1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Two step's forward, two step's back, equal's BREAKTHROUGH game..

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by djphinfan, Oct 13, 2010.

1. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Going by what I heard from Ricky williams here..

Sparano looks at the team, and judges them Incrementally, so to the team, during the first quarter of the season, they are better relative to years prior..

Ricky williams says the energy of a football team and what makes them good at the end of the year, is, which team has the ability to bounce back after gettin punched, and who can fix those problems and learn from the mistake's, then execute the solutions, he says that Sparano is excellent at this, and is the reason why the team gets better as the team progresses thru the season.

My first question to that theory was, why are you making those mistakes to begin with?

His answer was, every team does, its about corrections and improving game to game.

He said after the 2 wins to begin the year, the team felt good as to where it was, AND THEY GOT COMPLACENT..he followed that disturbing statement that this is the path of a young team, and he said that our fans should expect a breakthrough game from the team this week...He put the pressure on himself, and says that Sparano is a genious at identifying their problems as a team, correcting them, and coming out better for it.

He told the fans to stick by the team, and become a part of their family, and to understand that the down's are necessary to learn and improve on, and not to act how the media dictates to us..and that Coach Sparano will lead us to where we all wanna go..

He said the team really trusts their coach{you could tell that ricky really respects his coach}..and that the team has goals this season set, and that those goals are right on track to be attained...

What's my take on everything he said..... Well,I see how complex the path of progression is in the NFL...Its so hard for me to understand the complacency part at home {but I have my theories. lol} but I totally see where he is coming from in terms of how this young team is being prepared to play its best football mid season to the end of the year...The ups and downs is part of the process, its not a lack of effort that are causing these up's and down's, just youth, and figuring out what the team is good at, what their weaknesses are, and fixing them as we move forward...that may sound mundane, but whoever does it the best, win's the game of progression.

I know why these past two weeks hurt so bad, imo because we the fans had a chance to create our own identity, we were ready to back the team unlike at any time during that stadium's history, we smelled a chance to become the best football team in the league if it played out like we had in our minds {4 and 0}, unfortuanately, thats not how this game and a team of 53 men work...we must understand there are gonna be steps forward and steps back, it's who corrects the steps back the best, is who winds up standing in the end, and for that process, I trust our coach, because I have seen how good he corrects mistakes, and how his team tangibly gets better as the season goes, and if we started better then the previous seasons at this point, then I would think were right on track to be competing for a playoff spot at the end.

I look forward to what a breakthrough game looks like, and if it does happen, then man!, will this explanation make sense....

Dont ever forget a flash, a flash is real...it may go away because of the mental part of the game interfering, once the mental part of the game comes, the flash will be back.

the 23rd, Disnardo, Merauder and 20 others like this.
  2. Ohio Fanatic

Ohio Fanatic Twuaddle or bust Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    was this on an online chat?

3. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    Nah. Morning cigarette :shifty:

Finsanity, jetssuck and SICK like this.
  4. FinFan_Est.1984

FinFan_Est.1984 Get Aggressive!!!

Jan 6, 2008
    So. Calif.
    Absolutely, positively the best and most even-keeled, information coming from a man that has had those set backs in his own life and broken through. I really trust Ricky and what he says when it comes to football, his team and his coach. This guy has matured and figured out what is real and what is a facade.

Thanks DJ for the info and do you have a link? I would love to hear or read it myself.

5. mroz

mroz Fix the OL Club Member

Oct 26, 2008
    SF Bay Area
    Boy they really learned from the Jets punt block... then they went out and executed their corrections to a T. :pity:

Merauder, RGF and Pandarilla like this.
  6. adamprez2003

adamprez2003 Senior Member

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    this is what i have been saying the last two weeks. I dont know why it got into some fans heads that year three is the year where all problems are fixed and we're supposed to win a super bowl. it honestly boggles my mind. the main thing is to improve. even though the record didnt reflect it, we were improved last year. we introduced our franchise QB, we added much needed talent and youth to our defensive backfield and WR and we were able to compete with the best teams in the league. This year we took another huge leap and even though 2-2 doesnt seem impressive, this early in the season, records dont matter as much.

I break down the season into qtrs. the first four games are virtually a preseason where teams work out kinks. the next four games is when most teams play to their potential. games 8-12 is a continuation and for a few teams its when they find their groove. the last four games are basically to continue the momentum and hopefully stay healthy.

For the Dolphins the next 8 games will define our season. not the first four and not the last four. this will be the true Dolphins team and a good indication of where we are in the big picture. The potential is there to have a Super Bowl run. Probably won't because we're too young and young teams tend to be up and down. But we have the talent. Next year we should have the talent and more importantly the consistency. So kick back, enjoy, the season is just beginning and I think we're going to surprise alot of people

7. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    If I was computer literate enough to be able to post a radio link I would bro..

Its in the archives of the Sid rosenburg's show on qam..It's a remarkable interview from a professional athlete, giving insight that you never hear..

He asks us the fans to not be down on them because they lost at home, he said until they recognize their weaknesses, they cannot become the true team they know they can become, thats why its a necessary evil of sort's, and its every teams mission to identifying weaknesses and fixing them, that is the game in the NFL, and he and the team happen to think that their coach is extremely wise at it...

8. RGF

RGF THE FINSTER Club Member

Nov 24, 2007
    NY

I`d feel a lot more confident about this statement if the Patriot game was a remarkable improvement after the Jet game. I`ll take the "wait and see" approach.

jetssuck and gunn34 like this.
  9. FinFan_Est.1984

Jan 6, 2008
    So. Calif.
    I will look it up Brother. This is refreshing to hear. I am usually a glass is half full kind of guy, but lately around here people have been dipping into my cup and replacing my clean water with some dirty muddy liquid that I need to keep pouring out.

All in all I am proud of my Fins and you know what, being over here on the left coast and talking with a bunch of Raider, and Charger fans; they seem to have more faith in our Miami Dolphins than the many on this forum do.

After the *** whooping special teams debacle we had last week, I didn't get any smart *** remarks that would have been said in years past, just a lot of don't worry you guys will be fine.

At least we are not the only ones getting blocked punts......:up:

10. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    I know this, I saw a player in ricky improve on his mistakes, and look real good in the last game relative to his prior's..

Imagine if the coach can get that jump out of as many players as possible during one game.....The quest to achieve getting everyone playing their best is what coaching is all about..maybe Our coach has his ways of accomplishing it...it just takes a part of the season to organize and construct such a feat...

we know were talented, once the mental parts of the game get fixed...the flashes will start to reappear again.

11. mullingan

mullingan New Grandbaby Pic!!!

Nov 27, 2007
    Gainesboro, TN
    Great read! Thanks DJ

djphinfan likes this.
  12. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    and the whack came after the 4th game of the season... relatively quick and precise..

13. FinFan_Est.1984

Jan 6, 2008
    So. Calif.
    Here is the link: http://wqam.com/index.php?page=740

"I like some Lionel Ritchie" ....lol

14. Killerphins

Killerphins The Finger

Nov 11, 2008
    I just have to wonder how a team young or not can get complacent after the two ugly wins over the Bills and the Vikes.
    I have to put that one on the coach for allowing the over confidence factor to kick in.

15. RGF

Nov 24, 2007
    NY

Damn right!!

16. Pandarilla

Pandarilla Purist Emeritus

Sep 10, 2009
    Boone, NC
    I love how you misspelled genius...I'll take that as a subconscious caveat.

Stop the hate child!

17. FinFan_Est.1984

Jan 6, 2008
    So. Calif.
    Man I fuc$king love the way Ricky answers questions and doesn't get pushed around! Very logical man!

18. Larryfinfan

Larryfinfan 17-0...Priceless Club Member

That statement surely doesn't follow true from last years' team. That team digressed as the season went on. Now, I'm as excited as anyone for a 'breakthrough game' but I just don't see the tendencies this year that make this team look like it's ready for that breakout game ??? What is it you see ??

19. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    some of us were on the same page when it came to expectation's, but some have the right to expect what they want no matter how unreasonable it is..for me, this insight should tell us that incremental progression is what the NFL is all about, now taking that theory from where we started, relative to other teams, it seems like were on the right path considering we had to gut the team 2 and a half years ago.. crunch the numbers, and I dont know if any other team in history has gone from the gutter that we were in, to the big dance, in its third year.The mistakes must be made at our fandom's expense, so the best team that can correct's those mistakes are the teams left standing at the end of the season..

If there is one thing that our team as a whole does well, imo that's the ability to show tangible improvement collectively, especially in the situational dept..

we know they like the road..its home where our biggest issues are....

Interesting no?,you would think for one of the youngest teams in the league it would be the opposite...:shifty:

The obstacle of playing in that stadium and learning how to win is a huge one, and I believe that our team is finding that out...lets hope like Ricky say's, they will get better at their weakness...cause it is a big one..

adamprez2003 likes this.
  20. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    Great stuff from Ricky as always, some of us fans (me included bigtime)take this team and game very serious, almost to the extreme. We need to just ride it out, and enjoy the journey.

I was born in 1987, i have never even seen the dolphins IN a superbowl, let alone win one. I have cried, rooted, fought, and yelled for this team since i can remember. This team IS my family....truly....i named my son after zach thomas. Its in my blood, its in my heart.....i will be there till the end. and that day....we finally do win a title. omg i dunno what ill do. it will be one of the most incredible things ever!

21. adamprez2003

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    how about putting that on youth. when have you ever seen a young team be consistent week in and week out?

22. Pandarilla

Sep 10, 2009
    Boone, NC
    [​IMG]

Hasn't everyone on this board heard these same cliche' "theories" a million times over?

I'm still going to watch the effin' game, just don't patronize me with any more parabolic fan theories, coachspeak or any mention of the word family.

[​IMG]

Damnit Ricky! I'm a fan, not a philosopher!

BlameItOnTheHenne, jetssuck and SICK like this.
  23. Killerphins

Killerphins The Finger

Nov 11, 2008
    Inconsistency is one thing but being over confident going into a home stretch against two division rivals. Once again I put that on coach to keep them humbled and focused. Ricky admitted they were complacent after the first two wins that weren't impressive. I see that as inexcusable.

BicketyBam likes this.
  24. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    inexcusable.....but def. not unbelievable in our situation

Killerphins likes this.
  25. Killerphins

Killerphins The Finger

Nov 11, 2008
    yeah no kidding....ain't that the truth :up:

SICK likes this.
  26. adamprez2003

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    doesnt being overconfident go with youth. i mean how many humble 22 year olds do you know

Dol-Fan Dupree and djphinfan like this.
  27. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    :shifty:

adamprez2003 likes this.
  28. RickyNeverInhaled

RickyNeverInhaled Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2009
    Alabama
    the special teams dropped the ball in that game and took a step back. look for that group to improve after that game.

RGF likes this.
  29. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    It has been my biggest beef on the record....I remember last year, when we showed our *** to the bucs and titan's at home, I ranted on this forum and folks got pissed at me, the reason why I was so pissed was because I saw the team play flat and unemotional...I continue to believe we have issues at home.

When Parcells first came aboard..I wrote and I quote, ''To get a team that can play in this town, in that stadium, will be the most difficult task, and it will take a special group of players to accomplish the goal..

I don't want to make this a stadium rant or thread, but we cannot continue to ignore that other teams do not have any disadvantages when playing in our stadium, I believe our team is trying and realizing how difficult that task is going to be and overcome...you have to learn to raise your game on your own, while the other teams brings it, and is comfortable..its a unique set of circumstances that don't favor us in any way... we just have to learn.

Its a weakness that our young players must overcome, because it is real, its just not on the playing field..

back on topic...

GMJohnson likes this.
  30. RickyNeverInhaled

RickyNeverInhaled Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2009
    Alabama
    i'm just wondering if i should pick up ricky on my ff team. he's available but i have ronnie.

31. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    Well, since Sparano took over, I have noticed tendencies to improve upon situations after experiencing them for the first time...

Iam gonna think about your question for a while and come back to it.

32. DePhinistr8

DePhinistr8 Season Ticket Holder

Mar 24, 2008
    While we might not have the noisiest stadium around, from where I was sitting (on my couch in PA), the fan noise and enthusiasm was awesome through the TV. For whatever reason it didn't seem to carry on to the players. I can't remember a season starting out with that much fan participation.

I'm gonna agree with Killa...that's on Sparano to get these guys focused and not reading their own headlines...

33. The G Man

The G Man Git 'r doooonnne!!!

Mar 18, 2009
    Gotta say...I agree.

34. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    I cannot disagree with this statement, because I believe in humility and staying hungry, but iam trying to find the answer, cause its real deep, and ya know KP, the characters on our team do not match that type of character it seems..

Maybe complacency is just something that is inevitable for everyone in the game, until you learn how to deal with it, and until you learn how to self motivate....the season is long, we'll see how this homefield issue play's out...iam totally intrigued by the dynamic's.

35. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    he put a lot of pressure on himself so I would say its a good bet that he performs at a high level....and thats all you can bet on in the betting business...lol..

RickyNeverInhaled likes this.
  36. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    Its an effort in futility...

The players are not playing in an intimate setting, they are seperated from their fan's and imo, that dynamic cannot be underestimated to a professional athlete that considers themselves Gladiators and animals on many levels..

Its something that we need to understand and consciously do a better job of self motivation if were gonna overcome it.

37. RGF

Nov 24, 2007
    NY

I sure hope so. They had a few weeks to correct it. :up:

38. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    Iam sorry if I offended you with this thread...I understand your frustration...

Iam just very curious as to why a team plays poorly, is it a talent issue, a mental one, or is it a series of natural progressions that young teams have to incrementally achieve.

39. Pandarilla

Sep 10, 2009
    Boone, NC
    Dude, that's certainly not directed at you. Just anyone buying into it.:shifty:

BTW- you just nailed it with the talent, mental and young comment. Just factor in the unpredictability of violence, concussions, coaching paranoia quotient, private affair distractions, injuries, churning the roster, rythmn, media annoyance , biorythms, toughness of schedule, contract years, weather, global socioeconomic impact, chemistry issues, viral pandemics(in our case), Jung's theory of the collective unconscious, Mayan 2012 prophesies, douche logarithms and the dreaded bulletin board material...And you just may be on to something.:tongue2::wink2:

adamprez2003 and djphinfan like this.
  40. BicketyBam

BicketyBam No Fist Pumps Allowed

Sep 6, 2010
    New Milford, CT
    You are a great fan, Sick. As much as I dislike the Dolphins, I hope you don't have to suffer as long as I have with the Jets. Decades of having your heart broke wears on you. Unless the Jets are up by 28 at the half, I can't even enjoy the game. I keep waiting for the other shoe to drop. I had barf in the back of my throat watching your Dolphins march down the field in the closing minutes against us. The Vikings game nearly gave me a heart attack. It f'ing sucks. Hang in there. I am sure you won't have to wait as long as I have :up:

Fan....short for fanatic.

SICK, RickyNeverInhaled and GMJohnson like this.