobile, AL
    Not sure which site or signings are legit, but here are three different sites that have differing lists:

nationalfootballpost.com...............................nepatriotsdraft.com.......................................dolphinsdraft.com
    Clay Belton, QB, Findlay................................Jasper Collins, WR, Mount Union......................Chad Bumphis, WR, Mississippi State – 5-11 200
    Chad Bumphis, WR, Mississippi State................Jordan Kovacs, S, Michigan............................Michael Clay, OLB, Oregon – 5-11 225
    Chris Burnette, DL, Old Dominion.....................Rob McCabe, LB, Georgetown..........................Kyle Martens, P, Rice – 6-5 225
    Michael Clay, LB, Oregon...............................Clay Belton, QB, Findlay.................................Jordan Kovacs, DB, Michigan – 6-0 195
    Jasper Collins, WR, Mount Union.....................Cameron Marshall, RB Arizona State..................Jasper Collins, WR, Mount Union – 5-10 185
    Chris Denton, WR, Mount Union......................Keelan Johnson, S, Arizona State.....................Taylor Stockemer, WR, Arkansas State – 6-4 215
    A.J. Francis, DT, Maryland.............................AJ Francis, DT, Maryland................................Eric Bergman, OL, Southern Illinois – 6-3 250
    Jordan Kovacs, S, Michigan...........................Terrell Sinkfield, WR, Northern Iowa..................Chris Burnette, DT, Old Dominion – 6-3 285
    Cameron Marshall, RB, Arizona State...............Michael Clay, LB, Oregon................................Rob McCabe, MLB, Georgetown – 6-1 225
    Rob McCabe, LB, Georgetown........................Brandon Ogletree, LB, BYU..............................Alonzo Highsmith, OLB, Arkansas – 6-1 230
    Brandon Ogletree, LB, BYU............................Chris Burnette, DT, Old Dominion......................Emeka Onyenekwu, DE, LA-Lafayette – 6-3 250
    Taylor Stockemer, WR, Arkansas State...........Chris Barker, OG, Nevada ................................Brandon Ogletree, OLB, BYU – 5-11 230
    Keelan Johnson, S, Arizona State...................Sam Brenner, OG, Utah.................................. Clay Belton, QB, Findlay – 6-6 230
    Terrell Sinkfield, WR, Northern Iowa................Corey Broomfield, CB/S, Mississippi State...........Cameron Marshall, RB, Arizona State – 5-11 215
    Chris Barker, OG, Nevada..............................Peter Tuitupou, TE, SJSU................................Keelan Johnson, S, Arizona State – 6-0 210
    Sam Brenner, OG, Utah.................................Pat Ward, OT, Northwestern...........................A.J. Francis, DT, Maryland – 6-5 310
    Corey Broomfield, CB/S, Mississippi State.........David Hinds, LB, FAU (Tryout).........................Terrell Sinkfield, WR, Northern Iowa – 6-0 190
    Peter Tuitupou, TE, SJSU
    Pat Ward, OT, Northwestern
    David Hinds, LB, FAU (Tryout)

Csonka Marino and Ludacris like this.
  23. ASOT

ASOT New Member

Mar 29, 2013
    Coral Gables, FL
    training camp fodder - but so we thought of Pat Devlin. You never know..... :up:

24. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

He's better standing up, and prefers to play standing up. He is a Sam in the base defense IMO.

NCFINFAN likes this.
  25. DHPVW

DHPVW DuB addict

Apr 1, 2010
    AZ-520
    Not a huge need for us but UofA QB Matt Scott would be a great backup qb to bring in. Dude is a bad *** and it amazes me that he didn't get drafted

26. Jimmy James

Jimmy James Ron Swanson

Dec 11, 2007
    Burnette out of ODU is definitely one of ours. His agent went to one of the local high schools and this is his first class of possible NFL players (he apparently worked for the Redskins until recently). My newspaper has been blowing up about his half dozen crappy prospects, and Burnette was the only one outright signed.

MrClean likes this.
  27. huck1974

Mar 22, 2008
    Missouri

That was not very nice. If you read your initial post, you truly deserve some teasing. It was in a friendly way. How about you pull the stick out of your A$$:up:

NCFINFAN likes this.
  28. BigNastyDB13

BigNastyDB13 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2012
    Hahaha he was actually pretty nice considering the amount of ignorance your post had in it. You actually suggested we cut one of, if not the best back-up QB in the league for an udfa with a peanut for a brain, who looked miserable with a 1st and 2nd round WR to throw to.

Steve-Mo and NCFINFAN like this.
  29. Rocky Raccoon

Rocky Raccoon Greasepaint Ghost Staff Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    Nope. All wrong. As usgggge. :shifty:

cuchulainn likes this.
  30. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    Many of these UDFAs are guys that I'm not that familiar with.

One that I am somewhat familiar with is Jordan Kovacs and he's got my interest. Modern day Rudy. His story is really cool. But you look at what he did at his pro day, this guy isn't just some slow white guy who made good with pure heart. His numbers are better than a lot of the safeties drafted. He went from a regular campus student who had ZERO scholarship offers coming out of high school, rehabbing an old knee injury and biding his time for the next student body open tryouts, to being a defensive STARTER...in about 10 months' time. Fathom that. He's 12th on the the all time Michigan tackles list with over 300 tackles in his career. In his final year he was the team's Bo Schembechler MVP. The fact that he actually put together good numbers at his pro day (4.62 forty, 10'2" broad jump, 35" vertical, 4.25 shuttle, 6.81 cone, 17 bench reps...at 5'11" and 205 lbs) shows how hard he works. He's like Shamarko Thomas except not quite the same natural athlete. He won't be out-worked...by anyone.

Coaches could find him tough to cut when cut down dates come. On tape he's like Dr. Who. He's always there. Watch every defensive snap, if he's not making the tackle, he's coming into the frame on the close-up either right as the ball carrier is taken to the ground, or immediately after. Either way, #32 is always there.

Don't believe me? I counted, against Virginia Tech in the 2012 Sugar Bowl. He wasn't by any means always an "in the box" safety in that game. He was often deep center field or otherwise lined far off the ball, weak side, etc. He blitzed on 4 plays where the ball came out. I don't count those plays. But on the 75 other defensive plays in the game, he was on the field for every single one of them, he physically engaged the ball carrier while the play was still live on an astounding 29 of those plays. He was credited with 11 tackles in this game. But on 18 other players he got to the ball in time to physically engage the ball carrier while the play was still live. Only on 23 out of the 75 non-blitz plays did he not show up in the immediate vicinity of the ball at the end of the play.

That's a guy that is always around the football. As a safety, that's some serious hustle. Hustle aided by athleticism that is better than people probably would've thought.

He either made the tackle or visually came into the camera close up on

31. btfu149

btfu149 Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2011
    Indianapolis, IN
    Anyone know if Josh Johnson cornerback from Purdue went anywhere? Couldn't find anything

32. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

Signed with San Diego.

btfu149 likes this.
  33. Alex13

Alex13 Tua Time !!! Club Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Berlin,Germany
    wow, they must have really dig deep then, who would have thought that is possible and i mean that with all the due respect to your knowledge of the college players pool

34. btfu149

btfu149 Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2011
    Indianapolis, IN
    Thanks! Got to follow my Boilers too don't really think he's going to amount to much unfortunately though

BayAreaFinFan likes this.
  35. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    Hey you can't know every single one of these guys, lol. Between the ~250 players that are drafted and the ~12 to 18 players every team signs as undrafted free agents...that's over 700 players!

36. ToddPhin

ToddPhin Premium Member Luxury Box Club Member

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    and? That's ok, Chris, some of us just aren't dedicated enough.

cuchulainn likes this.
  37. Alex13

Alex13 Tua Time !!! Club Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Berlin,Germany
    lol

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

ToddPhin likes this.
  38. ASUFinFan

ASUFinFan Uh huh

Dec 8, 2007
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Cameron Marshall is a guy that I was able to watch in my backyard. North south runner,extremely physical, makes guys miss when he's healthy. Last year there were some coaching changes at ASU, which explaines for his reduced numbers. His Junior year had 20+ plus tds when he was the main back. This past year they split carries with Marion grice and DJ foster who each had big years. Marshall has a ton of potential!

NCFINFAN likes this.
  39. Csonka Marino

Csonka Marino Season Ticket Holder

Mar 22, 2013
    Florida
    I hope Terrell Sinkfield makes the practice squad. Arrested for a fist fight in 2012. He has a good set of hands, gets separation quickly when untouched, but needs to work on his balance. He has some upside if he improves his route running; is a slot receiver if he bulks up. This is just my opinion from watching tape on him, but I could be wrong.

40. Itsdahumidity

Itsdahumidity X gonna take it from ya

Dec 10, 2007
    We got a gem in Michael Clay!

It's a classic example of teams focusing more on measurables than game film/intangibles. He's listed only at 5-11/6ft 230lbs but damn! Forget about his forty(4.74), play diagnosis, closing speed & excellent tackling is what defines him.

[video=youtube;aKjWHNECUKs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKjWHNECUKs[/video]​

Chip Kelly on Clay(3:47 mark):
    [video=youtube;D5ygkV6GKls]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5ygkV6GKls[/video]​

Drowning, dolfan22, jazz and 2 others like this.