1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tunsil: Didn't prepare enough for Blitzes...

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Galant, Dec 16, 2018.

1. Galant

Galant Love - Unity - Sacrifice - Eternity

Apr 22, 2014
    That sounds a lot like this one is on Burke - what do you think?

2. Berezo

Berezo Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2012
    Atlanta, GA
    Why wouldn’t you prepare enough ? Sounds like another Burke issue

3. Surfs Up 99

Surfs Up 99 Team Flores & Team Tua

May 5, 2016
    How many games have we played this season? Surely the Vikings aren’t the first team to blitz. Fundamentally, isn’t this something we prepare for on a regular basis anyway? The Vikings may occasionally use different stunts, but the blocking concept should be similar, right? And on a similar note, who is responsible for the protection call? I realize it is incorporated in the play call, but Tannehill looked like he made no adjustments. It looked like he just rolled with what Gase sent in. Is this normal? Shouldn’t he audible to a better play to take advantage? (Excuse my ignorance, please)

Last edited: Dec 17, 2018
    mbsinmisc likes this.
  4. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    This has been a constant problem during Adam Gase's tenure.

If teams force them into obvious passing situations they can basically pick the protection packages apart at-will. He can kind of hide it by going very conservative when the game isn't on the line, but in the clutch he's going to get guys killed.

5. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    That sounds like he’s busted Pate..

6. Galant

Apr 22, 2014
    ""It seemed like eight of them were coming every play. We ultimately couldn't get it figured out and on the same page together. It ended up starting a snowball effect," Dolphins right guard Jesse Davis said. "Signaling protection starts with the quarterback giving the MIKE (linebacker) point then the center on getting us all on the same page. It seemed like we were running out of time a good bit and we couldn't get on the same page.""

http://www.espn.com/blog/miami-dolp...hins-playoff-hopes-crater-as-offense-sputters

bigballa2102 and Surfs Up 99 like this.
  7. bigballa2102

bigballa2102 Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2013
    So CAL
    Honestly that's not tunsils job, its on the center about 20% but 80% on the qb, the qb has to slide protection let the line know where the extra guys are coming from. signal to the rb to block left or right or A gaps. bring in the tight end to help chip. The qb position does all of that. just not in Miami we have a qb that literally just runs plays, how in the world we are always at the bottom of the play clock before we snap it is beyond me. its not from changes at the line.

Fin-O and Surfs Up 99 like this.
  8. brandon27

brandon27 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    That's pretty incriminating right there on a few fronts to be honest. If the LT is saying they weren't prepared for Minny's blitz packages, and they couldn't even adjust during the game, there's some pretty big issues there. From the QB diagnosing the D, and ID'ing the Mike, and the Center not adjusting and communicating the protection calls, and then the guys not executing that, that's a complete disconnect of the offensive structure.

IMO that falls on your OC, OL coach, QB, C, and in our case, the HC as well since he's essentially running everything offense. To me, it falls right in like what what Dpate was saying earlier. Lack of preparation, not knowing your opponent, not knowing how to adjust your protection packages to help etc. etc.

That's a pretty damning quote. It's almost Tunsil coming out and saying hey... yeah, as an OL we got abused today, but it's really not because we didn't give an effort, it's really because we weren't ever put in the best situations to succeed today, on every level possible. It sounds to me like every little detail that should help you build a protection package, failed the team completely. We can all assign blame however we want, but no matter how you look at it it falls on your OC/HC/OLcoach/QB/C. Personally, I think I'd put it in that order. The OC should have a plan in place and have everyone prepared for Minny's D, and we should have been able to adjust. They're also responsible for communicating that down the the QB and C. Then it's up to the QB and C to actually execute things based on the information they've been given to prepare for the game. **** rolls downhill, and in this case, it was a big stinky load right from the top of the ladder. When your OC, is essentially your HC as well, if I'm the one Gase reports to... I'd be asking questions around that specific issue today. What in the hell happened, what did you do all week in preparation, why did your plan fail, and why couldn't you adjust once it was clear the plan wasn't working? It was like the Cincy game all over again, except we weren't down our RT and LT, but it sure looked like we were because they were clueless as to what to do out there.

That's not a good look, and stinks to me of a lack of preparation. Maybe giving the team a few days off after last Sunday wasn't a great idea.

9. Galant

Apr 22, 2014
    Just to clarify, the second quote, in text, is Jesse Davis, not Tunsil.

First thought coming to mind is that we're on our backup centre. But still, he's been there a while now. Definite issues need sorting out all round.

brandon27 and resnor like this.
  10. Surfs Up 99

Surfs Up 99 Team Flores & Team Tua

May 5, 2016
    This is sort of the point I was trying to make about Tannehill in another thread. Either he doesn't understand or he won't make the adjustments needed at the line of scrimmage based on what he is seeing from the defense. He seems to do ok reading coverages, but I am not sure about the pre-snap stuff. It might not be his fault though. That might be the way he was taught all of these years and he just runs what is called in from the sideline.

11. brandon27

brandon27 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    I couldn't watch the video here at work, but if we've got two OL essentially sharing the same sentiment, to me it says a lot that they're willing to go out of their way to deflect blame from themselves. To me, watching that game yesterday it seemed pretty clear there was a lot of confusion among the OL on who to block, and the look on Tannehill's face after some of those sacks had the look of being stunned, like a lot of what they were facing was completely foreign to them. They looked unprepared. Usually when you see guys on the OL blocking nobody, barely getting a hand on guys, or being out of position so badly against DL, and blitzers, it's a pretty clear indication that the protection is way out of whack and there's a lack of preparation by all involved.

It's easy to blame the QB and C, and yes they have the responsibilities on field around protections, but they are making their calls based on what they think they're seeing from the D based on their preparation, study and plan the coaches are asking them to execute. If they're getting it all wrong out there, it's either because they didn't know or understand it well enough, or it was completely wrong, or... I suppose they're just flat out stupid. However, I doubt they get to this level if that's the case. To me, it's preparation, and being able to diagnose it on the field. If the QB/C aren't diagnosing it correctly, then IMO, they clearly didn't get it to begin with. Much like taking a test/exam in our school days... you either knew it, or you didn't. This isn't much different. If you were prepared well, and educated well on what you should expect, and how you should deal with it, you should have some success. When your offense looks as awful and lost as ours did again yesterday, it's pretty clear these guys were missing something and they didn't have the necessary tools to put themselves in positions to succeed.

More often than not IMO, it's not that the QB or C aren't getting it. It's likely that they're working off of bad intel and a bad plan, and they're not seeing things correctly on the field because they aren't prepared properly to deal with it. The number of times I saw offensive lineman yesterday complete whiff and let guys go unblocked, they looked confused more than anything. The same look was on Tannehill's face several times on those plays. To me, that shows a disconnect between the players and coaches with yesterdays game plan and calls IMO. Its easy to say Ryan and Swanson need to call out the protections, that's true, but if they aren't seeing it and calling it right as often as they seemed to collectively blow it yesterday, to me... that means they weren't properly prepared to deal with it, and to me, that's on coaching.

Pauly, Brasfin and resnor like this.
  12. bigballa2102

bigballa2102 Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2013
    So CAL

like someone else said on here you either do it gases way or your out. So maybe your right, either way that will not get you far in the nfl unless you are a godly like talent as in mahomes. Theres nothing else out there so we are stuck with RT unless we get GB ex coach and he brings in a vet like flacco or something thats the only way RT is not taking snaps next yr is gase has to go to. you gotta get rid of the whole bro-mance not just half.

Surfs Up 99 likes this.
  13. Brasfin

Brasfin Well-Known Member

Apr 27, 2013
    Brazil
    Seems to me he was singling out Tannehill and/or Swanson as the ones mostly responsible for the protection breakdowns, otherwise he wouldn't have given those specific details.

14. Brasfin

Brasfin Well-Known Member

Apr 27, 2013
    Brazil
    Looking back, I think when you add up all of these factors:
    1) Road game (we've sucked at them lately)
    2) Facing a good defense
    3) Coming back from an emotionally draining victory
    4) One less day of preparation

It's really pretty obvious we would get destroyed like that.

I personally was expecting a loss, though I was hoping for a win, as always.

Surfs Up 99 likes this.