1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tyler Thigpen trade bait?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by padre31, Feb 4, 2010.

1. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    This move would make sense, but there is a huge risk in trading a Qb inside the division, if the Bills wanted to make such a trade it should be really expensive.

Like a #2 pick or ???

2xBlown and dolfan22 like this.
  2. Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell Post Hard, Post Often Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    I'm sure we would let him go for a 4th.

Bpk and adamprez2003 like this.
  3. Caps

Caps Movimiento Juvenil

Mar 23, 2008
    If they offered a #2 and a #5 I'd pull the trigger. More than he's worth for sure, but you don't trade within the division for peanuts.

padre31 likes this.
  4. Anonymous

Anonymous Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Jul 5, 2009
    I don't know If we should trade him, unless of course he brings in something good. He is more valuable to us than anyone we can trade him for.

5. PhiNomina

PhiNomina White-Collar Redneck

Dec 21, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    Didn't we get him for a 5th? And he threw 8 passes last year - 2 of which were INT's?

I don't see us getting a 2nd, 3rd or even a 4h for him unless Buf is REALLY desperate.

Bpk and adamprez2003 like this.
  6. Paul 13

Paul 13 Chaotic Neutral & Unstable Genius Staff Member

Dec 3, 2007
    keep him, f the Bills...

skippysphins likes this.
  7. Frumundah Finnatic

Frumundah Finnatic U Mad Miami?

Dec 2, 2007
    Miami FL
    Keep Penny, get rid of Thiggy.

gafinfan likes this.
  8. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Thiggy was Chan Gailey's Qb in KC and they had a lot of success together, Thiggy was in his first yr and he played really well in Gailey's offense.

14 starts, 2,600 yds 18 Td's on a poor KC team.

dolfan22 likes this.
  9. Sceeto

Sceeto Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2008
    New York
    I would hate that move, unless it gave us a HIGH pick, but I seriously doubt that it would. I really like him. I think he's got some real potential. I don't want to take quality snaps away from Henne in practice, but I would love to see what Thigpen could do after getting some reps with guys other than third stringers or whatever. If nothing else, we finally have some quality depth at the QB position, so if the trade doesn't bring us high picks, I don't think it would be worth it. You need quality depth at all positions in this league.

10. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Here is the thing, if they want Pennington back for 2010, someone has to leave, and that leaves only Thiggy as White really doesn't have much trade value at the moment.

But moving a Qb within the Division, to a team we play twice...that has blown up in our faces before in the Welker deal.

Bpk and dolfan22 like this.
  11. Xeticus

Xeticus Junior Member

Mar 30, 2008
    I would do it but it'd have to be a high pick. I'm thinking a second for a young Qb who will probably start for them. Make it a 4th and a conditional pick for next year if you have to.

Bpk and gafinfan like this.
  12. PhiNomina

PhiNomina White-Collar Redneck

Dec 21, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    Didn't realize the Gailey connection. My point was more that he did all that and then was traded for a 5th - since then he's gotten a year older and thrown 8 passes.

But the Gailey connection could help us get a higher pick out of them.

13. SeanP

SeanP Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Deltona FL
    In Division Rival. Price goes up
    Young. Price goes up
    Showed competency coming in as a backup against Pittsburgh, and showed streaks back at KC (why we grabbed him for a 5th). Price goes up
    Connection to Gailey suggesting a desire. Price goes up.
    Potential backup in Pennington if we get rid of him, makes the trade do-able.

I like Tyler, and I think if Henne busts, he's a good option.

But all signs are saying that he's possibly able to get us a good draft pick. If we can con a Round 2 pick out of them for him, I say do this in a heartbeat. Anything less than that, and it's going to be a tough decision (anything less than a 4th and I'd say hell no)

14. Desides

Desides Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    I agree with the general train of thought. If we're going to deal him in the division, his pricetag should be higher. I'd ask for a 3rd round pick this year and a 6th round pick next year.

Frumundah Finnatic likes this.
  15. miamiron

miamiron There's always next year

Jan 4, 2008
    He only had 11 starts but played in 14 games
    He also led all QBs in the NFL with"386 yards rushing"
    with 3 Tds that season.

He even caught a 37-yard TD pass to become the first quarterback in franchise history to register a score as a passer, a rusher and a receiver.

Yet people still want Pat White and his 0 receptions
    and his 3.9 yards per rush/81 total yards

It's great that Pennington wants to come back as a back up Qb but who would you want as the backup QB once Pennington leaves that position a player that has proven he can play in the NFL or one that has not?

16. pumpdogs

pumpdogs Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2009
    delaware
    If we trade him too the bills it is going to come back and haunt us.I think the cheifs made a mistake trading for cassell because i think this guy is better than him.
    This guy is our insurance in case henne doesn't pan out or gets hurt.
    It better be at least a 2nd and a 4th.

xphinfanx likes this.
  17. brandon27

brandon27 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    Well, you could keep at QB Henne, Pennington, and Thigpen. And move White to WR or RB so you can use him in the wildcat still as a receiving/running/throwing option, or just line him up as a WR and run some WR screens to him to get the ball in his hands in space.

Doing that, I don't see much of a need to trade him, or dump him. At least lets try and find a way to use him. If after this year, nothing works, then yes... help him pack his bags.

18. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Forgive my frustration B27 but for cripes sake, White has never played a snap at Wr...n-e-v-e-r...what would make anyone think he suddenly can play Wr now that some people think he could?

They invested the #43 pick into him, he pretty much is going to have every possible opportunity to succeed as a Qb for us, if he then flames out then maybe Wr is in future, but even then, it would be a stretch to see him there.

Thiggy to Buffalo only makes sense if the pick is a #2 OR they offer a player we need and they really don't have great depth to be able to offer anyone we'd want and would be attractive with the risk involved.

Bpk likes this.
  19. Rick 1966

Rick 1966 Professional Hipshooter

Nov 23, 2007
    Powell, WY
    It would make sense to trade him if Penny comes back but I firmly believe it would come back to bite us in the butt.

20. xphinfanx

xphinfanx Stay strong my friends.

Nov 1, 2009
    I would rather keep him as the number two who knows how pennington is going to be and we don't need a season thrown on pat white.

21. pumpdogs

pumpdogs Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2009
    delaware
    I really like thigpen and i would be very dissapointed if we trade him for anything less than a 2 and a 4th.If henne goes down the season will be over real fast with pat white in there instead of thigpen.I really think penny will get a starting gig somewhere maybe even the cardinals.

22. LandShark13

LandShark13 New Member

Oct 20, 2009
    North Miami
    Keep Thiggy Trade White.

23. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Rumor has Marshawn Lynch on the trade block...

Thiggy for Lynch?

That would be really tempting as it boils down to a 5ht rd pick for Lynch, RW is 32, RB is injured a lot.

Hmm....:shifty:

Bpk likes this.
  24. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    Wrong to say no just based on how hideous he is?

DolfanCole likes this.
  25. CitizenSnips

CitizenSnips hmm.

Nov 29, 2007
    PA
    If we could sucker the bills into giving us anything over a 4th rounder we fire the trigger with no hesitation.

You've gotta be kidding me if you think he's worth more to us than that.

Bpk likes this.
  26. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    I would gladly trade Thigpen for a conditional 2011 4th that could turn into a 2nd if he plays 70% of their snaps (or a 3rd for 50%). :shifty:

jetssuck, Bpk and Xeticus like this.
  27. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Marshawn has a "beast" mode...:lol:

28. Muck

Muck Throwback Uniform Crusader Retired Administrator

Nov 25, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    This is a quarterback driven league now more than ever. And to me, no intelligent organization should be in the business of dealing away decent young quarterbacks for third day picks. The goal is to deal away young quarterbacks stuck behind better young quarterbacks for first day picks.

Personally, I'm not looking to trade Thigpen. If they offered a #2, I'm seriously considering that. Nothing less. Pennington or no Pennington, they're a division rival for god's sake.

As we've seen time and time again, you must have not only the starting QB situation cemented, but you have to have that #2 spot settled. Look no further than Dallas a few years ago. They went with 40-year old Brad Johnson and it cost them. The next year they grabbed Jon Kitna. Hell look no further than Week 17 when Pat White had to take over.
    To me, Thigpen is a guy that can come in and light a fire. He can come off the bench and win you a game. He can win you games. The guy just has 'it' and makes things happen.

I don't believe in Pat White. He is not better than Thigpen in any way, shape or form and I've said it since the deal was done. If he played like Joe Montana or Jeff Garcia or Doug Flutie, that'd be one thing. But as a running QB, 190 pounds is too small for the NFL. I firmly believe that if we had Thigpen prior to the draft, we would have selected a linebacker at 44.

I suspect that if something were to happen, Buffalo would make a move after the draft. I just can't imagine them hitching their wagon to Tyler Thigpen during free agency if Sam Bradford checks out. If you're gonna burn a #2, might as well do it jumping up in the first round.

To close, I'd feel much better about Henne-Pennington-Thigpen than any combination involving White.

29. CitizenSnips

CitizenSnips hmm.

Nov 29, 2007
    PA
    here's the thing bro. I just can't understand that logic. He came off the bench for us once this season. He did exactly the opposite. He went in, defense gave him the ball in scoring position, and he lost the game.

How can you have such confidence in a guy who was picked off twice in 8 throws?

And at the same time you're casting off White already. We didn't even let White pass 8 times all season. We know what we have in Thigpen. We have no idea what we have in White.

30. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    Because he had a TD pass in those 8 throws?

I would bet he didn't see 8 passes with the starting offense all season before coming in that game (I'm counting practice).

For his career he still has more TDs than INTs too.

Xeticus and late again like this.
  31. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    His second throw just sailed a little bit. I dont know how you even count that as an INT, the game was pretty much over. That just happens when you have to pass.

As for the first, his release looked really funny and elongated. I think the defensive player near him might have gotten a hand on his arm (slightly) which caused the strange release and late throw. Ginn was actually open until the safety was able to break on the ball (because of the long release)

32. Sceeto

Sceeto Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2008
    New York
    Totally agree bro! That's along the lines of what I was saying.:up:

33. xphinfanx

xphinfanx Stay strong my friends.

Nov 1, 2009
    Bpk likes this.
  34. Muck

Nov 25, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    Because I'm not basing it off 8 passes.

I'm basing it off those 8 passes plus what I saw when he started 11 games for KC in 2008. ;)

Do you know how many reps the #3 QB gets in practice each day? Maybe 1 or 2. Maybe. Other than that he's on the sideline or running the scout team, not even practicing our offense.

Look how much better Chad Henne looked from San Diego to Buffalo. The difference was he got to prepare and take reps during the week.

But on that Pittsburgh game alone, you can't tell me you didn't see a big difference between Thigpen and Pat White. I mean, we were running a Pop Warner offense with White.

I don't hate White. I think he can improve, but so can Thigpen. Like I said in September, Thigpen can do everything we want White to do, better. I mean, the guy caught a 36-yard TD pass out of the Wildcat in 2008!

LandShark13 and Sceeto like this.
  35. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    For me trading Thigpen to Buff would depend on getting CP and having a player I was targeting. I wouldn't just want a random 3rd rounder. I would have to have somebody in mind who was falling in the draft or be using that 3rd as part of a package to get somebody in particular.

Then I could make a real comparison as to whether it made sense for us or not.

36. MaddMatt

MaddMatt New Member

Oct 25, 2009
    Miami
    I have to wonder if Tuna and Ireland were sitting around last year and thinking that we can get Thigpen for a fifth, and that's not a bad deal.

We can see that there is no QB coming up in FA who is worth a damn, and there is a good chance we can get Penny back.

We can see getting a whole lot more than we paid, and that is a good thing. Worst case, we got someone better than anyone else we can get.

What a great move.

37. Muck

Nov 25, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    By the same token, I think we have to realize that Buffalo also sees that the QB market is bare and could very well be looking at Pennington as well. That's got to be a team on his radar, along with Arizona.

I would HATE to have to root against Pennington. But the point being, if they had a chance to deal Thigpen to Buffalo and keep Pennington (away from Buffalo), it makes things even more interesting.

38. Desides

Desides Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    Lynch is a JAG. Fred Jackson is a better player.

39. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Same story at OT BTW

Gardner and Murtha are two really good T prospects, whether they develop remains to be seen but the raw talent is there for both.

As Lynch for Thiggy, Lynch is still quite young, and I would not mind Roscoe Parrish either, but that is probably too much salary to take on for two players who had indifferent 2009's especially when a starting Qb is involved.

A #2 that could be a conditional #1 pick sounds about right to me.

40. MaddMatt

MaddMatt New Member

Oct 25, 2009
    Miami
    IMO, Penny is at the point in his career where a little stability for him, and his family, matters.

I cannot see him going to a new team, new O, and new coaches if it can be possibly avoided. Especially a "fate worse than death" in Buffalo.

Penny is not a good fit in Zona.